Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Healers aren't supposed to be protected?

Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2

Question Healers aren't supposed to be protected?

I have been doing my placement matches recently and most of them have been defeats so far but something surprised me, I was playing healer and kept telling them the flanker was on our backs and needed someone to peel them but my teammates in response told me as a healer I am supposed to dodge, I guess a few champions have good escape abilities but I didn't know in Paladins you weren't supposed to get help as a healer, kind of goes against other team based games I have played, so how is it supposed to work?

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 Overdrive 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Hello VanFanel, yes, unfortunately you encounter this behaviour towards helping supports in the game - you often don't get protection from the dps, even when staying grouped up, it is not required to look around and help the support which is just in the moment getting flanked, tunnel vision etc, and that is not even speaking about surviving away from team. Problem with the supports is currently, they are too team dependant to be effective, and in the burst meta they go down quickly when cornered or flanked. There is a Support Balance thread made about it in the subforum, if you like to read or comment yourself.
    Per aspera ad astra.

Beta Player Duke ElectroPaladin's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    Supports are definitely supposed to be protected, whatever game it is. In paladins, there used to be a golden time when a good support had the ability to give a flank a hard time killing them but that time has long passed.
    The best advice i can give you is stick to your dps(if he is still alive and not ran into the enemy backling) or stay ahead of him, in this way he will mostly spot the flank as well as the flank will spot the dps first and focus him.
    But expect to be annoyed a bit, because you can be dropped on and nuked, then the flank would die themselves aswell but that doesn't matters at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Peinzius View Post
    Also Life Exchange beat Resonance in votes >
    Quote Originally Posted by GeSteYiam View Post
    Majority also voted for trump.
    Mic drop

Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Averey View Post
    Hello VanFanel, yes, unfortunately you encounter this behaviour towards helping supports in the game - you often don't get protection from the dps, even when staying grouped up, it is not required to look around and help the support which is just in the moment getting flanked, tunnel vision etc, and that is not even speaking about surviving away from team. Problem with the supports is currently, they are too team dependant to be effective, and in the burst meta they go down quickly when cornered or flanked. There is a Support Balance thread made about it in the subforum, if you like to read or comment yourself.
    So the burst meta is far from gone with the latest update I guess.

Beta Player Viscount TrueVingador's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points
    Sups should be able to defend themselves. Or, at least, evade flanks attacks.

Unfortunatly this is not what is happening nowadays because of burst, sups nerfs.

Anyway, since I play as sup lots of times, I discovered some few tips to improve a little your survival experience:

1) Dont stay always in the same area of the map.

This is predictable. Try to each round move to another part, always near your team but with sufficient space to run away if needed. If anyone of the oposite team already see your location, realocate.

2) Your primary healing is not the tank, but yourself.

If you're dead, the team is dead. At least, this is the standard. So, try to stay alive as much time as possible. Even if this costs the tanks life. An exception would be only the objective if near to get it.

3) Use VGS

Actually this is useful for all classes. But as a sup you'll probably see "VHS" spaming on your screen everytime anyone is down for being a dumb and going alone against all the other team. Sending a "VCC VVVE" will remind them that you're dead now and they must start to use their brains. At least, some will notice it.

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFanelMX View Post
    I have been doing my placement matches recently and most of them have been defeats so far but something surprised me, I was playing healer and kept telling them the flanker was on our backs and needed someone to peel them but my teammates in response told me as a healer I am supposed to dodge, I guess a few champions have good escape abilities but I didn't know in Paladins you weren't supposed to get help as a healer, kind of goes against other team based games I have played, so how is it supposed to work?
    Nope.
    As a support, you need to survive flank attacks while dodging enemy Damage Support and Frontline attacks (I am serious, support not only have to fear flank 1v1 advantage but be wary of the rest) all the while you also need to : heal everyone on the team (yes even the ones that have self heal and operates behind the enemy lines), contribute some damage to pressure the other side DD & Frontline, KILL your enemy's support, and CAP the point and push the payload.
    You also need to manage you cooldown so you can have your ability ready as much as possible and time your ult to maximize the effect (Support ults are usually the key to a push)

If you think this is a joke, I am not joking. These are your job as a support class main. This is just the basic stuff
    The advance one is how to find and pocket that one damage player who is actually good so he can help you win. Pocket heal the shit one and you would still lose the match
    Do all this while your champion is the weaker version of the rest.

PS : well, you can party with a good DD player and pocket him.

Beta Player Grand Prince M3RC3N4RI0's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 1 year registered
    In "normal" matches as a support you are on your own and it is your job to survive. Only if you reach high diamond at ranked your team will protect you. Or if you play with party. Damba is the support that needs most skill so if dying a lot is a problem pick another maybe. Burst meta is far from gone, indeed.

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points
    So, what is the best support for competitive? Do you have to choose a support according to the type of enemy team you are facing? Furia and Ying are good supports. But if you are talking about escaping Seris can easily escape with F, I have that ability at level 5. So, is Seris better for competitive?

I believe that the only way to win is to have a team of friends. I mean, a party. If you play with strangers it is almost impossible to win. I speak of playing in Casual, in Competitive it must be even worse. I think I should look for friends to play in Competitive. I in Casual almost always put on support / tank, because nobody chooses support / tank, and it is true that nobody protects you, because they are not really your friends. Luckily I like to play with support / tank.
    Last edited by SieteSiete7; 01-18-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger First Class 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered Forum Tier 3
    Damn, I have so much to say on this topic, but I'm still on cell phone...
    Have faith and wait, this evening I should be able to give some advices.

Super Moderator Emperor Wallachia's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 50000 Experience Points 1 year registered Forum Tier 4 Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezAlyssa's Personal Power Ranger and Head Mod of Paladins Forums.

If it's for the good of all and general happiness of the nation, I am ready. Tell the people I'll stay!