Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Makoko: The God Tier Waifu

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

A Guide to Makoko: The God Tier Waifu

IT IS I, PLUSHYMAKOAWAIFU, THE MAKOKO MAIN.
    I AM HERE TO TEACH YOU THE WAYS OF THE PLUSHY MAKOA, OUR ALL POWERFUL GOD.

STEP ONE: OBTAIN THE PLUSHY MAKOA SKIN
    THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO BECOME A GOOD MAKOA. AS ALL GOOD PLAYERS KNOW, SKINS = SKILL, AND PLUSHY MAKOA IS THE MOST SKILLED OF THEM ALL.

ONCE YOU HAVE OBTAINED THE PLUSHY MAKOA SKIN, THE MOST DIFFICULT PART IS OVER. NOW YOU SIMPLY MUST USE IT TO ITS FULLEST POTENTIAL.

Abilities

Cannon: A salvaged ship cannon that fires one 650 damage cannon ball every 1 second. Effective at Short Range.
    A good strong basic. 650 DPS isn't exactly godly, but the cannonballs are the size of Texas. Nice and easy to hit. Remember, don't go pouring your amazing 650 DPS into the opposing frontlines as soon as you spawn, there are better targets for your wrath.

Dredge Hook: Hurl your anchor and reel in an unsuspecting enemy.
    Not only does this make Makoa the best hooker in the entire game, it's also his signature move. Nothing brings me pleasure quite like pulling an enemy into the waiting arms of your team.

There are two main ways to use Dredge Hook

1. Repositioning Enemies
    See an sniper standing just a little to close to the edge of their ledge? PUNISH THEM FOR THEIR IMPUDENCE. See a support peeking out a little too far? Why don't you bring them over and give them a nice warm welcome into the thick of the action.

2. Wasting Abilities
    Nando put up his overly large irritating shield? Hook. Torvald nullifying an ally? Hook. Ash halfway through Shoulder Bash? Hook.

WAHHHHHHH BABOOOOOOM
    What.
    I CANT HIT MY DREDGE HOOK
    Worry not, Baboom has ways to improve your shitty ass aim

Tip for Dredge Anchor:
    With the recent(ish) hook hitbox nerf, hook is no longer autoaim. The hitbox is actually really small, sometimes it might seem like you hit an enemy and you won't actually reel them in because the hitbox is so small.
    The main thing to remember is that Makoa throws lefty. As a result, if you aim to the right of an enemy, the hook will travel cross-body, and you have a significantly increased chance of not humiliating yourself.
    Also, the hook is not hitscan. I've seen so many Makoas try to throw hooks directly at a moving enemy like it moves in super-speed. It really doesn't. It's pretty fast but compensation for movement is definitely necessary.
    As a side note to that, you can't grab anyone after being thrown by Khan's ult. You actually travel backward faster than your hook travels forward, so unless you're ridiculously fast, you're not going to hit a hook without a shell spin first.

Shell Shield: Project a 6000 health shield that blocks enemy fire for 4 seconds.
    In my opinion, this is very possibly the best shield in the entire game. Its enormous, its easy to move, and it has some good solid cards that comes with it. Please don't use your 16 second cooldown shield to save yourself from one guy charging at you unless its absolutely necessary.

There are a 3 main ways to use Shell Shield

1. Covering Choke Points
    OH NOES! YOUR TEAM IS TRAPPED INSIDE OF A SPACE WITH A RIDICULOUSLY NARROW EXIT AND 5 ENEMIES WAITING ON THE OTHER SIDE!
    Fear not, my cowardly companions, pop your shield and put it over the doorway. It's large enough that it covers basically any doorway there is in any map. Your teammates shoot out, but enemies cant shoot in. A nice easy way to force through choke points.

2. Covering Retreats
    EEEEEEEK MAKOA HELP ME IM AT 200 HP FLEEING FROM PENTA SNIPERS
    Pop up your shield, use shell spin if necessary, help your teammate find a nice secluded spot to heal up.

You can also pop your shield to cover your own retreats. Just remember that not all of your teammates get shields and you do have the ability to help them.

3. Ability Blocking
    Basically, pop your shield up for like a millisecond to block one shot and then put it back down so you can fight again. Sounds useless, but you can do it when your HP is low enough to be one shot and someone pursuing you is also one shot. Protect yourself from their attack then kill them.

Shell Spin: Retreat into your shell and spin forward, knocking back enemies in your path.
    A very generic movement ability. Short distance, minor distance and knockback. But it has some good strong cards to go with it as well. You can also use it to finish off people who think you can't attack while shielding.

Ancient Rage: Call on the powers of the Ancients. Drop Your cannon and swing your anchor, dealing 650 damage a hit. In addition, increase your health by 5000. Lasts 8s.
    This is, in my opinion, very possibly the best ult in the entire game. Become a rampaging 11000+ HP monster who can hit anyone grouped together, who wouldn't flee from that?
    Ancient Rage should usually be used to drive away people who are grouped together. Your DPS is actually exactly the same as it is normally, but now you can hit multiple targets. Drive enemies off the point or maintain the momentum of your push.
    You can use Shell Spin and Dredge Hook during ult, so thats a useful way to catch up to enemies.
    Also, you can cancel Ancient Rage by using it again, which I didn't know for a long time. If an enemy is fleeing your reach and all your abilities are on cooldown, cancel your ult and give them a surprise

YOU CHALLENGE MAKOA?
    BEHOLD, THE DRAGON'S FURY!
    Oh shit... you forgot all about Drogoz and now he's going to shred your sexy ass. Unfortunately, there isn't a good reliable way to dodge Drogoz's ult with Makoa. Your best chance is to use terrain to block him until the timer runs down, but that wastes your ult time. Overall, just make sure you have him dead before you ult.

Talents:

Pluck: Gain 65% bonus damage on your first shot after hitting an enemy with Dredge Anchor.
    No.
    You are gaining 423 damage on one shot every 12 seconds in exchange for 1200 HP and CC Immunity on ults. That's just not worth it.

Leviathon: Increase your Maximum Health by 1200 and gain CC Immunity during Ancient Rage.
    This is going to be your go-to card. The CC Immunity makes you basically unstoppable during ult and the HP gives you the second best max HP in the game after Ash.

Half Shell: Shell Shield is now placed on the ground, is not Channeled, and lasts 2s longer.
    There are advantages to using this. You basically carry a mobile fortress that you can use to zone the fuck out of the enemy team. However, the cooldown of shell shield is reaaaaaaally long, and Makoa has no flat cooldown reduction cards for it. I would use this card with a Grohk main healer maybe, but otherwise no.

Davey Jones Locker: Your shell spin now lasts until canceled and you can control its direction.
    This card is just a meme, but its a god tier meme. The turning is actually quite a bit faster than BK's ult so its not that bad either.

Playstyle:
    Makoa has a good kit and you should use it to your full potential. Don't hop on point as soon as you are out of spawn. Flank to one side and kill their damages or healers. With 5700 HP with Levi you can outtank almost every source of damage people can throw at you, while outputting your relatively mediocre but consistent damage. If you are having trouble killing their damage solo then throw a hook at them and have your team help you.

If you or a teammate are at low HP pop your shield and get the hell out of there.

Don't forget to keep an eye on your healer. Teach those flanks the might of Makoa!

Tips for Specific Champions:

Supports: Supports have low DPS and are fairly squishy. Just run straight at them until they die or run away.

Damages: You can kill every base HP damage in 4 shots. Just soak up all their damage and hook them when they try to escape from your wrath.

Bomb King: BK stands out from the other damages simply because he melts tanks so well with CR. Never face a good CR BK by yourself or he will eat you alive. Be careful to only engage him when the terms are in your favor.
    If he has RS, chances are he will probably detonate his bombs one by one, which takes more time than stacking them. You can just barely outtank the damage if you hit every shot.
    On the bright side, he has a ridiculously large hitbox, meaning pulling him into 3v1s shouldn't be too difficult.

Drogoz: With the recent buffs, Drogoz is now a common pick. It takes him a mere 5 shots to kill you with only inhand if he has Fusillade. Fortunately, it takes you 4 shots to kill him.
    Make sure you get the jump on him, if you have trouble hitting shots on airbourne targets, shield when he flies up so you can kill him after he falls.

Cassie: Ah... Cassie the overpowered th0t. Unfortunately, her movement speed can be built to ungodly amounts, and dodge roll is a very good movement ability. Do not engage unless you have great confidence in your aim.

Tyra: BURRRRRRRRN BULLSHIT!!!! Mmmm, thank you for this lovely talent Hi-Rez....
    Be sure to watch out for when she throws her fire bomb. If she has just used it then she is basically defenseless against you. Destroy with extreme prejudice.

Kinessa: Ima headshot u for almost half ur hp lmao Flank her at the start of the match. After that, there isn't much you can do other than just rely on your flank.

Flanks: Flanks should be easy kills, if you see a flank walking around within your reach, just go straight for them and shred them.

Androxus: I HAVE ALMOST 1.5K DPS WITHOUT HEADSHOTS AND NOW IMA SHRED YOU WITH 5 HEADSHOTS IN A ROW SPAMMING TROLOLOLOL. Androxus has ungodly amounts of DPS, and hits headshots pretty easily, especially on Makoa since his head is so large. If he is good, wait til he uses reversal then pull him to you for an easy kill. Otherwise, just chase him off.

Skye: Debilitate does 39% of your maximum HP every 3 seconds. Not only does this melt you, it also hard counters your ult. Make sure to target her.

Tanks: Tanks should be your lowest priority targets. Your DPS is better spent on literally anything else.

Inara: Bulldozer. Be sure to finish her healer first though.

Makoa:
    ]
    Not too many tips for this, just wanted to put the picture

Items:

Blue Items:
    Now, I see defensive items being picked far too often, far too soon on Makoa. Remember that each level reduces damage only by a little bit. This little bit might matter a lot to a damage or a flank, but not to you. So please don't instantly rush Haven or Blast Shields.
    You should only be picking blue items after you have Cauterize and Rejuvenate maxed out, and one or two levels of Morale Boost as well.
    Don't forget that CC Reduction is really powerful, you should always pick resilience if there's any kind of CC oriented champ on the enemy team, although having CC reduction cards can greatly reduce or even eliminate the need for Resilience.

Green Items:
    REJUV REJUV REJUV!!! Rejuvenate should be the only green item you are ever picking as a frontline (unless you don't have a healer, then pick Veteran) Never ever pick Kill to Heal or Life Rip. You gain 165 HP per shot at maxed Life Rip, which is literally nothing after it's been cauterized and compared to your 5700 HP. Rejuv should be your second item, pick it after you have some Morale Boost or Cauterize

B]Yellow Items:[/B]
    Morale Boost. I see a lot of Makoas picking Chronos for some reason, his cooldowns are actually perfectly fine if you manage them carefully. With an ult capable of literally team wiping with a good success rate, even popping out one or two more ults could win you the game. You should be picking this either first or second, depending on how badly you need Cauterize. I would recommend bringing this to level 2 at max, but if you have some spare credits maxing it can't really hurt.

Red Items:
    Cauterize is always a safe pick, especially if you are trying to kill high sustain champions like Seris or Buck. Pick it first or second depending on enemy team composition. Bulldozer is also acceptable against Inara.

LOADOUTS:

Armor/Weapon Cards:
    Determination: Gain {14|14}% Crowd Control Reduction.
    A good solid card. Saves you having to buy Resilience. I recommend you have a couple loadouts with this at different levels so you can pick them based on the enemy team comp.

Lighter Cannonballs: Gain {7|7}% Reload speed.
    OMG FREE DEFT HANDS!!!!! 10/10 CARD!!!! ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE IN YOUR LOADOUT!!
    JK don't use this or Makoa shall scorn you forever.

Rampage: Gain {8|8}% Movement Speed for 6s after getting an elimination.
    This is one of the things that makes Makoa the best frontlines. You can chase multikills without using Shell Spin, or retreat faster. I recommend this at a level 3+

Ebb and Flow: Upon reaching 40% health the Cooldown of Shell Spin is reduced by {20|20}%
    This is a good solid card, you can build your whole loadout around it if you want to. Having that clutch Shell Spin back just when you need to retreat.
    I recommend this at a 3+ if you always want your Shell Spin to retreat but level 2 also works just for that little bit of boost.

Dredge Anchor Cards:

Harden: Gain {5|5}% Damage Reduction for 2 seconds after hitting an enemy with Dredge Anchor
    I personally would not recommend this card. You have 25% damage reduction max every 11 seconds. Not great.

Salvage: Activating Dredge Anchor generates 1 ammo every 0.5 seconds for {0.5|0.5} seconds
    The best filler card for Makoa. Have it at level 1 in every loadout. Don't need it higher than that.

Sea Legs: Gain {6|6}% lifesteal after hitting an enemy with Dredge Anchor
    Same thing applies to this as with Life Rip. Don't use it

Strongarm: Reduce the cooldown of Dredge Anchor by {0.5|0.5} seconds
    Have your best ability back more! Have it level 2+ in all your loadouts if possible

Shell Spin Cards:

Crashing Wave: Reduce the cooldown of Shell Spin by {1|1} seconds for every enemy hit
    Not a great card. It forces you to make offensive shell spins in order to get the cooldown reduction and it's just not worth it

Spring Tide: Shell Spin heals you for {250|250} health for each enemy hit
    A hilarious card early game when you heal to full after smacking a few people with your shell. Late game though, it's all cauterized away. You can use this card if you like to shell spin into people but I personally prefer Tidal Grace.

Surf: Increase the distance of Shell Spin by {10|10}%
    A nice little filler, just to squeeze that extra little distance out of Shell Spin. Put it at level 1-2

Tsunami: For 2 seconds after using Shell Spin you gain {8|8}% movement speed
    Rampage and Surf are much better. Don't use this card

Shell Shield Cards:

Tidal Grace: Heal {50|50} health while Shell Shield is active
    I personally love this card. Combined with Out of Combat healing or Luminary Jenos I can heal back to full very quickly, and also you are free of cauterize. I recommend this at a level 3-5

Ancient Resolve: Increase duration of shield by {0.5|0.5} seconds
    Good to get a little extra heal out of Tidal Grace, you can also pair this with Half Shell

Barrier Reef: For every 3000 damage Shell Shield takes, it's cooldown is reduced by {1|1} second
    An alright card I suppose. I don't keep my Shell Shield up for very long so usually I only use this with Half Shell.

Carapace: Increase health of Shell Shield by {250|250}
    Now that Barrier Reef procs every 3000 HP, this card is utterly worthless because it doesn't get you an extra trigger. Don't use it.

In Conclusion...

MAKOKO IS VERY POSSIBLY THE BEST FRONTLINE THERE CURRENTLY IS, ESPECIALLY WITH COMING NERFS TO RUCKUS AND INARA. FITS INTO MOST TEAM COMPS AND MAPS QUITE NICELY. ALWAYS A GOOD STRONG SOLID PICK.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by TheBaboom1; 10-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Top Damage on Makoa: 160k
    Top Eliminations on Makoa: 71
    Top Healing on Makoa: HIREZ LET MAKOA HEALLLLLLL
    Top Objective Time on Makoa: Who gives a fuck

IGN: PlushyMakoaWaifu
    A MAKOA MAIN
    Level 73/507 games/110 hours
    58% winrate/2.46 KDA

Makoa + Damba Guides
    http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...584#post502584

http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...660#post550660

Forum Moderator Sovereign Prince cmsaunli's Avatar
    Protecting a Volcano, and the Ska'drin. (But not Talus)
    Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Tagger First Class Overdrive 1 year registered 10000 Experience Points
    Nice one Boom. I approve. Perhaps in the future, you can add some Loadout recommendations and such!
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

Need to submit a Support Ticket? Click me!

Cicero's Official Listener.
    "Legendary Support Makoa Main"

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    I laughed a lot with this guide, in a good way. First, I 100% agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaboom1 View Post
    IT IS I, PLUSHYMAKOAWAIFU, THE MAKOKO MAIN.
    I AM HERE TO TEACH YOU THE WAYS OF THE PLUSHY MAKOA, OUR ALL POWERFUL GOD.

STEP ONE: OBTAIN THE PLUSHY MAKOA SKIN
    THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO BECOME A GOOD MAKOA. AS ALL GOOD PLAYERS KNOW, SKINS = SKILL, AND PLUSHY MAKOA IS THE MOST SKILLED OF THEM ALL.

ONCE YOU HAVE OBTAINED THE PLUSHY MAKOA SKIN, THE MOST DIFFICULT PART IS OVER. NOW YOU SIMPLY MUST USE IT TO ITS FULLEST POTENTIAL.
    Cannon: A salvaged ship cannon that fires one 650 damage cannon ball every 1 second. Effective at Short Range.
    A good strong basic. 650 DPS isn't exactly godly, but the cannonballs are the size of Texas. Nice and easy to hit. Remember, don't go pouring your amazing 650 DPS into the opposing frontlines as soon as you spawn, there are better targets for your wrath.
    Maybe here you should add that the cannon ball goes up and down, that it doesn't move in a straight line (hope I'm explaining it well)

2. Wasting Abilities
    Nando put up his overly large irritating shield? Hook. Torvald nullifying an ally? Hook. Ash halfway through Shoulder Bash? Hook.
    Zhin decides to use ult? Hook. It's so satisfying

Also, you can cancel Ancient Rage by using it again, which I didn't know for a long time. If an enemy is fleeing your reach and all your abilities are on cooldown, cancel your ult and give them a surprise
    I'm ashamed I had no idea about this

Pluck: Gain 65% bonus damage on your first shot after hitting an enemy with Dredge Anchor.
    No.
    You are gaining 423 damage on one shot every 12 seconds in exchange for 1200 HP and CC Immunity on ults. That's just not worth it.
    I think this one can be a nice talent depending on the enemy team composition

Anyway, nice guide As csmnauli said, hope to see if you add info about cards and loadouts

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 1 year registered Tagger Second Class Overdrive 10000 Experience Points
    I like this guide here are my makoa tips
    Always hang out around cliffs with your resilience card maxed out
    If there are no cliffs makoas natural habitat is the enemy backline
    About mako 1v1, hook 1st
    Always emote after a penta kill.

Level
    Achievements:
    Always hang around cliffs
    I find that people are usually smart enough to avoid the Makoa standing next to a cliff but if you can catch them by surprise then yeah by all means :3

hook 1st
    I like to hook to stop them escaping :v

Always emote after a penta kill
    Emote and spray on Street Justice Maeves too

A MAKOA MAIN
    58% winrate/2.46 KDA

Makoa + Damba Guides

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 1 year registered Tagger Second Class Overdrive 10000 Experience Points
    I find that people are usually smart enough to avoid the Makoa standing next to a cliff but if you can catch them by surprise then yeah by all means :3
    I usualy get 2 or 3 kill before thaty start avoiding me. once i survived a terminus 1v1 with 400 hp just cause i went near a cliff even though my hook was on cooldown but he didn't know that xD

Member Esquire
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    7 days registered 250 Experience Points
    YOU CHALLENGE MAKOA?
    BEHOLD, THE DRAGON'S FURY!
    Oh shit...
    lmao

Top notch guide, this is a great contribution to the Paladin's community
    Thank you!

Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    In my case, I run max DR on hook, cdr on hook and at least 1 level of ammo with hook. The other 2 cards changes depending on the situation. Sometimes CC reduc. sometimes speed on elimination. sometimes speed after shell spin.

Then most of the time I take nimble if i dont have speed cards xD I find his ult rate pretty fast so I dont really take morale boost.

Then again im currently noob with makoa and im still training him lol
    BUFF SEA SERVERS!!

I MAIN FRONTLINES
    Im good with:
    Frontlines: Ash, Fernando, Terminus, Torvald, Khan, Inara
    Support: Mal'damba, Jenos, Seris, Pip
    Damage: Viktor, Sha lin, Cassie, Lian, Willo, Tyra
    Flank: Maeve

IGN: IamRick
    Current Rank: Platinum V

LONG LIVE THE MAGISTRATE!

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by IamRick1996 View Post
    In my case, I run max DR on hook, cdr on hook and at least 1 level of ammo with hook. The other 2 cards changes depending on the situation. Sometimes CC reduc. sometimes speed on elimination. sometimes speed after shell spin.

Then most of the time I take nimble if i dont have speed cards xD I find his ult rate pretty fast so I dont really take morale boost.

Then again im currently noob with makoa and im still training him lol
    I would recommend axing the DR on hook. It's a great card on Paper, but his hook is MINIMUM 9 second cooldown (or 8.5 or something.) That's not enough uptime on the DR to really be impactful. DR is only powerful when it can be spammed like Maeve's Pounce, Ruckus's Rockets, etc.
    Grover isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a support with such high mobility and damage? Grover puts the game on another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a champion as good as him. Jenos gets top healing. Mal Damba impacts teamfights. Grover breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

It had to be said.

Level
    Achievements:
    DR on hook can be used to get that clutch DR for a kill, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it

Speed after Shell spin isn't worth it
    Personally if I don't take Morale I usually pick Chronos since his cooldowns are so long

A MAKOA MAIN
    58% winrate/2.46 KDA

Makoa + Damba Guides