Thread: How to solve Torvald

Beta Player Marquess KicsitCsicska's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 1 year registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points

Post How to solve Torvald

It won't be short. Not because of I would like to change every marginal things, but because his kit is the most unbalanced among the champions.

His ally shielding playstyle is the best: it is almost (or not just almost) OP, others are bad. It is because Protection is effective, it has the lowest cooldown time and it can be even lower combinated by the card Timeshaper. His self shielding cards are bad since his Altering Current talent has been removed and his Nullify based style is also weak, because it isn't effective against tanks and the other enemies can counter it by buying Resillance.
    The ally shielding is effective but boring. His kit is realy intresting, all of his skills could be awesome with some buffs! He is too Protection based. He other skills should be buffed for make loadout points and talent put on them. I suggest to reduce the cooldown time of Recharcge and Nullify by 3s. It is the first step to make these skills worth to put loadout points on them.
    He works like a supporter, but do not get any elimination for shielding, while supporters get elim for healing. I think Torvald also deserves those elims.

Talents:

Field Study is a little bit better thank Thanks Grandpa, this talent needs a low nerf: decrease the dmg bonus from 30% to 25%.

Direct Current - and many other CC based talents in the game - also need the Resillance be nerfed, because theres no enaugh bonus what a 90% reduction can not be useless. And make the CC stuffs even more strong just because Resillance exists. It could make Resillance even more important...
    Anyways I do not agree about makes CC skills deal more dmg over the duration (what Direct Current and The Power Cosmeum gives), because it makes Resillance even more important against the CC based talents, and even more counterable by buying this item.
    I suggest to rework Direct current: Channeling Direct current doesn't slow Torvald and it doesn't affected by cc reduction. (because it has a direct effect)

Skill:

His Recharge would be still don't worth to upgrade by cards after its cd reduction, becasue it is realy weak and it enither has any talent for buff it. Torvald is realy weak on the ovjective, he deserves a selfshield buff anyways. I don't wanna make this skill OP just a little bit better for worth to put cards onto it at least...
    Standardize the shield: increase its max shield from 1800 to 2000 and decrease it's shield generation from 2150/s to 2000/s. (lets make them equal as the Protection's shield, I see no reason why it should be more complicated) And add his old talent - Altering Current - into his base kit, for make him more tanky and make the Recharge duration based cards better: increase the duration of Recharge from 1s to 2.5s It's still not a big deal, but could give him some sustain.

Cards:

The card Timeshaper is too important for Torvald. Until it exists, he can be specialized to being shield-slave. It can be effective, but it is boring as I and many other players wrote already. So I suggest to add an other bonus (and name) for it:
    Savior: Protection grants {6|6}% increased healing to its target for 2s or until the shield exists.
    // It is the main nerf I suggest to him. Timeshaper is very boring, OP, everybody uses it, this card makes him shield save. I add tons of buffs too, for makes him every other styles strong enaugh.

Winddancer is his other must-pick card. 50% speed bonus the a champion in the best time (while he/she is defended) is OP. I think its bonus would be still good as: Protection grants {8|8}% Movement Speed to its target for 2s or until the shield exists.

Scribe's Wit: It can reduce the cd of Nullify. It would become OP, because of the basic 3s reducing I've alreday suggested, 12-3-5=4s cd on Nullify is something crazy. If it had a cd reducer card, it would be too important combinated by Direct Current (even with a halved bonus), so I rather add a new bonus to this card: Enemies affected by Nullify slowed by {5|5}%.

Vital Grasp could give him some more shielding {150|150} just while Recharge is active (2.5s), because its low max shield. (It can be countered just by don't attack Torvald in that 1s...) It is literally nothing, this card should be reworked!
    Vital Grasp: Increase the max shield of Recharge by {250|250}.

This new bonus could save Eldritch Speed too, because it is totaly useless compared by Winddancer without a duration buff. It still needs a low buff, because Torvald doesn't need that speed so much while he is literally unkillable for those couple seconds: increase the speed bonus from {8|8}% to {12|12}%.

Rune Torrent is balanced, but his other ammo based cards are much worse: Induction and Glyph of the Fist.
    I suggest to triple Glyph of the Fist's bonus for make it a realy concurent of Rune Torrent. For comparison Inara's ammo is 3 times better and she has 3 times less ammo. Her magaizne extender card gives {1|1} ammo. Torvald definitly needs {3|3} for the same efficiency.
    He has already got an ammo generator and magazine buffer card. He lost the aim while he is Recharging, it's good time for reloading. I think he doesn't need a card what generates ammo after Recharge. But I've got a thousand times better idea how to rework Induction by add a realy special and awesome bonus for it! Induction: Your first shot after Recharge deals {50|50}% more damage.

His selfheal (and shield) bonus cards are realy bad: a frontliner deserves more heal and shield than other champions because its easier to hit him. Buff the heal bonus card's bonus from {50|50} to {80|80} and the shield bonus cards' bonus from {100|100} to {150|150}.
    His Infusion card heals him when activating Nullify. It happens when he faced an enemy and he is certainly affected by Cauterize this time. Get healed when activating Protection can be useful, because he can do it out of the combat. But this bonus can't be effective combinated by Nullify. I would like to rework and add a new name and the current "Direct Current's" bonus to it:
    Injection: Nullify deals {60|60} more damage.

Glyph of Siphoning: It gives you some shields when getting eliminations. We get why less often elims than activating Protection, so this card needs higher bonus than Hearthwarder. Even with the new, - support like - elimination geting system. Don't forget about if you pick Tovald, enemies will buy many wrecker, so the shield bonus cards have to have a higher bonus than average. I suggest to increase its shield bonus from {100|100} to {250|250}.

Bonus: {150|150} health for frontliners is so basic. Torvald isn't even a real frontliner, he has got the lowest HP among them, and he works like a support and an anti flanker. I would like to add a new kind of bonus for this card, what effect with him specialities: channeling skills.
    Glyph of Health: You regenerates {40|40} health per second while channeling a skill (Nullify, Recharge or Hyper Beam).

Edit: Recharge and Vital Grasp has been reworked, because Vital Grasp was the prerequisite of some other cards for be useful.
    Last edited by KicsitCsicska; 05-15-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: many stuffs added
    Thanks for reading my post!

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 1 year registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    I extended this post with many things since its first release. His OP ally shielder style has been turned down by remove the card what made it OP, buff many other cards and add new things as well, for make him even more customizable. There are:
    -Speeding Torvald
    -Tanky Torvald
    -Bursty Torvald
    -Heal booster Torvald
    -Selfheal Torvald
    -Slowing down Torvald
    -Giga magazine Torvald...
    with about the same power!

If you like it, and bored the Timeshaper lvl5 + Winddancer lvl5 loadout, please write it in the comment section below for show to the developers what we would like the change!

Beta Player Grand Prince M3RC3N4RI0's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 1 year registered
    My idea would be to completely remove the shield-slave play-style. A champ which has only the job to buff other champs is stupid. The concept is stupid. His bubble skill was first only 2 seconds duration, too short that in a normal ranked match he could base his play on it. Then his play-style as frontline tank and aggressive tank both got nerfed and therefor the duration of the bubble was increased to 4 seconds (now 3) or even 6 seconds with thanks grandpa.

Reduce the bubble duration back to 2 seconds, and bring back his other play-styles either as aggressive tank (buff nullify and damage) or the old tanky Torv. He needs a rework. Jayflare said they wont bring back old Torv, then we need version two, the aggro Torv. It's true that Torv, before he became bubble-Torv never was played at pro-play because he was too slow and easily killed. But he was played a lot in ranked.

I don't think that every champ MUST be played in pro-play. A champ can be much fun in ranked or casual who doesn't work in pro-play. Torv WAS fun in ranked when he wasn't played at pro-play and now he is played at pro-level but he is no fun anymore.
    Last edited by M3RC3N4RI0; 05-13-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    You are right about pro-play usage, and we agree about his shield-slave style should't be a thing.

But I don't want to nerf his Protection, rather delete the card what helps him concentrate to only this boring thing. It could frees 5 (+5 by the Winddancer nerf) loadout points in his loadouts. These point could be used for other playstyles to buff. He has many potetial to use, but many of his cards need realy high buffs.

Delete shield-slave style, free 10 loadout points (by nerf the OP cards), and buff the other cards for make the other styles viable. These three things are what my suggestion could solve in his kit. It contains the tanky and agressive styles, what you mentioned. My first comment is also about them and other styles as well

Main suggestion edit: Recharge and Vital Grasp has been reworked, because Vital Grasp was the prerequisite of some other cards for be useful.
    Last edited by KicsitCsicska; 05-15-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Beta Player Grand Prince M3RC3N4RI0's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 1 year registered
    I never used cards to buff protection before the shield-slave style was invented. Protection was one of his less important skills. They could remove this skill if you ask me. Damage/flanks do damage enough without being buffed from other champs, and it's more like something a support could do. I loved his old shield-absorbing skill to be honest.

Level
    Achievements:
    I think Protection is an unique thing in the game and he had this skill ever. It shouldn't be removed just because it is OP now (The same for Cauterize). I don't realy know what do you mean about shield-absorbing, but I like that he isn't a self shield based frontliner as many other are.