Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Scholar's Guide to Torvald.

Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered Forum Tier 2 Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Cool A Scholar's Guide to Daddy Torvald.

Introduction

Hey there people, this is an guide to everyone's least favorite front line, Torvald the Runic Sage. As an salty noob, you can say that I'm the least qualified person to ever write shit like this, but nobody will care anyways. In this guide, you will be taught general information, his pros and cons, how he should be played, and tips regarding play style. As for loadouts, I'm not going to cover it because I'm sure all of you can just go to some website and get the most popular cards right now. So without further ado, let's get down to it shall we?

Who is Torvald?

Torvald is an front line/support hybrid champion who defends in an aggressive way. His kit is the most defensive in the game, centralizing in protecting allies, charging his shields and disarming enemies. But his most striking feature is his considerable shield capacity, making him very durable and heavy. Now let's go into specifics.

A channeled beam of runic energy that locks on and deals 50 damage every 0.1s to a single target. 40% movement speed reduction while firing.
    • Ammo: 50
    • Reload: 1.4
    • Range: 50

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you one of the weakest LMB weapon shots in the whole entire game. The DPS is pathetic, and the range isn't any better. But that's not the point. The best thing about this LMB is that it locks on to enemies, hell yeah. So if you suck at aiming, this is the champion for you. But keep in mind, Torvald isn't an champion designed to deal damage in the first place. If you want to be useful to your team, please don't go flanking after enemies.

Regenerate 850 Shield Health per second for 2.5s. Channeling on an enemy Shield siphons 2000 Shield Health per second, regenerating your Shield.
    • Cooldown: 10 seconds

This is probably one of the most important ability in Torvald's kit, and what makes him an efficient as hell meatbag. If you have heard some salty noobs complaining that Torvald is an unkillable son of a bitch, this is what makes it possible. Oh, and did I mention that it can steal enemy shields? Of course, the duration is limited, and it's surprisingly unhelpful if you're against multiple enemies at once. Timing is the key here, so don't go spamming it whenever you step into Tyra's Fire Bomb.

Project a 2000 Health shield onto an ally for 2s. Can be cast during Recharge.
    • Cooldown: 9 seconds

Torvald is an semi-support. This ability allows Torvald to save allies at the last minute, and watch them get shredded once the 2 seconds duration is over. Still, it is an vital skill when your team is filled with selfish Viktors, and the front line has to carry the whole damn thing. 2000 shields is an instantaneous advantage in 1vs1 combat, so use it wisely. By the way, the targeting of this thing is weird as fuck, so don't expect to nail it on an ally you want every single time.

Shoot out a short range blast that Silences and Disarms enemies for 1.5s. Silence prevents the target from using any of their skills for the duration, and Disarm prevents the target from using weapon basic attacks for the duration.
    • Cooldown: 14 seconds

Satisfying and effective, this is what Torvald has instead of a freaking mobility skill. Silencing and Disarming are basically worse versions of stun, but it'll do for now. It can affect multiple enemies at once, which is pretty neat too. 1.5 seconds might not seem much, but it's 1.5 more seconds on the objective, 1.5 more seconds to put a Protection on an ally.. You get the point. But like the LMB, the range is extremely short, so be careful not to Silence and Disarm the air in front of you.

Unleash the latent power of your Gauntlet, channeling a blast that applies a massive knockback to all enemies for 2.35s. Deals 50 damage every 0.1s.

The only goddamn moment when Torvald's power level reaches 9000. Nothing does the job like an classic Hyper Beam to clear enemies off the payload at the last second. But the real pleasure of this Ultimate is its ability to send enemies flying off a fucking cliff. This is the only reliable way for Torvald to get Top Play, and is hilariously effective in maps such as Frog Isles or Fish Market. So if you ever get a chance to visit those places, morale boost your old gramps.

Pros vs. Cons

I'll be honest with you. Torvald's cons far outweigh his pros. Torvald isn't as effective as he used to be, since he had been nerfed into oblivion because of the damn noobs complaining about how overpowered he is while he isn't. But if you must play him cause you have this weird grandpa fetish, here's what you need to know.

Pros

• Highest health in the game.
    • Great at holding the objective.
    • Works both as a tank and a support.
    • High survivability.

Cons

• Extremely vulnerable against Wrecker.
    • Short range of LMB and F.
    • Worst dps in the game
    • Worst mobility in the game.
    • Extremely team reliant.
    • Weak in open space.
    • Long cooldowns.
    • Isn't a hot anime girl.

How to play Torvald

This is probably what you need to read most throughly. A Torvald's job is basically getting hit with bullets that would've otherwise hit an ally. It's that unglamorous. You have to basically become target practice for the enemy's Bomb King, and have to frequently suffer from an Dragon Punch up your ass. But hey, that's all worth it in the end when your ally flankers aren't trolls.

As an front line, it is essential for Torvald to stay in the objective and push the payload. This task is often difficult, as Torvald is useless against enemies that attack out of range. Despite Torvald's reputation as a shield enthusiast, he would constantly get harrassed by an enemy Drogoz, Kinessa, Lex, Lian, Grover, etc. So in conclusion, don't try to chase those kind of enemies that attack out of range. You will fail. Instead, focus on getting your tits together and hold the objective or payload as best as you can. Skillfully time your RMB and F to maximize your survivability. Also, don't hesitate to use the Q ability. Believe me, your allies would appreciate it. Look for the right moment to press that Q, and save your ally's sorry butt. The satisfaction would be orgasmic.

And I know that there would be moments when the objective is swarmed with enemies, and your allies aren't around to help you. Again, Torvald can't kill. He has to leave the job to allies. There isn't any chance that you can break through all those enemies alone. You'll probably just get killed before he even moves into range. So in these cases, wait for an ally to go with you. If that ally is an fucking noob, good luck.

Lastly, here's an Torvald's Ultimate for Dummies. Contrary to every single thing about Torvald, the Ultimate is devoted to sending enemies out of range, and works best in open space. If you use the Ultimate in an confined area, the enemies would just hit a wall, and come back to kill you as soon as the duration is over. So, it is rather ineffective in places such as objectives, which sucks major dicks. So instead, blast enemies off a cliff instead of just buying a little time for you to step on the objective. Please, don't do something as inefficient.

Quick Tips

Use Direct Current. I said that I wouldn't be explaining loadouts, but this is an pretty obvious tip. Field Study and Alternating Current only works in very specific builds that revolve around even more specific play styles. That inflexibility makes them a less viable choice than a simple, allrounder build. So just stick with Direct Current.

Buy Haven or Morale Boost. Haven is an great item that can increase Torvald's survivability. Morale Boost can maximize the potential of Torvald's Hyper Beam, especially on maps such as Frog Isles or Fish Market. Environmental deaths ho! For secondary choices, I recommend Nimble, which can support Torvald's mobility, and Chronos, to compensate for the high cooldowns.

Spam the space bar. Torvald's weapon shot is auto-lock, so jumping up and down wouldn't affect aim. Always jumping can actually be an asset, as it would make you harder to hit.

That's it, folks.

Well, I hope this was helpful. If you have any opinions of your own, feel free to roast me with your superior knowledge about this game. I would also appreciate some feedback on my guide. With that, have a fun time playing daddy Torvald. Whether it be harassing enemies with the Runic Blast or scoring a Triple Kill with the badass Ultimate, I wish you another victory for science.

Last edited by Harlequin98; 08-27-2017 at 04:29 AM.
    Congratulations, you've noticed my post.
    I'm your typical nerdy high schooler; a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm also a chronic gamer who couldn't afford full priced games, a salty Torvald main, and an antisocial logophile. Anyways, it was nice meeting you. I'm sure we'll get along fine. Maybe not, but who cares. Soundcloud?

My Champion Concepts.
    This Guide is dead. RIP.
    From my heart.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Cool, mon.

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered Forum Tier 2 Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by JohannFHT View Post
    Cool, mon.
    Thanks, bro.
    I'm your typical nerdy high schooler; a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm also a chronic gamer who couldn't afford full priced games, a salty Torvald main, and an antisocial logophile. Anyways, it was nice meeting you. I'm sure we'll get along fine. Maybe not, but who cares. Soundcloud?

My Champion Concepts.
    This Guide is dead. RIP.
    From my heart.

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4
    Honestly best guide i have seen. Clear,interesting,useful,not too long or repetitive but most importantly funny . Well done.I hope they publish it as official guide someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin98 View Post
    Cons
    • Worst dps in the game
    • Worst mobility in the game.
    • Extremely team reliant.
    • Weak in open space.
    Those all make me not want to play him even though he can be fun sometimes. Tyra has same problems except for DPS.

Again, Torvald can't kill. He has to leave the job to allies.
    This made me stop playing him. Nando had similar issue.

Field Study was always shit,
    I thought it was great. Depends on team though.

-Is flanking Torvald with Nimble or Master Riding any good? oddly I have seen it work better. I noticed Torvalds with high winrates play very aggressively,they die a lot but somehow win.
    Last edited by DaSpyChecker; 07-31-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSpyChecker View Post
    -Is flanking Torvald with Nimble or Master Riding any good? oddly I have seen it work better. I noticed Torvalds with high winrates play very aggressively,they die a lot but somehow win.
    After the shield nerf patch i started buying Nimble. Pretty easy to hit squishies for a couple sec, runic blast so they can't get away, then finish them off. They definately don't expect you to be able to keep up with them when they're trying to run away. That combined with his increased range definately got me quite a few kills.
    Last edited by L1lMatt; 07-31-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Member Duke
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 10000 Experience Points
    Well, I hope this was helpful.
    Holy sh*t...your guide is 100 times better looking than the one I made, really awesome, thanks for your effort into making it
    Last edited by emrahkutuk786; 10-03-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Currently at Mastery 24 with Maeve and growing...(Mastery 21 before OB 58)
    #of Blades
    I will always stand by this champion....
    Raeve + Dreamhack <3
    Kill Compilations/ Life in Paladins: YouTube Channel
    My personal Maeve guide
    Also known as 'ProjectEC97'

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSpyChecker View Post
    I thought it was great. Depends on team though.

One of Torvald's biggest weaknesses is that he relies on his allies too much. I suppose it's up to personal preference, but that's why I think a Protection build is inefficient. Nimble on Torvald is also a great choice, but I recommend Haven or Morale Boost more. Thanks for your comment, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by L1lMatt View Post
    After the shield nerf patch i started buying Nimble. Pretty easy to hit squishies for a couple sec, runic blast so they can't get away, then finish them off. They definately don't expect you to be able to keep up with them when they're trying to run away. That combined with his increased range definately got me quite a few kills.
    Nimble is great, but Torvald is much more efficient on the objective than flanking. Even with the increased movement speed from Nimble, he can stile outrun by most of the champions. So if you can flank with Torvald, holy hell you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by emrahkutuk786 View Post
    Holy sh*t...your guide is 100 times better looking than the one I made, really awesome, thanks for your effort into making it
    Thanks! Glad you like it.
    Last edited by Harlequin98; 08-01-2017 at 03:20 AM.

My Champion Concepts.
    This Guide is dead. RIP.
    From my heart.

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 31 days registered Forum Tier 3
    Such a damn good guide, I'd rep you again when I get the chance, but I'll have to wait since I repped you for a previous post sometime eariler. XD Keep up the superb work my man.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by L1lMatt View Post
    Yesh, that is a funny thing to do. It is glorious to strike down a Maeve trying to run for her life...
    :v

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Tagger Second Class 50000 Experience Points Forum Tier 4 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    This thread is beautiful, and gave me an excellent idea.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.

HiRezAlyssa's Personal Power Ranger.

Booster Moderator
    “OB63 introduces a new type of Moderator that acts as a Ban Booster, not only for you, but also your entire mod team! These unique Legendary ban skins are available for every champion and include custom ban and banhammer animation.”