Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UPCOMING CHANGE: Unlocking Champions in Paladins

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Forum Tier 4 Closed Beta Tester Veteran 25000 Experience Points

UPCOMING CHANGE: Unlocking Champions in Paladins

When we initially began the Paladins beta, our general plan was that the game would contain a relatively small number of champions -- with each champion having a very large number of cards.

As we have progressed with the beta, it has been clear from your feedback and our own experience that most players prefer to have a larger number of champions, each defined by a basic playstyle and purpose that is enhanced by the cards. In this new scheme, there will still be a good number of cards per champion, but not as many as initially envisioned. (At present, we are thinking there will be around 20 to 25 cards per champion). In addition, we have made it much easier to get cards and to craft cards you desire for a specific champion at a specific rarity level.

Right now, we are working hard to significantly expand our champion roster -- in a manner similar to what we did with Smite (releasing new champions on a regular cadence for hopefully a long time to come).

With this new system, we have decided to also make a change to how champions are unlocked. Players will now need to unlock champions either with Gold (earned through playing the game) or Crystals (purchased with real money or earned during promotional events). The price of each champion will be quite reasonable and relatively easy to earn through gameplay (very similar to Smite).

A set of 7 characters will always be able to play for free by everyone. This list of 7 characters will regularly rotate, so that players that don't spend any gold or crystals still get a chance to play every character for free on occassion.

You will be able to try all champions in a practice mode prior to unlocking. And we will also add a way for you to "rent" a champion for a very small gold amount to try out.

As a reward to our early beta testers, anyone that has played in the beta prior to when this change goes active will have all of the champions released up until that point given to them (no need to purchase).

I'm extremely excited about some of the new champions coming to Paladins soon and look forward to seeing you in the Realm!

UPDATE: Post-launch, we will offer a "Champion's Pack" that includes all current and future champions. While it could change, I currently expect that to sell for around $30 USD.

The Founder's Pack, which will stay at $20 for now, includes the "Champion's Pack" -- as well as other goodies (card packs, mount, as well as a cool "Ares" skin for Fernando inside Paladins, and a "Fernando" skin for Ares inside of Smite). People that have already purchased the Founder's Pack get all the benefits of the Founder's Pack, including all current and future champions.

For those without the Champion/Founder's Pack, the current plan (subject to change) is for champions to cost 10,000 Gold or 200 Crystals.

We have prepared an FAQ Document to answer a selection of questions. It can be found here: http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?5014
    Last edited by HiRezKaostic; 03-16-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Closed Beta Tester
    Last edited by schadstoff_; 03-09-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    Welp uninstalled. Was promising for a little while. Not interested in another Moba pricing scheme.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    Rip palaturds 2015-2016 !

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    I'm pretty disappointed to see this news. We had HiRez employees in my stream multiple times answering questions, and when the topic drifted to overwatch and how your 40 dollars got you access to every champion, the HiRez employee assured us that Paladins would always give us every champion as well.

I've always loved having HiRez answering questions in stream the multiple times they've come in, but it's unfortunate that this development has come so soon after being told to my face that Paladins would always have the full champion roster for free. It's only been about a week since this conversation took place.

This announcement makes me start to feel like the responses I'm getting to Q&A's are just PR stunts to say whatever needs to be said to save face, instead of genuine promises from the developer.

Beta Player Knight
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 2 Closed Beta Tester
    I hope all cards will be free for compensate. That would make more fair pricing system while still being able to make money itself.

Beta Player Esquire
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    Forum Tier 2 Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Will you I guys be looking into a champion pack, much like the God pack?

Beta Player Baronet NinjaBoffin's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1 year registered Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points
    I don't know what to say. Is one thing going to be free then? So are card going to be free to compensate? or are the champions going to be super cheap (5,000 gold)?

Because people are leaving the game regardless, this might push them towards OW more (Unless, you compensate) in my honest opinion.
    Former Manager for the Team Griffin and TEAMTEAMTEAM
    Staff/Writer for PaladinsWorld, Esports Fanatic and Content Creator

Moi Youtube

Moi Twitter

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    Don't worry, all the champions will cost 50 gold. jk
    What's the matter? Got cold feet?

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    I honestly think this is a great change and will really help the game progress to the next level. In my opinion, only having 10 or so champions in the game will just get old after a while. It's fun to have to adjust to new play styles of the new champs similar to how Smite does it. In the beginning I think it will seem a bit underwhelming but once the champions start getting cranked out the game will progress, the meta will change and people will have to learn to adapt to different styles of the game which I think will really help the game grow.