Thread: Paladins on Linux?

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points

Paladins on Linux?

I have a simple question, can paladins run on Linux?
    If yes, which kind?

Since Steam supports Linux, can't I get Paladins from there?
    I'm kinda sick of Windows sucking my RAM and Bandwidth up.

Also, which kind of Linux would be best for playing Paladins?
    Frontlines
    Terminus(16)
    Makoa(11)
    Ash(9)
    Support
    Jenos(16)
    Ying(10)
    Mal Damba(11)
    Damage
    Bomb King(18)
    Drogoz(14)
    Shalin(11)
    Flank
    Androxus(28)
    Evie(17)
    Zhin(15)
    I LOVE YING.

Look at my Androxus Revolver Cosplay!-UPDATED
    http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...014#post504014

Why is Valkure an Emperor, and not an Empress? Nobody knows...

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Simple answer:
    Linux cannot run Paladins cannot run natively.

Medium answer:
    Linux can run Windows apps like Paladins through special tools, so you're free pick your favorite flavor of Linux and your favorite Windows compatibility tool. You will not get support from Paladins if anything goes wrong but some folks apparently are running Paladins successfully on Linux.

Longer answer:
    I advise sticking with Windows and customizing it to make it more suitable for you.

While it's true that 'by default' Linux tends to consume less than Windows, I find that the amount of time and effort it takes me to make Windows and Windows apps run like I want is less than the time and effort it takes me to make Linux and Linux apps run like I want, assuming I can even find the app (or at least a version optimized for my flavor of Linux versus the dozens of other current flavors out there).

Still, Linux is a good skill to have so if Paladins is a gateway to picking up Linux knowledge, it could be a fun exercise.

Beta Player Baronet MightyBuckey's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 2 Tagger Second Class 1000 Experience Points
    If you wish to use Linux then my advice is to go with Ubuntu or LinuxMint (which ever flavor) both are based on Dabian which is a very easy platform to customize and there are tone of forums, help threads and people who are willing to help. About applications if you're using the bleeding edge stuff then there are many but if you're using LTS or long term releases still there are many.

I know there're many many platforms of Linux but currently it Debian based systems which are very easy to run and customize to your taste. Above mentioned distributions have there own GUI's which are easier to understand and you really don't need to know much about coding to get things working on those systems.

Now about running Paladins on Linux, for this you might have to use an emulator like WINE to emulate windows application execution environment. But his might not be as smooth as running a game on windows. I run games on windows 10 also I've the most recent windows release which is mainly targeted toward gaming. The memory management is much better than other versions windows. When it comes to other resources windows 10 seems to be doing a good job managing them.

Best advice is to have your windows running with a minimal install which means only have what you really need on the computer. Windows is not the main culprit who would eat you RAM and bandwidth browsers and many other software could be blamed for this. So have as minimal amount of programs running in the background on my rig I only have my virus guard. sound enhancer software and Razor Cortex running. Try a fresh windows install with a minimal software installation and also have a defragmentation cycle as well because fragmented files make game loading slow as well.

Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 500 Experience Points 3 months registered Forum Tier 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortis01 View Post
    Simple answer:
    Linux cannot run Paladins cannot run natively.

Medium answer:
    Linux can run Windows apps like Paladins through special tools, so you're free pick your favorite flavor of Linux and your favorite Windows compatibility tool. You will not get support from Paladins if anything goes wrong but some folks apparently are running Paladins successfully on Linux.

Longer answer:
    I advise sticking with Windows and customizing it to make it more suitable for you.

While it's true that 'by default' Linux tends to consume less than Windows, I find that the amount of time and effort it takes me to make Windows and Windows apps run like I want is less than the time and effort it takes me to make Linux and Linux apps run like I want, assuming I can even find the app (or at least a version optimized for my flavor of Linux versus the dozens of other current flavors out there).

Still, Linux is a good skill to have so if Paladins is a gateway to picking up Linux knowledge, it could be a fun exercise.
    ^ This.

I use Ubuntu for work, internet and such. But not for games.

Linux is not a platform suitable for gaming because of DX. Almost all PC Games use DX (windows) as renderizer library. To properly convert it to linux is a lot of effort... some apps try it hard (Wine) but not 100% effective.

If you're looking for performance, I still use windows 7 for gaming and it works pretty excellent for everyone I use. Already tried using linux but the headaches to make a game work plus the performance and stability is not a fair trade, in my opinion.