Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quantum's Ultimate Zhin Guide

Member Sovereign Prince QuantumPlays's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Overdrive 1 year registered 10000 Experience Points

Quantum's Ultimate Zhin Guide

ThousandDegreeGuild.jpg

Introduction

Hello, everyone. I'm Quantum (a filthy Zhin main), here to teach you how to play Zhin the right way! Here, I showcase tips, tricks, loadouts, and everything else you need to know about the Tyrant!

Playstyle

The funny thing about Zhin is that his abilities have multiple uses but Zhin has one real playstyle. Zhin is that backline flanker that is sweeping up kills more than Hi-Rez is trying to sweep Buck and Grohk buffs under the rug. He has short range on his LMB and RMB, so you need to get up close and personal with enemies to deal lethal damage. Best items for Zhin are either Nimble or Chronos for Utility, Cauterize or Wrecker for Offense, Kill to Heal for Healing. I don't usually pick Defense items because all of Zhin's abilities are escape or defensive anyway.

Abilities

Inferno Blade
    Within 2 seconds, Hurl burning oil with two quick swings that deal 450 damage and a heavy swing that deals 700 damage.

• This is the opener and the closer. Get the enemy's attention with the first swing and the next swing to chip them off even further. It's okay to not land your first two shots but you have to land that final slash of 700 damage.
    • Sometimes I even take two dummy swings to load up a heavy swing in case of attack.

Counter
    Enter a counter stance for 2s. If you take an enemy hit to the front of your character you negate any effects of the hit and counter attack with a melee strike dealing 700 damage (7s cooldown).

• This is the reason you probably play Zhin in the first place, especially with Retaliation. In fact, it's barely worth it to use Counter without it, as you can counter multiple attacks.
    • Charge into a fight with Counter and I guarantee there will be one idiot who will not stop shooting at you.

Billow
    Disperse into smoke, become un-targetable and gain +20% movement speed for 2.5s (12s cooldown).

• Literally Grohk's Ghost Walk with an added 1s. Use Billow to escape fights, distract enemies, or stall them with your cooldowns are lowering.

Whirl
    Lunge forward while swinging your blade in a deadly arc dealing 400 damage to nearby enemies (7s cooldown).

• Finisher move to catch up to enemies to get in the final slash or just kill them off entirely.
    • Try to imagine where you're going. If you're going to go up the stairs, aim for the stairs. I can't tell you how many times I've aimed for a place and Whirled against a wall and get myself killed, so plan ahead.

Spite
    Launch forward and incapacitate an enemy with a series of vicious melee attacks dealing 2000 damage over 1.5s.

• Use this ability on low health tanks and supports. Remember, you and the enemy are both vulnerable for the duration, so you (or them) could get killed faster.
    • I can't stress this enough: know who you're aiming for. If everybody's on the objective, wait a second. You want to zero in on the target and catch them without any backup.

Loadouts

Retaliation, Perfect Block IV, Up in Smoke III, Master Stance II, Blade Dance II, Viciousness I

This is my main Counter loadout that everyone hates. It's fun to slap enemies to death with a flaming sword. Use against teams with fast firing Champions.

"Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself!"

Smolder, Fan the Flames IV, Up in Smoke III, Hideout III, Wild Fire I, Kindling I

If Counter isn't your thing than try my fool-proof Billow loadout that'll have you losing enemies faster than Hi-Rez loses Torvald mains after the Gauntlet rework. Use with high-offense teams (high damage, low rate of fire).

Counters & Threats

Counters
    • Champions with no vertical mobility. Zhin is a master at chasing people down.
    • Fast firing Champions. With Retaliation, even the smartest players might accidentally get in one shot to end their lives.
    • Tanks. Zhin can't headshot, but you'd be surprised to see how fast Zhin can zone and shred down a front line.

Threats
    • DROGOZ (or any high DPS AOE Champions). The rockets are AOE, so good luck countering those. All I can say it try not to get shot on the side. Remember, Counter is only frontal.
    • High-mobility flankers, like Evie and Androxus. They can attack from higher ground, so be aware.
    • Open maps. Zhin is CQB. You wanna get up close with enemies.

TL;DR

Zhin is an excellent close dueling champion. He punishes bad choices with Counter and can quickly escape combat with Billow. Whirl and Spite can finish off low health enemies.

Conclusion

Thanks for reading. Shout out to all of my Zhin mains out there: IvJo, Wallachia, and zarko26.
    Last edited by QuantumPlays; 10-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Join us in The Realm and at /r/PaladinsStrategies!

Front Line: Ash, level 10, Flanknando, level 9
    Support: Seris, levlel 11, Jenos, level 7
    Damage: Lian, level 6
    Flank: Zhin, level 15

Most Objective Time: 398, Ash, 8/25
    Most Healing: 127,155, Jenos, 10/29
    Most Damage: 148,527, Fernando 8/27
    Most Killing Blows: 27, Zhin, 8/25

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 4 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Community Award
    You said Zhin has one playstyle then gave us two loadouts to use at the end, a little bit self-contradictory.

All in all, decent basic guide overall.
    Common abbreviations

OP = Overpowered or Original Poster
    UP = Underpowered
    MM = Matchmaking
    ST = Support Ticket
    OW = Overwatch
    HR/ Hirez/ HiRez/ Hi-Rez/ Hi-rez/ Hi Rez/ Hi rez = HiRez Studios
    TP = Triumph Points
    POTG = Play of the Game
    Dev(s) = Developer(s)
    /s = Sarcasm
    /10char = Ignore it.
    TTK = Time to kill.
    VM = Vertical mobility. (If VM limits a pro's potential, it completely annihilates any chance for a noob, I use this knowledge so I don't cry myself to bed every night :^) )

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Overdrive 1 year registered 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOthell159 View Post
    You said Zhin has one playstyle then gave us two loadouts to use at the end, a little bit self-contradictory.

All in all, decent basic guide overall.
    Both those loadouts are "up-in-your-face," they just revolve around one ability. Any suggestions?

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 4 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumPlays View Post
    Both those loadouts are "up-in-your-face," they just revolve around one ability. Any suggestions?
    Retaliation is "up in your face" but the Smolder legendary is mostly used to retreat, wait for cooldowns, then strike again. An "up in your face" Smolder Zhin is a suicide Zhin. And I, don't mind that
    Common abbreviations

OP = Overpowered or Original Poster
    UP = Underpowered
    MM = Matchmaking
    ST = Support Ticket
    OW = Overwatch
    HR/ Hirez/ HiRez/ Hi-Rez/ Hi-rez/ Hi Rez/ Hi rez = HiRez Studios
    TP = Triumph Points
    POTG = Play of the Game
    Dev(s) = Developer(s)
    /s = Sarcasm
    /10char = Ignore it.
    TTK = Time to kill.
    VM = Vertical mobility. (If VM limits a pro's potential, it completely annihilates any chance for a noob, I use this knowledge so I don't cry myself to bed every night :^) )

Level
    Achievements:
    Bump. Added some more detail and a section called "Counters & Threats." Take a look!

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Tagger Second Class 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I'm trying to find a flank I'm comfortable with, so I'm going to take some of these suggestions and give them a shot. Particularly glad to see the breakdown of who to target and who to be wary of. Much appreciated!
    Last one standing w-... Well, your legs will be tired. So there.
    ----------------------------
    http://paladins.guru/profile/pc/br0d30
    -----------------------------

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodeo View Post
    I'm trying to find a flank I'm comfortable with, so I'm going to take some of these suggestions and give them a shot. Particularly glad to see the breakdown of who to target and who to be wary of. Much appreciated!
    No problem.

Member Duke
    Level
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 10000 Experience Points
    Awesome stuff !!
    Currently at Mastery 23 with Maeve and growing...(Mastery 21 before OB 58)
    #of Blades
    I will always stand by this champion....
    Raeve + Dreamhack <3
    Kill Compilations/ Life in Paladins: YouTube Channel
    My personal Maeve guide
    Also known as 'ProjectEC97'

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by emrahkutuk786 View Post
    Awesome stuff !!
    Thanks!!

/10char

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Ahhhhh I just played Zhin for the first time, and then I read this. Thanks for the tips, but a gameplay video with an explanation of how you're playing would be really nice.

Also, when should you choose the Counter legendary and when should you choose Billow?

And what items does Zhin buy?

And which maps is he good on?
    Looking for friends. Add me on Steam (Blueobelisk) or in game. [NA, PC]

Latest Youtube Video: Stone Rolling People as Inara! And Bitey is our teammate. And we face a fellow forum poster, too (LUL).