PDA

View Full Version : Should the competitive community introduce a card banlist?

TkRapidSloth
12-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm not talking about a MOBA style banlist, but more so a balance and checks style banlist that's ever so prevalent in traditional cardgames like MtG, Yugioh, and the like. Banlists help fight against homogenized and degenerate gameplay in card games (first turn wins, infinite loops, perma stall) and I feel that a community banlist could also help this game out by weeding out degenerate and anti-fun card combos that completely break and invalidate certain characters, making for a much more even playing field for all and a much less stressful environment for players.

To take a page from Smogon's competitive banlist scene, the first 3+ months of gameplay should be dedicated to simply exploring all the gameplay possibilities that certain skill/card combos are available and the impact they have on the unfiltered game. After collecting data, considered overpowered card combos should then be further studied and scrutinized under suspect tests to determine if they're actually banworthy or if there's just effective cards that don't completely break the game. Of course in this state of the game where characters and cards are being reworked regularly, a community nominated banlist would be an exercise in futility, but engaging the community for susceptibility in a collaborative competitive banlist is something I wish to accomplish to fight degenerate anti-fun play and foster a more fun and balanced game state for competitive players to enjoy.

EnceladusEX
12-29-2015, 04:44 AM
yeah, maybe every week ingame starts a big vote "Which cards to bann in ranked"

Of course u have reached the level to play ranked and have played ranked 10games this "season" to vote

Would be my idea.

Banning in the matchlobby would be a bad idea..
i mean - how?
u have a deck and maybe u get 2/3cards banned from this.. after this the game cant start?
Would be kind of stupid.

hendrikyoda
12-29-2015, 04:47 AM
Well dont forget that Yugioh for example can only fix cards by creating new ones. They cant change cards who are being sold. In Paladins the developer can easy nerf/buff cards.

Sinbreed
12-30-2015, 01:49 PM
If you are going to intoduce a banning system for competetive you should prob do it like Leauge of Legends style. Before the match each team gets to bann 3 cards from the enemy team.
Would be the best but with such a low hero pool atm i dont think this is possible.

MULKMULKMULK
12-31-2015, 07:16 PM
No. Just balance the cards. If a card doesn't work, remove it.
Banning will just lead into people in good position whispering to devs to nerf their opponents and buff their own composition.

Levico
12-31-2015, 11:25 PM
I dont think its a good Idea. balancing the cards whould be better in my opinion. and taking out one single Card could make some builds compleatly useless (destroy Cards synergy) for example removing (banning) sow the seed removes the possibilty of playing a lightning rod build.

Kagemitsu
01-02-2016, 06:56 AM
I'd find it more interesting if Hi-Rez monitored the winrate and card usage rate of champions, and nerfed the most popular / high winrate cards whilst buffing the least popular / low winrate cards.

When all cards do something significantly different and are on equal footing then we might get some interesting stuff happening.