Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Bots

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered

The Bots

Imagine you're playing a comp game. You have a great team composition, everyone is in high spirits, the loading screen hits and..... somebody gets disconnected. You now have a bot, you just the lost the game before it even started. Team morale crashes down. And you get stomped.

Bots are WAYYYYYY too common for what they do, which is basically feed and do nothing. Why are the bots so bad!? Bots on brightmarsh go to the side with the two stairs and get stuck walking up and down the stairs. The bots rush in, die, grant enemy ult charge, and are generally awful. Please improve the bots! I cannot even describe how utterly garbage the bots are and they need serious tuning. Make them scale in ranked matches based on rank and give them a set level of plat in casual. Because right now having a bot on your team means a loss. Plz fix hi-rez senpai
    Last edited by Pie to Face; 06-07-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points
    in fact just removing bots would be better, so they don't feed nor buy items
    basically it would be a 4v5 match
    http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...ea-for-talents

stop throwing away former vip skins for free
    fix raeve maeve

bow is stronger than the sword, or guns, or...snake

Beta Player Viscount
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    First you need to check all of the bot paths in map editor so bots can move properly.
    For items you create loops with checks like if there are no stealth champions dont buy illuminate, if there are no shields dont buy wrecker, and so on. Global ones, then class related ones, then champion related ones.

That much should be simple, the workload starts when you want to add certain behaviors like staying behind and going for point only when it is empty for healers, who to heal, how and when use every skill.

However, currently bots dont even always attack when they can, so I would say they are set like that on purpose.
    Last edited by FromWitchSide; 06-08-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by FromWitchSide View Post
    First you need to check all of the bot paths in map editor so bots can move properly.
    For items you create loops with checks like if there are no stealth champions dont buy illuminate, if there are no shields dont buy wrecker, and so on. Global ones, then class related ones, then champion related ones.

That much should be simple, the workload starts when you want to add certain behaviors like staying behind and going for point only when it is empty for healers, who to heal, how and when use every skill.

However, currently bots dont even always attack when they can, so I would say they are set like that on purpose.
    I agree. I wish they put more effort into the bots. They also have hundreds of hilarious bot exclusive bugs

Beta Player Baron Blargimazombie's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Oh yes, I especially love the bugs where Terminus and Jenos can move during their ults, so even if you normally would have avoided it because you have two or more brain cells, it still magically hits you anyway cause they were moving the same direction as your dodge. Also Evie still being able to move around in Ice block even though that supposedly was fixed a while back.

As for the behavior, it absolutely needs work, they just rush point, ignoring if you're fighting someone near them because I guess the point is more important? Which it is sometimes, but the fact that there's absolutely no difference in the behavior based on the situation... it's just lazy.

Also just how often they'll get stuck on random environments for no reason, or sometimes just completely break and never even leave spawn despite not being physically stuck is incredibly frustrating.
    Paladins IGN: Blargimazombie
    Paladins Strike IGN: Blarg (It kind of runs on my potato tablet)

I can be abrasive sometimes but I'll still be friends if you want ^^

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by FromWitchSide View Post

in ac what you say is how it works actually
    but it is bad
    once my whole team got disconnected
    all bots took wrecker cause torvald
    we reconnected but impossible to win
    http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...ea-for-talents

stop throwing away former vip skins for free
    fix raeve maeve

bow is stronger than the sword, or guns, or...snake

Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2 5000 Experience Points
    That's not even the only issue with bots. They're also an issue in Training matches for all the above reasons but also because at times they're too good. Instant deletions by using multiple abilities and firing multiple shots in the time it would take a human to fire one or two shots. Even in replay it's clear they didn't fire as many shots as the system indicates, so you die to 2 Androxus shots when the system claims he fired 4, for instance.

Add to that the cooldown issue. Sometimes bots just ignore cooldowns. The most infamous being Ash' shield. It's extremely common in bot matches to see 2 Ash shields on the field at the same time. I think I've even seen 3. Or double ults (without killing someone with a streak...or anyway, really).

If all that wasn't enough, this is where new players go first, so they get to run into enemies that move around like idiots most of the time but then sometimes do impossible things and may have unrealistic expectations once they get to human games.

Also an issue is say you just unlocked Willow and want to try her out in a training match to get a feel for her skills. Well, good luck with that. Bots instantly vacate the target area when you click the button for Seedling or Dead Zone. So you won't get any kind of proper practice with those abilities. The same goes for Tyra's firebomb and, weirdly enough, Seris' LMB. You can literally prevent bots from going through a door by just firing Seris' LMB constantly in that direction. Bots can be held in their spawn that way. Doesn't exactly give you good practice with those skills when the bots auto-avoid them.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsCrii View Post
    That's not even the only issue with bots. They're also an issue in Training matches for all the above reasons but also because at times they're too good. Instant deletions by using multiple abilities and firing multiple shots in the time it would take a human to fire one or two shots. Even in replay it's clear they didn't fire as many shots as the system indicates, so you die to 2 Androxus shots when the system claims he fired 4, for instance.

Add to that the cooldown issue. Sometimes bots just ignore cooldowns. The most infamous being Ash' shield. It's extremely common in bot matches to see 2 Ash shields on the field at the same time. I think I've even seen 3. Or double ults (without killing someone with a streak...or anyway, really).

If all that wasn't enough, this is where new players go first, so they get to run into enemies that move around like idiots most of the time but then sometimes do impossible things and may have unrealistic expectations once they get to human games.

Also an issue is say you just unlocked Willow and want to try her out in a training match to get a feel for her skills. Well, good luck with that. Bots instantly vacate the target area when you click the button for Seedling or Dead Zone. So you won't get any kind of proper practice with those abilities. The same goes for Tyra's firebomb and, weirdly enough, Seris' LMB. You can literally prevent bots from going through a door by just firing Seris' LMB constantly in that direction. Bots can be held in their spawn that way. Doesn't exactly give you good practice with those skills when the bots auto-avoid them.
    Yeah, sometimes bots have perfect aim and they never miss a shot. They can track you through walls sometimes. But other times their aim is so bad they might as well not even try

Member Recruit
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blargimazombie View Post
    Oh yes, I especially love the bugs where Terminus and Jenos can move during their ults, so even if you normally would have avoided it because you have two or more brain cells, it still magically hits you anyway cause they were moving the same direction as your dodge. Also Evie still being able to move around in Ice block even though that supposedly was fixed a while back.

As for the behavior, it absolutely needs work, they just rush point, ignoring if you're fighting someone near them because I guess the point is more important? Which it is sometimes, but the fact that there's absolutely no difference in the behavior based on the situation... it's just lazy.

Also just how often they'll get stuck on random environments for no reason, or sometimes just completely break and never even leave spawn despite not being physically stuck is incredibly frustrating.
    Sometimes they run off the point chasing a target. I lost a bot game because my bot teammates ran off the point chasing enemies in the backline while I was dead and we lost. I got chased across the entire map by a bot once.

bots are AI, its not easy to have a perfect bot..
    a bot has a navmesh, the area where he can move, he was targets and waypoints

the bot has an aimlock but i have seen that hirez makes it looks random by learping the aim radius..

so, the best thing to avoid such things, is to start by a vote system, Do we need a bot, or do we need a 1mn timeout for example ?

the bad things, Paladins take too much time to startup, much more time to login if the player has logout..