PDA

View Full Version : Give Grohk's Ultimate Damage Redux

Atlecx
03-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Right now, it's not a great ult and Grohk is defenseless during it. Even something like 50% damage redux would go a long way to make it more viable

SnowzStormz
03-08-2017, 12:27 PM
I seen someone suggest that he be in a ghostwalk state while in the ult. That would make his ult great

RuceBandall
03-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Right now, it's not a great ult and Grohk is defenseless during it. Even something like 50% damage redux would go a long way to make it more viable

+1, can't agree enough with this. Its too easy to focus fire on a Grohk using his ult as it stands, even with a healing totem under him since it can be killed relatively easily.

Rekt2G
03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
His ult turns him into a totem LOL he gets totally destroyed and it's sad, not even the ghost walk legendary card actives during his ult.

Huttmunkkeeeys
03-08-2017, 02:37 PM
I don't think he should get any damage reduction. The thing about his Ult is knowing when and where to use it. I can't tell you how many times I see a Grohk run if front of his team and pops his Ult to kill enemies, only to be focused down in less then a second. When you're using his Ult, you want to position yourself so that it's difficult for the enemies to focus you down. An example would be hiding behind the payload when your pushing, or even hiding behind your frontline so he takes the damage for you.

The only change I would make to his Ult is to make it target all players in range instead of only targeting a max of 2.

Ellezard
03-08-2017, 02:56 PM
It's like we forget that his ult also applies a rather heavy slow and a very strong movement speed for a rush down. While he's at his most vulnerable, enemy hit by it are also at their most vulnerable. The ult is ridiculous for pushing advantage on a char like Grohk who can already weaken and destroy the enemy team.

The closest thing to a buff it can probably receive is to make the ult cleanse CC for healed allied as well since we now have a totem legendary to apply CC immunity. However, when we do get that, we will have to nerf his Maelstorm card to make the bounce do less damage.

MarKr
03-08-2017, 04:13 PM
The thing about his Ult is knowing when and where to use it.His Ult actually requires too much of "when and where" when you compare it to other chapms - noone else is with their Ulti so vulnerable and dependent on team mates as Grohk.

I already wrote it somewhere - make the Ulti heal 2 team mates AND Grohk at the same time and it will be fine. Not OP (as it would be with "ghost walk during Ulti") and still possible to counter (with Cauterize or with focusing enough fire power on Grohk).

Wallachia
03-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I was under the impression that Grohk's ult healed every teammate in range AND damaged every enemy in range.

Huttmunkkeeeys
03-08-2017, 05:17 PM
His Ult actually requires too much of "when and where" when you compare it to other chapms - noone else is with their Ulti so vulnerable and dependent on team mates as Grohk.

I already wrote it somewhere - make the Ulti heal 2 team mates AND Grohk at the same time and it will be fine. Not OP (as it would be with "ghost walk during Ulti") and still possible to counter (with Cauterize or with focusing enough fire power on Grohk).

Victor, Drogoz, Tyra, and Ruckus are a few champions that do require knowing when and where to use their ults as they can be dropped quite fast if used incorrectly. I've recently began play Grohk again and I have yet died from using his Ult. As I stated, you just need some teammates there so you aren't focused down. Just like Ruckus, if you ult without the support of your team, you'll be focused quite fast and killed. Same goes for victor(although not as much since his buff), ulting at the wrong spot can easily lead to his death.

It's not that difficult to know when it's a good time to Ult.

BurmaJones
03-08-2017, 05:57 PM
His ult honestly doesn't make that big of an impact. It'd be a lot better if it affected more than 2 enemies/teammates at a time. I have nothing wrong with it requiring specific or cautious usage, but it has marginal tangible benefit. Grohk is typically way more useful doing anything besides his ultimate, that's the issue.

It's not similar to say, his totem, where using it in a bad spot will get it taken out quickly. If he puts it in a good spot or it's protected by teammates, it can do a lot of healing. His ult is just weak even if you use it "well."

Rencalcifer
03-08-2017, 06:12 PM
It's very easy to die while Grohk ulti so yes, it needs some redux or another ultimate that makes him more kinda healing, I'm playing it as dps with very good results.

CandySuxxx
03-08-2017, 06:16 PM
I was under the impression that Grohk's ult healed every teammate in range AND damaged every enemy in range.

You were completely wrong the entire time.

MarKr
03-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Victor, Drogoz, Tyra, and Ruckus are a few champions that do require knowing when and where to use their ults as they can be dropped quite fast if used incorrectly. I've recently began play Grohk again and I have yet died from using his Ult. As I stated, you just need some teammates there so you aren't focused down. Just like Ruckus, if you ult without the support of your team, you'll be focused quite fast and killed. Same goes for victor(although not as much since his buff), ulting at the wrong spot can easily lead to his death.

It's not that difficult to know when it's a good time to Ult.Drogoz is fast in his ultimate and deals massive damage with it so players usually try to get out of way rather than kill him. Ruckus is static but again deals tons of damage so people try to run. Similar for Tyra and Victor. Of course I am not talking about a situation where there are 3+ enemies and these champs are alone and start Ulti. I am talking about situations where you have team around. These champs are safer with team covering them. But their vulnerability is compensated by solid damage so the opponent needs to make decision:
1) stay, keep shooting and risk death
2) retreat, wait until ulti ends and come back
This is not the case with Grohk. His damage is 200per second for 3 seconds (if im not mistaken) that is 600 damage which is not enough to kill any champion on full HP. Also the Ulti applies slow effect. So the options for opponents in AoE are:
1) try to escape the AoE which will take time because of being slowed down and thus take damage
2) End the Ulti prematurely by killing Grohk who moves slowly and thus is an easy target
Guess which option people usually choose :)

Yes, as Grohk you can (or often must) deploy totem to sustain you during Ulti. But think about the ridiculness (is that a word? :D) of the whole thing - you need to deploy healing totem to heal yourself while you use Ulti that heals people around but doesn't heal you, while the people might as well get just healed by the totem that you deployed anyway. If you just deploy the totem you can in the mean time avoid fire and use other abilities to slow down opponents or escape with Ghost walk or whatever.
Not to mention that the totem can heal extremely fast on its own with the right build AND heals anyone inside, not just two people.

Spacey1
03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
I don't even play Grohk (normally), but I have played him enough to be aware of how bad his ultimate currently is. I'd change it so that it heals all allies in range including him and also damages all enemies, no matter how many there are, who are in range.

I mean, if he's going to recklessly get right into the midst of his enemies and shout, "Surging with power!" he really ought to at least get something for it that makes him not seem like a total liar.

ThatOthell159
03-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Grohk needs a complete ult rework, as it is either overpowered or useless.

MarKr
03-09-2017, 06:31 AM
I don't even play Grohk (normally), but I have played him enough to be aware of how bad his ultimate currently is. I'd change it so that it heals all allies in range including him and also damages all enemies, no matter how many there are, who are in range.The Ultimate should still be unique and this way it will be Grover's Ultimate (heals every one but slower but provides speed buff to allies) in combination with Evie's Ultimate (deals low damage to everyone and debuffs them). I dare to say that HiRez tried to avoid this when they made the Ultimate for Grohk and that is why it only targets two allies and two opponents. Giving him two ultimates in one is really not a good idea I think.

Spacey1
03-09-2017, 08:24 AM
The Ultimate should still be unique and this way it will be Grover's Ultimate (heals every one but slower but provides speed buff to allies) in combination with Evie's Ultimate (deals low damage to everyone and debuffs them). I dare to say that HiRez tried to avoid this when they made the Ultimate for Grohk and that is why it only targets two allies and two opponents. Giving him two ultimates in one is really not a good idea I think.

All I am talking about is improving directly what his ultimate currently does without changing the flavor at all. Consider: Grover doesn't slow down during his, and his healing during it is so insane that it makes him virtually invincible for the duration. Meanwhile, Evie's ultimate is relatively "safe" because she can blink in, cast it, and then blink or fly back out. The risk to each of them when using their respective ultimates is very low.

By contrast, Grohk's ultimate is NOT safe. It slows him, for one, and even if he DID also heal himself, the much lower healing amount compared with Grover means it would still not be safe. Higher risk warrants a higher reward.

Aroxis
03-09-2017, 01:35 PM
You guys do know that you can pop a totem before ulting right......you basically wont die

Wallachia
03-09-2017, 01:51 PM
You were completely wrong the entire time.

My life was a lie.

/Crai

SandCube
03-09-2017, 02:21 PM
You guys do know that you can pop a totem before ulting right......you basically wont die

Then what's the point of the ultimate if you need heal to heal ppl with it? What sort of crooked logic is that?

Ellezard
03-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Remove the MS and Slow from it then if it's going to be a 5-man heal and damage.

DatJaneDoe
03-09-2017, 05:14 PM

I tried playing a round as Grohk and placed the totem under me right before ulting. Died everytime

Compared to other healers, Grohk's ult is the most risky.

Mal'Damba can use his ult from a long range, and affected enemies cannot retaliate.
Pip's ult has no risk as enemies cannot retaliate while turned into Chickens.
Ying's ultimate can be used anywhere, so you don't have to be near your teammates/opponents.
Grover's ult heals himself for 2500/s... yeah hes not dying for the duration.

Grohk's ult however has very notable flaws.

-Compared to Grover, Tempest heals for 40% the amount Whirlwind does every second, and also lasts 40% shorter.

Tempest lasts 3s and heals 1000/s
Whirlwind lasts 5s and heals 2500/s

-The advantage Grohk's ult has over Grover's is the damage and speed modifiers, but these only help while you are surrounded by both teammates and enemies. However...

Tempest grants no self-healing, making it very easy for nearby enemies to kill you. The damage is laughably low, only 200 every 0.5s against up to 2 players for a total of 800 damage per second? Pffft, his main-attack is 850 damage per second!

I suggest changing the ultimate so...
-Healing is also applied to yourself, making Grohk much harder to kill for the duration.
-Damage dealt is doubled, so it's more comparable to his main-hand (800/s per enemy)