Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: The Matchmaker Conundrum 2.0

Beta Player Baron SocraticPhoenix's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallachia View Post
    I believe that it happened on OB64. You know how a computer glitches sometimes, then one glitch here becomes another glitch there and the entire computer ends up needing maintenance? I think the same think might be happening with MM, the bugs seem to be scaling somehow. I don't even know if this is all possible, but things seem to be going more and more downhill.
    I'm actually a developer/programmer, so I do indeed understand that bugs can multiply.

Without knowing exactly how matchmaking works, we can't really say much about it being buggy, but I could envision a scenario where MMR is perpetually made larger for some players and smaller for others. It's possible that MMR is somewhat of a self-confirming prophecy at the moment, causing fairly good players to be placed too high, fairly bad players to be placed too low, and decent players to be caught confused in the middle.

I'd be willing to bet Valkure is one of the fairly good players placed to high, unable to win any game. Meanwhile, I'm a decent player caught in the middle, witnessing stomp after stomp, some of them wins and some of them losses.

EDIT:

To be honest, the best way I can see to fix this would be to re-work the matchmaker and then reset MMR...
    Last edited by SocraticPhoenix; 02-06-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    Main Role: Support / Frontline

Main: Seris
    Best Healing: 288,822

Support: Seris (43) / Mal’Damba (31) / Jenos (20)
    Frontline: Makoa (30) / Inara (20) / Ash (18)
    Flank: Talus (25) / Maeve (19) / Evie (12)
    Damage: Willo (21) / Drogoz (14) / Kinessa (13)

Rank (S1): Diamond 3
    Rang (S2): Gold 1 (Grinding to Diamond )

My Champion Concepts

Beta Player Viscount
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    If I understood correctly MMR will be reset for season 2. So It would be a good time to look at MM again.
    Last edited by Gwadachou; 02-06-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Beta Player Baron SocraticPhoenix's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwadachou View Post
    If I understood correctl MMR will be reset for season 2. So It would be a good time to look at MM again.
    It will or it won't...

@Wallachia told me everything would be reset, but then Hi-Rez posted an update saying it was going to be a "soft reset" where MMR will be slightly lowered, but not reset... So I'm not sure which it actually is. I'm also not sure if we'll be keeping our ranked borders or if we'll have to qualify again...
    Main Role: Support / Frontline

Main: Seris
    Best Healing: 288,822

Support: Seris (43) / Mal’Damba (31) / Jenos (20)
    Frontline: Makoa (30) / Inara (20) / Ash (18)
    Flank: Talus (25) / Maeve (19) / Evie (12)
    Damage: Willo (21) / Drogoz (14) / Kinessa (13)

Rank (S1): Diamond 3
    Rang (S2): Gold 1 (Grinding to Diamond )

My Champion Concepts

Beta Player Viscount
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    I'm also confused now. In my opinion a reset of the frame with no MMR real reset won't solve anything in most cases.

With a full reset, and a rework, start of season will be an extra sucky but mid to long term will make more sense.

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by M3RC3N4RI0 View Post
    When I was still Gold, I was matched with unranked up to Platin, but not with Diamond. I could only find one match with a diamond player. And here is the match with me - poor Gold I - and 4 Diamonds. I picked Grover but they forced me to switch to Jenos and I really sucked, haven't played him quite a while.

By the way. The Diamond IV Bomb King has the same ELO like me with Gold I. There was a discussion a while ago if ELO and rank match in ranked.

P.S.
    So the boundaries for ranked seem to be "Unranked<---> Platin" and "Silver<---> Diamond".
    Lucky you. Im still gold, but even pre ob64, ive always been matched mostly against plats, diamonds, a few cases masters, and of grandmasters (only karisray koorland and in casual though) even when im in solo queue. after ob64 though, things just got a lot worse because, at least preob64, teams were more or less balanced, just one or two players out of place. now however. its just shit
    BUFF SEA SERVERS!!

I MAIN FRONTLINES
    Im good with:
    Frontlines: Ash, Fernando, Terminus, Torvald, Khan, Inara
    Support: Mal'damba, Jenos, Seris, Pip
    Damage: Viktor, Sha lin, Cassie, Lian, Willo, Tyra
    Flank: Maeve

IGN: IamRick
    Current Rank: Platinum V

LONG LIVE THE MAGISTRATE!

Beta Player Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester 500 Experience Points
    http://paladins.guru/match/pc/211908217
    http://paladins.guru/match/pc/211919460
    http://paladins.guru/match/pc/211929957
    Seriously you have to stop hard resetting ques and make me grind through an ungodly ammount of noobs every game to get in my elo.
    Last edited by Wallachia; 02-06-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered
    Matchmaker was made taking into consideration a much higher playerbase than we have active, so it's like it's permanently stuck on the functioning of "We are lacking personnel, let's put those guys here together!"
    I think that MM wasn't calibrated after OB4, which is why you are entering matches that weren't supposed to happen to you, even if you play in a duo.
    I think we're grossly misdiagnosing the problem. If the playerbase is just too low for the MM to work correctly, we should be seeing somewhat longer queue times than before. Queue times are still very short, but MM is somehow even worse than it was before.

"Calibrate" is not really a word that has relevance to a matchmaking system, to my knowledge. Can you explain what you mean better? What exactly does "calibrate" mean, here? Do you mean the MM needs to be adjusted somehow after each patch? If so, why?

Casual elo is only based on winrate in that specific casual gamemode. Whoever you are on ranked makes no difference.
    IMO, this sentence from the original post explains all of the problems we're experiencing. Winrate is not really a usable parameter for a matchmaker. If you take all the people with 70% WR and start putting them into matches together, obviously their WR will not stay at 70%. Everyone's WR will gradually drop down close to 50%. Likewise, if all the 30% WR players go to the same matches, their WR will rise to nearly 50%, no matter how bad they are.

Thanks for making the thread and trying to help us figure out what hi-rez's definition of a "matchmaker" is. My best guess is that there isn't really much of a matchmaker at all. It sounds like the system is just grabbing 10 players and then sorting them into teams that have similar average win rates. That's...not a real matchmaker.

Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Forum Tier 2 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Uhh... Whaaaaaaaat?

By the way, these weren't players that don't play ranked. These were just new players. And I wasn't party'd up with any new players either, only person I was with was Caliban here.
    Last edited by CatManDude; 02-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Protect your supports please... They want support too!
    Support main/Pip main. Greatest healing: 230,070 | Current goal: 200,000 achieved! Take a look at it! Woohoo!

Just a silly idea

Support Pip guide here!

Fix the Pip bugs! There are 40 of them, so can we fix them please?

Beta Player Marquess
    Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered Forum Tier 4
    When will the fucking matchmaking update be released?
    I am...
    ....sick of being teamed with total beginners after 500 hours of experience.
    ....sick of playing against premade teams as a solo player
    ....sick of having to carry totally lost players who don't even know how to press Q

My patience is gone soon. Too many useless updates around the worst matchmaking system of all time.

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDude View Post

Uhh... Whaaaaaaaat?

By the way, these weren't players that don't play ranked. These were just new players. And I wasn't party'd up with any new players either, only person I was with was Caliban here.
    Damn son. those pitiful fools
    BUFF SEA SERVERS!!

I MAIN FRONTLINES
    Im good with:
    Frontlines: Ash, Fernando, Terminus, Torvald, Khan, Inara
    Support: Mal'damba, Jenos, Seris, Pip
    Damage: Viktor, Sha lin, Cassie, Lian, Willo, Tyra
    Flank: Maeve

IGN: IamRick
    Current Rank: Platinum V

LONG LIVE THE MAGISTRATE!