Thread: Cauterize balance / counter card

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered 500 Experience Points

Lightbulb Cauterize balance / counter card

As a tank/support player, I know how hard is to stay in the middle considering 3-4 people shooting at you, especially against cauterize and wrecker.

Now, wrecker isn't too bad. Okay, shield insta-kill, but champs like fernando or ash or makoa have a large health pool, which helps. Can't say the same about Barik, sadly.

But cauterize is quite unbalanced. It basically nullifies the support class as soon as it reaches level 3, and played on an hitscan champ such as viktor, grohk or ruckus means an eternal cauterize.

I've been thinking about this and discussed with some friends, and these are the two options:

1) A cauterize nerf/rework. Maybe 20/40/60% is a bit extreme, but I want to render the idea. This, or having the caut 3 still being around 60% but having longer duration.

2) A counter-item, like resilience is a cc counte: It would reduce the debuffs effects (maybe 20/40/60 or around that, I don't want op items). I'd set the item in the "defense" category, just because I'd avoid a combo of resilience and this thing, sounds too good. And it'd help with other debuffs, not only against cauterize.

So... let me know what you think about it.
    It feels insane how a single item can obliterate a whole class.
    Front Lines:
    Barik, Fernando, Makoa, Ruckus

Supports:
    Grover, Ying, Grohk, Mal'damba, Seris

Flank
    Damage

Yes, I do care about my team

Member Sovereign Prince CatManDude's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered 5000 Experience Points
    A counter-item, like resilience is a cc counter: It would reduce the debuffs effects (maybe 20/40/60 or around that, I don't want op items)
    Would be nice to have a way to negate cauterize a bit. Whether it be buffing Reslience (if it doesn't already negate cauterize, cause I keep hearing it does and doesn't) or just adding a new card.

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points Forum Tier 3 3 months registered
    20/40/60 is actually perfect. This should be brought to hirez' attention as cauterize destroys 2 classes at once
    It's not easy being blue,
    BUT ITS WORSE TO BE YOU AHAHAHAHEM

#buffbarikback #buffgrohkback

Frontline- Barik, Ruckus, Fernando
    Support- Grohk, Ying, Pip
    Damage- Viktor, Cassie, Drogoz
    Flank- Andoxus, Lex, Skye

Member Sovereign Prince CatManDude's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 3 3 months registered 5000 Experience Points
    cauterize destroys 2 classes at once
    It just seems to destroy a bunch of abilities that characters have. It practically seems to remove the main purpose of supports, pretty sure it makes Ying's ult and Grover's ult practically useless as well.

Rest in peace my Master Maeve, nr 62 in the leaderboard. Same with all my lost diamonds
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Closed Beta Tester Overdrive Forum Tier 4 3 months registered 25000 Experience Points
    Cauterize is ok u moron.
    (Im sup and tank main too)

Hit gud
    Last edited by EinMeister; 06-12-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: GIT GUD U MORON
    Flanker with Maeve
    Steam Account
    Unofficial forum discord server
    My Maeve artwork album
    I'm NOT german! Stop asking!

Member Esquire
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Closed Beta Tester 500 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Forum Tier 2
    Healing at beginning of a match is just as devastating as the lack of heal in the end game. Cauterize scale 30/60/90 is balanced because extremely good healers can make their allies live forever. The counter item would be rejuvinate, unfortunately it's only 10/20/30, but if it would be any higher than that it would break the game again, since cauterize would become the only choice for offensive items.

Don't get me wrong, I know very well the struggle of healers and front lines, but most likely if the opponents are full cauterize, you will get the chance to use your shield and take a couple of seconds to heal up. So front lines and healers would require a lot of coordination to counter cauterize.

Member Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester
    Rejuvenate can act like this:
    Per rank -
    Increase 10% of Healing received by other players. (not cauterized)
    Negate 10% of Cauterize effects on yourself. (cauterized)

Its impossible to save a tank champ if there is (for example) a Fernando burning all people in his front with Cauterize III.

Member Esquire
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 250 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester 3 months registered
    I proposed my ideas about balance changes here, if you want to have my point of view. → http://forums.paladins.com/showthrea...-the-ITEMS-⚔
    And cauterize NEEDS a nerf.
    Scientists have proved that 7,491,306,745 people in the world were lazy to read this number

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Tagger First Class Forum Tier 2 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechdragon View Post
    As a tank/support player, I know how hard is to stay in the middle considering 3-4 people shooting at you, especially against cauterize and wrecker.

Now, wrecker isn't too bad. Okay, shield insta-kill, but champs like fernando or ash or makoa have a large health pool, which helps. Can't say the same about Barik, sadly.

But cauterize is quite unbalanced. It basically nullifies the support class as soon as it reaches level 3, and played on an hitscan champ such as viktor, grohk or ruckus means an eternal cauterize.

I've been thinking about this and discussed with some friends, and these are the two options:

1) A cauterize nerf/rework. Maybe 20/40/60% is a bit extreme, but I want to render the idea. This, or having the caut 3 still being around 60% but having longer duration.

2) A counter-item, like resilience is a cc counte: It would reduce the debuffs effects (maybe 20/40/60 or around that, I don't want op items). I'd set the item in the "defense" category, just because I'd avoid a combo of resilience and this thing, sounds too good. And it'd help with other debuffs, not only against cauterize.

So... let me know what you think about it.
    It feels insane how a single item can obliterate a whole class.
    The whole game is built around Cauterize or else healers would be OP and need to do much less healing.
    What I suggest it to make Cauterize cost 350 per level and decrease the costs of some other items so it will be one of the most expensive items.

For Example:
    All blue cards cost 250
    All Green cost 300 (buff veteran and rejuvenate)
    Yellow cost 250 (morale and master riding) and 400 (buffed nimble and chronos)
    Red cost 250 (bulldozer, nerfed wrecker) and 350 (cauterize and buffed dift hands)

So if cauterize cost more than most items but it also remains strong then it will be balanced.
    We can't mess with cauterize's strength because we will need to change all heals in game.
    HOW TO BALANCE
    >>>SKYE<<<
    WELL THOUGHT IDEAS

Member Baronet
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 2 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    cauterize doesn't need a nerf seeing how shield and healing is really powerful in early game and with the low TTK, tanky should be shut down fast enough and the blue item like haven and blast shield is really have impact at increasing the TTK of tanky champion which makes them harder to kill and will make the DD take a risk being outbursted by enemy team who focus them because they deny all the work the damage dealer done and DD don't have much time to gain snowball. and for those who say cauterize deny support and frontline, you should know support and frontline have fair damage to kill DD and flanker, so you need to work hard like support should heal frontline when cauterize wear off(cauterize is the highest healing reduction with lowest duration trade off) so it's not difficult to hold enemy auto attack with shield or deployable.