Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My suggestions on how to avoid turning OB64 into a mess

Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Post My suggestions on how to avoid turning OB64 into a mess

Hello Hi-Rez and other Paladins players.

After OB64 was announced and released on PTS, at least 99% of players have been criticizing the latest patch and how it will change the game turning it into something awful under many aspects.
    However, there are many players who don't want to quit, so I think that some changes could actually avoid a massive loss of players which would cause the game to get abandoned and, most likely, closed.

Let's go down discussing each point:

• Unbound Cards
    • Loadout
    • Legendary cards
    • Casual / Ranked matches
    • card balance
    • Crystals

UNBOUND CARDS

The idea of giving everyone all cards is good, since you don't need to spend Essence (which will be gone) on a card that you are not even sure you will use in the future. However, starting at level 1 to level 5 will require finding the same card multiple times, up to 42 times for the common ones.
    Let's face it, while 42 is universally known as the answer, in a game like Paladins it won't fit in this situation.
    Not only the number is excessive, but without allowing players to have other ways to get those cards, it will require simply too much time.

I offer different possibilities about the way to deal with this problem without tossing away the base idea:

1) let people buy cards: 1,000 Gold for each common, 2,000 Gold for uncommon ones and 3,000 for rare ones.
    2) let players purchase with a small amount gold the upgrade up to lv. 3, so they can par with older players who already have most/all cards available.
    3) what written before, but also allowing Crystals as payment option (10 crystals /common, 20 crystals /uncommon, 30 crystals /rare).

LOADOUTS

This Paladins' feature is awesome. Personally I'd leave as it is, it's just great and fit perfectly with the current cards.
    However you have decided, for some unknown reasons, that new cards must reach lvl.5, which will mess up the system. Your idea of fixed loadouts is bad, it only helps those who have enough money to spend and max out all cards. Which means > 90% of active players are simply cut off. And there won't be new players at all, since they have no chance to reach the level of veteran players.
    And for Ranked matches almost everyone will use the same group of cards, simply because with fixed bonuses some "decks" just won't work.

Here my suggestions:
    1) Let players choose the cards and their level: since now cards have a max level of 5, the max (fixed) value of 12 won't work, so let's raise it to 16. Sixteen points offer a wide range of possibilities, leaving each player the beauty of creating a personal set of cards.
    Still you have to reach that fixed value, so it means players will need to have at least 1 card at lvl.4.
    As you can surely notice, this system requires players to be able to upgrade cards with gold (or crystals) in order to work.
    2) same as point #1, but leaving the max amount of points to 15 - so no lv.4 cards are needed.

LEGENDARY CARDS

Adding new ultimate cards is awesome, but being able to level them up will lead to nasty consequences.
    Really, some cards can be so OP that they will kill the game: some heroes will become utterly powerful, forcing everyone to use one of them in order to win. Let's face it: would you pick a useless hero or an utterly strong one which will obliterate all enemies? Casual matches also allow both squads to get the same hero, which will double the general pain.

The only solution here is to simply have Legendary cards with a single level.
    Any suggestion here is welcome, I couldn't think any other acceptable scenario.

CASUAL / RANKED MATCHES

Honestly, I have not entirely understood what will change in casual matches, the best thing here for me would be having 2 modes: Casual (Locked) where all cards are set at lv.2 - despite you may have all at lv.5.
    This will help new players to get an understanding of how the game works.
    The other mode is Casual (Unlocked) where players use their cards with the levels you have unlocked.

And this works for Ranked matches too, where there are no level-capped cards.

CARD BALANCE

This is the only aspect which I can't really work with: you Hi-Rez have created all the cards and tried to balance them. Especially new Legendary cards, which can cause a real mess in game.
    Here listening to players can produce good results, just don't focus on a single voice or two.

CRYSTALS

Hey, how much long until you resume giving us daily challenges? We have already lost many weekly crystals! No fair

Well, I guess that's all from me.
    Thanks for reading this far. I hope you appreciated my suggestions.
    No forgiveness for reducing weekly crystals from 50 to 35.
    Please reconsider OB64: Hi-Rez, you know what will happen if you release it!

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    I agree with you on almost everything, because i really like this game, is my favorite one, i dont want that this game turns into some kind of pay to get everything fast.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    The current situation is basically this one:

Member Recruit
    Level
    Totally agree

Member Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Are people missing the part where there are literally card chests for each champion that can be purchased with gold or what?

Member Recruit
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flufflings View Post
    Are people missing the part where there are literally card chests for each champion that can be purchased with gold or what?
    In my opinion, i dont think that the champion chests will give you the cards that you need, it can, but you will have to buy a lot of chests, and there are to many champions, so for new players will be hard to get those chests because they have almost no gold, and they need to buy champions too

Member Knight
    Level
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by xlafex View Post
    In my opinion, i dont think that the champion chests will give you the cards that you need, it can, but you will have to buy a lot of chests, and there are to many champions, so for new players will be hard to get those chests because they have almost no gold, and they need to buy champions too
    That's the thing, if what I heard was right, if essences will be converted to gold and stuff, old players have less reason to have this as a problem. They could probably get everything they want for their mains if that's the case, considering that if you have a lot of cards, you start at level 3. It's the newer players that will get hurt the most.

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger Second Class
    They added it to the PTS to test. The part they hoped you'd miss is the fact that they had to choose a currency to code it in with. They put it in with Crystals. Admittedly, for testing they chose 1 crystal, but the fact that they coded it in ready for Crystals is something I find disconcerting. If we consent, "As long as you can get character chests, it's fine" then they put in character chests for 50 crystals and we are screwed. In either case, adding in Character chests won't resolve the fact that the game will be DESIGNED to be imbalanced in casual. Never compromise balance!

That's the thing, if what I heard was right, if essences will be converted to gold and stuff, old players have less reason to have this as a problem. They could probably get everything they want for their mains if that's the case, considering that if you have a lot of cards, you start at level 3. It's the newer players that will get hurt the most.
    Essence will be converted 1:1 to gold. Do the math in the current system. Essence is NOT a 1:1 gold ratio. It was designed to SLOW down the grind from just using gold to buy cards. That was it's actual purpose in design. When you get a duplicate card from a chest you spent 2500 gold on, you get 200-1200 (common to legendary) essence (I believe). On average, you are getting 600-800 on a 2500 gold chest you got all duplicates on. These are not the same currency and we are losing out with this conversion, but HiRez hopes you won't notice that either.

Member Knight
    Level
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcie View Post
    They added it to the PTS to test. The part they hoped you'd miss is the fact that they had to choose a currency to code it in with. They put it in with Crystals. Admittedly, for testing they chose 1 crystal, but the fact that they coded it in ready for Crystals is something I find disconcerting. If we consent, "As long as you can get character chests, it's fine" then they put in character chests for 50 crystals and we are screwed. In either case, adding in Character chests won't resolve the fact that the game will be DESIGNED to be imbalanced in casual. Never compromise balance!

Essence will be converted 1:1 to gold. Do the math in the current system. Essence is NOT a 1:1 gold ratio. It was designed to SLOW down the grind from just using gold to buy cards. That was it's actual purpose in design. When you get a duplicate card from a chest you spent 2500 gold on, you get 200-1200 (common to legendary) essence (I believe). On average, you are getting 600-800 on a 2500 gold chest you got all duplicates on. These are not the same currency and we are losing out with this conversion, but HiRez hopes you won't notice that either.
    So you're telling me that the Card Chests and Radiant Chests are the same? From the way they made it sound, Card Chests are only for that champion that you picked, so you won't got cards for other heroes. Or was I wrong?
    Last edited by Flufflings; 12-08-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Level
    Achievements:
    So you're telling me that the Card Chests and Radiant Chests are the same? From the way they made it sound, Card Chests are only for that champion that you picked, so you won't got cards for other heroes. Or was I wrong?
    Hero chests give you cards of that hero, the problem is HOW you obtain them. Crystals, gold, victories, what? Asking for crystals is just greedy - and it seems it is the way Hi-Rez will follow.

And, to answer to your question, I was aware of those chests but whenever I got them, I found only common and uncommon cards. No rare or Legendary ones. I don't know how to judge them, because they seem to be = Radiant Chests but with loot limited to that hero.
    If so, the odds to find good cards are very low.