Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to properly fix Evie.

Member Sovereign Prince Eloxist's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points

How to properly fix Evie.

Evie has been on decline for the past few updates. Being butchered and stripped of her mobility it is no surprise she currently is becoming one of the least picked Flanks, the one with most deaths and least kills/eliminations.

This can be the result of several things: Her being over-nerfed, the constant lowering of TTK, new characters being added, other characters being buffed, most of her skills being bugged, etc.

I won’t be covering what Evie is meant to do in this thread, only how I think she should be buffed before Hi-rez gives her more health, DPS and lowers her mobility even more. Because I firmly believe that if these buffs somehow make it to live (which I sadly doubt… but hey we can hope) she would be a very solid pick but will be far from being overpowered while still maintaining her charm, uniqueness as Evie: The character that a lot of people love but even more hate to fight against.

Also note: This is assuming all of Evie’s bugs have been fixed and she is working as intended.

Anything written in red are things added later as results of the discussion.

General stats

Movement speed

• Increased from 365 to 385.

It has always bothered me on how Evie is one of the slowest flanks in the game. To put it in comparison, Andro and Bomb king have 380 movement speed, Barik has 360 (only 5 below Evie) Freaking Buck has 385.

Say what? Evie is a tiny squishy target, how is she slower that all of those characters? I think the movement speed buff is more than welcome.

Skills

Ice staff (LMB):

• It’s now accurate in midair.
    • Minimum damage on explosion radius increased from 140 to 630. (350 if 630 is too much)

Evie’s staff being accurate in midair is something that has been long overdue. Really, a character that is meant to spend 90% of her time jumping around and flying should not suffer from inaccuracy when she is doing the things that she is meant to do.

As for the change to splash radius, I think this is also very necessary. Having a hard time fighting an Evie? Jump!~ Congratulations, you are making it 10 times harder for the Evie to kill you!

Let’s compare Evie to 2 other popular blasters, Bomb king and Drogoz. Not only is their explosion radius bigger that Evie’s but they do much more damage and suffer from less damage fall-off if they explosion hits a target but not the projectile itself. Not to mention that they have CC and other ways of causing damage but Evie only has her staff.

There has been many times where I’m playing, the enemy moves a tiny bit to the right, just enough for the direct hit to miss and bam. It does an amazing 140 damage. Evie’s explosion radius is not that big, so making it do 630 damage, you will still have to land direct shots to get that hefty 930 damage, but if you are a bit off or your enemy simply starts jumping like crazy you will still remove a good amount of their health.

Blink:

• Distance increased from 50 units to 70

Blink’s default distance is pathetic. To put it in comparison, it goes as far as Maeve’s pounce and that skill does damage, Terminus F actually covers that distance horizontally (only horizontally), Ruckus default advance goes almost as far and he has 2 – 3 with cards to increase the distance.

Needless to say, a buff to its distance welcomed.

Iceblock:

• Now instantly heals Evie for 500 (400) health when entering Iceblock. (Probably reduce the healing or remove it to avoid a "Panic button")
    • Evie is now able to blink out of Iceblock for the first 1.5 seconds of being in iceblock.
    • Cooldown increased from 14 seconds to 15 seconds
    • Generates a frigid field that slows and damages enemies for 100 health per second.

These changes have one purpose and one purpose only: Make Iceblock not a death trap for Evie.

Seriously, this skill kills you more than it saves you and that is stupid considering it’s a DEFENSE skill.

People can just duct tape M1 when you are in iceblock and ¾ times you will die from that. Not to mention that they can set traps, time your exit properly and kill you, etc.

It’s not good however, with those changes I think it can actually make it a very good move to avoid death.

The health is there to simply aid Evie when in need, 500 health is not much but not too little, it can make a difference.

As for the “Blink out of iceblock” change, that subject has been very controversial. Some people want it, others do not. I think I found the middle ground.

If Evie used Iceblock to avoid death, CC, or something nasty, she can blink out of it smoothly if she reacts quickly enough, but if she wants to stall, screws up and doesn’t have blink off cooldown then she will be able to get killed once she exits it. I think that sounds fair. Especially since she can only use blink to get out, not Soar.

Ice storm (Ultimate)

Reworked

• Now Evie throws a snowball that causes a giant Frigid explosion that deals 700 damage, slows and cripples anyone caught in it for 5 seconds (minimum time 2 seconds) Maybe remove the throwing part so it doesn't become a generic move.

Man, this ult is terrible. It sometimes can be good, but most of the time it puts you on an uncomfortable spot.

The combination of: It having a casting time, spawning around an 1800 health target, people being able to walk out if it and sometimes not even noticing it to begin with, just make it a bad skill. I usually kill a support with it, or try to aid a point fight but god I wish it was better.
    I think the rework is more than reasonable; all of the other flanks have ults that give them really good burst or are consistently annoying. So giving Evie a good ult that could aid a fight or be used to confirm a kill is a fine change.

That’s it for skills (Yeah, I think Soar is fine as it is) so let’s move on to her cards.

Legendary cards

Reprieve:

• Reduced healing per second from 300 to 200.
    • 25% damage reduction for 2 seconds after exiting Iceblock

This should explain itself, she gets 500 health insantly, giving her another 900 would be dumb, a 1100 health in total should be alright.

Since Reprieve is really underwhelming I've seen some people suggest a damage reduction after it ends, I think this can is a solid idea to make the legendary better

Wormhole:

• Refunds blink if not if it’s not used to blink back.

Blink’s mayor function is to get from point A to point B, if you are using Wormhole doing that puts blink on a 8 second cooldown, that is horrid. This would make the legendary card even smoother.

Over the moon:

• Added: 3 second reduction to Soar.
    • Bonus damage increased from 20% to 30%

I think Over the moon is a good card but it’s inconsistent. The cooldown reduction will make you have Soar more often and that would make it more fun to play with, not to mention efficient.

Cards

Chilled: Grants 5%/10%/15%/20% bonus damage for 2 seconds after blinking. (Questionable: A card should not give bonus daamge and should Evie have her blink damage back in any way?

Blink bonus damage has been something that people have discussed for a while, it was a core part of Evie’s kit but some people say it was just free damage, which it was.

Now both sides are correct, so I opted for the middle ground again. So why not make it a normal card? You will have to spend 4 points to get the bonus damage, which leaves less room to play with, but you can also go with or without it, I think this is better that making it just part of her default kit. Plus no one used the bonus reload, what a dumb card.

Swift witch: Increase Soar flight speed by 7&/14%/21%/28%

A slight buff, I think it is needed since Soar speed got nerfed.

Keep moving: Increase your movement speed by 5%/10%/15%/20%

Not sure why you would want to increase your speed when you are out of combat specifically, too many wasted points, this change would just make it overall better.

And that’s about it. Remember this is posted here to Discuss, remember keep it smart and reasonable “EVIE IS 2 OP DUN VUFF HER” is not a proper argument, if you think something would be too strong I’d be more than welcomed to hear your reasoning.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that she should get EVERYTHING in this list. Just a combination of the things suggested.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Eloxist; 10-31-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Thank you for killing my favorite character and the game.
    No reason to play anymore.
    Good to know you want your game to be an E-sport but balance for Bronze players.

Some stuff that might help!
    The ultimate Evie guide!
    Haven and Blast shields damage reduction charts
    List of Evie's current bugs
    How to properly fix Evie. Join the discussion!

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Ice staff (LMB):

It’s now accurate in midair.
    Minimum damage on explosion radius increased from 140 to 630.
    This seems like an overkill to me. You will pratically turn her into an airbomber.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezAlyssa's Personal Power Ranger.

Booster Moderator
    “OB63 introduces a new type of Moderator that acts as a Ban Booster, not only for you, but also your entire mod team! These unique Legendary ban skins are available for every champion and include custom ban and banhammer animation.”

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallachia View Post
    This seems like an overkill to me. You will pratically turn her into an airbomber.
    Hmm, yeah I was fearing that. Especially since those two blasters have do like 250 at the lowest. I think lowering that damage to 300 - 400 or so should be enough.
    Good to know you want your game to be an E-sport but balance for Bronze players.

The ultimate Evie guide!

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloxist View Post
    Hmm, yeah I was fearing that. Especially since those two blasters have do like 250 at the lowest. I think lowering that damage to 300 - 400 or so should be enough.
    How about keep her inaccuracy and minimum damage but increase projectile speed if she's airborne? That will enable her to be more of a hit and run character without making her too overpower, it will strenghten her in a way not to make her off balance.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezAlyssa's Personal Power Ranger.

Booster Moderator
    “OB63 introduces a new type of Moderator that acts as a Ban Booster, not only for you, but also your entire mod team! These unique Legendary ban skins are available for every champion and include custom ban and banhammer animation.”

Level
    Achievements:
    How about keep her inaccuracy and minimum damage but increase projectile speed if she's airborne? That will enable her to be more of a hit and run character without making her too overpower, it will strenghten her in a way not to make her off balance.
    That is a very interesting take on it. I think something like that could work, I think it being accurate would be neccesary though, but the 140 minimal damage could stay.

The ultimate Evie guide!

Member Count
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class 3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloxist View Post
    Evie has been on decline for the past few updates. Being butchered and stripped of her mobility it is no surprise she currently is becoming one of the least picked Flanks, the one with most deaths and least kills/eliminations.

This can be the result of several things: Her being over-nerfed, the constant lowering of TTK, new characters being added, other characters being buffed, most of her skills being bugged, etc.
    I won’t be covering what Evie is meant to do in this thread, only how I think she should be buffed before Hi-rez gives her more health, DPS and lowers her mobility even more. Because I firmly believe that if these buffs somehow make it to live (which I sadly doubt… but hey we can hope) she would be a very solid pick but will be far from being overpowered while still maintaining her charm, uniqueness as Evie: The character that a lot of people love but even more hate to fight against.

Also note: This is assuming all of Evie’s bugs have been fixed and she is working as intended.

That alone would be a decent buff.

General stats

Movement speed

• Increased from 365 to 385.

It has always bothered me on how Evie is one of the slowest flanks in the game. To put it in comparison, Andro and Bomb king have 380 movement speed, Barik has 360 (only 5 below Evie) Freaking Buck has 385.

Say what? Evie is a tiny squishy target, how is she slower that all of those characters? I think the movement speed buff is more than welcome.

You're looking at specific parts of her and comparing them to specific parts of others.

Skills

Ice staff (LMB):

• It’s now accurate in midair.

^ I'd ask for this above all else.

• Minimum damage on explosion radius increased from 140 to 630. (350 if 630 is too much)

This is really unnecessary. Her projectiles are large and she's very mobile. If you can't land your shots, get closer.

Evie’s staff being accurate in midair is something that has been long overdue. Really, a character that is meant to spend 90% of her time jumping around and flying should not suffer from inaccuracy when she is doing the things that she is meant to do.

As for the change to splash radius, I think this is also very necessary. Having a hard time fighting an Evie? Jump!~ Congratulations, you are making it 10 times harder for the Evie to kill you!

Let’s compare Evie to 2 other popular blasters, Bomb king and Drogoz. Not only is their explosion radius bigger that Evie’s but they do much more damage and suffer from less damage fall-off if they explosion hits a target but not the projectile itself. Not to mention that they have CC and other ways of causing damage but Evie only has her staff.

Evie's advantage is her superior ability to close the gap.

There has been many times where I’m playing, the enemy moves a tiny bit to the right, just enough for the direct hit to miss and bam. It does an amazing 140 damage. Evie’s explosion radius is not that big, so making it do 630 damage, you will still have to land direct shots to get that hefty 930 damage, but if you are a bit off or your enemy simply starts jumping like crazy you will still remove a good amount of their health.

Blink:

• Distance increased from 50 units to 70

Blink’s default distance is pathetic. To put it in comparison, it goes as far as Maeve’s pounce and that skill does damage, Terminus F actually covers that distance horizontally (only horizontally), Ruckus default advance goes almost as far and he has 2 – 3 with cards to increase the distance.

Needless to say, a buff to its distance welcomed.

Iceblock:

• Now instantly heals Evie for 500 health when entering Iceblock.
    • Evie is now able to blink out of Iceblock for the first 1.5 seconds of being in iceblock.
    • Cooldown increased from 14 seconds to 15 seconds

These changes have one purpose and one purpose only: Make Iceblock not a death trap for Evie.

Seriously, this skill kills you more than it saves you and that is stupid considering it’s a DEFENSE skill.

People can just duct tape M1 when you are in iceblock and ¾ times you will die from that. Not to mention that they can set traps, time your exit properly and kill you, etc.

It’s not good however, with those changes I think it can actually make it a very good move to avoid death.

The health is there to simply aid Evie when in need, 500 health is not much but not too little, it can make a difference.

As for the “Blink out of iceblock” change, that subject has been very controversial. Some people want it, others do not. I think I found the middle ground.

If Evie used Iceblock to avoid death, CC, or something nasty, she can blink out of it smoothly if she reacts quickly enough, but if she wants to stall, screws up and doesn’t have blink off cooldown then she will be able to get killed once she exits it. I think that sounds fair. Especially since she can only use blink to get out, not Soar.

Reprieve and Frigid Field are options. Ice Block doesn't need to be a panic button by default. It has its uses.

Ice storm (Ultimate)

Reworked

• Now Evie throws a snowball that causes a giant Frigid explosion that deals 700 damage, slows and cripples anyone caught in it for 5 seconds (minimum time 2 seconds)

Man, this ult is terrible. It sometimes can be good, but most of the time it puts you on an uncomfortable spot.

The combination of: It having a casting time, spawning around an 1800 health target, people being able to walk out if it and sometimes not even noticing it to begin with, just make it a bad skill. I usually kill a support with it, or try to aid a point fight but god I wish it was better.
    I think the rework is more than reasonable; all of the other flanks have ults that give them really good burst or are consistently annoying. So giving Evie a good ult that could aid a fight or be used to confirm a kill is a fine change.

That’s it for skills (Yeah, I think Soar is fine as it is) so let’s move on to her cards.

Legendary cards

Reprieve:

• Reduced healing per second from 300 to 200.

This should explain itself, she gets 500 health insantly, giving her another 900 would be dumb, a 1100 health in total should be alright.

Wormhole:

• Refunds blink if not if it’s not used to blink back.

Blink’s mayor function is to get from point A to point B, if you are using Wormhole doing that puts blink on a 8 second cooldown, that is horrid. This would make the legendary card even smoother.

I'd really need to see this play out in-game. Safer alternative would be to reduce return availability to 2s.

Over the moon:

• Added: 3 second reduction to Soar.
    • Bonus damage increased from 20% to 30%

I think Over the moon is a good card but it’s inconsistent. The cooldown reduction will make you have Soar more often and that would make it more fun to play with, not to mention efficient.

Why the damage increase?

Cards

Chilled: Grants 5%/10%/15%/20% bonus damage for 2 seconds after blinking.

Blink bonus damage has been something that people have discussed for a while, it was a core part of Evie’s kit but some people say it was just free damage, which it was.

Now both sides are correct, so I opted for the middle ground again. So why not make it a normal card? You will have to spend 4 points to get the bonus damage, which leaves less room to play with, but you can also go with or without it, I think this is better that making it just part of her default kit. Plus no one used the bonus reload, what a dumb card.

No regular card may directly increase damage. Decimate comes close.

Swift witch: Increase Soar flight speed by 7&/14%/21%/28%

A slight buff, I think it is needed since Soar speed got nerfed.

Keep moving: Increase your movement speed by 5%/10%/15%/20%

Not sure why you would want to increase your speed when you are out of combat specifically, too many wasted points, this change would just make it overall better.

And that’s about it. Remember this is posted here to Discuss, remember keep it smart and reasonable “EVIE IS 2 OP DUN VUFF HER” is not a proper argument, if you think something would be too strong I’d be more than welcomed to hear your reasoning.

Cheers!
    All of these buffs combined would leave her overpowered. It's a fine line; I can't say what would be perfectly balanced. I don't think any of us can. Still, it's in the right direction. I'm glad you posted this.

The requirement would have to be that she's truly airborne and not just jumping. Imagine that...

The inaccuracy should still be removed. It adds unnecessary randomness. This is something I've never understood. If you want something to be less effective at range, why not just give it damage falloff or slow its travel speed? I understand how it works visually. If you're jumping and shooting, you'd expect inaccuracy. But gameplay-wise, competitively, that element of randomness does not belong.
    Last edited by Nexecute; 10-30-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    Broken Bars, any of you out there?

yo holt tease me some bug fixes

Androxus | Evie | Strix

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexecute View Post
    You're looking at specific parts of her and comparing them to specific parts of others.
    Indeed I am, however I think that movement speed is an important aspect for all classes, I still find it silly that Evie is slower than a lot of characters, that speed makes a difference.

This is really unnecessary. Her projectiles are large and she's very mobile. If you can't land your shots, get closer.
    After thinking about it a lot, I agree, if she gets her blink distance increased and is able to get close then get out the current damage fall-off would not be a problem, maybe still increase it a tad but it is unnecessary like you said.

Evie's advantage is her superior ability to close the gap.
    Kinda the same thing I wrotte above, her mobility as seen a hit and it makes a big difference, if she it won't be needed as said.

Reprieve and Frigid Field are options. Ice Block doesn't need to be a panic button by default. It has its uses.
    Not saying it does not have uses, it just gets you killed more often than not. I don't exactly want it to be a "Panic button" just to serve its purpose and save her from death (especially with how so many characters can kill her in less than 2 seconds), if it's used as a panic button then she might get screwed. If it ends up being too insane, maybe reduce or remove the healing but I'd still keep the blink escape for 1.5 seconds option.

Why the damage increase?
    Overall, Wormhole is way better than OtM, it's more consistent, easier to use and has more situations.

Not saying that OtM is bad, I've excelled with it but if blink distance gets buffed and Wormhole gets that change OtM would need something to stay afloat so increasing the reward for landing a shot and even just increasing the odds of getting a kill should be alright. Again, just my opinion.

No regular card may directly increase damage. Decimate comes close.
    Fair enough. I am still debating if she should get blink bonus damage back in any way or nah.

All of these buffs combined would leave her overpowered. It's a fine line; I can't say what would be perfectly balanced. I don't think any of us can. Still, it's in the right direction. I'm glad you posted this.
    Thank you very much! I have to say your feedback was amazing and indeed, I never intended for my suggestions to be set on stone because perfect balance is not possible, maybe if most of these changes go trough she would be viable in high level play but too OP on low level ones. Thats why I want people to discuss and voice what they think of the subject.

Again, thanks for the amazing feedback.
    Last edited by Eloxist; 10-30-2017 at 11:18 AM.

The ultimate Evie guide!

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 4 Forum Tier 3 Overdrive 50000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    The inaccuracy should still be removed. It adds unnecessary randomness. This is something I've never understood. If you want something to be less effective at range, why not just give it damage falloff or slow its travel speed? I understand how it works visually. If you're jumping and shooting, you'd expect inaccuracy. But gameplay-wise, competitively, that element of randomness does not belong.
    Holy truth. It makes no sense having the inaccuracy. The devs should look out for little details like that.
    Got deckbuilding anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcinekMLG420 View Post
    That sick what hirez done

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered 500 Experience Points Forum Tier 2
    Evie was always character for very skilled players. Evie mains with those changes will be just monsters(despite they already are). How many games on evie and which level you have that you are proposing so many changes to buff her? She is already top 2/3 flankers in game. I don't get it why buff her. Maybe only remove inaccuracy in midair but even this is bad idea and will allow her to get kills so much easier than she already does.

There is Andro on first spot, and then meave and evie, i would argue which is better. Then Buck and then all the rest basically.
    Last edited by JuriPL; 10-30-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by JuriPL View Post
    Evie was always character for very skilled players. Evie mains with those changes will be just monsters(despite they already are). How many games on evie and which level you have that you are proposing so many changes to buff her? She is already top 2/3 flankers in game. I don't get it why buff her. Maybe only remove inaccuracy in midair but even this is bad idea and will allow her to get kills so much easier than she already does.

There is Andro on first spot, and then meave and evie, i would argue which is better. Then Buck and then all the rest basically.
    I am a level 15 Evie with over 180 games as her with 1,703 kills 1,243 deaths and 1094 assists. I play a lot of characters but she is my most played one. I also started playing a just few months ago.

She is right now one of the worse flanks. She rarely gets picked and her stats on the better meta back that up, not to mention that Andro is considered the best flank due to his insane TTK. And all of the others ones are raising.

https://www.thebettermeta.com/charts...n_performance/

Look at her popularity, it has drop to a measly 19% The second lowest of all flanks, her number of kills is also the worst/second to worst one and she has the highest amount of deaths among flanks. That has multiple reasons, she has been nerfed to hell and back, I managed to ask a question to one of the best Evie player UBERSPAYDY. He said that she needed a buff on her blink range if anything.

Also I'm not suggesting that ALL of these changes to trough as they are. Thats why I made this discussion so she is actually not frustrating to play with but isn't downright busted.
    Last edited by Eloxist; 10-30-2017 at 02:58 PM.

The ultimate Evie guide!