PDA

View Full Version : Burn Card Ideas

Vampragon43
02-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Paladins has many different Burn Cards, also known as Items.
However, not all of these Burn Cards are very balanced. On top of that, there are perhaps not enough items in the game for all champions' playstyles.
As such, I have many ideas of how some items should be changed, and what new items could be added.
NOTE: This thread was originally in the "Balance Feedback" sub-forum, but I have reposted it here because I think it fits much better due to its focus on Items/Burn Cards. The name was also changed from "Item Balancing Ideas" to "Burn Card Ideas".
Click here (http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?19502-Item-Balancing-Ideas) for the original thread.

Before I show you all the items, let me explain how this list works: every single item is on this list, even if it is not changed at all. Each item has a tag next to its name, and these tags are:
(UNCHANGED!) -Items that have not been changed. Other than a few which have slight name changes, these items are exactly as they appear in the live version of Paladins.
(BUFF!) -Items that have been strengthened in some way. These items are often considered to be too underpowered in the live version of Paladins.
(NERF!) -Items that have been weakened in some way. These items are often considered to be too overpowered in the live version of Paladins.
(BUFF/NERF!) -Items that have been been both strengthened and weakened. These items have mixed reception from players in the live version of Paladins.
(REWORK!) -Items that have been redesigned. These items are reworked completely to fit a better role than they currently have in the live version of Paladins.
(NEW!) -Items that are completely new concepts which I designed based on various champions' playstyles. These items are not in the live version of Paladins.

Anyways, here are my own ideas that I think could help the game.

Attack Items

Bulldozer(BUFF!): Your weapon shots against enemy deployables deal 65% more damage per tier (formerly 50% more damage per tier).
Cost: 300/600/900 Credits

Cauterize(BUFF/NERF!): Your weapon shots against enemies reduce the effect of healing by 25% per tier (formerly 30% per tier).
The effect of Reduce Healing lasts for 2 seconds (formerly 1.5 seconds).

Wrecker(NERF!): Your weapon shots against enemy shields deal 65% more damage per tier (formerly 75% more damage per tier).

Aggression(REWORK!): Your weapon shots against enemy champions with more relative Health than you (percentage-based) deal 10% more damage per tier.
Aggression is based on your current percentage of Health, not your actual Health value.
(For example, if a Viktor with Aggression has 1100 Health and he hits a Makoa with 1680 Health, he will not gain any damage bonus because he has a higher Health percentage than Makoa. Viktor has 1100 Health, which is 50% of his maximum 2200 Health; but Makoa has 1680 Health, which is only 35% of his maximum 4800 Health)
Cost: 400/800/1200 Credits

Deft Hands(UNCHANGED!): You reload 20% faster per tier.

Trigger Happy(NEW!): Your weapon fires 5% faster per tier.
For Grover, Sha Lin, and Maeve, this instead decreases the weapon animation times by 5% per tier (Grover will throw his axes faster, Sha Lin will draw his bow faster, and Maeve will toss her knives faster).

Immolate(NEW!): Your weapon shots against enemy champions will now burn them, dealing 10% of your weapon shot's damage over 0.3 seconds. The burn duration stacks from successive weapon shots (For example, if a Viktor with Immolate shoots 25 rounds into the same target, the target will burn for a total of 7.5 seconds).
Immolate's damage over time does not reset the combat timer of the user or the enemy. Both the user and the enemy can receive out-of-combat Health regeneration even if the enemy is still taking damage from a previous burn.
Immolate only has 1 tier.
Cost: 750 Credits
You cannot buy Immolate if you already have Life Rip.

Defense Items

Illuminate(UNCHANGED!): The range at which you can see stealthed enemies is increased by 50% per tier.
Additionally, name changed from "Illuminate" to "Illumination."
This change is aesthetic.
Cost: 200/400/600

Resilience(REWORK!): The duration of certain harmful status effects is reduced by 25% per tier.
This affects the following: Disarm, Cripple, Fear, Mark, Polymorph, Root, Silence, Slow, Stun, Attack Speed Slow(Unused), Confusion(Unused), Daze(Unused), Freeze(Unused), Hex(Unused), and Zombie(Unused).
Cost: 300/600/900 Credits (Formerly 200/400/600 Credits)

Blast Shields(BUFF!): Damage taken by area-of-effect attacks is reduced by 8% per tier (formerly 7% per tier).

Haven(BUFF!): Damage taken by single-target attacks is reduced by 8% per tier (formerly 7% per tier).

Immunity(NEW!): The potency of certain harmful status effects is reduced by 25% per tier.
This affects the following: Burn, Poison, Slow, Knockback/Knockup, Attack Speed Slow(Unused), Bleed(Unused), and Daze(Unused).

Unbreakable(NEW!): All of your shields (including those granted from Cards) have 10% more Health per tier.
Unbreakable can only be bought by Front Line champions.

Life Bonds(NEW!): All damage dealt to allied champions within 50 units of you is reduced by 10%, which is instead redirected to you. Life Bonds does not take effect if you have less than 10% of your maximum Health.
Life Bonds only has 1 tier.
Cost: 1000 Credits
Life Bonds can only be bought by Front Line champions.

Healing Items

Kill to Heal(REWORK!): Upon getting a kill or elimination, you regenerate 25% of your maximum Health per tier over a period of time.
The total healing time depends on your current tier of Kill to Heal.
Tier 1: 1 second per 250 healing.
Tier 2: 1 second per 375 healing.
Tier 3: 1 second per 500 healing.
(e.g.: At Kill to Heal tier 1, an Evie regenerates 450 Health over 1.8 seconds; while at Kill to Heal tier 2, an Evie regenerates 900 Health over 2.4 seconds)
Each individual kill or elimination can only restore up to a maximum of 750 Health at tier 1, 1500 Health at tier 2, and 2250 Health at tier 3.
This limit is in place because champions with large Health pools such as Fernando would otherwise heal thousands of their Health for each elimination at only tier 1.

Rejuvenate(UNCHANGED!): All healing received by teammates is increased by 10% per tier.
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits

Veteran(REWORK!): After 4 seconds of being out of combat, you regenerate 5% of your maximum Health every second.
Note that Veteran stacks with the usual out-of-combat healing.
Veteran now only has 1 tier instead of 3.
Cost: 650 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)
You cannot buy Veteran if you already have Agility.

Life Rip(UNCHANGED!): Your weapon shots gain 10% lifesteal per tier.
You cannot buy Life Rip if you already have Immolate.

Grand Adherent(NEW!): All healing granted to teammates ignores 10% of Reduce Healing per tier.
Grand Adherent can only be bought by Support champions.

Stamina(NEW!): All healing that you give to yourself is increased by 10% per tier.
Utility Items

Master Riding(BUFF/NERF!): Your mount moves 40% faster.
Additionally, name changed from "Master Riding" to "Master Rider."
This change is aesthetic.
Master Rider now only has 1 tier instead of 3.
Cost: 400 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)

Morale Boost(BUFF/NERF!): Your ultimate ability charges 25% faster (Formerly 15% faster per tier).
Morale Boost now only has 1 tier instead of 3.
Cost: 750 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)

Nimble(BUFF!): You gain 10% additional Movement Speed per tier. This stacks with other Movement Speed gains (formerly did not stack with other Movement Speed gains).

Chronos(UNCHANGED!): Your skills' cooldowns are reduced by 10% per tier.

Agility(NEW!): After 3 seconds of being out of combat, you gain 20% additional Movement Speed per tier while out of combat. This stacks with other Movement Speed gains.
Agility only has 2 tiers.
Cost: 400/800 Credits
You cannot buy Agility if you already have Veteran.

Acrobatic(NEW!): You jump 20% higher per tier.
Additionally, you also have 10% more air control per tier.
(If you are playing as Drogoz, then this item instead increases the maximum vertical speed and distance of your thrusters by 5% per tier).
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits

Altruist(NEW!): Normally, performing actions for your champion's role rewards more credits than usual. Having Altruist greatly increases the amount of credits gained from performing these actions for your champion's role.
Flank champions gain 80% more credits for eliminations on enemies when they are behind enemy lines.
Damage champions gain 60% more credits for dealing damage to enemy champions.
Support champions gain 40% more credits for healing allies.
Front Line champions gain 20% more credits for standing near an objective.
Altruist only has 1 tier.
Cost: 600 Credits

Thanks for reading this all the way through! I'm sure it must have been kinda like finishing a novel.
Anyways, if you have any ideas, be sure to write them.
Tell me what items you think should be balanced.

QcDiablo
02-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Good ideas.
For me, mostly balance issues.

Immolate
I think the damage should be applied over more time and the time should not be stacked.
Ex : Viktor shooting 10 bullets in 1 second : 3s
Evie shooting 1 bullet in 1 second : 0.3s
My point is that if a tank keeps getting shot by a high rate of fire champion, it will be stuck on fire for a great time, possibly blocking it from exiting the combat stance and so, regenerating. But we don't want to nerf damage dealt by high fire rate.
Also, because Hi-Rez seems to want to keep 3 levels cards, levels could be :
*Make the damage to stack instead.
2% Damage per second for 3s (6% damage over 3s)
3% Damage per second for 4s (12% damage over 4s)
4% Damage per second for 5s (20% damage over 5s)
Could cost 400/800/1200

OR

If the burn doesn't force the combat stance
Make the time stack (just like your idea :D)
5% Damage over 0.3s
10% Damage over 0.3s
15% Damage over 0.3s
Maximum 10 seconds (just not to get stuck on fire for all the game long)
Could cost 400/800/1200

*Would be purchasable with Life Rip (which won't apply to immolate)

Immunity and Tenacity
I think they should be merged, because dividing Crowd Control into 3 categories is too much.
They wouldn't be effective enough and would be hard to understand.

Altruist
I'm not sure about this one... seems interesting, but it doesn't seem balanced.
I don't think a card that increases credit gain would be a good idea.

Other stuff
I think we should stick with 3 tiers upgradable items (burn cards), because it causes more strategic choices and in-game progression.

Flo22
02-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Trigger happy would be great

Vampragon43
02-16-2017, 01:39 PM
So, this thread has been updated. Tenacity has been removed and merged with Immunity.
As QcDiablo said, there should really not be two different cards between similar forms of status effects. The potency reduction now affects both damage status effects (such as Poison and Burn) as well as disabling status effects (such as Slow and Knockback/Knockup).

I appreciate the feedback from everyone.
:)

Mikeomans
03-04-2017, 01:19 PM
I love these ideas, I do think more items like these would throw in some interesting dynamics for sure.

Vampragon43
03-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Hello, everyone! So, today I have made many balance changes to the Burn Cards, as well as changes to the overall quality of the thread itself. Some of the balance changes are made to compensate for nerfs to certain cards. I also reworked Aggression for the second time.
Anyways, here is the list of changes.

Attack Items

Bulldozer(BUFF/NERF!): Increased the bonus damage against deployables and increased the cost of BulldozerBulldozer.
Changed the weapon shot damage bonus against enemy deployables to 65% per tier (formerly 50% per tier); changed the cost to 300/600/900 Credits (formerly 200/400/600 Credits).

With the addition of Inara in the newest patch, Bulldozer has become much more valuable, as her Impasse skill is actually a deployable (not a shield). This will also allow a good counter to Ying rather than the idea of "everyone buy Cauterize."

Cauterize(BUFF!): Increased the duration of Cauterize.
Changed the duration to 2 seconds (formerly 1.5 seconds).

Cauterize has always needed a proper nerf to its healing reduction, and I gave it just that nerf; however, since Cauterize will not be nearly as strong as before, it should have its old duration of 2 seconds rather than its current duration of 1.5 seconds.

Wrecker(NERF!): Decreased the bonus damage of Wrecker.
Changed the weapon shot damage bonus against enemy shields to 65% per tier (formerly 75% per tier).

Let's be honest. Wrecker has needed a nerf for a very long time. It is simply too powerful, even more so now that Bomb King's Demolition legendary card allows him to instantly destroy shields.

Aggression(REWORK!): Aggression has been entirely reworked. Below is the new effect of Aggression:
Your weapon shots against enemy champions with more health than you deal 10% more damage per tier. Aggression is based on your current percentage of health, not your actual health value.
-For example, if a Viktor with Aggression has 1100 health and he shoots a Makoa with 1680 health, he will not gain any damage bonus because he has a higher health percentage than Makoa.
(Viktor has 1100 health, which is 50% of his maximum 2200 health; but Makoa has 1680 health, which is only 35% of his maximum 4800 health)

This is the second time I have reworked Aggression. The original Aggression was just bad, which is why it was removed. My first rework for Aggression was better than the original, but it was also incredibly situational. However, I think that this new rework for Aggression is the one that hits the nail on the head. Basically, you deal more damage to anyone that has a higher health percentage than you. Note that it is percentage-based. This makes it great for all champion roles, rather than just Damage dealers.

Defense Items

Resilience(BUFF/NERF!): Increased the effect of Resilience but it no longer affects Reveal or Reduce Healing.
Changed the status effect duration reduction to 25% per tier (formerly 20% per tier); two status effects (Reveal and Reduce Healing) are no longer affected; updated the description to indicate that Root is no longer an "unused" status effect due to the addition of Grover's Deep Roots legendary card.

Since I nerfed Cauterize, there is no longer any need for my reworked Resilience to actually reduce its duration. There is also no reason for it to reduce the duration of Reveal either. As such, the reduction effect of Resilience has been buffed to compensate for it.

Blast Shields(BUFF!): Increased the damage reduction of Blast Shields.
Changed the area damage reduction to 8% per tier (formerly 7% per tier).

Both Haven and Blast Shields are very useful; but ever since the nerf, they have become much less effective at reducing damage, especially with the addition of many powerful legendary cards, a few of which being Grohk's Maelstrom, Cassie's Big Game, and Tyra's Mercy Kill. This buff to both items will just slightly nudge up their usefulness against heavy damage.

Haven(BUFF!): Increased the damage reduction of Haven.
Changed the direct damage reduction to 8% per tier (formerly 7% per tier).

Both Haven and Blast Shields are very useful; but ever since the nerf, they have become much less effective at reducing damage, especially with the addition of many powerful legendary cards, a few of which being Grohk's Maelstrom, Cassie's Big Game, and Tyra's Mercy Kill. This buff to both items will just slightly nudge up their usefulness against heavy damage.

Additionally; I made one more update to the thread, albeit a small one. I have changed the color of the "(Unchanged!)" tag on each card that uses it. This is because the old color was very light and hard to read.

Comparison:
Name goes here(UNCHANGED!): <-- This is what the original tag color looked like. It was much lighter than the new color and was pretty hard to see.
Name goes here(UNCHANGED!): <-- And this is what the new tag color looks like. It is darker and much easier to see.

Mayahai
03-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Your idea about Resilience is not a rework because Resilience already decreases the duration of these CCs, in fact your idea is actually a nerf.
This video explains perfectly how Resilience works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fkv2B4e4WM

Vampragon43
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Your idea about Resilience is not a rework because Resilience already decreases the duration of these CCs, in fact your idea is actually a nerf.
This video explains perfectly how Resilience works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fkv2B4e4WM

The Resilience rework lies in the types of status effects that it affects. It is also not a nerf because it affects more status effects than the current Resilience.
Before, it would only reduce the duration of movement-impairing crowd control effects. However, this reworked Resilience affects more status effects other than just CC. Mark is an example of a non-CC status effect that is reduced by this rework. Additionally, there are many listed status effects that are currently not in the game. When those status effects are re-introduced, then this rework would affect them as well.