Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Champion Acquisition FAQ

Banned Viscount
    Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Forum Tier 4 Closed Beta Tester 25000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Champion Acquisition FAQ

Yesterday, we announced that we will be changing how Champions are acquired in Paladins moving forward. You can read the announcement here: http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?4992

FAQ

Hi-Rez said before that Champions would be free - what changed?
    Originally we had planned to release very few Champions every year and, instead, release lots of new cards to diversify gameplay. It became very quickly apparent after we launched into Closed Beta that this approach was not going to work. Not only did it play havoc with balancing, but the general consensus from the community was a desire for new Champions. Because of these two factors, among a number of others, we have decided to shift our focus on to bringing out more Champions on a regular basis while keeping the card pool relatively low.

The cards still allow for different playstyles, but are not overwhelming in number.

Will there be an Ultimate Champion Pack like SMITE?
    Post-launch, we will offer a "Champion's Pack" that includes all current and future champions. While it could change, we currently expect that to sell for around $30 USD.

The current Founder's Pack, which will stay at $20 for now, includes the "Champion's Pack" -- as well as other goodies (chests, mount, as well as a cool "Ares" skin for Fernando inside Paladins, and a "Fernando" skin for Ares inside of Smite). People that have already purchased the Founder's Pack get all the benefits of the Founder's Pack, including all current and future champions and the skins that will be released soon.

For those without the Champion/Founder's Pack, the current plan (subject to change) is for champions to cost 10,000 Gold or 200 Crystals.

How much will Champions cost?
    For those that don't own the Champion/Founder's Pack, champions are currently expected to cost 10,000 Gold or 200 Crystals (subject to change).

Will there be free Champions I can play?
    Yes - There will also be a free Champion rotation which will change every set time period.

In addition. for beta players, we will be allowing you to keep all the Champions that you already have before this change went into place -- even if you haven't purchased the Founder's Pack..

At the moment, it takes a long time to get 10,000 Gold. Will the amount of Gold we earn be increased?
    At current earn rates, we estimate that it will take most people around 15 hours of gameplay to earn 10,000 Gold. That does not count bonus Gold earned through the first win of the day, mastery levels, account levels, or future possible systems (daily login rewards, special events, daily quests) -- all of which should lower that amount.

How is the Champion renting system going to work?
    Players will be able to spend a small amount of Gold to unlock a Champion you do not own for a short time in order to test them out in a live match environment. Once your rental period has expired, you will no longer be able to use the Champion until either rented again or purchased.

If I purchase a Champion, do I get any free cards?
    All Champions come with five free cards so that you can create a base deck with them. These free decks include two Uncommon cards, one Rare Card, one Epic ard, and one Legendary Card.

Can I craft cards/create decks for Champions I do not own/am renting?
    You will be able to craft cards for Champions you are currently able to use in the live environment, meaning you could craft a card for a Champion you are renting or are using when that Champion is on the free rotation. Once your rental period expires or the Champion falls out of the free rotation, you no longer be able to craft cards/create decks for this Champion.

How many Champions can we expect in total?
    We hope to continually add Champions to the Paladins roster at a steady pace for the foreseeable future. We do not have a total number of Champions in mind at this time.

How often post-launch do you plan on releasing Champions?
    This timeframe will change with time, but we plan to release a new Champion frequently and regularly at a pace of one every 4-6 weeks.

If you have any further questions, please leave them in this thread and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability and add them into the FAQ above.
    Last edited by HiRezKaostic; 03-10-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Change Card Packs to Chests

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Closed Beta Tester
    ayyyyyyyyy finally kris

Originally we had planned to release very few Champions every year and, instead, release lots of new cards to diversify gameplay.

The reason why I got interested in Paladins tbh. I don't like the "we need more champions to create variety" thought process. Why can't we have variety through cards? IMHO the reason there wasn't enough variety as we had much cards was because they weren't really balanced / poorly designed. Cards should give each champion different playstyles, kinda.

But yeah, rip the dream
    Last edited by schadstoff_; 03-10-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Beta Player Baronet NinjaBoffin's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1 year registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    To be honest, 10,000 gold is perfectly fine for a hero.

It's not too grindy but It's not too easy to get!

+ champions pack included in Founders was an icing on the cake to be honest
    Former Manager for the Team Griffin and TEAMTEAMTEAM
    Staff/Writer for PaladinsWorld, Esports Fanatic and Content Creator

Moi Youtube

Moi Twitter

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by PandemicTrauma View Post
    Question: i already purchased the Founder's Pack waaaay back in the /BEGINNING/ of Paladins-
    Is the Fernando/Ares skin and Champions Pack going to be retroactively awarded* to me or am i going to have to spend ANOTHER 20$?!

This worries me, and makes me think it was a mistake to support so early on, if the latter is the case :c
    it says it in the question about the founders pack
    People that have already purchased the Founder's Pack get all the benefits of the Founder's Pack, including all current and future champions and the skins that will be released soon.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by lunafury View Post
    it says it in the question about the founders pack
    People that have already purchased the Founder's Pack get all the benefits of the Founder's Pack, including all current and future champions and the skins that will be released soon.
    Much appreciated Luna, i mustve skipped over it....
    this puts my heart at ease... ^_^
    ill just delete my earlier post since its no longer relevant
    Last edited by PandemicTrauma; 03-10-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    "BAAAARIK!"

Beta Player Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    How long will Founders Pack be available for purchase?

Banned Viscount
    Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Forum Tier 4 Closed Beta Tester 25000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Orzi View Post
    How long will Founders Pack be available for purchase?
    To my knowledge, until we launch; much the same as the Console SMITE Founder's Packs.
    Last edited by HiRezKaostic; 03-10-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Beta Player Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by HiRezKaostic View Post

The current Founder's Pack, which will stay at $20 for now, includes the "Champion's Pack" -- as well as other goodies (card packs, mount, as well as a cool "Ares" skin for Fernando inside Paladins, and a "Fernando" skin for Ares inside of Smite). People that have already purchased the Founder's Pack get all the benefits of the Founder's Pack, including all current and future champions and the skins that will be released soon.
    Happy to give you my Trust.
    I paid the founder's pack to help hi-rez at the stage of developement than I know cost a arm, a leg and an eyes.....

(A friend of mine want to give me a Beta Key instead, so if I want it , I can get it instead)

So, for support you i get a "ultimate god pack" for less money so yes I'm feel lucky.

More Seriously :
    Personnally, Since I'm on the game, (accounting and law professionnal deformed) I wanted Hi rez to clean the air about the business model of paladins,
    I want the game get a long and happy live...

And without regular income, you can't buy/maintain/improve server....
    And No server= No game.

For me it's a good news :
    *the game will have regular income,
    *You resolve the Card/champions beginner's paradox ( you give at least a legendary card for start when a player buy a champion)
    *If you want all god you can have it for a price i personnally found decent.

EDIT : the only thing i'm not for :Looting : i never buy gem on Smite because of that,
    I don't care to pay more, but please don't make it a LOOT system for skin -_-""""
    Last edited by Mrdeathdawn; 03-10-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    I don't play to become "pro", I only play because I like it.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester 500 Experience Points
    4-6 weeks? it's almost 10 champions! How will you balance them? Maybe at least 1 champion for 8-10 weeks? I personally don't wanna this game to be like League of legends with 100+ champions for a couple of years.

Beta Player Sovereign Prince
    The Realm of Hi-Rez (wherever that is in this world of blankness)
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Forum Tier 3 Closed Beta Tester 10000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by schadstoff_ View Post
    ayyyyyyyyy finally kris

Originally we had planned to release very few Champions every year and, instead, release lots of new cards to diversify gameplay.

The reason why I got interested in Paladins tbh. I don't like the "we need more champions to create variety" thought process. Why can't we have variety through cards? IMHO the reason there wasn't enough variety as we had much cards was because they weren't really balanced / poorly designed. Cards should give each champion different playstyles, kinda.

But yeah, rip the dream
    Metooman

I even liked some of the RNG things.
    The only thing I ever commented about RNG was to make it non-RNG for competitive tournaments (which is around the time when Constructed Deck was put into the game a bit later), I wanted to keep the RNG to casual play because it was fun, tho the problem with that was the balance (as said) to make all cards act with similar "power/skill". (other wise some ppls could get more lucky and get a stronger card than others)

I didn't care much about the slow rate of obtaining Card, I was even saving my Duplicates because they said you could buy skins with Duplicates (which eventually turn into CP and now into Gold).

I didn't craft much cards, got most of them from playing the game, leveling up account to 30 and all champions to 15 (besides Fernando)
    Tho now I get less things like Gold, cause you don't get anymore Gold at level 30.

I didn't level Champions much after that either, started to play less and started to not have "mains" and just pick whichever Champion suits best for which map mode.
    My Grover and Kinessa is still at level 1, lol.
    Mainly cause Kinessa got crazy ppls that either instalock to play or to not let others play.
    And Grover got nerfed a bit, so he's harder to play.