Thread: A few thoughts on Inara

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester

A few thoughts on Inara

Hey everyone,

I picked up Paladins again fairly recently and I'm really enjoying it. I've had no luck getting my girlfriend to come over from Overwatch with me, but maybe one day.

One of the things I really like about this game is the combat strength of healers and the durability of tanks. Playing these roles feels rewarding.

I've been playing a lot of Inara in casual and I boast a decent winrate: http://paladins.guru/profile/pc/trenchfox

I really like using her to zone, and man can I bully off a point but I have some feedback with the design of her kit that might help her go from a closeted decent pick to a clear choice as a viable tanking option.

1) Her damage drop off range is too restrictive given what it takes to land your attacks at a distance:

Personally I don't see the need for damage drop off with her as she fires a stream of projectiles that must be led and perfectly tracked at a distance. Given her movement speed is lowered while firing and given she is already fairly slow, I think landing these ranged shots should be rewarded with full damage. That might not be consistent with Hi-Rez's design philosophy with the character but at the very least I'd like to see the range at which her attacks do full damage increase significantly. Skillful tracking should be rewarded proportionately.

2) Her ult is great fun to use, but given the amount of cc immunity abilities, and the telegraph time it could be a little more ultimate:

I'll start by saying I don't mind that there is some delay between her ult being announced and it being thrown. This usually feels fair given the stun radius and it requires team work and positioning to pull off effectively.

I generally use her ult out of desperation because getting into the perfect position to initiate is difficult due to her relative immobility. I usually plant my wall underneath me to launch myself airborne and then throw my spear so I have a better vantage point for hitting enemies that are desperately scurrying away. This has a number of drawbacks in that my wall must be immediately canceled to prevent it from blocking my allies from following up on my ultimate and it makes me use my wall in a way that does little to zone or prevent damage. Perhaps part of her ult should be that she is launched skyward upon its activation. Maybe as an animation a stone pillar could spontaneously erupt under her for this purpose and destruct after throwing the spear.

The other consideration is that it would be nice, but maybe not necessary if she was healed for a flat amount upon activating her ult. As I said, I usually throw her ults in desperation, and this means that I often get my voiceline off but not my ult. A little burst of healing would help her complete her ult more reliably and be a nice way to augment her staying power a few times a game. I would like this a lot.

3) This is just a quality of life type thing but it would be nice if she was able to summon warder's field a moderate distance away from herself:

I think the best way to visualize this is to think of Ling's illusions with the 40% range increase card. Right now she just drops it at her location. It would be much more effective as a bullying tool if it could be placed a ways out from her. Nothing too dramatic, but just so if an enemy is several feet in front of me I can place it behind them. Currently I tend to walk past them and plant it to ensure they are in the radius for as long as possible or forced to use their escape ability. Being able to plant it out a short distance would make her much more imposing. I can usually wall them forward if they are backpedaling and plant it at my feet, but because of her long cool-downs it usually leaves you vulnerable as the fight progresses.

Thanks everyone! I hope this feedback is useful!

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Her damage is fine.
    Her ultimate could use a boost maybe give Inara damage immunity during it. Or make the stun last longer.
    I like the way Warder's Field works now.
    Looking for friends. Add me on Steam (Blueobelisk) or in game. [NA, PC]

Latest Youtube Video: Stone Rolling People as Inara! And Bitey is our teammate. And we face a fellow forum poster, too (LUL).

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    I didn't say anything was wrong with her damage. I said her effective range should be increased. Instead of "Damage is fine" it might be more useful to discussion to say why you believe that is.

Damage immunity during her ult would be nice.

Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Overdrive 31 days registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    So would it be for Jenos's ult, and Zhin's and a whole bunch of others.
    Terminus Main.

Loadout:
    HM* II - Devestation I - Despoiler II - Necro Might IV - Wrecking Ball III

*Hulking Monstrosity

Level
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenchfox View Post
    Instead of "Damage is fine" it might be more useful to discussion to say why you believe that is.
    Inara's projectiles fire at a very high speed, and she has five separate hits, so it's easy for her to apply Cauterize. Combine that with her other skills taking basically no time to cast and her having a high survivability standing still, and and a quick reload time, her damage shouldn't be any higher at all. She also shouldn't be able to attack people far away, her whole point is to attack what's near her.

Quote Originally Posted by IvJo View Post
    So would it be for Jenos's ult, and Zhin's and a whole bunch of others.
    Not really. Inara's ult has a huge cast time for a very unsatisfying payoff. BK does the same thing with a way lower cast time and on a 10 second (or whatever) cooldown.

Jenos's ult does 2400 damage. Through walls. Without having to hit the floor or aim at anyone specifically. He has no reason to be immune to anything.

Zhin's ultimate is just as risky as Drogoz. Timing is key for that, but the payoff is a stun on someone (basically) + high damage that probably kills that person. As opposed to Inara doing some retarded stun.
    Looking for friends. Add me on Steam (Blueobelisk) or in game. [NA, PC]

Latest Youtube Video: Stone Rolling People as Inara! And Bitey is our teammate. And we face a fellow forum poster, too (LUL).

Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 Tagger Second Class
    I wouldn't mind less harsh damage falloff, because she really can't move around at all so range would help her slightly.

I personally think her ultimate is great, provided the enemies don't buy resilience. I don't see the need for a buff.

Being able to apply warders field from further away also sounds like a great change, it's not really useful without the legendary.
    "Let me get a nut on your feet at least"

Asking the real questions: Why does Maeve - THE FRENCH CHARACTER - HAVE AN IRISH NAME?!?!?!
    THIS IS THE PRIME EXAMPLE OF "HI-REZ" LOGIC
    MAKE SURE TO CALL THE NEXT ITALIAN CHARACTER HAMISH WHILE YOU'RE AT IT

Senpai Noticed Me!!!

#BALANCEPCANDCONSOLESEPARATELY

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered
    With the change to Torvalds weapon having very long range and no falloff and no speed penalty while fireing, I think Inara needs a fix to her damage. Get rid of the speed penalty or add it to Torvald to make it fair.

Level
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester 500 Experience Points Forum Tier 2
    How about building-in an innate 10% damage mitigation with other abilities stacking with it, leaving everything else the same? It would make her even more of the immovable, disruptive force that she can be already under the right circumstances. It would counter the trend though of making front-liners more damage'y and less tank'y and lengthen average ttk.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Achievements:
    7 days registered Tagger Second Class
    So Inara is my main tank. I have a few gripes, mostly the same issues you all have.

Her Ultimate is real slow and needs some sort of tankiness on it. The 100% damage reduction makes sense seeing as that fits her theme and would be similar to Ash's ult just in reverse order.

My other thoughts of needed changes are her 2 reload speed cards. They have no real place and the added ammo ones work perfectly. So these two reloaders are even redundant.

My thoughts about the on elimination one, is to make it a purple card (taking the purple wall card down to green) having it give you a flat% max HP heal pet champion hit with your ult. Scaling 5/10/25/20 %. So hitting all 5 enemies with level 4 will heal you for 100% of your max hp.

For the one under her Right-click. It would be much more useful and desired if it was Bonus % move speed, while her right click is active. Typically Scaling 6/12/18/24% would be fine.

My last card suggestion is her wall card that adds more damage reduction to the wall... Instead I'd like to see this card heal you for a % of the damaged dealt to your wall. Scaling 4/8/12/16% would be fair.

So what do you all think? Any of these changes would you like to see? , or which ones do you like the most.?

Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 3 3 months registered 10000 Experience Points
    The only thing wrong with Inara is it feels wrong for a projectile champ to have a self inflicted slow while firing. I think a lot more people would use Inara if this was removed from her kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteelz View Post
    We're going to win so much, you'll be tired of winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOthell159 View Post
    Anyone who disagrees with me is a racist. GG EZ

Quote Originally Posted by DrSteelz View Post
    Enjoy! Torvald's summer skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallachia View Post
    I want to see Torvald in Bikinis.

PS: I roll play as Fernando the Self Appointed Playboy.