Thread: Alchemist's guide to being a supportive Rogue Alchemist.

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered 5000 Experience Points

Alchemist's guide to being a supportive Rogue Alchemist.

This is a guide on how to play Pip if you're being the solo support for the team. Yes, this can be done for him if you know how the character works, and I'm here to help you achieve this goal

I've got over 100 hours of playtime with Pip, and the amount of playtime I have on him outdoes the rest of the characters I play by a long-shot.

So, let's start with the basics:
    Abilities
    All of these are going off of the original key binds. Buttons may vary.

Potion launcher (LMB): Fire an explosive potion that deals 600 damage every 1 second
    Simple enough; the projectile shot from Pip's gun is a lobbed projectile with a speed of 300,
    so it's about medium speed. Deals splash damage in a rather small area; you can damage yourself with this.

Weightless (F): For 2.5 seconds you gain a higher jump height, jump speed, and can also shoot whilst weightless. (Cooldown of 10 seconds)
    This ability has a multitude of uses. You can use this to get closer to someone who's in need of healing, to flee from those flanking, to get to the objective if you get dismounted, to chase the enemy,
    etc. You can also cancel this ability by pressing F again. While weightless, you cannot use your ultimate,
    healing potion, or explosive flask. It feels like it lasts 3 seconds to me, but whatever

Healing Potion (Q): Toss a potion that heals allies for 1,200 (Cooldown of 8 seconds)
    A rather crappy AoE burst heal; if you don't buff it with cards (I'll cover that later on).
    This potion can be detonated by pressing Q again! This is something I cannot stress enough as I encounter a lot of players who don't know this, I learned this when I was level 12 with Pip, and I would like everyone who plays him to know this; it makes his healing capabilities more robust

Explosive Flask (RMB): Fire an explosive flask that deals 150 damage and slows enemies by 50% for 2.5 seconds.
    Great little bit of CC here. Much like his regular explosive potions in the way it functions;
    a bit slower with less of a lob. Has a very large area of effect, doesn't inflict self damage. This is a great ability to combine with your ult, another person's ult, or to hit someone who is trying to flee to make it easier for your teammates to give chase.

Evil Mojo (E) : Throw a flask that deals 200 damage and turns enemies into chickens with 1500 health for 4 seconds. All enemies are put back to their regular state afterwards.
    Let me tell you this; that description lies. It gets fired out of the gun. Moving on, this ult,
    if you're by yourself, is lack-luster. Sure, you may be able to take out one or two enemies with it,
    but that's about it. To see true potential, try and pair this with other ults. Such as an Inara ult,
    Bomb King ult, or even a Viktor ult for a few examples. If none of them are present, make sure you can slow them with your Explosive Flask, and you may want to make sure you're fully loaded on ammo, and have Weightless off cooldown, especially if you have to ult alone. Don't be too afraid to use this;
    it recharges rather fast, if you're playing well, and can almost be used as a utility.

This is Pip's kit of abilities. Everything following the abilities is just my thoughts on them, and some advice with the ways I tend to use it. You don't have to follow it, let alone agree with it. I also want to include here that he has 2,500 HP.

Legendary Cards

Mega Potion: Healing potion heals allies for twice as much
    This is going to be the legendary card you'll want to use if you're planning on playing him with support in mind. It'll make it easier to keep your teammates healed up whilst still being better than the basic healing even when the enemy team has caut 1.

Catalyst: Enemies hit by explosive flask are marked for 3 seconds and take 40% more damage from your weapon shots
    This is the one you pick when you follow the bad stereotype that Pip has of being a flanker instead of a support. In all seriousness though, this isn't going to be the legendary you pick up if you want to keep your team alive; you're only going to be picking this up if someone decides to pick another support last second and is only good at using the healing ability, or when someone promptly picks another support after you.

Acrobatics: Weightless removes CC and makes you immune to its effects.
    Well, to be completely honest, this legendary is pretty much trash now. It all honesty,
    it really doesn't help you too much to begin with, considering the most likely CC effect you're going to want to get rid of, is a stun on him, or knockback. But even then, if you're playing him as a support,
    you'll most likely be away from most knockback effects.

In addition to the legendary cards:

Loadout Creation

We'll start off going over the cards (Common, Rare, Epic)

Weapon/Armor

Acrobat's Trick I: Reload 5% faster
    Sturdy I: Your weapon no longer knocks you back and deal 25% less self damage.
    Shrewd Move I: Eliminations reduce all active cooldowns by 5%
    Moxie I: Receive 5% increased healing when below 50% Health.

Healing Potion

Gift Giver I: You gain 30% of Healing Potion's effect if you hit a teammate but not yourself.
    Medicinal Excellence I: Increase the radius of your Healing Potion by 10%
    Pep in the Step I: Allies hit by Healing Potion gain 10% movement speed for 1.5s.
    Reload I: Instantly reduce Healing Potion's Cooldown by .5s for each ally hit. (Internal Cooldown of 5 seconds)

Weightless

From Above I: Reduces the Cooldown of Weightless by 1s.
    Refreshing Jog I: Regenerate 50 Health every second while in Weightless.
    Sprint I: Gain an additional 10% bonus Jump Speed during Weightless.
    Escape Artist I: Gain 12.5% Damage Reduction during Weightless, but attacking cancels Weightless

Explosive Flask

Acumen I: Gain 10% Lifesteal against enemies slowed by Explosive Flask.
    Graviton I: Increase the duration of Explosive Flask's slow by .25s.
    Side Tanks I: Reduce the Cooldown of Explosive Flask by .5s.
    Smithereens I: Generate 1 ammo when Explosive Flask hits an enemy.

I most likely didn't need to put all of these here, but I thought I would anyways, and organize it too.

If you're going for a support build, there are two cards you're going to want, at least at level two. As I stated earlier, the healing potion is pretty bad alone. So you're going to at least want to increase the size by 20% with Medicinal Excellence II; I prefer increasing the size by 40%. The other card you're going to want is Reload II. This will make the healing potion's cooldown at least 7 seconds instead of 8 if you hit one person. Combine this with Chronos and a grouped up team, and you'll have it back rather fast. The rest, you can, in all honesty, fill it in how you choose. My loadout is Medicinal Excellence IV, Reload III, Gift Giver III, Sturdy I, From above I. Go ahead and give it a try.

Now, if you're thinking, "I don't need a loadout, I'll just use the default one!" Do me a favor. Don't use that one. It has two good parts about it, and that's about it.

Some cards that you'll want to avoid however, is Pep in the Step, Escape Artist, and most of the weapon/armor cards.

Onto purchasable cards; the most likely ones you'll end up buying in your average match are Chronos and Cauterize. These two will allow you to be as effective as possible; reducing your cooldowns on your healing to enable you to heal more, as well as using weightless more and more. Cauterize is well, cauterize. Disable your foe's healing! They can't be healed as much if they're under it, if they can't be healed as much that means they have a shorter lifetime in a point fight, if they have a short lifetime in a team fight/point fight, that means less of an amount of time they can inflict cauterize on your teammates, which means more healing! The rest of the cards, if you need to buy them, really depends on what the other team has

Playstyle

As Pip, it's usually a good idea to stay in the backline, but not too far back. You will want to position yourself so you can easily see all of your teammates, and most of your enemies. Remember: If an ally is not in one of your sight-lines, you cannot heal them! This however, doesn't always apply. What I mean by this, is that if your aim is good enough, you'll be able to heal them even if they aren't in the greatest of openings.

While you're not healing though, make sure to be dishing out some damage to aid your team.
    You can help by dealing damage to the frontliners, or you can aim for the enemy support, or even aim for their damages. It's always a good idea to position yourself up high, and when that's not possible,
    put yourself behind a choke-point. You want to make it as difficult as possible for you to be targeted,
    and this is a good start. It's always a good idea to have some escape routes planned for yourself, just in case you get flanked, or overwhelmed. This is where weightles usually comes into being rather useful.

However, if your team is being overwhelmed, but you think you can re-stabilize on point, feel free to use your ult, give your team that last little bit of 'Oomph' they need to be able to quickly clear out the point. Pip mainly focuses on CC, and being a bit of a back line damager, albeit, if you're playing him as a support. You also don't want to be selfish with your heals; make sure you're doing your best to evenly distribute them among your teammates and yourself (This is why Gift Giver is nice). One last little piece of advice, is to always aim your potion slightly above your teammates. The reason to this, is that this will make sure that it most likely won't be destroyed by an object blocking it entirely, or any possible shields that may get in the way.

ONE LAST THING

As of when this was posted, Pip has a bug with his healing potion that makes it sometimes completely useless. The issues of it vary from never going off of cooldown, to just not healing in general.

This is all I can give, and I hope you found anything on this helpful. I like to think of myself as a really good Pip player (even though I'm most likely not) and I wanted to create a guide on how I play him, as most people tend to think I'm joking whenever I go and play him as a support. If you have any suggestions on what I can add onto this to make it better, please tell me!

Now if only there was a voice pack that went with Pip actually healing and what not.
    Last edited by CatManDude; 10-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    Protect your supports please... They want support too!
    Support main/Pip main. Greatest healing: 230,070 | Current goal: 200,000 achieved! Take a look at it! Woohoo!

Just a silly idea

Support Pip guide here!

Fix the Pip bugs! There are 37 of them, so can we fix them please?

Join this!

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points Tagger First Class Overdrive
    Nice guide!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallachihuahua
    OPPRESSION!

Ultimate Gay Diva of the Paladins Forums Discord.

NOTE: Haven't been keeping up with the recent game changes, excuse a mistake here and there

New? Got a question to ask or something you want to tell me? (Can be related to anything)
    Drop me a PM. They're what I focus on reading when I log in, so it's the best way to contact me on the forums (discord is still the best).

Level
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Borvik View Post
    Nice guide!
    Yeah... But I'm pretty sure this may be considered necro'd now.
    Support main/Pip main. Greatest healing: 230,070 | Current goal: 200,000 achieved! Take a look at it! Woohoo!

Just a silly idea

Support Pip guide here!

Join this!

Banned Sovereign Prince xPurplexx's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    It's actually a pretty good guide. Didn't even know you could actually detonate the Healing Pot mid-air. Might help me hit more of them, so I can actually get above 130k healing with him maybe. Might adjust my loadout a little bit after seeing this, because I have one card in it that you say is trash :P

Member Sovereign Prince Eloxist's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDude View Post
    Yeah... But I'm pretty sure this may be considered necro'd now.
    Don't think that there should be a problem with it.

Also, very nice guide! Will you update it with the rework of acrobatics and the buff to weightless?
    Thank you for killing my favorite character and the game.
    No reason to play anymore.
    Good to know you want your game to be an E-sport but balance for Bronze players.

Some stuff that might help!
    The ultimate Evie guide!
    Haven and Blast shields damage reduction charts
    List of Evie's current bugs
    How to properly fix Evie. Join the discussion!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloxist View Post
    Don't think that there should be a problem with it.

Also, very nice guide! Will you update it with the rework of acrobatics and the buff to weightless?
    Possibly, but after I can fully adjust myself to the change so I can give proper advice for it; I personally think weightless is too short to be able to fully utilize this, and I find myself just canceling it still.

Just a silly idea

Support Pip guide here!

Join this!

Member Sovereign Prince AliceWest's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 Overdrive 3 months registered Tagger Second Class
    I didn't know healing potion could be detonated. wow. I'm lvl 15 with pip.

Makes me want to play pip after reading this.

I found it very useful. Thanks
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude -Maya Angelou