Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something?

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Am I missing something?

I started playing Paladins about a month ago, and really enjoy it... up to a point. I main Talus, and got him lvl 33.
    I thought I'd spend the cash to get access to Ranked games and I gotta say, the whole experience is very negative.

My first game... wait in queue for 20 minutes... game loads and Talus is banned. Np. I go support. Game lasts 10 minutes.
    Second game... wait 20 minutes. A player doesn't load so game gets dropped... wait another 10 minutes... Talus is banned. I go Tank. Whatever. Boring.
    Third game... wait 20 minutes... Talus is banned. I quit and watch tv.

Rubbish.

Why isn't there a proper lobby where once you're matched up, that group stays together and you can play again and again without the crazy waiting times?

And what's the point of maining a champion if it's banned all the time? It's weird, because in casual quick games I rarely see other Talus players, so I figure he's not much of a threat right? But in ranked it's like he's the ultimate weapon or something? What's that about?

Am I missing something? Should I be in a party to make the ranked games more streamline?

Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    I personally dislike ranked, it sucks that your team wasn't great... My best advice for you is to stick with it, try to expand your horizons, talus and drogoz are often banned in ranked, so try to have an a respectable amount of heroes to be able to fill in whatever your team needs... Also, if you're having trouble finding a game, try to play ranked during the weekends and Friday nights... That should cut the wait times down... But most of all, don't worry about how toxic others are... games are meant to be fun, Good luck man.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger First Class 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered Forum Tier 3
    1) for going into ranked you need at least 3 champs per role you can play decently. This EXACTLY because your champ can be banned/picked by others
    2) you should not enter ranked at such low level and we so few champ you can play
    3) ask yourself why Talus is banned. Hint: OP. Then ask yourself if you're good enough to enter ranked. From what I've understood, you won many games by using an OP champ.
    In general: what is this global obsession with entering ranked? The rest of the game is just as good, without risking to spoil the game to other 9 players, just because you're too inexperienced to enter ranked. :-/
    I've finally found it!

New to the forum? Have a look >>>here<<<! Some useful answers.

#AggressiveSupports
    I'm tired of repeating the same things, watch this: link

"It's just Casual/ Go Ranked if you want a decent team/You are low tier, so you're bad." Rage

Beta Player Grand Prince M3RC3N4RI0's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 1 year registered
    Talus is almost never banned on EU and US. Try another server if you have to wait 20 minutes for a ranked match. For a low rank player (below platin) this is not normal; on silver and gold I wait around 2-5 minutes usually on EU or US. Except you play at 4 a clock in the night.

Level
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 10000 Experience Points Tagger First Class 1 year registered Forum Tier 4
    Hmmm. What rank/server are you? I used to be plat but this season MMR effed me over and I'm in silver. Between any of those ranks I've never had queue times longer than maybe 9min? But typically around or less than 5, and I played ranked today. I'm in NA server.

Also, Talus is considered a good champ generally. He's strong, he has a strong getaway that you can't counter, and when he comes at you with Overcharge if he has decent aim you're essentially screwed. So I get why he's banned. That being said, I never see him banned -- it's usually Dredge, Imani, maybe a good tank like Koa, and then someone else who pumps out damage pretty well (Tyra or Lian etc). But never Talus. How strange.

Anyway you've played two ranked games so far? Matchmaking can be dumb, but even then I have to say that's not enough to judge it yet. Give it more of a chance. At least now you have the champs to enjoy more of casual if, like me, you decide ranked just kinda is meh most of the time.

I'm only playing ranked to get that Grohk skin.... ;;^;;
    I'm a Ying main

On a quest to collect all Ying skins. Missing:
    -Quicksilver

Member Recruit
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Thanks for all the feedback. Good advice all round.

I had a good session on Friday night, and Sunday morning.

There seems to be a real problem with the queuing and MM system. I can understand why it has to be so rigid in Ranked, but Casual should be much more lenient imo. I played a couple of Ranked games and the experience of twiddling my thumbs and gazing at a loading screen kinda killed the joy. I have enough of gazing at render bars on the screens at work, so... pff.

It's not that the games and/or players are bad, or that the actual gameplay is bad. Far from it, it's intense and usually everyone is on the ball.

Talus is definitely my style of play, and I have a connection there, but I'll happily play as another champion for the team. I'm all about playing for the objective, and the win.

I've been playing online FP shooters since '98/'99 . Hard-core Battlefield from 2004 (clans , forums, competitive, etc).

Paladins seems to be one step removed from having a fluid user experience when it comes to match making. There's something in the way and it creates a disconnect. Great game once you're In, but Ranked could be SO much better.

Thanks again for the advice.

Beta Player Grand Prince M3RC3N4RI0's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 1 year registered
    Casual is 1-2 minutes waiting if you play at EU or NA server.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Yes. However, the user experience is flawed. If someone doesn't choose, then the whole game gets re-queued. Why? The game crashes and you get a 20 minute ban when you re-boot? Why? After each match you have to re-queue. Why? Etc etc

Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Overdrive 500 Experience Points
    I'm on PC. My casual Q time is almost always within 10 seconds of 2:44. About the same on NA or EU.

In most cases we don't know why someone didn't pick - disconnect, crash, afk etc. If someone doesn't choose because they didn't get their favorite champion, what would be your solution in that case?

The ban is to discourage morons who quit for one reason or another. Likely the game can't tell the difference between this and a crash/internet hiccup.

Honestly, if a player has persistent crashes or internet outages, I don't want that player in my matches. It may not be his fault but still it ruins the matches of others who don't have problems.

Personally, I've never has a crash during a real match (only in shooting range after 30 minutes or so of clowning around).

The re-queue is to match with/against a new set of players. Some of the players you were with on either team may have become unavailable for one reason or another.

Why would you want to constantly be up against the same people? IMO, that would be boring if the enemy was inferior or unplayable if the enemy was much superior.
    Think ranked needs to raise the requirements?
    Post here: http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...tes-suggestion or anywhere else about it.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    For casual games...
    If someone doesn't pick: auto select the most appropriate champion.
    If you dont want to play with the same people: leave the game and your place is filled by someone else in a queue.
    Give a 20 min ban if you have repeated disconnects/afk etc. Not one.

Playing with the same people until you want to move on builds a healthy gaming community. You get to know people. You instinctively gravitate towards players on the same wavelength.