View Poll Results: Is Jenos' Grip a Problem?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's like getting -removed- by Darth Vader.

2 10.53%
  • No, you just don't know how to play around him.

17 89.47%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenos is... Interesting.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsCrii View Post
    Stellar Wind is an escape ability but it doesn't always secure an escape. It's not super fast and many flanks have their own mobility skills so he will often die if he relies solely on that. Plus it's probably more commonly used for repositioning to heal allies. Void Grip is an essential part of his kit for defending himself and aiding his teammates.

You'd be surprised how many times I've Void Gripped someone and my teammates completely ignored them. I've died a few times playing Jenos that way. :P But Resilience will help you with that, as well as saving your mobility skill for escape rather than attack when you know there's something like a Void Grip in the enemy arsenal.
    That's fair. But again, Skye doesn't have any sort of movement abilities sans speed buff cards during non-combat, so there is no way for her to break out of it. Even Lex has to be on the ground to use his.

Skye is getting a rework so hopefully when that happens she'll have more mobility or escape potential than she does now. She's pretty much bottom tier of all champs right now.
    Thank goodness. Here's hoping that she's given some sort of movement ability.

Is there a VGS equivalent on Switch? If not there certainly ought to be. But if you were on PC you'd know that there usually isn't a whole lot of coordination here, either. :P
    There isn't, sadly. It seems to be cross-platform with XBox and other consoles, but it has nothing -- especially for random matchmaking. I'm on my own, plain and simple. Which is honestly kinda weird because Fortnite on Switch has voice chat, and that proves that it's possible to do.

If you're flanking in the back line alone, as it sounds like you are, the best bet is to poke his health down from afar before engaging or saving your mobility skill, when you have one, for escape rather than for diving in. Otherwise you're taking your life into your own hands, and not just with Jenos' Void Grip.

There are times when it is appropriate and smart to use a mobility skill to dive the back line to take someone out but it's always going to be a risk. Sometimes it doesn't pay off and you're left with no way out. If you don't die then it's either because your enemies dropped the ball, you played really well, or you got help.
    Good advice for anyone other than Skye, since she doesn't have a movement ability. XD

But yeah, I think I have a better idea of what I need to do now. Thanks!

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 500 Experience Points Tagger First Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 2
    Now I get this thread a little more. I've noticed that Maeve can no longer escape Jenos grip. I didn't have my ponce on cool down and the whole game. Jenos stod in different spots just waiting for me specifically or our other flank to pass by. That itself means if Jenos is there and there's a Maeve on opposite team then that's it. You can't do anything. It ruins a Flanks purpose. No character should have that type of control over one role.

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by KosMos View Post
    Now I get this thread a little more. I've noticed that Maeve can no longer escape Jenos grip. I didn't have my ponce on cool down and the whole game. Jenos stod in different spots just waiting for me specifically or our other flank to pass by. That itself means if Jenos is there and there's a Maeve on opposite team then that's it. You can't do anything. It ruins a Flanks purpose. No character should have that type of control over one role.
    Power Cosmeum prevents escape by movement skills so that's probably what you ran into. It's not very commonly used, though, Luminary is just better.

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Good advice for anyone other than Skye, since she doesn't have a movement ability. XD
    you can kill Jenos in 1 v 1 with Skye even if Jenos lift you up. you can shoot while being lifted
    thank you for curing my Paladins addiction

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger First Class 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered Forum Tier 3
    Quote Originally Posted by GaoShun View Post
    you can kill Jenos in 1 v 1 with EVERYONE even if Jenos lift you up. you can shoot while being lifted
    Fixed.
    And yes, that's why this ability is so bad.
    I've finally found it!

New to the forum? Have a look >>>here<<<! Some useful answers.

#StopPlayingSupports
    Let them see how a game with shit-nerfed supports is.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GaoShun View Post
    you can kill Jenos in 1 v 1 with Skye even if Jenos lift you up. you can shoot while being lifted
    1 v 1's aren't the problem -- any remotely competent Jenos player is going to play with the team, not randomly deathmatch other people. He just props you up, and then one of his friends kills you like a training bot.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Enemy team spots flanker.
    Start focusing on him.
    Flanker tries to escape with his mobility skill.
    Jenos uses Void Grip with ease.
    Flanker has no way to counter that.
    Flanker is now between enemies with no escape. (and even LvL3 Resilience can't save him now)
    Flanker is dead.
    That scenario happens a lot when Jenos is involved.

Jenos is a SUPPORT. Void Grip wasn't designed for 1vs1. It was designed for supporting. Void Grip is not bad, it is OP. It is a flanker destroyer. Short cooldown, auto aim, easy to use. Nothing bad about this skill. You guys were saying no cooldown "stellar wind" with %45 damage reduction wasn't Op too. (it was and got nerfed hope Void grip will too.)

Btw lacking experience ? I have more flanking experience than you you can be sure of that.

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Joccasela View Post
    Start focusing on him.
    Flanker is now between enemies with no escape. (and even LvL3 Resilience can't save him now)
    Flanker is dead.

Jenos is a SUPPORT. Void Grip wasn't designed for 1vs1. It was designed for supporting. Void Grip is not bad, it is OP. It is a flanker destroyer. Short cooldown, auto aim, easy to use. Nothing bad about this skill. You guys were saying no cooldown "stellar wind" with %45 damage reduction wasn't Op too. (it was and got nerfed hope Void grip will too.)

Btw lacking experience ? I have more flanking experience than you you can be sure of that.
    You're kind of contradicting yourself here. You're talking about a situation where the enemy team is already focusing you. The best you can hope for is escape in that situation. Jenos shutting that down is just them out playing you. That's not OP, that's you ending up in an unwinnable situation...possibly because you overextended but also could simply be the other team having too good of teamwork. Either way, you weren't going to do anything in that situation. If Jenos didn't shut you down odds are it would have been someone else.

As you point out, Jenos is a support. Void Grip is a supportive skill. Jenos can't do anything to you while you're gripped, he's dependent on his team to deal with you or else he just has to try and escape before you get loose. He's not going to kill you with it himself. It would be OP if he could shoot you while you were gripped but he can't. He also can't heal or use Stellar Wind. He's putting himself at risk to hold you. There are so many drawbacks for him I don't understand how you can call it OP.

I can only presume from the scenarios you bring up that you are getting in over your head, trying to dive him while he's protected. You should lose that fight if the enemy team is paying any attention at all. It's no different than if you tried to dive a Mal Damba and he stunned you and his team mopped you up. Except you can't use a movement skill to escape the stun and Mal Damba can follow up on that stun himself.

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Start focusing on him.
    Flanker is dead.
    that pretty much your fault then.

Void grip is one of the longer cd of CC skill with 12 sec cd.
    Grover Root (which is far better than void grip as only BK can escape) is 7 sec cd and can be lowered to 4 sec cd
    Seris Rend Soul (which stun with Agony) is 10 sec
    Damba snake stun is as fast as per 1 sec
    Pip is 8 sec and can gives him bonus DPS and cd can be shortened with every eliminations

Jenos can't shoot during void grip and stellar wind, has low DPS to defend himself against flankers. He also had alot of nerfs
    Last edited by GaoShun; 06-20-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    thank you for curing my Paladins addiction

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    You guys keep missing the point like a stormtrooper. Resilience DOES NOT BLOCK CC. It only shortens the effect time.
    Void grip CANCELS movement skills and there is nothing a flanker can do to counter that.
    You can't take Grok and Khan with you to do flanking. Unless you can get a pocket Grok or pocket Khan. Flankers take paths other champions can't take and attack from flank. So your solution is tank and support should forget about objective and babysit the flanker ? They supposed to run after their flanker instead of capturing the point ?

(No Khan and Grok can't help you while you are flanking at enemy backlines. They are not supposed to babysit flankers. And they don't have the mobility to keep up with flankers
    And you are misinterpreting my words. I have never said that resil completely blocks CC skills like void grip. and whoever said that khan or grohk or any other champion will babysit you? I said that they will cooperate with you, to help you. Ever heard of teamwork? If you think that the support and the frontline are strictly limited on being on point. You are badly mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Nanomachines View Post
    That's fair. I understand he needs it to counter getting dove, but he also has his "Peace Out" fly away ability which also works to his survivability as well, so it's not the only defensive tool that he has.

But it isn't like he can just sit on it until he needs it -- he can also use it mid-fight, and a lot of non-flank guys are still gonna die, too, because no matter how uncoordinated you are, when there is a glowing, flying person standing completely still, the entire team is gonna shoot at them. For instance, I tried playing around it by attacking in the big team fight in the middle of my team, where I could have the support from my team. But even then, I was still Gripped and almost instantly killed, regardless, within a second of my being Gripped, with no reaction time, no way to dodge, no way out. I was just... Deleted, for the lack of a better term.

The point still stands: Skye and Lex are just hard countered by Jenos in the same vein as Tracer V Brigitte, except you can't switch off to a different hero like Maeve who has a better time against him. So what about -- if not hero switching, which seems to be a pretty drastic change for something so minute -- making Smoke Bomb negate CC effects?

If you did that, you could make an escape from not only Jenos' Succ, but other normally inescapable things as well.

As for the coordination, you have to remember: I'm not playing on PC -- I'm on the Switch, and coordination is almost impossible there. Actually, I think it is impossible on the Switch since there is no way to talk to your teammates. It isn't like the PC where I can just press to speak and someone will Dive with me, it's just me and whatever bee-like sign language I can use to hopefully coax my teammates into following me.
    Oh switch. Well if its random players, its likely your opponents are already used to paladins in other platforms, as they already are well acquainted with jenos skill and how to make the best out of it.

Smoke screen to negate CC effects sounds more like a talent rather than a base kit. But worry not, Syke is going to be reworked and its likely to be together with the rumoured ninja event. I just dont know when.

My suggestion is this: With skye, try to use debilitate or smoke screen. hidden suprise could work too but the other 2 just have better burst. Make sure you have the first hit, and when you get lifted continue on shooting him and using skills. That way you burst jenos down faster than the jenos teammate can burst you down.

For lex, try using the retribution talent and always set your target on jenos. In a similar manner, you can burst jenos down faster than the jenos teammate.

Now for the jenos movement skill. It doesnt have any burst speed. Its a flat constant movement buff. And he cant use it during gripping you, nor can he use other skills and neither can he shoot. That means that the best way he can make use of it, is around corners. Meaning you have to be considerate of the direction of your approach.

Quote Originally Posted by KosMos View Post
    Sounds like power cosmeum. It cripples so you cant use your movement skill out of it. Best chance is resilience.

However its as maeve right? You can use the nine lives talent, the one that cleanses CC.

Jenos is a SUPPORT. Void Grip wasn't designed for 1vs1. It was designed for supporting. Void Grip is not bad, it is OP. It is a flanker destroyer. Short cooldown, auto aim, easy to use. Nothing bad about this skill.

Jenos cannot shoot while gripping. So he can't use it to kill you in a 1v1. Unless you are low at health. IF you got burst down by a jenos in a 1v1 as a flanker. You suck big time.

IF its his teammates who killed you being while being gripped. Then think logically. ITS NOT A 1v1 ANYMORE

IF you got caught out by jenos and his entire team killed you. THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING ALONE. ARE YOU OVEREXTENDING THINKING THAT BECAUSE YOU ARE A FLANK YOU CAN WIN A 1v5??? Where the hell are your teammates? Dead? Too far? Useless?? or are they purposely not helping you because the word "teamwork" is non existent for you??

Oh and BTW. Yes Without a doubt you have more flanking experience than me. Even new players have more flanking experience than me. Then how the fuck do I know what im talking about? Am I spouting bullshit?

READ MY SIGNATURE BELOW. Guess which support champions i can use.

You think experience only comes from using the champ themselves? In case you dont know. Experience can also come from learning how those champions kill you. WHICH HAPPENED TO ME 9/10 times during my times playing support. PLAYING SUPPORT AGAINST THE LIKES OF A FLANKING GRANDMASTER IS NOT FUCKING FUN

BTW http://paladins.guru/profile/pc/Joccasela/

if you think you can boast about flanking experience. Dont forget that there are shitloads who are better than you. Some of them are on the forums already(fortunately for you im not one of them)
    BUFF SEA SERVERS!!

I MAIN FRONTLINES
    Im good with:
    Frontlines: Ash, Fernando, Terminus, Torvald, Khan, Inara
    Support: Mal'damba, Jenos, Seris, Pip
    Damage: Viktor, Sha lin, Cassie, Lian, Willo, Tyra
    Flank: Maeve

IGN: IamRick
    Current Rank: Platinum V

LONG LIVE THE MAGISTRATE!