Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AFK compensation in comp

Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger First Class Forum Tier 3

AFK compensation in comp

So in comp, just like in casual, we have AFK people. It's just when you play comp, and someone leaves, they don't just ruin your experience, they also give away your TP. It is pretty rare that someone goes AFK in comp I will admit, but it still ruins the experience entirely, and since the game knows when someone is a bot since it replaces AFK players with bots, so you should not be able to lose too much TP when you lose because someone went AFK. It is just not fun to play, and it matters 10x more when you lose in comp compared to casual, and then if it is not a fair fight ... It's just not a good thing

I am decently sure it would be easy to add since as I mentioned earlier, the game knows who is a bot. I was thinking you max lose 5 TP if someone is AFK on your team, and as suggested by Genavelle, if you have someone AFK on your team for half of the duration of the match you lose no TP. As a bonus, if you go AFK in comp you should lose a ridiculous amount of TP, to make sure you don't go AFK. In my mind, I was thinking 20-30 TP. If you stand in spawn for 1 minute without leaving the spawn (Since this trick could be used to not get punished, unless you already do, but I have never tried it before cause I am not stupid), you would first get a warning at 40 seconds, before getting punished at 1 minute.

NOTE: If someone went AFK on your team, it would not say who went AFK, it would just say someone went AFK.

Simpler version (I noticed that the text was extremely hard to read, so here is a simpler version with only the main premiss):

In comp, people sometimes leave the game, and it makes the game unfair. I would like to give AFK compensation, so if someone goes AFK, you barely lose TP if someone on your team has been AFK for a duration of the match, compared to them losing a load of TP. If someone is AFK half of the duration of the match, you do not lose any TP. It would be easy to add in since the game already knows who goes AFK since it replaces AFK people with bots. If you stand in spawn for 1 minute without leaving the spawn (Since this trick could be used to not get punished, unless you already do, but I have never tried it before cause I am not stupid), you would first get a warning at 40 seconds, before getting punished at 1 minute.

NOTE: If someone on the other team leaves for the duration, you still gain the TP you would have earned.

(Specific number are marked in Italic)

Upon trying to abuse this sytem with smurf accounts (Which was a counter by Brodeo):

Well, for going AFK multiple times in comp, this is why it should be investigated when someone does this multiple times, but yes: there is no solution to this, except for investigation.

You should be able to report someone for going AFK in comp, then if someone was in a party with the AFK, suspicion would be raised. Since replays are available in comp, people can go back and look at these matches, possibly even hire volunteers to do so (BTW Hi-Rez, I would do that), to check if it looked like it was a loss. This investigation would be performed, if an AFK, was in a party and left the game every time there was a sign of defeat, and did not leave when they were winning. Upon performing this action, both the members of the party would be banned, resulting in the effort being a waste, since the main account was the one which wanted the TP.
    Last edited by LeonGra; 09-14-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    R.I.P. Makoa Googly Eyes and Volcanic Body Skin Combo
    Died OB59

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU

#ValkureFanboy

Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    I had an idea about this: for every minute there is a bot on your team, you lose 1 less TP than you would have normally lost. If there is a bot on your team for at least half the length of the game, then your whole team loses 0 TP.

In addition, the person who was a bot would still lose TP with bonus TP loss (either via the same formula, or just a standard number like 5 extra TP) for leaving. Anyone who is disconnected for at least half the length of a match should also receive a 1 hour Deserter penalty.

So for example, if someone on your team disconnects and your team loses, let's say they were a bot for 4 minutes in a 10 minute game, and you normally would have lost 10 TP for losing. Now you lose 6 TP instead. If it was an 8 minute game, then you would lose 0 TP.

And if we really want to preserve whatever integrity the rankings have, then we should also reduce TP gains for teams who win against a bot. I mean, if you win against a bot, it doesn't necessarily require as much skill for your team-why be rewarded the same amount as winning against a full team? So I would say that in the case Team A had a bot for at least half the length of the game, then Team B should only gain maybe 3/4 of their regular TP.

Member Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:
    7 days registered Tagger Second Class 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    I like what you're saying. It makes sense. But I think it's ok to let the enemy team get their full share of TP for winning. I mean they're still spending the time. And totally blameless.

One thought I had was if a guy just hangs back in the base and doesn't leave or else disconnects he should sop up everyone else's TP loss in proportion to how much of the match he scuppered. I mean this way rage quitters would carry most of the pain.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by JalkianValour View Post
    I like what you're saying. It makes sense. But I think it's ok to let the enemy team get their full share of TP for winning. I mean they're still spending the time. And totally blameless.

One thought I had was if a guy just hangs back in the base and doesn't leave or else disconnects he should sop up everyone else's TP loss in proportion to how much of the match he scuppered. I mean this way rage quitters would carry most of the pain.
    My thought on reducing winning TP against Bots has more to do with the integrity of rankings than anything else. I mean if you think about it, a player's ranking should ideally reflect their skill level. You gain/lose TP as a way to try and place you in the correct rank and skill tier. What skill are you proving by defeating a handicapped team? Why should your ranking be boosted for this?

I mean, it's not something they would ever actually implement anyway, and I totally understand why it seems a little unfair. But I think it's also good to consider things from this perspective and realize that ranks should technically be earned, not just rewarded for playtime.

Member Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:
    7 days registered Tagger Second Class 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Genavelle View Post
    My thought on reducing winning TP against Bots has more to do with the integrity of rankings than anything else. I mean if you think about it, a player's ranking should ideally reflect their skill level. You gain/lose TP as a way to try and place you in the correct rank and skill tier. What skill are you proving by defeating a handicapped team? Why should your ranking be boosted for this?

I mean, it's not something they would ever actually implement anyway, and I totally understand why it seems a little unfair. But I think it's also good to consider things from this perspective and realize that ranks should technically be earned, not just rewarded for playtime.
    Yeah I understand and maybe even agree a bit. But I'm just worried if you make it a thing it could become a strategic missile some troll could use to offset matches. I don't know.

I guess I just worry about some unknown exploit someone will use if they're thinking they'll lose anyway. My gut says winning by a hard fight instead of an easy one shouldn't be turned into the winner's problem.

But then again maybe it should? Gotta think about this a bit.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger First Class Forum Tier 3
    I had an idea about this: for every minute there is a bot on your team, you lose 1 less TP than you would have normally lost. If there is a bot on your team for at least half the length of the game, then your whole team loses 0 TP.

In addition, the person who was a bot would still lose TP with bonus TP loss (either via the same formula, or just a standard number like 5 extra TP) for leaving. Anyone who is disconnected for at least half the length of a match should also receive a 1 hour Deserter penalty.

So for example, if someone on your team disconnects and your team loses, let's say they were a bot for 4 minutes in a 10 minute game, and you normally would have lost 10 TP for losing. Now you lose 6 TP instead. If it was an 8 minute game, then you would lose 0 TP.

And if we really want to preserve whatever integrity the rankings have, then we should also reduce TP gains for teams who win against a bot. I mean, if you win against a bot, it doesn't necessarily require as much skill for your team-why be rewarded the same amount as winning against a full team? So I would say that in the case Team A had a bot for at least half the length of the game, then Team B should only gain maybe 3/4 of their regular TP.
    The only flaw I see with this system is that if someone leaves and you get completely annihilated 4-0, and the match lasts 6 minutes, you would only get a reduction of 6 TP when then you should have lost no TP. However, the 1-hour deserter penalty sounds like a great idea.

+1 for you
    Last edited by LeonGra; 09-12-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Died OB59

#ValkureFanboy

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by JalkianValour View Post

Well, as a bonus for thinking about this, Hi-Rez could add the base feature from SMITE. In SMITE if you never leave your spawn you disconnect and get a deserter penalty.

Now, this would not get rid of the trolling, just the rage quitting which comes with comp, so the timer would not count for time standing still, but if you are in your base for more than 1.5 minutes, you get a penalty.

+1 for you
    Died OB59

#ValkureFanboy

Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 Tagger Second Class 10000 Experience Points
    The only problem with this is people teaming up to buff each other's TP. Example:

Me and friend want to rank up significantly. I use my main and he uses a smurf, and we play as a party. If we're doing well, we play the game. If our team does poorly, the smurf goes afk at the first sign of defeat so we don't lose as much TP. After a few matches, my friend plays on his main and I use a smurf account, and we repeat the same system.

This is the main reason I hesitate to support any proposals like this regarding afk teammates. I'm all for creating a huge deserter penalty, or even a large TP penalty, to anyone found to be afking in ranked matches. But I don't trust the thought of softening the loss for teammates of the deserter, even though I am aware of how much it sucks to realize you're trying to play with a bit on your team
    Last one standing w-... Well, your legs will be tired. So there.
    ----------------------------
    http://paladins.guru/profile/pc/br0d30
    -----------------------------
    How I feel after falling for the bait-and-switch and buying a booster pack for those nonexistent radiant chests:

Quote Originally Posted by xxXxAIDSxXxx View Post
    Dryface: we need more money!
    Prettybear: how about we scam people by promising them chests, but just giving them useless currency, so they all buy boosters?
    Dryface: brilliant!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonGra View Post
    The only flaw I see with this system is that if someone leaves and you get completely annihilated 4-0, and the match lasts 6 minutes, you would only get a reduction of 6 TP when then you should have lost no TP. However, the 1-hour deserter penalty sounds like a great idea.

+1 for you
    But I also said that if someone is a bot for at least half the length of the game, then the teammates would lose 0 TP. Wouldn't matter how long the overall match is, if someone is a bot for 50% of that time or more, the teammates lose nothing.

Level
    Achievements:
    But I also said that if someone is a bot for at least half the length of the game, then the teammates would lose 0 TP. Wouldn't matter how long the overall match is, if someone is a bot for 50% of that time or more, the teammates lose nothing.
    I feel like an idiot, but that would solve it.
    Died OB59

#ValkureFanboy