Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: [GUIDE] Which items to choose in games!

  1. #1
    Beta Player Viscount AsphyxiaXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    427
    Level
    27
    Points: 2,024, Level: 27
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered

    [GUIDE] Which items to choose in games!

    Disclaimer: This guide is subject to edits if I think of anything that I forgot to mention.

    I've noticed that people frequently pick items that they shouldn't in games and figured it would be nice to give people some insight on what they should and should not be picking to maximize their effectiveness.

    All items can be viewed here: https://paladins.gamepedia.com/Items - the goal of this guide isn't really to explain what these items do, but when to take which items under which situations. We're starting with the assumption that you've read what the items do and that you do not have an understanding of which you should prioritize taking in games.

    I have games where I'll start out with no items at all until I see what I need most. This is especially true for damage and flanks to see what enemies are giving you the hardest time if any, then if you die or when the round ends and you're back in spawn, you can decide what you need to prioritize to combat your enemies best. Rather that is cauterize, blast shields, haven, etc - knowing which enemies are hurting you worse before taking cards is a good plan. You don't want to take Haven because of a Maeve then find out that the Maeve is bad and you have a Drogoz on you all game making you wish you took blast shields.

    We'll start out by talking about the "Attack" items.

    "Attack" Items

    Bulldozer
    - I personally never run bulldozer because prioritizing Cauterize is significantly better for the team.
    - The only reason I can see to run bulldozer is if the enemy team had multiple champions that use deployables. If the enemy has Inara and Grohk for example, one tank getting Bulldozer to take down the totem, wall, and warders field is acceptable.
    - Never take Bulldozer against a Ying with Resonance (Legendary card) because you are going to be killing your own team faster by killing her clones faster. If Ying takes Life Like, it is not bad to have one tank with bulldozer to kill those clones to cut off healing if Ying is the only healer.
    - Barik's turrets do not have enough HP to merit taking Bulldozer, they can be killed easily.

    Cauterize
    - This is always the safe bet card if you're not sure what "Attack" item to take.
    - Every front line should have Cauterize (Exception listed above about Bulldozer)
    - There are many cases where your whole team should take cauterize.
    - Front lines should heavily prioritize leveling cauterize to help make sure the enemy tanks die faster to the damage being put out by your allies.

    Wrecker
    - Terminus (the damage absorbing is NOT effected by wrecker) and Inara do not have shields, you do not need wrecker against them.
    - Ash and Barik's shields are weak, their shields are not strong enough to merit taking wrecker. Prioritize Cauterize for them.
    - If the cases listed above are not an issue, only ONE PERSON should have wrecker, and that person should be the primary damage dealer.
    -- On this note, I have seen flanks take wrecker for Vivian. I have mixed feelings about that, but I suppose it is acceptable if it improves the ability to kill Vivian faster. I personally just aim at the feet.
    - I heavily prioritize leveling Wrecker as damage if the enemy team has a Fernando, but if they have a Torvald as primary tank, I'll generally only take wrecker 1, some times wrecker 2 depending on the champion I am playing. Example: Wrecker 1 is all that is needed on Kinessa or Strix to one shot the shield on Ruckus or Torvald, but you may want Wrecker 2 if you're playing any of the other damage champions.
    - Note: Grover's Ferocity card does not spec with Wrecker, there is no point in taking it for Grover.

    Deft Hands
    - The only champion that should ever be taking Deft Hands is Mal'Damba because it will increase the speed of his snake stun. No one else needs Deft Hands and prioritizing Cauterize or Wrecker is a much better choice.

    "Utility" Items

    Master Riding
    - Depending on the map, this is excellent to prioritize. Ice Mines and Frozen Guard are two that this card is amazing for.
    - I personally would prioritize Master Riding over any of the other utility items as a tank (especially on the maps listed above), but Chronos and Nimble are also very helpful on Inara and Terminus.
    - The important thing to remember about Master Riding is that if you do die, which you might, this is the quickest way to get back to your team to help them. - This item may also be the difference between capping the point and losing it if you're a front line and you died.

    Morale Boost
    - This really just depends on the champion you're playing on if it is worth taking. I would say if you're playing Pip, Drogoz, Seris, Skye, or Ying - this is a good choice. There may be some others I am forgetting, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind when I think about morale boost.

    Nimble
    - I've found that Nimble is excellent on champions who need to be actively moving around a lot. This works great for most flanks to increase their mobility, Tyra since she has very low mobility, and some front lines if they're flanking more (super effective on Terminus and Torvald in my experience.)

    Chronos
    - The most important thing to remember about Chronos is that you cannot reduce your cooldown more than 50% of its base cooldown. For example, "Restore Soul" on Seris has a 4 second cooldown, I have a card in my load out that reduces it by 2 seconds, so Chronos will not reduce the cooldown of that heal at all. While it will help other cooldowns for seris, I generally prioritize Morale Boost on Seris because of that.
    - I generally will only take Chronos to 2 on Mal'Damba and Jenos because of the cooldown cap.
    - All champions can benefit from Chronos and it really comes down to preference, but I generally prioritize master riding for front lines and some damage, nimble for most flanks and some damage, and chronos for healers except Seris personally.


    "Healing" items

    Rejuvenate
    - All front liners should have this and heavily priorize leveling it to try to keep your healing up with the enemy team taking cauterize.
    - Depending on how amazing your healer is, such as if you have a good Jenos that is pocket healing the damage and flanks even, it isn't a bad idea to take this on some of those as well. I would not prioritize this as a damage or flank though.

    Veteran
    - Don't take veteran. There is never a reason for this when every other healing item you can take is better at all times. Always remember that if you're just sitting somewhere to heal, you're not doing your job for your team and hitting VHS "NEED HEALING" buttons may prompt your healer to turn around and heal you so you can keep moving and that will heal you faster.

    Kill to Heal
    - I've found this very useful on Flanks and Damage champions. I generally will not prioritize it until I know that I am able to kill my enemies with ease though.

    Life Rip
    - This always seems to be a safe bet on damage champions and flanks, especially if your enemies are giving you a hard time and you're getting them close to dead before dying yourself.


    "Defense" items

    Illuminate
    - If you're playing flank and the enemy team has Sha Lin, Skye, or Strix - you need to take Illuminate first thing so that you can effectively do your job as flank.
    - This is useful for damage champions if the enemy team has Skye so that you can be on the look out for her and kill her before she kills you.

    Resilience
    - This is a must for tanks if the enemy has a Bomb King in my opinion, especially if they're using the accelerant legendary.
    - I find this to be very useful against Torvald, Ash, and Cassie on maps like Frog Isle so that they cannot easily knock you off the map.
    - This is very helpful against Pip and Seris for their ultimate abilities.

    Blast Shields
    - This will help reduce damage that is done AOE, such as Drogoz, Evie, Bomb King, Willo, Ash, and Talus (his overcharge is AOE damage.)
    - If the team has a blaster and someone that deals more direct damage, I'd recommend waiting to take this until you know which of those is hurting you most.

    Haven
    - Many champions are direct damage dealers, including most of the flanks. This is very useful to prioritize as a damage player against a flank that does not deal AOE damage.
    - If the team has a blaster and someone that deals more direct damage, I'd recommend waiting to take this until you know which of those is hurting you most.



    Feel free to ask questions to give your input. I don't think I am the end all knowledge in this game and some of these things, I learned more recently by watching pro players streaming. I've followed my own advise in this post and it has helped me win games a lot better.
    Last edited by AsphyxiaXT; 12-14-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    AsphyxiaXT
    The Insane
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/AsphyxiaXT
    Twitter: Twitter.com/Asphyxia_XT

    Please revert Kinessa's scope!

  2. #2
    Beta Player Sovereign Prince AliceWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ice Mines
    Posts
    1,013
    Level
    44
    Points: 4,945, Level: 44
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 Overdrive 3 months registered Tagger Second Class
    Hey, nice guide. Thanks.
    It corresponds with my items choice.

    I don't understand why many don't like veteran. It is not preferable but is suitable for champs like Seris , zhin etc., and tanks with no healer, who is good at evading or finding cover. Lvl 3 veteran feels like being healed by Seris. It is not as good as other items though.

    The frustration there is when Vik or Tyra pick deft hands.. haha..

    Do you take nimble for Evie?
    Last edited by AliceWest; 12-13-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude -Maya Angelou

  3. #3
    Beta Player Viscount AsphyxiaXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    427
    Level
    27
    Points: 2,024, Level: 27
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceWest View Post
    Hey, nice guide. Thanks.
    It corresponds with my items choice.
    Thanks! Glad to hear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliceWest View Post
    I don't understand why many don't like veteran. It is not preferable but is suitable for champs like Seris , zhin etc., and tanks with no healer, who is good at evading or finding cover. Lvl 3 veteran feels like being healed by Seris. It is not as good as other items though.
    I generally don't take a healing card on Seris since I have so many self-heal abilities from cards. The main reason I don't take veteran under any circumstance is that if you're out of combat and standing somewhere waiting to heal up, you're generally not out helping your team. I've jumped in to fights with half my HP to save a tank or something and life rip usually does enough healing on me to keep me alive as I kill the enemies, or kill to heal if they're not too great.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliceWest View Post
    The frustration there is when Vik or Tyra pick deft hands.. haha..
    Yes, I agree completely. I've only ever found deft hands to be super useful on Mal'Damba personally. I've gone in to the training arena and tried out deft hands on things like Kinessa and it was really nice being able to reload quickly and get back to shooting, but I'd have to say in a real game that prioritizing wrecker or cauterize on Kinessa is just so much better. I suppose if the enemies had no front line or support, taking deft hands on Kinessa could be acceptable, but I'd just prioritize different items than attack cards all together in that case. Most likely would need more defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliceWest View Post
    Do you take nimble for Evie?
    Personally I don't take any utility cards when I play Evie. Her cooldowns are pretty short, so Chronos isn't a big deal. She has such high mobility with soar and blink (I also run worm hole) that I never really felt like I needed nimble, and I don't die enough on Evie to justify master riding unless it is on a map like frozen guard or ice mines. She is the one flank that I don't feel is heavily benefited by Nimble personally.
    AsphyxiaXT
    The Insane
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/AsphyxiaXT
    Twitter: Twitter.com/Asphyxia_XT

    Please revert Kinessa's scope!

  4. #4
    Beta Player Baron Notomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    276
    Level
    28
    Points: 2,212, Level: 28
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Just some questions to clarify things:
    Resilience helps with Inara's ult, too, right?
    And say the enemy team has Fernando, and you're playing Ruckus. Your team has no wrecker, and Fernando is rarely being taken down due to his shield. Would you say it's a good idea to have wrecker while playing Ruckus in this situation? I've personally found it much easier to take him down when I go straight for wrecker while I'm playing him and never regretted taking it. However, I can see your point on focusing on getting cauterize.

  5. #5
    Beta Player Viscount AsphyxiaXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    427
    Level
    27
    Points: 2,024, Level: 27
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Notomi View Post
    Just some questions to clarify things:
    Resilience helps with Inara's ult, too, right?
    Yes it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Notomi View Post
    And say the enemy team has Fernando, and you're playing Ruckus. Your team has no wrecker, and Fernando is rarely being taken down due to his shield. Would you say it's a good idea to have wrecker while playing Ruckus in this situation? I've personally found it much easier to take him down when I go straight for wrecker while I'm playing him and never regretted taking it. However, I can see your point on focusing on getting cauterize.
    The main damage should be taking Wrecker ideally, if they ended up taking Cauterize since they don't know what to pick properly, then yeah I'd say that taking wrecker would be good for Ruckus at that time. I just wouldn't dive right in to Wrecker unless you knew the damage wasn't taking it personally. Most damage players should be able to use their brain enough to take Wrecker if the enemy team has Fernando - but I've seen people do dumb things which is why I wrote this up haha.

    I'm planning on making up some game scenarios also in order to help people understand what are good ideas as far as what order to prioritize items at some point here soon.
    AsphyxiaXT
    The Insane
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/AsphyxiaXT
    Twitter: Twitter.com/Asphyxia_XT

    Please revert Kinessa's scope!

  6. #6
    Beta Player Sovereign Prince DaSpyChecker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,329
    Level
    83
    Points: 17,048, Level: 83
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 10000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered
    My Favorites:

    Blue item: Resilience, 1.5 seond plus stuns often means you will die instantly or enemy will get away. Now necessary because of Bombking & Jenos, also reduces Maeve ult duration which is great & counters shalin's most OP ability, impale stun.

    Red item: Cauterize must have against Seris,Buck or any higher DPS champ with life rip. Jenos has low heal per second rate so only support i may not take against as a high damage champ.

    Green item: Kill to Heal
    because heals you also for assists which means you can do damage get into cover & get healed after team kills enemy. Only green item that can avoid being useless from cauterize, great with mine build Kinessa.

    Yellow item: Chronos if i rely heavily on abilities like for Supports, other wise Nimble for longer maps.

  7. #7
    Beta Player Viscount Benaful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    395
    Level
    25
    Points: 1,882, Level: 25
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points
    You made a mistake, series with chronos is worth, is just chronos start stackin with the 2 seconds cooldown, Cooldown cards that are in % are better cuz chronos reduce from the original cooldown, but with cards like rend souls from seris, (reduce cool down in seconds) the 10% cooldown reduction is from the 2 seconds, so with chronos level 3, you can heal each 1.4 seconds instead of each 2 seconds, it doesn't seem much but it is.
    Fav champions

    Front: Fernando, Ash & Rockus
    Support: Mal´Damba , Pip & Jenos
    Dmg: Pip & Lian
    Flank: Fernando ; ), Talus, zhin. (Yes i suck at flanking).

  8. #8
    Beta Player Prince M3RC3N4RI0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,227
    Level
    56
    Points: 7,267, Level: 56
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 1 year registered
    For Terminus Morale Boost ist almost a must. Reaching the ult means winning the point usually.

    I am surprised you give master riding such a high value. Yes, if I die as tank, I can return a few seconds faster with it. On the other hand, if I would have picked chronos I maybe wouldn't have died at all, since my shield came up in time to save me (or my escape skill). So you don't even know if you have more time in fight with master rider, while chronos also increases skills like Fernando's fireball or Torvald's protection.

  9. #9
    Beta Player Grand Prince NaixSenpai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    satanic republic of death
    Posts
    2,675
    Level
    57
    Points: 7,522, Level: 57
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive 1 year registered Forum Tier 3
    nice guide ty man
    (っ◔◡◔)っ Ty best Mod,

  10. #10
    Beta Player Viscount AsphyxiaXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    427
    Level
    27
    Points: 2,024, Level: 27
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSpyChecker View Post
    My Favorites:

    Blue item: Resilience, 1.5 seond plus stuns often means you will die instantly or enemy will get away. Now necessary because of Bombking & Jenos, also reduces Maeve ult duration which is great & counters shalin's most OP ability, impale stun.

    Red item: Cauterize must have against Seris,Buck or any higher DPS champ with life rip. Jenos has low heal per second rate so only support i may not take against as a high damage champ.

    Green item: Kill to Heal
    because heals you also for assists which means you can do damage get into cover & get healed after team kills enemy. Only green item that can avoid being useless from cauterize, great with mine build Kinessa.

    Yellow item: Chronos if i rely heavily on abilities like for Supports, other wise Nimble for longer maps.
    Kill to Heal is also a lot of fun on Strix since his flare gives him assists on kills.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benaful View Post
    You made a mistake, series with chronos is worth, is just chronos start stackin with the 2 seconds cooldown, Cooldown cards that are in % are better cuz chronos reduce from the original cooldown, but with cards like rend souls from seris, (reduce cool down in seconds) the 10% cooldown reduction is from the 2 seconds, so with chronos level 3, you can heal each 1.4 seconds instead of each 2 seconds, it doesn't seem much but it is.
    Chronos does NOT reduce the cooldown past 2 seconds on the heal for Seris! As I stated above, you cannot reduce a cooldown more than 50% of its base, that is including with cards from your loadout. If you don't believe me, go take it to the shooting range and see for yourself. I've tested it personally and HiRez has even referenced this fact multiple times during the PPL and PGS games.


    Quote Originally Posted by M3RC3N4RI0 View Post
    For Terminus Morale Boost ist almost a must. Reaching the ult means winning the point usually.
    If you're dying that much on Terminus to make Morale Boost worth taking, you're doing something very wrong. His ulti will charge up as he deals damage, and he his the highest damage per hit front liner. You can charge it fast as it is. Morale Boost is a waste on Terminus. Also, on this note, I rarely see Terminus land his ulti on anyone in the higher level games because it is easy to avoid unless you're stunned or pulled in by a Seris ulti. You can literally walk away from Terminus ulti easily.

    Quote Originally Posted by M3RC3N4RI0 View Post
    I am surprised you give master riding such a high value. Yes, if I die as tank, I can return a few seconds faster with it. On the other hand, if I would have picked chronos I maybe wouldn't have died at all, since my shield came up in time to save me (or my escape skill). So you don't even know if you have more time in fight with master rider, while chronos also increases skills like Fernando's fireball or Torvald's protection.
    I'd suggest watching some of the PPL games (Paladins Premier League) and see how the pros pick items. Master Riding is prioritized frequently because getting back to the point is critical. You win by capping the point, that is the key thing to remember. I don't think Chronos on any tank is going to keep you alive any better besides maybe Inara.
    Last edited by AsphyxiaXT; 12-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    AsphyxiaXT
    The Insane
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/AsphyxiaXT
    Twitter: Twitter.com/Asphyxia_XT

    Please revert Kinessa's scope!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •