View Poll Results: Is Jenos' Grip a Problem?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's like getting -removed- by Darth Vader.

2 10.53%
  • No, you just don't know how to play around him.

17 89.47%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenos is... Interesting.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class

Lightbulb Jenos is... Interesting.

So I got the Founders pack on the Switch after a friend of mine -- a game artist, actually -- recommended me to play this game and I have been really enjoying it thus far. Really, kudos on the excellent card system. But I gotta say, I really love the part of the game where I go around behind the enemy team to get a pick as Skye and Jenos looks in my general direction, holds me in place and dumpsters me. Fun and interactive!

In all seriousness, playing as a Flanker like Skye or Maeve, if there is a Jenos on the enemy team that is even moderately competent, you're just hard-countered. Skye, Maeve and other Flankers don't have the DPS to kill him while he holds you before he or the enemy team murders you, and you can't get out of it as far as I can tell, either.

I could just be a baddie who doesn't understand how to counter him, but in a game where you can't switch off a hero for another hero, it's really disgusting getting hard-countered and shut down all game. It's even hard to kill the guy when you get the drop on him, even with an Ultimate since he just dips and flies away.

But let me clarify, mobility and Flank damage are not the problem here. I have had a lot of success with the DPS on Skye and friends, killing even Tanks. It's great and efficient. But as far as I can tell, it's either not being able to switch, or not being able to break out of Jenos' Grip that is the problem.

For those who play Overwatch, it's like this: Imagine you are a Tracer main, and your enemies decided to play Brigitte. You cannot dive the Brigitte, lest you want her to stun and kill you, and you can't dive the rest of the backline, either, because Brigitte is also a backline that will stun and then kill you. But here's the kicker: You can't switch off Tracer to, you know, actually play the game, for the entire game.

A Drogos (or in this metaphor, Pharah) is a great counter to Jenos. Sit high and un-Gripable and just kill him. But the problem is, once you start playing the Flank at the start of the game, you can't counterplay him -- you're shut down for the entire game.

Thoughts?

Super Moderator Emperor Wallachia's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 50000 Experience Points 1 year registered Forum Tier 4 Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Poll edited: Please mind the language when posting.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezAlyssa's Personal Power Ranger and Head Mod of Paladins Forums.

If it's for the good of all and general happiness of the nation, I am ready. Tell the people I'll stay!

Member Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 250 Experience Points 31 days registered Closed Beta Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanomachines View Post
    So I got the Founders pack on the Switch after a friend of mine -- a game artist, actually -- recommended me to play this game and I have been really enjoying it thus far. Really, kudos on the excellent card system. But I gotta say, I really love the part of the game where I go around behind the enemy team to get a pick as Skye and Jenos looks in my general direction, holds me in place and dumpsters me. Fun and interactive!

In all seriousness, playing as a Flanker like Skye or Maeve, if there is a Jenos on the enemy team that is even moderately competent, you're just hard-countered. Skye, Maeve and other Flankers don't have the DPS to kill him while he holds you before he or the enemy team murders you, and you can't get out of it as far as I can tell, either.

I could just be a baddie who doesn't understand how to counter him, but in a game where you can't switch off a hero for another hero, it's really disgusting getting hard-countered and shut down all game. It's even hard to kill the guy when you get the drop on him, even with an Ultimate since he just dips and flies away.

But let me clarify, mobility and Flank damage are not the problem here. I have had a lot of success with the DPS on Skye and friends, killing even Tanks. It's great and efficient. But as far as I can tell, it's either not being able to switch, or not being able to break out of Jenos' Grip that is the problem.

For those who play Overwatch, it's like this: Imagine you are a Tracer main, and your enemies decided to play Brigitte. You cannot dive the Brigitte, lest you want her to stun and kill you, and you can't dive the rest of the backline, either, because Brigitte is also a backline that will stun and then kill you. But here's the kicker: You can't switch off Tracer to, you know, actually play the game, for the entire game.

A Drogos (or in this metaphor, Pharah) is a great counter to Jenos. Sit high and un-Gripable and just kill him. But the problem is, once you start playing the Flank at the start of the game, you can't counterplay him -- you're shut down for the entire game.

Thoughts?
    Maeve.....Maeve is the only one that can escape his grip easily. If you haven't used your double jump. Just jump when he grabs you. Your right out.

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2 5000 Experience Points
    Unless the Jenos is using Power Cosmeum (unlikely) you can escape Void Grip with a mobility skill. Skye is out of luck on that but almost anybody else has a skill that gets them out of it. Resilience is also super helpful against it. At level 3 Jenos might as well save his cool down.

Otherwise don't close with Jenos when he's not alone (unless he just used void grip). If alone he can grip you but not shoot you so it's just a delaying tactic.

Also you can shoot while gripped so cut him down if you can.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsCrii View Post
    Unless the Jenos is using Power Cosmeum (unlikely) you can escape Void Grip with a mobility skill. Skye is out of luck on that but almost anybody else has a skill that gets them out of it. Resilience is also super helpful against it. At level 3 Jenos might as well save his cool down.

Otherwise don't close with Jenos when he's not alone (unless he just used void grip). If alone he can grip you but not shoot you so it's just a delaying tactic.

Also you can shoot while gripped so cut him down if you can.
    You are underestimating Void Grip. It can cancel movement skills. It doesn't matter if you can get out of grip or not. Even you get out of grip you will be stranded between enemies. For example Jenos can cancel Soar and even blink with ease. And ruin Evie's escape. And there is nothing Evie can do to counter that. Unless they put an item which BLOCKS CC effects no flanker can counter that skill. Such powerful and easy to use skill(auto-aim, Just press a button) should have more than 12 seconds cooldown.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Joccasela View Post
    You are underestimating Void Grip. It can cancel movement skills. It doesn't matter if you can get out of grip or not. Even you get out of grip you will be stranded between enemies. For example Jenos can cancel Soar and even blink with ease. And ruin Evie's escape. And there is nothing Evie can do to counter that. Unless they put an item which BLOCKS CC effects no flanker can counter that skill. Such powerful and easy to use skill(auto-aim, Just press a button) should have more than 12 seconds cooldown.
    You misunderstand. Once you have already been gripped any mobility skill will get you out of it. Obviously if you just used it that's a different situation. Resilience doesn't prevent him from gripping you but at max the grip duration is almost nothing.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by KosMos View Post
    Maeve.....Maeve is the only one that can escape his grip easily. If you haven't used your double jump. Just jump when he grabs you. Your right out.
    This is my point.

There are counters to him, but if you're playing someone like Skye who has no movement abilities, you're perpetually shut down. Simply put, you can't switch to someone like Maeve who has a movement ability when you're already on Skye.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachia View Post
    Poll edited: Please mind the language when posting.
    Thanks.

But just as a heads up for anyone who was wondering, and how the poll looks now, I wasn't actually dropping a certain bomb in the poll -- I was just talking about an exploratory medical procedure. XD
    Last edited by Nanomachines; 06-18-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Achievements:
    You misunderstand. Once you have already been gripped any mobility skill will get you out of it. Obviously if you just used it that's a different situation. Resilience doesn't prevent him from gripping you but at max the grip duration is almost nothing.
    I did not misunderstand. I am telling why Void grip is strong. Most champions have one mobility skill. What makes "Void Grip" strong is ability to cancel the movement skills. The only counter to that is CC immunity. And only a few champions have that. Jenos can grip Andro while Andro is using his nether step completely ruining his escape. Even if Andro is using resilience3 he will be still in a pretty bad situation. Because he just lost his escape skill. It is on cooldown now.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joccasela View Post
    I did not misunderstand. I am telling why Void grip is strong. Most champions have one mobility skill. What makes "Void Grip" strong is ability to cancel the movement skills. The only counter to that is CC immunity. And only a few champions have that. Jenos can grip Andro while Andro is using his nether step completely ruining his escape. Even if Andro is using resilience3 he will be still in a pretty bad situation. Because he just lost his escape skill. It is on cooldown now.
    If Jenos is gripping while you are using your mobility skill then frankly he's just out-played you and deserves the kill, if he manages it. Which is hardly guaranteed since he can't do anything but move while gripping someone. Androxus has 3 dashes, unless he's caught during the third one he should be able to use another one to escape. If Void Grip completely nullifies this then that is probably a bug.

Lots of things could cancel a movement skill, such as Inara's Warder's Field with cripple Talent, Evie's Icestorm, various stuns, etc. Void Grip is not outstanding in this respect. Unless you're running up against Power Cosmeum Jenos' a lot for some reason.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Achievements:
    If Jenos is gripping while you are using your mobility skill then frankly he's just out-played you and deserves the kill, if he manages it. Which is hardly guaranteed since he can't do anything but move while gripping someone. Androxus has 3 dashes, unless he's caught during the third one he should be able to use another one to escape. If Void Grip completely nullifies this then that is probably a bug.

Lots of things could cancel a movement skill, such as Inara's Warder's Field with cripple Talent, Evie's Icestorm, various stuns, etc. Void Grip is not outstanding in this respect. Unless you're running up against Power Cosmeum Jenos' a lot for some reason.
    Jenos just needs to looks towards his target and press a button. It is an auto-aim skill. Requires no skill to use at all. It is very easy to use. Void Grip doesn't need to be aimed like Furia's Pyre or Damba's stun snake. Btw it burns all the charges of the dash. It is not a bug.

All other skills that can cancel movement skills needs aiming. Expect Khan's ulti another overpowered CC.

Inara's Treacherous Ground is a talent. Inara will need to choose that talent to cancel movement skills. Jenos doesn't need to choose The Power Cosmeum to cancel movement skills. Also Inara's Warder's Field is not ranged skill.

Evie's Ice Storm(it is an ulti not a skill) has a 0.5 pre-cast time and you need to get very close to your target. Your target will be already away if he used his skill before you start casting Ice storm. And no-one with right mind wouldn't dash into Ice storm. They will walk out of it then use their skill. Maeve can do that easily with her double jump. Ice Storm is used to PREVENT, not cancel movement skills.

Long story short:

Void grip is auto aim.
    Has a very low cooldown. 12 seconds is too low for such a powerful skill.
    Ranged.
    Very easy to use. You just need to look towards your target and press a button.

You say others can do it too.

Damba's stun is a projectile. It is not an auto aim press one button skill. It needs to be timed and aimed well. Which is difficult.
    Sha-Lin can stun too with Impaler Arrow too. Which is a projectile too. Which needs to be aimed and timed well. And it requires you to push them against a wall. Why don't you try to stun Evie with impaler arrow while she is soaring. Difficult to do unlike Jenos Void Grip.
    All Jenos need to do is look at his target and press one button. Yes this is outstanding compared to other examples. So easy.

Long story shot: Nano is right.