Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Concept - Karn, The Nightmare (Flank)

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger First Class

Character Concept - Karn, The Nightmare (Flank)

I just woke up with this character concept in my head, so bear with me.

DESCRIPTION

Alright so this character is a flank, sort of a magician-like character. The right side of his face has a mask fused to it; The mask has a single curved horn, and the mask is perpetually grinning. Unlike the rest of his outfit - Which is black and grey/brown - The mask is white like bone, with red and yellow tribal-like markings on it.
    His skin is fairly dark, like a Drow elf. His hair is silvery, and his left eye is a soft violet. However, his right eye is red and glowing, somewhat demonic in appearance to match the mask. He's got goth/punk clothing and dark hair, and his weapons are a pair of ornate gauntlets with clawed fingertips.

A small concept drawing of mine (Forgive the poor quality of the photo; I shall scan the drawing in later and post it properly): https://www.sofurryfiles.com/std/con...re+-+small.jpg

New Art: Here.

BACKGROUND/LORE

Karn grew up in the dark elven community of Mystholme, within the Blackveil forest of the northern woods. Normally nocturnal because the sunlight hurt their eyes and burned their skin, the forest's perpetual darkness allowed them to live more freely. Bioluminescent mushrooms grew from the ebon-wooded trees, giving a soft, cool light, while the fruit of the trees - Crystalline and softly glowing, with a sweet and tangy jelly-like flesh underneath the hard-candy-like shell - Were one of the staple foods, called Moontears.

Karn was known from a young age to be quite a trickster, and his natural agility and charisma lent him very much toward illusions. He studied under Mystholme's shamans and learned to manipulate the shadows, mixing magic with sleight of hand to perform his shows, eventually becoming a traveling magician.

With each new bit of knowledge gained, Karn's talent grew, which drove him to seek more. In between shows, he'd scour the countryside looking for old tomes and elderly magi who wanted to pass on knowledge of their trade.

His life changed, however, when his quest for knowledge, to be the star magician, took a dire turn.

Search through a dark cave one night, he found an old tome with a skull on the front. The cave had been blocked up, and the only reason he'd found it was because he felt the draft. The were bones everywhere, some humanoid, some not, but all of them had runes inked into them - Obviously the work of a mage from the past, which meant the tome he'd found buried beneath some of the bones would have been the mage's spellbook.

When Karn went to leave, he discovered the sun had risen while he was exploring, trapping him within the cave. Cursing himself for losing track of time, he resigned to sleep in the cave until night, since he had no other way of getting out. When he went back to the main chamber of the cave, one of the bones - A broken skull, humanoid in shape, but with a horn coming out of the remaining half of the forehead - Was sitting out in the open, away from the others. Curious, he picked it up and looked it over, his curiosity multiplied when he heard strange whispers coming from the skull.

Deciding that it couldn't hurt to study the skull, he stuck it in his pack beside the book, and went off to sleep among the bones.

When he awoke, his head hurt, and he was dismayed to find that both skull and tome ad vanished while he slept. As his anger grew, so did whispers in the corner of his mind. Cursing the strange cave and all within, he took his things and left, using a spell to shatter the rocky roof, closing the cave off from the world once more.

On the way home, he got nothing but strange looks from those he passed. It was bad enough to be a Drow so far from home, thought suspicious simply for traveling at night rather than during daylight, but for some reason he felt more out of place than ever, and he found himself unable to respond with his ordinarily cheerful attitude. Most of the time, he'd smile and wave, and that would break the tension, or lessen it at the least. Now, however, all he felt was bitter resentment - "Why should I bother? They're just going to hate me for what I am anyway."

When he reached him home, however, he found that his own people looked at him the same way. Angry, he lashed out. "What do you want from me? To crush my dream, steal my fame? Drag me down simply because I've worked hard to achieve what I have?", he screamed at the onlookers in frustration. He then realized that those that cowered before his anger had awakened something within him that he'd never felt before - Twisted satisfaction.

It wasn't long before the city council summoned him, the same tutors who had set them down the path to greatness. His family were there waiting for him when he arrived, only for him find the same shunning, horrified looks on their faces. His mother began to cry and his father refused to look at him. His anger rose. "Why have my own people turned against me? What did I do to deserve these reviling looks you give me? Have I not made you proud, become the star you always wanted me to be?"

One of the village elder grabbed him and pulled him away, about to give him a stern talking to, when beyond the man's shoulder, Karn saw his reflection in a mirror on the wall. Respect thrown to the wind, he ran over to the mirror to look closer, and discovered the same skull that had vanished was now on his face, and beneath it that his left eye had gone from a soft violet to a blazing red, with a pupil like a cat's. He tried and tried to pry it off, fear and anger welling in him - Knowing his own curiosity had caused this, brought upon him the dread of all his kin. Tears ran down his face and his eyes burned, the red eye and the runic markings on the mask glowing.

He turned back to the others, who all bore worried, afraid expressions, and despite the feelings that welled up inside him - Sorrow and fear, pain and guilt - A laugh escaped his lips, in a voice that was not his own. For while the right side of his face showed his emotions, the skull just grinned, and mixed with his pain, Karn felt sick pleasure burning in his heart.

Now, banished from his homeland, Karn wanders once more, still a traveling magician. But rather than using his tricks to entertain and inspire, he uses his talents to startle his audience, inspiring only fear that he feeds upon. Finding that the rush is bigger when he feeds on the fear of stronger victims, Karn has traveled to Crosswind Hold, fabled for the heroes that travel there. And while Karn is far from a hero, the Nightmare he has become is a Champion of Fear.

ABILITIES

Health: 2200

Movespeed: 380

Mechanic: Figments - Some of Karn's abilities spawn duplicates of himself. These Figments have 500 health and move away from Karn at top speed.

Left-Click: Shadow Claws -
    "Scream for me~"
    "Oooo, I like how this one squirms."

His main attack, effective out to medium range, Karn claws at the air in the direction of his enemy, shadowy talons forming around his clawed gauntlets are he does so. The character is hitscan, and when the attack hits, little anime-style clawmarks appear in the air on the target. The ability deals 300 direct damage, one attack every 0.25 seconds, and has six ammo - Three attacks with each claw, essentially.

Reload: Shadow Slip -
    "All aboard! Next stop, your personal hell~"
    "Here, have a... thing. Whatever."

Reloading triggers an effect called Shadow Slip, spawning a Figment for 4s. During your 2s reload, shadows seep from your gauntlets, turning you invisible and granting you 20% movement speed. All other skills except From Shadow break this stealth, and halt the reload. Shadow Slip, both the stealth and Figment components, can only trigger once every 3s.

Right-Click: From Shadow -
    "BOO! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
    "FEAR THE SHADOWS, DAYWALKER!"

When you use this ability, Karn dashes forward in a 15-unit line, becoming untargetable for the duration and passing through enemies. Enemies you pass through are Feared for 1s, moving away from you. This ability has a 6s cooldown, but can only be used when invisible.

F Key: Mirror Step -
    "Wrong reality, WRONG REALITY!"
    "...Apparently that was the bottle of nightmares, not the healing potion..."

Using this ability spawns 5 Shadow Duplicates of Karn within 10ft. This ability lasts for 6 seconds, during which Karn and the illusions gain a 40% bonus to movement speed. This ability has a 12s cooldown.

Q Key: Lights Out -
    "GoodniiiiiOH. Wrong line."
    "Now you see me, now... You don't~"

This ability is a long-range, single-target blind. This restricts the vision of the chosen target to a 30ft radius for 2s. It shows you which target you will blind by putting red brackets over the foe, similarly to Tyra's Hunter's Mark ability. The range is very long, allowing you to blind a sniper from across the map if you have line of sight. This ability has a 16 second cooldown.

Ultimate: Phantasmal Killer -
    "Welcome to the SHOW, HAHAHAHAHA!"
    "What's the matter? Afraid of the DARK? HAHAHAHAHA!"

During his ultimate, Karn becomes his title - A nightmare. You can't see nightmares nor touch them, but they sure can harm you - And in that vein, during his ultimate, Karn becomes invisible and untargetable for 6 seconds, like Seris' Shadow Walk. The difference here is that Karn can still attack and use skills during Phantasmal Killer, without breaking the invulnerability or stealth.

CARDS

LEGENDARY CARDS

• Bump in the Night (From Shadow) (Level 2) - You now remain invisible and untargetable for 2s after From Shadow ends.

• Reflections (Mirror Step) (Level 8) - During Mirror Step, you gain crowd control immunity and heal for 200 each second.

• Banshee's Whisper (Phantasmal Killer) (Level 1) - Phantasmal Killer lasts 4 seconds longer. During the ultimate, your weapon attacks do not consume ammo.

• Phantom Of The Stage (Shadow Slip) (Level 12) - Instead of activating on your reload, Shadow Slip activates for 1s after each attack you make, but the time between attacks is increased to 0.75s. Attacks and most skills no longer break stealth, but your reload and From Shadow do.

• Spectre's Kiss (Weapon) (Level 16) - Each time you land an attack, the target gains a stack of Beshadowed. When this reaches 6 stacks, all stacks are comsumed and the target is blinded (As per Lights Out) for 2s. After the blindness ends, they are immune to Beshadowed for 10/9/8/7/6s.

• Wraithform (Shadow Slip) (Level 20) - While in stealth, you have a 30% chance to outright ignore each instance of damage or status effect you are subjected to (Including reveals).

• Ghastly Horde (Shadow Duplicates) (Level 24) - Your Shadow Duplicates now attack targets while active, dealing 250 damage to the nearest target every 0.5s. These attacks count as weapon attacks.

OTHER CARDS

From Shadow:

• Umbral Visage - EPIC - Increases the duration of from Shadow's fear effect by {0.2s | 0.2s}.

• Legerdemain - RARE - From Shadow generates {2 | 1} ammo.

• Startle - COMMON - From Shadow reveals nearby enemies for {0.6s| 0.6s} even through stealth.

• Fear Eater - COMMON - Heal for {75 | 75} over 3s for each target hit by From Shadow.

• Ineluctable Terror - COMMON - Increase the distance of From Shadow's dash by {5 | 5} units.

• Weak With Fear - RARE - Targets hit by From Shadow deal {7% | 7%} less damage to you for 5s. This card has a 12s internal cooldown.

Mirror Step:

• Splintered Gaze - COMMON - Activating Lights Out reduces the cooldown of Mirror Step by {1s | 1s}.

• Twisted Likeness - RARE - Increase the speed bonus granted by Mirror Step by {10% | 10%}.

• Reckless Finale - COMMON - When an illusion is killed by a foe, gain {2 | 1} ammo.

• Curtain Call - COMMON - Heal for {50 | 50} for each remaining illusion when Mirror Step ends.

• Bow Out - RARE - When an illusion is destroyed, gain {1% | 1%} ult charge.

• Encore - COMMON - Mirror Step lasts {1.2s | 1.2s} longer and the Figments have {100 | 100} more health.

Lights Out:

• Ravensong - EPIC - The duration of the blindness is increased by {0.5 | 0.5} seconds.

• Voice in the Dark - COMMON - Kills reduce the cooldown of Lights Out by {20% | 20%}.

• Now You See Me - COMMON - Each time you're damaged while not in stealth, the cooldown of Lights Out is reduced by {0.4s | 0.4s}.

• Now You Don't - RARE - You gain {15% | 15%} increased movement during the blind effect of Lights Out.

• Shot In The Dark - EPIC - Your weapon attacks deal {5% | 5%} more damage to the target of Lights Out while the blind is in effect. However, the target deals {2% | 2%} more damage to you during the effect.

• In The Spotlight - RARE - The target of Lights Out is revealed to you and allies for {1.2s | 1.2s}.

Weapon/Armor:

• Weapon: Binding Shadows - RARE - Targets damaged by your weapon attacks are slowed by {5% | 5%} for 1s.

• Armor: Fleeting Dreamer - COMMON - The movement speed bonus granted by your stealth is increased by {5% | 5}.

• Armor: Escape Artist - COMMON - Gain {14% | 14%} CC reduction.

• Armor: Smoke and Mirrors - EPIC - Your reload time is increased by {1s | 0.5s}.

• Armor: Larger Than Death - COMMON - Gain {50 | 50} health.

• Weapon: Unending Nightmare - COMMON - Your ammo count increases by {2 | 1}.

DEFAULT LOADOUTS

Basic Karn: Ravensong, Fleeting Dreamer, Now You See Me, Now You Don't, Fear Eater.
    Shadowdancer: Smoke And Mirrors, Twisted Likeness, Curtain Call, Escape Artist, Fleeting Dreamer.
    Night Terror: Umbral Visage, Legerdemain, Fear Eater, Voice In The Dark, Startle.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

If you have any suggestions, questions or other comments, please, by all means, post them. I wanna hear feedback on this character.
    Last edited by Rystil; 03-22-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Updated for OB 68. STOP CHANGING THE GAME DAMMIT.

Beta Player Baron
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I am so surprised someone could go through all this work and no one have the morality to at least say good job
    BTW Good Job
    I am surprised at how you made this turn out (though I never seen it before) you definitely did very well and tried this hard considering ' Trainmaggedon' has JUST been NOTICED BY HIREZ obviously the best Fan Base around...
    Not poking anyone just saying you probably put a lot of time in because you found it fun (Probably, hope your not in a torture basement of hires being forced to talk to us) and this is good, basically.
    Saying all this I only started paladins in the last week of closed beta.

And hope you like being my hundredth Comment.
    But mainly this was to keep it at the top...
    Last edited by DiVeRsE_CarbonZ; 07-03-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    What's this?
    Okay theirs one thing you need to know about me... I'm Dumb

My Concepts

my youtube

Level
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger First Class
    XD Thank you, first and foremost. I do try to put a lot of thought into my concepts, and I'm glad someone noticed. I'll admit, I was disappointed this thing has 55 views at current and yet nobody had so much as said it was passable; Yet again, thank you. I do quite enjoy being your hundredth comment; Thanks again :P

And yeah, I spent an hour typing this guy up and then two or three hours drawing the bust that I drew. And I do find it fun, but I find it disconcerting that the community loves that train concept and other similar random, nonsensical concepts, but overlooks the more serious concepts entirely XD

I joined when Mal'Damba was the newest champion; Whichever patch he was released.

Level
    Achievements:
    It's been almost a week, so. Bump.

Level
    Achievements:
    I'm thinking of entering this character into Joshino's character concept contest. Do you think it's worth a shot?

Beta Player Sovereign Prince PWNDdotcom's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class Forum Tier 3 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Rystil View Post
    I'm thinking of entering this character into Joshino's character concept contest. Do you think it's worth a shot?
    Considering it doesn't have art, no.
    Thank you for not ruining the main part of Terminus. If this is how balancing is going to go, with specifically targeting the main complaints within PTS, I'm excited for what the future holds.

#TakeOffKogasShirt

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    You only have 1 damage skill, LMB. You think it will work?
    An alien

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by PWNDdotcom View Post
    Considering it doesn't have art, no.
    It has art. There's a direct link to a drawing I did ages ago. The art was /IMG'd in but the URl expired and the new one seems to be entirely too big, so it's just a link. I'm also drawing a full-body art as we speak.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by evamonstar View Post
    You only have 1 damage skill, LMB. You think it will work?
    Evie only has one damage skill, which is her LMB. She has mobility, utility and defensive capabilities. Plus, he can put out 1600 damage in 1s, every 2s, which can be increased to 4s with Smoke and Mirrors or reduced to 0.8s with Deft Hands. He also has a legendary that gives him infinite ammo during his ultimate, allowing him to put out 16,000 damage over the course of 10 seconds, provided all attacks land. Most of his power lies in crowd control and being able to confuse enemies. I DID, however, consider causing the illusions he spawns to attack at a reduced damage rate before they expire.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rystil View Post
    It has art. There's a direct link to a drawing I did ages ago. The art was /IMG'd in but the URl expired and the new one seems to be entirely too big, so it's just a link. I'm also drawing a full-body art as we speak.
    I have added new art.