PDA

View Full Version : Paladins' needs a soled story.

SoulReaper888
06-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Ok guys I want to get real on this topic.

Paladins is awesome. The game play is fun, fast and looks bad ass as all hell, but it lacks a certain appeal. The biggest threat (if you could call it that) to the paladins player base is Overwatch, not because of game play and content so much as it has one bad ass story to it that makes a player feel important and inspires him or her to keep playing.

While Paladins has some interesting backstory for each character it has absolutely 0 drive to the whole of the story. People simply fighting for the sake of gold or being the best, frankly, isn't good enough. That being said, I can see why people would say story isn't that key in a online FPS and I'll admit to you having a point, but story is what drives conflict, setting up a good premise as to why people fight and why there are two sides is key to any game play.

Now I also feel like this should be a highlight: Characters need interacting stories. having two people who know each other and hate each other adds so much flavor to story and community it's amazing. and making some trailers for the promotion of the game would help a lot to get a buzz going, although I realize the funding for that in a free game would be 0 at best so I can't really add that in here.

I feel that these two points need to be looked at by Hi-Rez before the game goes out of beta. I respect this company immensely after playing smite for so long but this time around there are no myths to piggy back a story on, the foundation needs some serious attention and I hope they give it. If you feel my point is terrible or a load of bullshit please feel free to retort it, controversy is the essence of society and a very good story and if you feel like I missed something please feel free to add. Have a GG guys!

PS. sorry for the horrid spelling.

ZionPulse
06-03-2016, 06:45 PM
*Solid (Yes it is horrid spelling, sorry:(.)

R0dium
06-03-2016, 10:11 PM
I actually agree with this. I feel that making a character relatable is equal parts story as much as personality and i think Paladins has a lot of really fun and humorous personalities but they only have a few with backstory and drive. The most notable example that I can think of is Grohk's story. most people i watch on twitch that play Paladins never knew about his story and actually like it and get the humor in it.

I think they should put the current stories back on the main website or somewhere more visible than just the wikia page(that's the only place i know they have them on atm but i've recently established that i am blind :P) for those characters. though i am sure more backstories would be put off for later due to more important projects, it would be nice to know more about the newer characters as well.

And assigning an in depth story for the world of Paladins would be awesome. the characters themselves don't have to intertwine their stories necessarily but having a common enemy or cause is always a good thing in a story and a game is essentially a story you are a part of.

GrayVulpes
06-04-2016, 06:35 PM
The game is changing so rapidly right now, that locking in back stories and lore for good is a bit risky. Not only is Hi-Rez planning another card system overhaul in a couple of weeks, but they are still changing champion abilities all the time - which should really be ironed out and finalized before any concrete stable lore can be made. In the meantime, it's not exactly a priority right now, for the same reasons mentioned above.

But I definitely agree. We need more stories.

As of the moment, all that is really know about Paladins is that a bunch of champions have gathered at Crosswind Hold to find ... something .... that even the champions themselves may not even be aware of. Each champion possesses a gem of sorts, that they've affixed somewhere either on themselves, their clothing, or on their weapons. Perhaps an unknown source has drawn them subconsciously to this place by means of fate? Furthermore, there has been no mention of what a "Paladin" is yet - other than that they were a set of 12 or so warriors in Europe that may have served under Roland or Charlemagne.

Also. Cassie sometimes jokes in-game that they "are in a fort being [sieged] by [goblins] and [(monsters? skeletons? something?)] and that [she] brought a bow and arrow". This probably doesn't mean anything - but who knows?

The lore is coming. Eventually.

BrandonB207
06-08-2016, 02:57 AM
Ok guys I want to get real on this topic.

Paladins is awesome. The game play is fun, fast and looks bad ass as all hell, but it lacks a certain appeal. The biggest threat (if you could call it that) to the paladins player base is Overwatch, not because of game play and content so much as it has one bad ass story to it that makes a player feel important and inspires him or her to keep playing.

While Paladins has some interesting backstory for each character it has absolutely 0 drive to the whole of the story. People simply fighting for the sake of gold or being the best, frankly, isn't good enough. That being said, I can see why people would say story isn't that key in a online FPS and I'll admit to you having a point, but story is what drives conflict, setting up a good premise as to why people fight and why there are two sides is key to any game play.

Now I also feel like this should be a highlight: Characters need interacting stories. having two people who know each other and hate each other adds so much flavor to story and community it's amazing. and making some trailers for the promotion of the game would help a lot to get a buzz going, although I realize the funding for that in a free game would be 0 at best so I can't really add that in here.

I feel that these two points need to be looked at by Hi-Rez before the game goes out of beta. I respect this company immensely after playing smite for so long but this time around there are no myths to piggy back a story on, the foundation needs some serious attention and I hope they give it. If you feel my point is terrible or a load of bullshit please feel free to retort it, controversy is the essence of society and a very good story and if you feel like I missed something please feel free to add. Have a GG guys!

PS. sorry for the horrid spelling.

Yeah I would love backstories for each character!

SoulReaper888
06-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Yeah I would love backstories for each character!

Apparently all of them do have backstories but the only place I have been able to find any are on some release videos. The devs kind of touch on them there like Androxus'.

I can see GrayVulpes' point. I believe we will have good stories once all the abilities are ironed out and the system is finalized, but the problem I find is that the game is now so widely open to the public with keys being available just by liking on Facebook and subbing on YouTube that they are already inspiring the mentality of "who gives a shit about a story I just want to blow up stuff," in the player base.

Though it is impossible to actually tell how this will affect the game as a whole in the future, I don't feel like it will be all that good.