Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My ultimate guide on how to play with Maeve

Member Duke
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 10000 Experience Points

Lightbulb My ultimate guide on how to play with Maeve

Hi to all Paladins players

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

The following guide is meant to serve all newcomers to this champion and also for people who use her on a regular basis and would like to learn my play style as this guide is based on the way I play myself. Feel free to correct me if applicable and to give me your own suggestions.

Note !! :Know that this guide is based on console gameplay and experience, so please keep this factor in mind when applying these suggestions in the guide (especially those about better/worst champions to duel) as they can differ between the two platforms.

Since this guide is long, I've separated it into the following sections:

A) Skills/ Abilities
    B) Card Loadout
    C) Legendary Cards
    D) Items in Item Shop
    E) Tactics/ Strategies
    F) Miscellaneous Tactics
    G) Enemies to look out for

The First thing I would like to say is that you SHOULD NOT, I repeat DO NOT use her as any other champion type other than a flank especially a Front Line, you will encounter death instantly. I had to learn this the hard way and would get killed more than I would contribute at all (this was when I first started using her).

A) Skills/ Abilities (Needed for term references)

Daggers - Throw two Daggers every second that each deal 420 Damage - R2/ RT/ LMB

Notes: Has mild arc and drop, does not use ammo therefore does not require a reload.

Pounce - Quickly Dash in any direction you're aiming, Collide with an enemy to perform a melee Strike for 500 damage - L2/ LT/ RMB

Notes: Applies a 'bounce' off of your enemy and has a range of 50.

Prowl - Move 65% Faster and increase jump height to 4 seconds - R1/ RB/ F

Notes: Using any other ability will cancel prowl.

Maeve's jump height/ time is increased.

Nine Lives - Reset the cooldowns of Pounce and Prowl - L1/ LB/ Q

Notes: Very important when facing desperate situations

Midnight - Enemies within 300ft (91.44m) have their vision restricted to a 30 foot (9.144m) radius for 4 seconds - Triangle/ Y/ E

Notes: This is her ultimate, it's also important and will be mentioned in my Tactics/ Strategies section. Also note that enemies will have a circle around them that shows how far their vision is restricted.

Important - The item 'Resilience' will affect the duration but it cannot reduce it to below 2 seconds.

B) My card loadouts

Loadout 1 - Artful Dodger

Chase II - Increase the speed bonus of Prowl by 20%

Savagery II - Pounce heals you for 140 Health on a successful hit.

Patch Up III - Nine Lives now heals for 240.

Walk It Off III - Heal for 120 Health every second during Prowl.

Street Cred II - Increase your maximum Health by 100.

Loadout 2 - Rogues Gambit

Street Cred IV - Increase your maximum Health by 200.

Savagery I - Pounce heals you for 70 Health on a successful hit.

Walk It Off II - Heal for 80 Health every second during Prowl.

Chase I - Increase the speed bonus of Prowl by 10%

Patch Up IV - Nine Lives now heals for 320.

C) Legendary Cards

Artful Dodger - Activating Nine Lives cleanses all Crowd Control effects and heals for 500.

Rogues Gambit - Eliminations reset the Cooldown of Pounce.

Cat Burglar - Deal 30% more damage with your first two shots within 5 seconds after prowl.

With regards to legendary cards...

The two that I use on a regular basis are Artful Dodger and Rouges Gambit depending on which champions were picked on the enemy team. If the team has a champion that has a Crowd Control (CC) ability, then it would be advised that you take Artful Dodger as it proves to be handy when trying to escape from certain champion abilities (Damage Overtime does not bother me too much). Here are some examples:
    • Any stun ability
    • Makoa's 'Dredge Anchor'
    • Jenos' 'Void Grip' (Can escape by double jumping also except when Jenos has 'The Power Cosmeum' legendary card)
    • Seris' ult 'Convergence'
    • Zhin's ult 'Spite'
    (Note: Research ability names if not known)

And a few others I haven't experienced or that I'm not aware of.

As for Rouges Gambit, obviously used if there are no CC ability champions to deal with (Flanks,Damage), it becomes useful if moving around the map a lot such as getting somewhere high or escaping. It is also useful when you're put in a 2v1 situation where both enemy champions are vulnerable. What it allows you to do is eliminate the first enemy and if 'Pounce' was used to eliminate them, you have your 'Pounce' reset and ready to use on the other champion.

I would however like to say that both situations that I've mentioned (Lack of CC enemy, vulnerable 2v1 case) are extremely rare and therefore I wouldn't recommend using Rouges Gambit unless you can guarantee your kills/ eliminations.

And at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide on what you think would work best for you.

To summarize:

Artful Dodger
    Pros

• Crowd Control does not affect you with the activation of Nine Lives
    • Heals you for 500 and with the addition of a card in my loadout, it can heal even more (Note: 'Cauterize' now affects healing on this card)

Cons

• Frequent use of Nine Lives.

Rogues Gambit
    Pros

• Gives you one extra Pounce to use if needed.
    • Eliminates the need to use nine lives frequently.

Cons

• More skill required to keep health up such as movement and/ or damage dealing.
    • When battling an enemy, sometimes a player will kill the enemy using the daggers but will pounce by mistake afterwards thinking that the enemy is still alive, this does not give you the extra pounce. This has happened to me many times.

I can't help with the third legendary card since I do not use it at all.

D) Item Shop

These are the regular items I always purchase

Haven - Reduces the damage taken from direct attacks

Chronos - Reduces cooldowns on abilities

Life Rip - Gain life steal from your weapon shots

Cauterize - Reduces healing on enemies for 1.5 seconds

E) Tactics/ Strategy

1) The common Maeve combo which all players who have ever played as her should know and that has been encouraged by Hi-Rez themselves is the "Dagger , Pounce, Dagger" combo. This combo deals 2180 damage and is great for solo battles with other flankers/ damage champions.

Please note that both daggers will have to hit the target on both throws and pounce will have to connect to the target. The best option is to throw the first set of daggers head on, double jump into the air, aim towards the target, Pounce them and as you are landing, throw the second set of daggers.

2) When approaching objective, never go through the front, that's not a flankers job, instead move towards the sides and try your best at concealing yourself from other flankers until you're ready to attack ( Fish Market and Ice Caves are perfect for this).

Don't rush your way into a fight unless someone is in need of help, you will always find opportunities to take down targets. Also pick out the vulnerable targets first, if you go up against somebody like Ruckus or Makoa, you will find yourself a one way ticket to death.

Deal with these front liners by helping damage dealers/ flankers or other front liners of your team. When put together, you can contribute a lot to taking them down with the help of others. Just be vigilant of your surroundings for any other champions that might cause problems while you are helping to take down the enemy front line.

3) Dealing with champions at long range. Daggers suffered a high gravitational drop prior to OB58 but have been changed slightly. Daggers will now travel faster and with less gravity drop therefore it is more easier to get kills from a distance than what it was like. There is still a slight aim height adjustment to make when targeting long range but it is easier to predict the dagger movement now.

Remember that the chances of you killing them are still low since they will move around a lot or retreat so the best alternate option would be to first get closer to them, all the maps offer alternative routes in getting to them. Find the best for you where they won't know that you're after them.

4) Maeves Ultimate Ability - Midnight, from my personal opinion, always use this in order to help your team, not to help yourself. You will waste big opportunities if you use this only for yourself. I always use this ability when we are nearing the capture of the objective, when we are near the enemy base with the payload, when we are being attacked from all directions, when we are all together planning a surprise attack and when the enemy is in a large group at any part of the map (mostly at the objective platform or at the payload).

However there is a very special case where I won't use the ability for any of those scenarios...and that is when playing casual and the enemy team has a Maeve on their side. Instead I will rather wait for their Maeve to activate it first and then immediately I would activate mine, this prevents both teams from having an advantage. The only time when this fails is if any of your team members including yourself eliminates their Maeve as she activates it, then you will have activated yours for nothing or in the rare case...if it helps someone.

5) Maeves movement, as a flanker she is highly capable of getting out of a situation when needed. Her prowl allows you to outrun an enemy, dodge obstacles that others can't get around and with the inclusion of the double jump, reach far/ high places. Use it when a second enemy appears and helps your target or when you are after a low health champion. It can also be used effectively to reach a location faster should you need to.

With the inclusion of 'Walk It Off' , you can heal during prowl which for me, helps greatly.

6) Ability Management, prioritize your abilities so that you can make the best use out of them...just like with any other champion. In other words, make sure you use them wisely. There is no point in using prowl just to get to another part of the map for no reason or using your ultimate when your entire team has been eliminated and you are the last one standing. I use Pounce for normal direct damage or if Prowl isn't available, to get out of danger quickly, Prowl for when I'm chasing a low health enemy or as an escape and Nine Lives is used when it's necessary to reset your abilities e.g there's no need to reset when killing a champion with no other threat around you, rather wait for your abilities to cool down normally. All of this this can be achieved through regular play and experience.

More detailed version of my attack strategy - If we split Maeves attack into two parts with part 1 being her first use of Prowl and Pounce and her part 2 being her second use of them after Nine Lives , use your part 1 by Prowling to an enemy and performing either the combo as mentioned in '1)' above or in whatever way as long as you kill/eliminate your enemy, then activate Nine Lives and only use your part 2 Prowl as an escape, not as an attack strategy. (Please take my information on 'Ability Management' into account)

F) Miscellaneous tactics

If low on health, double jump over the enemy if possible (no wall behind, open space area) and either continue the fight by turning around and using combos or activate Prowl and escape.

Use Pounce not only to deal damage but to also dash out of danger, Don't be afraid to waste 500 damage in order to save yourself from a near death situation, the chances of using it is low since you would logically use it if you have used Prowl already or you have an easy escape that Pounce will help you achieve. Also, Pounce can help you reach areas that are otherwise hard to reach such as over walls and hedges (certain maps) or on top of a high area.

Use environmental factors such as props to gain an advantage over your enemy. If being chased through a doorway or around a corner, stay close towards the doorway/ corner on the other side in a way that your enemy should run past you and then decide whether to attack from behind or escape the area.

G) Enemies to look out for..

These are enemies that I've encountered stress with...

Skye - Her invisibility makes it hard to pinpoint her whereabouts but otherwise is capable of being taken out by you in normal play. Her Ultimate is something to watch out for because there are times when prowl will not get you out of the blast radius quick enough.

Evie - Evie's attack is effective being able to take you out with 2-3 blasts, since she has been through many nerfs and what not, I won't discuss too much about her.

Just distract her when possible and be aware of Ice Block, I learnt that escaping after Ice Block is activated is the best option for me.

Any front liner - It's not your job to take them out unless you are contributing with your team, they have large amounts of health and you wouldn't stand a chance alone.

Lian - Two words...Auto Aim. Beside that, nothing else too worrying.

Lex - Recent patches (OB 57) made his rate of fire faster which, in my recent matches, shredded me (I avoided him most of the time).
    My recommendation is to make an escape if your health is below 30%.

Maeve - Your enemy Maeve might read this guide and apply the same strategies to you. XD

Closure

I hope this guide helps all those looking to play her and those who learned something new, again this is all based on my own play style and I don't encourage you to change the way you play yours as every one has their own way of playing.

Also...I know that most if not all information here is rather technical but read carefully and you will understand what I mean:)

Please remember that aim is everything and it contributes to success, unfortunately...aim is something I cannot teach you. It's up to you to practice !

Also, good decision making is what makes any gamer successful.

I might add/ edit some stuff on this guide depending on new changes to the game and new hero's that will be added. Again if there are any people that would like to voice their opinion and suggestions, feel free to do so.

Thanks for your time and have fun in the realm !!!

Guide Version 1.5
    Last edited by emrahkutuk786; 11-14-2017 at 04:47 AM.
    Currently at Mastery 23 with Maeve and growing...(Mastery 21 before OB 58)
    #of Blades
    I will always stand by this champion....
    Raeve + Dreamhack <3
    Kill Compilations/ Life in Paladins: YouTube Channel
    My personal Maeve guide
    Also known as 'ProjectEC97'

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Overdrive 1 year registered Forum Tier 4 Tagger First Class 50000 Experience Points
    not suggesting caut on item shop. bad guide
    날아갈 수 없음 뛰어
    뛰어갈 수 없음 걸어

Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Reasons why I love Lian:
    • Her butt
    • Her personality
    • She attac
    • Her nails
    *Professional support player*

twitch.tv/lianheals

Member Sovereign Prince missy20201's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 Tagger Second Class 3 months registered 10000 Experience Points
    Hey this is pretty nice though! Helps the newbies and gives us an insight to how you play her. Looks good to me!
    I'm a support main

Jenos - Level 9 - 217,716
    Grover - Level 8 - 166,829
    Ying - Level 15 - 141,853
    Seris - Level 9 - 140,847
    Pip - Level 7 - 116,006
    Grohk - Level 6 - 104,265
    Mal'Damba - Level 8 - 71,450 (needs work)

They nerfed Ying again

Time for my inner Grohk main to shine

#UnnerfOzzy

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 3 months registered
    It's an alright Guide..however It may seem indepth but it's basic. There is more to Maeve than what was discussed here. Everything discussed is common knowledge once you play Maeve a few times. No offense, just my opinion.

Member Duke
    Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class 3 months registered Overdrive Forum Tier 3 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauyne View Post
    It's an alright Guide..however It may seem indepth but it's basic. There is more to Maeve than what was discussed here. Everything discussed is common knowledge once you play Maeve a few times. No offense, just my opinion.
    I understand what you mean but there are many on console that are still starting off completely and for those who choose her, I'm hoping they can view this post. And like I said, it's all my play style so not only is it a guide but it voices out the way I play.
    #of Blades
    Raeve + Dreamhack <3
    My personal Maeve guide

Member Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 1000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 3 months registered
    Good job i guess.

Rest in peace my Master Maeve, nr 62 in the leaderboard. Same with all my lost diamonds
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Forum Tier 4 3 months registered 25000 Experience Points
    Put it on steam bro!

I made one, more feedback on steam that on forums
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=933815790
    Flanker with Maeve
    Steam Account
    Unofficial forum discord server
    My Maeve artwork album
    I'm NOT german! Stop asking!

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    I appreciate you taking the time to make this tutorial. There was a point in time where I was a very invested and proficient player when using Maeve, but I've lost my touch after dabbling with both Willo and Evie lately. The video was both helpful and pleasant to watch since I hadn't understood the area you were talking about in the Stone Keep arena. I'm going to practice the dagger, pounce, dagger combination you've suggested in the practice arena and then go to work in casual!

P.S. I admire using experience when providing insight and advice for others. It's as genuine as you can get!

Thank you again!

Member Duke
    Level
    Achievements:
    Guide updated !!

Version 1.2
    Last edited by emrahkutuk786; 08-02-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    #of Blades
    Raeve + Dreamhack <3
    My personal Maeve guide

Member Sovereign Prince Harlequin98's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered Forum Tier 2 Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points
    I don't think I'll ever play Maeve, but great guide.
    Congratulations, you've noticed my post.
    I'm your typical nerdy high schooler; pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm also a chronic gamer who couldn't afford full priced games, a salty Torvald main, and an antisocial logophile. Anyways, it was nice meeting you. I'm sure we'll get along fine. Maybe not, but who cares. Soundcloud?

My Champion Concepts.
    This Guide is dead. RIP.