Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Lex Revamp (Devs, read this!)

Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 Tagger First Class 1000 Experience Points

Lightbulb Lex Revamp/Overhaul(Devs, read this!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----OVERVIEW-----
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These days Lex is hated far and wide, in high elo and in low elo, for opposite reasons. He used to be so much fun, but now, nobody enjoys it when he is in a match. All Lex has become since his rework is a spammy, low skill champ, that doesn't reward good aim like he used to. It used to feel so rewarding when you landed your shots, and his magnums felt like they had a lot more Mmph to them when they were fired. Corner peeking also felt rewarding. Over all he was just a blast to play, and I, along with a lot of others want that back.

In his current state, Lex is a total spammer, and isn't effective at all against most champions in the meta: Cassie, Zhin, Bomb King, ETC. all destroy him. Sure he can run up and deal good damage, but he has a bad escape (which i don't think needs to be changed, if he gets the slow firing back) for the fast-firing playstyle he has. Often times he will get a kill, but will just end up trading his life for that of an enemy.

So in order to solve these problems, I came up with a massive overhaul of the current Lex. This includes a base movement speed increase of 5%, changes to 3 of his talents, 4 abilities, as well as 12/16 of his loadout cards.

I'll start off with an explanation of EVERY change, and you can scroll down to the end of the post to just see a summary of the raw stat changes. For those who prefer visuals (I'd honestly say to look at this first, because I have a lot to say about the changes), I made a mockup of the changes to his base kit, legendary cards (talents), and loadout cards. The legend for the color coding in the pictures is up at the top.

You'll have to click on the photo to zoom in, and you may need to use the ctrl+ command to zoom in on your browser for the loadout cards. Links here:

Base Kit/Talents visual (link)

Loadout cards visual (link)

I highly reccomend that you check these out!

-----ABILITIES-----

PRIMARY FIRE
    • First and foremost, Lex gets his old 700 dmg per shot, slow firing speed back (Please list the number in the ability overview Hi-Rez!) These shots are effective AT/NEAR medium range, and start to drop off roughly 20-25% earlier than the maximum range of a basic zhin attack (A good reference is from the opening in the wall in the shooting range to the Ying bot). This also means no accuracy loss when shooting from the ground.

IN PURSUIT(Current auto-aim)--->TURBO JUSTICE
    • I see a lot of people complaining about his "In Pursuit" auto-aim ability, so when thinking of how to rework him, I decided to address that first. Autoaim isn't really a problem, though unskilled players think it is. So for everyone as a whole, it's all about perceived balance. Either way, I still think Lex's RMB could be turned into something more useful that would some require some judgement calls.

• I changed the "In Pursuit" ability to "Turbo Jusitce". This ability allows you to fire 15% Faster for 4s, and has a 12s cooldown. Keep in mind that this is 15% faster than Lex's old firing speed, and is nothing compared to his current firing speed. This firing speed will help since Lex is losing the follow up that "In Pursuit" provided. I have some experience with bonus firing speed from lex's old 25% boost on firing speed after using combat slide, so i know that 15% won't be too much for his base kit (plus you can't spam the ability to re-proc the attack speed).

• This ability will have a short animation where you knock your guns together, similar to retribution.

COMBAT SLIDE
    • Another change I wanted to make was to "Combat Slide". No nerfs buffs, or even reworks. I just wanted a quality of life change that I think would improve the experience of sliding, since it can sometimes be jarring when you try to aim. I think adding a 25.5 Degree turning angle would be nice, since often times it can be imossible to aim far enough left/right without your camera locking you from looking further. This would make lex a more efficient slide-gunner, and in turn the ability would become more of an active utility, since his slide isn't very useful when used as an escape tool.

• This changed should be implemented in a way that allows you to turn completely left/right even after you've been sliding for ≈.2s, so you can turn completely before/by the end of the duration. The sensitivity of the turn might also have to scale with the slide speed and duration cards. This would be controlled with the "A" and "D" keys.

RETRIBUTION
    • Remove the ability to reroll onto the same target on activation.

THE LAW
    • No changes.

-----TALENTS-----

DEATH HASTENS
    • Since Lex is getting an increase in damage along with an ability that allows him to shoot more often in his base kit, I think this legendary needs a little bit of tweaking. The damage bonus is going from 25%-->20%, and the Damage will now apply to targets at 55% health instead of 65% health.

• This should make the talent more flexible, without it becoming too good.

DISCOVERY
    • The 30% bonus damage on a retribution target combined with "Turbo Justice" would be too good, so I think a rework is in order. Retribution now reveals 2 targets to you, and the cooldown is reduced to 12s. It might need to be 15s, but I'm not sure it would see enough play there.

• This talent will be viable because of the change to the loadout card "Keen Sight". It gives you the same damage reduction that heroism does if you have "Keen Sight" at level 4 (20%), but to 2 targets, all the time. Heroism gives you the reduction to everyone, but gives a lower percentage than Discovery with "Keen Sight" at level 5, and it isn't always active.

• When one of your targets is killed, only the target that died gets rerolled to a different champion.

THE LAW WON
    • This would be broken for the same reason the old discovery would be. Too much potential damage. So instead, you now deal 15% more damage when turbo justice is active, and it lasts for 1s longer.

• This might be too strong, but testing is required.

HEROISM
    • Let's face it, this legendary is useless. I've tweaked it to make it a little better, and to work better with the change in firing style. Combat slide grants you 2 ammo over 1 second, and 20% damage reduction during combat slide, and for 1s after.

• This is sort of similar to Lian's precision legendary, so I'm not sure if 2 ammo is too much or not. I think not getting the ammo instantly might stop it from being infinite ammo, but maybe the infinite ammo won't happen. This also needs a decent amount of testing.

• The damage reduction is different from the "Discovery" talent for reasons mentioned in its' talent explanation.

-----CARDS-----

RETRIBUTION CARDS

INESCAPEABLE
    • Speed reduced from 5%--->3% due to the base move speed increase of 5%.

JUSTICE SERVED
    • No change.

**KEEN SIGHT**
    • Speed boost when near your retribution target is replaced with damage reduction of 5% per level to your retribution. Good filler card, essential with the new discovery talent rework.

• This could possibly prove troublesome when paired with heroism against 1 target, but people would have to learn to group up with their team(diminishing returns also exists, but I'm not sure how the values work). Nerfing this card would hurt discovery relatively badly I'd think, and heroism seems fine by itself. It might need to be nerfed to 4% depending on how things go (in mid-high elo), and "Discovery" might need to have an initial damage reduction of around 10% or so, so that the total stacks to 25% reduction in total after diminishing returns with a 3-4% keen sight card at level 5.

• This is probably the most technical thing to balance, in tandem with "Discovery" as far as tweaking numbers goes.

THE HUNTED
    • No change.

TURBO JUSTICE CARDS

ASSAIL
    • Now offers 1 ammo every .75 for .75 seconds. This works over time instead of all at once. It also works better with the 6 ammo capacity of the magnums.

COMPEL
    • Reduces the cooldown of "Turbo Justice" by .6s per level. This might need to be reduced to .5s per level, but i feel like it wouldn't be worth using it like that if you used any talent other than "The Law Won"

FORTITUDE
    • Shots during Turbo Justice now heal you for 5% per level. I think this is a better idea than a base heal just for activating it. It also works well with the "Hardiness" card.

• Possibly needs to be increased to 6% per level.

HARDINESS
    • Replaced damage reduction with increased healing by 8% per level during Turbo Justice, because it lasts longer than "In Pursuit", and because of the "Keen Sight" card, as well as the damage reduction talents.

COMBAT SLIDE CARDS

COMMENCEMENT
    • Just a small Buff for the distance of your combat slide from 10%-->12% per level, so it becomes a better filler card at level 2 and 3.

REQUIP
    • Removed ammo on combat slide due to the "Heroism" talent rework. Now you can slide 10% faster per level during the combat slide, which can be paired nicely with the new "Commencement" card.

• The new turning sensitivity would also have to be coded so that it would remain the same when using any level of these cards.

WARRANTS OUT
    • Reduced speed on combat slide from 10% per level to 6% per level due to the 5% base speed increase, plus more reduction, so the maximum possible speed is reduced overall. Scales worse than the previous 10% per level the more levels you put into it (Overall nerf).

WICKED DON'T REST
    • Cooldown of combat slide reduced by 5%--->7% per shot due to the magnum firing speed reduction and lower ammo count.

ARMOR/WEAPON CARDS

CONDITIONED
    • No change.

• Might need to be dropped down to 2% though with the 5% base speed increase.

JUKE BOOTS
    • No change.

RESTOCK
    • No more ammo on kills, since the "Assail" card, and "Heroism" talent both offer ammo. Replaced with 12% CC and slow reduction while you are casting an ability (All of Lex's abilities have short cast times (animations), including the new "Turbo Justice" ability).

• Also has a 3s Internal cooldown.

WELL OILED
    • Increased reload time from 5%--->6% per level. This change allows it to be a better filler card, since Lex's new ammo count will be 6, and he will fire more.

-----SHORT SUMMARY OF CHANGES-----

Abilities
    Base Kit changes
    • Movement speed increased by 5%

• Retain perfect accuracy when firing from the ground

Primary fire
    • Damage 350--->700, Fire rate reduced to Insert Old Fire Rate Here

In Pursuit (Rework)
    • In Pursuit---->Turbo Justice. Fire 15% faster for 4s.

Combat Slide
    • Gain the abiltity to turn left or right 22.5 degrees after activating combat slide.

Retribution
    • No longer able to roll the same target

Talents
    Death Hastens
    • Bonus damge: 25%--->20%

• Enemy health cap: 65%--->55%

Discovery (Rework)
    • Retribution now reveals 2 targets to you instead of 1, and the cooldown is reduced to 12s.

The Law Won (Rework)
    • Turbo Justice now grants 15% bonus damage for the duration, and lasts 1s longer.

Heroism (Rework)
    • Gain 2 ammo over 1s when activating slide, and gain 20% damage reduction while sliding and for 1s after.

Retribution Cards
    Inescapeable
    • Speed reduced from {5%|5%}-->{3%|3%}

Keen Sight (Rework)
    • Your retribution target(s) now deals {5%|5%} less damage to you.

Turbo Justice Cards
    Assail (Rework)
    • Activating Turbo Justice grants you 1 ammo every .75s for {.75s|.75s}

Compel ("Rework")
    • Reduces the cooldown of turbo justice by {.6s|.6s}

Fortitude (Rework)
    • Gain {5%|5%} lifesteal while turbo justice is active

Hardiness (Rework)
    • Gain {8%|8%} increased healing while turbo justice is active

Combat Slide Cards
    Commencement
    • Increase the distance of combat slide by {10%|10%}--->{12%|12%}

Requip (Rework)
    • Slide {10%|10%} faster during combat slide.

Warrants Out
    • Gain {10%|10%}--->{6%|6%} movement speed for 2s after combat slide ends.

Wicked Don't Rest
    • Hitting an enemy reduced the cooldown of combat slide by {5%|5%}--->{7%|7%}

Weapon/Armor Cards
    Restock (Rework)
    • CC and slows are reduced by {12%|12%} while casting an ability

Well Oiled
    • Reload {5%|5%}--->{6%|6%} faster

~P.S.~

Final Thoughts: I think that all of these changes give Lex a great reason to use each of them in different situtations. I think with slight tweaking they would all be viable. 2 of his talents give damage reduction, and two give damage boosts.

The art team doesn't need to make any new art for the abilties; just a single animation.

For those worried about the speed buff, yes, he is getting a base speed buff with these changes, but he is going to shoot slower (So if he is ever all up in your face, you will have more time to react), and his loadout cards that increase movement speed will be weaker, and even more so when scaled (Except for the "Conditioned" movement speed card, which you will have to invest a lot of points into to get high numbers, which you probably won't go for because of the new legendaries, and the complementary builds that they offer. Though I'm not against it being reduced to 2% per level.)

Also, If the base speed isn't added, then the speed nerfs to the cards will be too much.

I'm also not sure whether "Keen Sight" should be 3% damage reduction per level, and the "Discovery" talent should inately give 10% damage reduction, or if it should be 5% per level.

Also, I know the game is coming out of beta tomorrow, but that doesn't mean things need changing. Lex is a mess right now.

Let me also say WOW! I had NO IDEA that balancing was going to be this time-consuming and difficult. I give the balancing team a lot of flak, but doing this has given me some perspective. Big props to them, even though they do mess up

By the way, if anyone at Hi-Rez is reading this, you have my permission to make all of these changes without giving any credit, but please, just make some changes to Lex.

And finally, I don't mean to sound pretentious at all but I spent hours brainstorming and designing this post, and it's time to make a change. Please share this post in the places it matters most.

Thanks for reading!

-Off
    Last edited by OffPHwnr; 05-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 10000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered
    How about

LMB = Left gun, RMB = Right gun, the proposed rework is too similar to Talus' overcharge. During Combat Slide, he could 15% fire faster, but that's still requiring aim and each mouse button still fires its respective gun.

Still deals 700 damage every 0.8 seconds, like you said. Maybe bump the ammo capacity to 8 because it may be jarring to have to manage ammo like that. Each magnum has 4 shots, the user doesn't necessarily have to alternate shots.

P.S., Sorry that this goes completely against your card ideas for Turbo Justice, but he could have 4 weapon cards and 4 armour cards.
    Last edited by Skidt; 05-07-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    The most useful kind of teammate is one who dodges all your heals and walks into enemy bullets.

Plat II, do I finally have some credibility now?

Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    I like the current Lex, I just want his auto-aim gone.

If they do however revert the change to slow fire rate, they need to make it one pistol, because two pistols that take 1.5 seconds to shoot and only hold 3 bullets each is just ridiculously stupid.
    Last edited by MekaDeth; 05-07-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Forum Tier 4 Forum Tier 2 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by MekaDeth View Post
    I like the current Lex, I just want his auto-aim gone.
    problem with lex is speed deck, not auto aim

I did pay a dime for this game, because I support good decisions

golden quote : "OB64 did come out because of the responses we got during the PTS cycle"

Glad for OB67, now that we are back on track, work on the Matchmaker please!!!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by OffPHwnr View Post
    Autoaim isn't really a problem, though unskilled players think it is. So for everyone as a whole, it's all about perceived balance.

-Off
    Um what? Explain to me how skilled players think having aimbot in the game is OK? This is an FPS game, not World of Wankcraft.
    Last edited by MekaDeth; 05-07-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by EpplZ View Post
    problem with lex is speed deck, not auto aim
    He is about as fast as Maeve, so why can't two flankers be fast?

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Forum Tier 4 Forum Tier 2 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by MekaDeth View Post
    He is about as fast as Maeve, so why can't two flankers be fast?
    if you get rekt by an autoaim champ without mobility its because you picked like a noob or cant burst him / are deaf. Sorry but Lex is far from being op.

PS : you can go my guru to get a point, I'm middle at best, still is I dont give a flying fuck about lex because I have some gamesense, if you dont, just stop posting in balance feedback plox.

I did pay a dime for this game, because I support good decisions

golden quote : "OB64 did come out because of the responses we got during the PTS cycle"

Glad for OB67, now that we are back on track, work on the Matchmaker please!!!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by EpplZ View Post
    if you get rekt by an autoaim champ without mobility its because you picked like a noob or cant burst him / are deaf. Sorry but Lex is far from being op.

PS : you can go my guru to get a point, I'm middle at best, still is I dont give a flying fuck about lex because I have some gamesense, if you dont, just stop posting in balance feedback plox.
    Firstly, you didn't answer my question.

Secondly I never said lex was OP I said that auto aim does not belong in an FPS game read it again.

And finally, you are not a moderator, so don't tell me what I can and can't do.

PS; As a Lex player that uses his speed deck, I find that only potato players struggle to hit me. Skilled players still hit me very easily, so perhaps it is you that "picked like a noob" or whatever that means.
    Last edited by MekaDeth; 05-07-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    wtf you work more than hirez

didn't read tho lol

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    7 days registered Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by OffPHwnr View Post

... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...

Thanks for reading!

-Off
    By far the most thorough post I've ever seen! I hope Hi-Rez takes your thoughts into consideration