Thread: Afk system , replacing afk players.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points Closed Beta Tester

Afk system , replacing afk players.

Hello , saw this thing on many games and i was wondering if you guys could do such thing to make the game experience better. Since there will be more and more afkers as the game will grow , i think it would be nice an afk system.
    How it works: After being afk for over 2 minutes the player will be automatically kicked out of the game in the meanwhile someone else joins , for example someone who is looking for a game. During these 2 minutes the player will receive a kick notification at minute 1 , saying that he will be kicked in 1 minute if he/she/it will not click "Ok". Another idea is to make players be able to kick someone from the game, if the player is afk/feeding/harassing , the players could decide to kick him with a vote , like Smites surrender vote, with 4 votes the player will be kicked. I think this could make every ones life better.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    Problem is, if a player is afk over 2 mins - the game is over 99% of the time.

Maybe some kind of queue penalty can be implemented to make them think twice about joining a game and AFK. 30 mins should do it. And a motion detection system to detect AFK kick them and ban them for repeated AFK, much like LoL now.

Beta Player Recruit
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    There are bigger problems with having someone come in and "fill" for an AFK (a person I will call the "filler" in this post):

1) What if the match is already more-or-less lost? That sucks for the filler.
    2) Does the filler get to choose to join an ongoing game or are they just thrown into it? If they get to choose, then how would you encourage people to actually join the match? (Possibly give a Champion's chest to that player, win or lose.)
    3) Does the filler get to choose their own champion, or are they stuck with the one that the afk person had?
    4) Does the filler start at the same level as the current players? It could seem unfair to the enemies if the person comes in too strong, and it wouldn't really solve the issue if the filler comes in too weak.

This type of thing has been done before, sometimes successfully. But there are a lot of considerations that must be made before implementing it.

Super Moderator Marquess dmantakae's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    Closed Beta Tester Forum Tier 4 Veteran 25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    GA had a backfill system, so HR isn't new to the concept.

But the main problems are A) You're forcing someone to play a select character that they had no part in choosing. and B) the level up system. (Which are the same reasons why they never added a backfill system to smite)
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Wondering why a thread was closed or deleted? Check out the Forum's Code of Conduct.