Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Unprofessionalism will kill Paladins

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Tagger First Class Forum Tier 4 Overdrive 50000 Experience Points

How Unprofessionalism will kill Paladins

Ok, the thread title is a bit clickbaity, but it gets people to check this severe problem I (and probably a bunch of others) have noticed for awhile. Even now this is happening. Since goddamn OB 35. My first ever patch.

TL ; DR - Each underline bullet shows a summarized point to the problem, and the final paragraph summarizes my send-off message of unprofressionalism.

Paladins, and in some sense Hi-Rez, are unprofessional.

Way too many times I've seen this happen. It started with small bugs. Casual mis-spellings. Some hiccups on official streams. The basic mistakes. Sometimes there would be a HUGE bug that would highlight a patch in the wrong way, but this was a rare occurrence. The common human error. I forgave such mistakes early on, since everyone makes mistakes. Even on games, like Paladins.

However, these small mistakes always kept happening every patch. Always. Even now, 20 patches later. Still small bugs. Still mis-spellings (or in this case, incorrect values/words). Still hiccups on stream (although gladly this problem has reduced). Still basic mistakes.

While the game is approaching the E-sport scene. Officially.

This is an entire thread of my dissatisfaction of how Paladins has been unprofessional since I joined, and how this unprofessionalism lingers even today. And how if left undone, will eventually kill Paladins. I decided to organized my points from least bad to worst bad.

1. Paladins videos are amateurish

Amateur videos have its charm. Heck, my favorite video out of ALL the Hi-Rez videos on youtube is the Biz-King Blowout sale. And that video is amateur as F@#$. But it an endearing way.

But many mistakes seen in amateur type videos are even around official videos of Paladins. The ones meant to promote their product or assist an audience. The patch previews are the worst offenders of this. How many times is a skin shown is not entirely ready (i.e. VGS lines not working, or abilities remain in their default look instead of the skin’s look)? Or a word or two on screen is misspelled? Or a short 5-10 seconds silence of nothing happens, when something was supposed to happen? This occurred since my first viewings of Patch Previews awhile back, and I brushed them off as human mistakes. I didn’t expect them to happen again even weeks later. Or months later.

Thankfully this problem is occurring less and less. And the OB 58 preview was the best patch preview I’ve seen in terms of professionalism. Barely, if not any, problems. Keep this up. The previews/videos on youtube are your main video location of your products. Keep them consistent.

2. Long-time bugs left to linger

Paladins has bugs. No beating around the bush there. Thankfully some, if not a lot, of these bugs are taken care of over a short time . A lot of small-time bugs get fixed usually a patch or 2 later. But some linger for more than one patch. Heck, maybe even more than 10 patches. Remember the Androxus reversal bug? This was an issue with Androxus that had his reversal not take all the damage from frontward, having a few damaging hits still connect to him anyway. This lead to a lot of frustrations towards Androxus users that used reversal as a safe haven. This patch was eventually fixed in OB 50.

This problem was first mentioned in highlight around OB 35. Nearly half a year ago.

Long time bugs like these are very damaging over time. Leaving a problem to fester just makes their ongoing pleas of fixing a bug much more damaging in a reputation perspective. It’ll give an image to the bug-fixers of Paladins that “they are not doing their job.” And the longer a bug like this is left, the more this image becomes true. Even now, bugs mentioned months ago still linger. The random occurrence of abilities not activating upon usage. False item purchase confirmation. Pip’s Healing potions. Some bugs still left to fix, even after months of it being reported, and multiple people having the same issue.

This isn’t a issue I can’t entirely agree myself, even after pointing it out, for I am not a bug-fixer. A coder. Maybe such problems are very problematic, and do take this long to fix. But then again, there’s the PTS…

• PTS is PPS

• Public Test Server. That is not what PTS is.

As mentioned in a thread of the same problem, PTS is not being used as a testing period to fix any bugs/balance destruction that any new patch would include. Instead, the PTS is usually used as a one-week early ticket to try the NEW AND EXCITING CHANGES OF THE NEW PATCH. A PPS. A Patch Preview Server. Not as a way to improve stability for when the patch launches, but to show off the new things. Not actually fix the new things.

Its sad that this has been going on in PTS for awhile. PTS would be launched, then the official patch, and nearly hours later of the patch's implementation, a bug would need hotfixing. It happened then. It still happens now. Now this patch, OB58, has people gaining VIP points in the hundreds of thousands. And yet such a bug wasn't discovered somehow in the PTS. I wish to neglect this as bugs that do not surface in PTS. However, repeated times of a hotfix appearing RIGHT after a patch release deters my doubts of this. I really want the PTS to be a Public Test Server. But for so many times, it has always been a PPS. A Patch Preview Server.

• Tutorial teaches nothing

This is the singular biggest problem of Paladins. The tutorial. It teaches nothing.

Like really NOTHING.

Last time I tried the tutorial (for the 32,000 essence gain), I remember it only teaching 3 things: how to move, how to attack, and how to cap a point/cart.

THAT IS IT.

• It does not give a tutorial of items. A very fundamental part of Paladins that defines a victory or loss. Tide-turning item purchase, like Cauterize, Chronos, and Haven/B.Shields. How there are 3 tiers of items. How only 1 can be bought per tier. And which items do what.

It does not give a tutorial of loadouts. An incredible asset of customizing a player’s style of play on a champion. How you can equip 5 of 16 cards that alter your skills’ elements. How you can upgrade the card’s power from the (-) and (+) icons. And how a Legendary card changes a large part of a champion that further changes the enjoyment of said champion.

It does not give a tutorial of class types. How a frontliner gains credits on objectives and are the tank champions that focuses the destructive force of the enemy team. How a support gains credits on healing allies and are the champions that keep teams alive and victorious. How a damage gains credits on damage and are the champions that dish out damage in excessive amounts. And how a flank gains credits on kills and are the champions that assassinate key targets of enemies from behind.

It doesn’t even give a tutorial how the CURRENCIES WORK. How gold buys non-fancy items and chests. How essence buys legendaries and cards. How crystals buy the cool-looking stuff, but do not affect gameplay. And how VIP is a thing!!!!

I remember when starting Paladins back in October that there WERE videos that said all of the above, but I haven’t seen an update of these videos for a long while. And after some time of playing Paladins, the videos aren’t AVAILABLE AGAIN. Why not leave them available at all times somewhere? Don’t make new players (or veterans, also) struggle just to see the video again for a reassurance of information. OR JUST TEACH THEM IN-GAME RATHER THAN A VIDEO. Watching a thing doesn’t give a full aid to new players. An interactive, narrative explanation of a game mechanic will help much, much more.

Games with a bad tutorial will make new players wanting to join the game community have less incentive to do so. They will feel the tutorial is uninformative, or downright low quality. And will leave.

And new players are what keeps a game alive. If new players stop coming, Paladins will die.

And this finishes my criticism of unprofessionalism. Videos and previews are sometimes amateurish. Bugs that have lingered for a while are damaging overtime. The PTS barely does any assistance in eliminating new bugs that surface. And the tutorial is BAD.

And these things can be fixed. Which is what urks me the most.

These are all issues that can be fixed. They can be done. Paladins can be professional in appearance and reputation. But the repeated times these problems occur, and the problems that have existed still linger to today, is what keeps some people thinking Hi-Rez isn’t putting their maximum efforts into Paladins.

And sadly I’ve felt this then. And I still do so now. I tolerate it cause I am invested into Paladins. But not the new community. New players or reviewers, both minor and extremely influential, will come in masses once Paladins releases. And once it releases, and if these problem still exist, Paladins will not survive.
    EVERYTHING AFTER OB 50 SUCKS. Except 52, 55, and 56. I KNEW YOU WELL, TORVALD...
    My opinion on champion switching, godammit.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyOzzy, about buffing Skye
    In short, Skye's butt needs more veritcal movement, but less damage capability.
    Strong advocator for Ying in a Nurse outfit.
    ~PALADOODLES~
    My Fan-art thread! (SFM EDITION RELEASED)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 3 months registered 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Your usage of bb code broke the page.

HOW?
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezPixieKittie's Personal Power Ranger.

This Forum Moderator is now Semi-Automatic
    "Wallachia is seeing a significant increase in potential ban speed and overall ban-feeling. Ban carefully and be conscious of your decreasing accuracy as you take advantage of the new ban rate!"

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Tagger First Class Forum Tier 4 Overdrive 50000 Experience Points
    Was wondering if i broke it or not.

Damn, I ranted a long one here. Any way to fix it?
    EVERYTHING AFTER OB 50 SUCKS. Except 52, 55, and 56. I KNEW YOU WELL, TORVALD...
    My opinion on champion switching, godammit.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyOzzy, about buffing Skye
    In short, Skye's butt needs more veritcal movement, but less damage capability.
    Strong advocator for Ying in a Nurse outfit.
    ~PALADOODLES~
    My Fan-art thread! (SFM EDITION RELEASED)

Member Sovereign Prince CaoCao777's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Tagger Second Class 10000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4
    idk i seen a Gamasutra article about "put bugs intentionally in your game, it will increase player feedback interaction"

... sounds really dumb to me... but i suspect HiRez is doing that here...

because like, seriously... they will have the STUPIDEST MINOR things broken, that like, a script kiddie could implement the functionality better and without bugs

... like prices for unlocks being glitched and stuff...
    that HAS TO BE intentional
    MORE MAPS!!! old test maps queue would be cool,
    where we can play ALL test maps ever made !!

Sandbridge was the best map so far!
    #BUFFEVIE
    SHES CUUUUUTE!!! WHY YOU GOTTA HATE!!!!! Q.Q

#BUFFYING #NURSEYING
    http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...l=1#post296749

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    Great points.
    Add the Facebook exclusive for Paladins Premier League, that a huge blunder even if Facebook gave a good amount of money that is a bad move as PPL is still in early stages, it should not be an exclusive.
    welcome to mean street, kitten

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    7 days registered 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachia View Post
    Your usage of bb code broke the page.

HOW?
    the rant is too stronk!

Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester 31 days registered Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points
    I thought the tutorial was good.

The bugs aren't a big deal to me since this is a beta. Hi-Res has proven that they're implementing new game features so it's not like the game is really official.

The videos...yeah. it does seem like Hi Rez could do some better editing and stuff like that. Seems like they have a low amount of people handling that though.
    Looking for skilled friends to carry me. Add me on Steam (Blueobelisk) and/or in-game (Blueobelisk) so we can play a bit together. [North America, PC]

News flash: Front Line and Support are the easiest roles to play. Running onto the objective and throwing a shield up doesn't take skill. Neither does auto aim healing.

Latest Youtube Video: Makoa + Two Friends vs. Scrubs

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    +1 As a newbie I can confirm that tutorial is shit and doesnt explain anything useful required to progress in the game.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 4 Overdrive Tagger First Class 3 months registered Forum Tier 3 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2
    Great thread, Ozzy, as usual. And you must be entitled with the "Forum breaker" title.

I'd add another thing to the list. The balance of this game. Every new patch, we all know, an almost broken champion is released, just for being nerfed in the following patch. Marketing strategy? I don't know. The point is that the general feeling we have is that HiRez doesn't even know how to properly balance and test its own game.

EDIT
    Why my post is here??? I've answered at the bottom of the page!!! O.O
    Buhuaaaaaaaaaaaah, I don't want to stay here!!! Bring me back to my place at the bottom of the page!!! T_T T_T T_T

EDIT 2
    Oh, thanks! ^^
    I've finally found it!

New to the forum? Have a look >>>here<<<! Some useful answers.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 4 Forum Tier 3 Overdrive 50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkure View Post
    Great thread, Ozzy, as usual. And you must be entitled with the "Forum breaker" title.

I'd add another thing to the list. The balance of this game. Every new patch, we all know, an almost broken champion is released, just for being nerfed in the following patch. Marketing strategy? I don't know. The point is that the general feeling we have is that HiRez doesn't even know how to properly balance and test its own game.

EDIT
    Why my post is here??? I've answered at the bottom of the page!!! O.O
    Buhuaaaaaaaaaaaah, I don't want to stay here!!! Bring me back to my place at the bottom of the page!!! T_T T_T T_T

EDIT 2
    Oh, thanks! ^^
    The problem is that the test server is only up for a short time and even if its not unplayable there is barely any feedback. As Ozzy said its not actually used to test things and make adjustments before the patch goes live. A lot of champs have been overbuffed before (bomb king lag compensation, lifelike), and most of it could have been avoided if the pts was done properly.
    ☃⛄☃⛄☃⛄☃⛄☃⛄☃⛄☃⛄☃

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast