Thread: Tickrate graphs between Paladins and Overwatch

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2

Tickrate graphs between Paladins and Overwatch

I downloaded wireshark and recorded the send and receive rates for UDP traffic during a game session in Paladins and Overwatch, respectively. The resulting graphs show the packet send rates on a blue line and the packet receive rates on a red line. Each is known as client's tickrate and the server's tickrate, respectively. The client's tickrate is different from the framerate, the former deals with netcode the latter deals with graphics rendering.

Here is the graph for Paladins:
    https://i.imgur.com/IFlUULf.jpg

In Paladins, the client tickrate was ~72hz and the server tickrate was ~27hz.

Here is the graph for Overwatch:
    https://i.imgur.com/z2AiGK5.jpg

In Overwatch, the client tickrate was ~65hz and the server tickrate was ~65hz. The client tickrate would frequently spike to ~100 and I believe this happened every time I died and respawned in the game.

Edit: I found a video that's old but still supports these results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOO3S1uStXs. The uploader has a good explanation.

Edit 2: Conclusion: Player positions in Overwatch are more accurate than in Paladins. Projectile positions in Paladins are more accurate than in Overwatch. Paladins makes up for low server sending rate by putting huge af hitboxes on everything.
    Last edited by Lugenpresse; 09-13-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Ok sooo um... try to explain this patiently to a noob who has no idea what you're talking about...what's the importance of this?
    Last edited by CrazyLasagna; 09-13-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Oh, did I offend you? Is my opinion in some way conflicting yours? Are you mad at me? Well, guess what?

I DON'T CARE

Steam Account:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/CrazyLasagna/

Best Youtube Video Ever:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Just some shitty asshole on the internet

My favorite Paladins map is Tilted, an Onslaught Test Map. Interesting how that worked out.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 3 months registered 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    So this means that Paladins is faster and Overwatch is faster only during death and respawn?
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezAlyssa's Personal Power Ranger.

Booster Moderator
    “OB63 introduces a new type of Moderator that acts as a Ban Booster, not only for you, but also your entire mod team! These unique Legendary ban skins are available for every champion and include custom ban and banhammer animation.”

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2
    My conclusion from this is that the positions of players in Overwatch will be more accurate than in Paladins because the Overwatch servers are sending twice as many updates to clients than Paladins servers are. But the projectile positions in Paladins will be more accurate than the ones in Overwatch because the Paladins clients are sending more updates to the servers and projectile positions can be entirely calculated.

Basically, it's easier to dodge in Overwatch and harder to aim. In Paladins it's easier to aim and harder to dodge.

I found a video of a guy explaining overwatch vs paladins netcode. It's 1 year old but the send and receive rates are about the same as my experiment. But this guy did a more detailed analysis, I added a link to it.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 4 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Community Award
    I can confirm.

Go to Paladins' directory > ChaosGame > Config > DefaultEngine.ini

Under [Engine. DemoRecDriver] you see NetServerMaxTickRate=27

Your post is real news. Paladins really need a better tickrate, explains why the delay is so bad (ex. Drogoz's salvo) compared to other games even with the same ping.
    Common abbreviations

OP = Overpowered or Original Poster
    UP = Underpowered
    MM = Matchmaking
    ST = Support Ticket
    OW = Overwatch
    HR/ Hirez/ HiRez/ Hi-Rez/ Hi-rez/ Hi Rez/ Hi rez = HiRez Studios
    TP = Triumph Points
    POTG = Play of the Game
    Dev(s) = Developer(s)
    /s = Sarcasm
    /10char = Ignore it.
    TTK = Time to kill.
    VM = Vertical mobility. (If VM limits a pro's potential, it completely annihilates any chance for a noob, I use this knowledge so I don't cry myself to bed every night :^) )

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    We need them A1 Servers.
    "Thank you for reading me."
    - Signature

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class Forum Tier 4 Overdrive 50000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugenpresse View Post
    Basically, it's easier to dodge in Overwatch and harder to aim. In Paladins it's easier to aim and harder to dodge.
    Great. So that's why the lowering in TTK feels much more noticeable as time goes on. And the complete removal of movement legendaries soldifies this.

Member Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 3 months registered Tagger Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugenpresse View Post
    My conclusion from this is that the positions of players in Overwatch will be more accurate than in Paladins because the Overwatch servers are sending twice as many updates to clients than Paladins servers are. But the projectile positions in Paladins will be more accurate than the ones in Overwatch because the Paladins clients are sending more updates to the servers and projectile positions can be entirely calculated.

Well, the server tickrate is not only how often data are send, but how often the game is refreshed on server, so tickrate from client shouldnt make any difference as long as it is not lower? At best this data could be used for rewinding.

Also projectiles in Paladins shouldnt be much of a problem even for tickrate 27, but it is possible to get less hits on fast firing hitscan against diagonally moving player if detection isnt client side.