PDA

View Full Version : Hey all, TheRancor here!

therancor
11-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey everyone, my name is TheRancor, or you could call me by my first name.. Mike.

My gaming history: I got into gaming when I was a young lad, maybe around 12-ish?(around 12 years ago and prior to that, I was always tinkering around with PCs in general)
My first game I ever played and what started my gaming career was Team Fortress Classic. I played the ever loving sh*t out of that game, for years.
I then got into Diablo 2 with all of my friends, and we all played that for years, and into the expansion. Great game back in the day..
Then I migrated into Counter-Strike around the 1.3 patch era in late 2001. I continued to play all the games for years, those were the days for TFC/CS... pre-steam.
Then in 2004 around Christmas time, it was WoW that got me going... Yeah I was there from the beginning, good ole vanilla WoW. Played that for years as well kind of swapped back and forth a lot when I would get bored of one, I'd go to another.
Those are my core games that got me through my childhood, and made me the gamer I am today. I still to this day play a variant of CS.. CS:GO, and I still catch my self for ole time sake logging a couple hours every now and again of TFC, sadly TF2 is just not the sequel I wanted, and I of course still occasionally put a month or two into my WoW account when I am bored as well as Diablo 3:ROS.
So given where my roots lie, and my gaming history, and that I have also played Smite a pretty fair amount, it is easy to see why I hold FPS games near and dear to me. This is why I am completely excited for games like this.

About me: I suppose I can sort of tell you a bit about me as a person and all that fun stuff.
So as I said above, I started gaming at an early age, and due to certain circumstances I was raised essentially by my grandparents, meaning they definitely didn't understand the concept of wanting to sit in one place for hours on end instead of going outside and playing. Given I did and still do have what I find to be a fair balance between in-door playing and out-door playing.
So it was kind of a split house, my dad(grandpa) was more of the hardcore guy who did everything he could so we could have what we wanted, and just plain ole never understood PCs or my need to be around them so much.
My mom(grandma) was the opposite, she encouraged me to be myself and do what made me happy, she always was my voice of reason for my dad. Sadly my mom passed away on Christmas in 2006, and I then had my father, who admittedly did a wonderful job of changing his life around to support both roles in the family.
A couple years down the road in 2008-2010 I was very close to being able to move out and support myself, I was dating, had friends that I went out with every weekend, you know the high school life with a car type thing.
I was a senior in high school in 2010, and it was becoming time for me to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. This was an extremely easy choice for me and one that I have never ever changed. I had ALWAYS wanted to do something with computers. Generally speaking through my early gaming years, I figured out how to run servers out of my house, and how to write addons for games, etc. Just very heavily into the server/networking world as a younger me.
That passion as I said; never died, I went to college after high school strictly for Networking. When I was in college I met a professor that was super cool and actually gave me my first experience with the Linux side of house. After that I was building webservers, vpn servers, DNS, DHCP servers, even an AD server on linux, again just for fun and because it interested me. This professor and I always kept in contact even after I graduated.
After I graduated I got my first job that wasn't fast-food, sadly it was not in my field either. I essentially worked in a group home, for mentally ill. This was actually a lot better for me than I thought it would be. It taught me a lot about mental illness and how to help people who have it cope with it. I got to help people and it helped me a lot.
One day I seen an internal posting for an IT Position and I was like, "Where do I sign up??" Long story short, I got that job and worked it almost 2 years but it was essentially Desktop support and not where I wanted to end up in life. During my time there my professor contacted me about a position opening at his place of work a huge south eastern company, doing networking.
I was in a relationship at the time for around 4-5 years at this point, and we were living together. So I asked her what she thought about it, as it was around 2 hours away from where we currently lived and would require a move. She said sure, and we actually got married, moved, and I got a new job all within 2 weeks(this was after a crazy hard interview where my dress pants were a size too small, and weeks upon weeks of waiting for a job off). All I have to say is that I am glad that all three of those things are over because they are some of the most stressful times in life, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
So now, I am 24 about to be 25 in February(yay lower car insurance), living where I moved to, with my wife, and our two annoying cats. I have my dream job, I still play my games, I still have a life outside of them(family visits, wife activities, vacations, etc..), and generally speaking I am pretty happy.

Some words of wisdom from a younger guy: You CAN be happy and be a gamer, you CAN be married and be a gamer, you CAN be successful and be a gamer(from a non-streamer perspective), you CAN do what makes you happy in life and still love video games. One of my other professors at college(who helped me out a ton as well) once told me something and I will take this advice to the grave with me; he said, "People are going to tell you no because it's easy for them, you need to find the people in your life that can/will say yes." This applies to almost everything, be it a job, a relationship, or even family. Find those people in your life that have always said that you "Yes, you can!" keep them close.

Sorry if this was a mess to read, or too long but I figured I would interject myself into this community as fully as I can. This could be too much information and if it is I apologize, but I do hope some people get something out of it.

TL;DR: Started gaming as a young boy, FPS games were my main passion, parents split on my whole gaming thing, continued gaming through my younger years into high school, got dream job, got married, have my own place, still gaming to this day. Pretty happy with life. Last section is just a "do what you love, and you'll find happiness" type speech.