PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Maeve

Alzithe
02-09-2017, 11:50 AM
I've been reading about people complaints on this character and while her numbers don't seem bad at all it seems very much like she, as a champion, is carrying the players that use her. So I decided to study her and get behind it.

I think there's two reasons why she is too good and it's because here knives are too forgiving. I think there is something wrong with the knives but the hitboxes seem strangely large and/or hit way too easily, particularly moving targets. In many kill cams I have often seen Maeve and as playing her, that when a player is not even on my screen, I hit them. It's simply way too easy to hit someone with the knives, thus throwing aiming out of the window, at least partially.

The second reason being that her mobility skill is like Pip's on steroids. Coupled with the fact that knives are easy to hit, then using the hop around "strategies" are very simple because one doesn't run the risk of not hitting the target by moving too much while avoiding shots. It's also a bit too much to have so much air and ground mobility for such a long time, it almost always guarantees an escape unless played really, really bad.

So in conclusion, she is actually not too powerful of a champion, just that her hitbox and mobility skill and maybe bugs are carrying players.

AlphaCultist
02-09-2017, 03:20 PM
In fact all you mentioned-would be enough for Maeve to be too powerful. But it has insane mobility, highest (low-skill based) dps and insane healing. In addition, if Maeve gets shielded-it is too hard to kill her without wrecker. So, even if you have Maeve, you should admit that this is too much.

Alzithe
02-09-2017, 04:59 PM
The mobility is too easy to use to the point that it's like a passive. Most flankers have an instant mobility skill that does one thing or another, so it's only one chance where as hers is a very long buff so it's extremely forgiving unless you keep running against a wall. So yes, I agree her mobility is too much.

Her damage does seem high but I would have thought it could be a compromise scenario with the knives because knives -should- be harder to hit but in fact they are easier to hit than any other weapon despite the "bolt action"

Also the fact that people don't consider is that her own hitbox is very small too which should account for her overall balance.

All in all, I agree she is too strong, both in raw numbers and in competitive numbers where frame data and hitboxes count a lot.

KatangExKanari
02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
maeve is fun champion i must admit its addicted to use her, many people say want to nerf her mobility but i think nerf her mobility maker her less fun to play, she can instant kill almost any damage w/o a chance to fight back

i think she need nerf her damage a little so her combo only deal around 2200 -2300 damage so any damage champ can have a chance to fight with def card, same rule like fight evie (as long she need 3 shot to kill you can fight back)

KicksBrickster
02-09-2017, 10:08 PM
I've said it once or twice now, but I think the best way to nerf Maeve is to increase her skill cap and reduce her damage simulataniously.

In order to do this, I suggest nerfing the dagger's damage to 350 each. However, if both land, Maeve should get 100 points of bonus damage, bringing her maximum DPS to 800. That would punish her for missing shots and still nerfs her damage, but she doesn't need much.

I've seen suggestions that Nine Live's heal should be HoT instead of burst, and I think that's a good idea as well. To nerf her mobility, however, would make her a whole lot less fun to play.

PyrealRabbit
02-09-2017, 11:14 PM
And with the double jump crap you can't even predict where she will land, because they may or may not double jump.

WHY do they even have a PTS when a char like this can be released?

A1ven
02-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Hooray for the idiot who invented the damage inflicted by this champion, in all games now Maeve too op!!!!

xRevy
02-10-2017, 12:32 AM
Her mobility is great and is what makes her unique so I wouldn't touch that. But I would significantly reduce her dmg like by a A LOT. There no reason for her knives to do anywhere near 900 dmg like no reason what so ever. Her knives don't have reload and they are super easy to land on people. She should be a sort of in and out type of fighter. Hurting opponents and fleeing constantly and finishing kills. There is no reason why she can kill any champ in one combo she is not a damage dealer.Her combo should do around 1500 damage in total.

rixinthemix
02-10-2017, 01:33 AM
Another thing that needs to be addressed is her lack of damage falloff. She's supposed to be a flank, range isn't supposed to be one of her advantages.

truehypershadow
02-10-2017, 09:04 AM
do the devs even read this forum??
i surfed alot, and found no dev replies on even one thread

AlphaCultist
02-10-2017, 03:13 PM
why should Maeve have free double jump (not as special abilities!) when other champions do not?

Hammerweld
02-10-2017, 11:44 PM
I like the idea of lowering her damage a bit. But I feel there's a greater problem with how her knives work. I can't quite seem to put my finger on it, but there's something about their flight path, or their firing speed/position, I'm not sure. But it makes hitting targets a whole lot easier than it ought to be.

Perhaps the solution might be increasing the space between the two knives? So that it requires a bit more tracking to hit both?

Also, I would like prowl to be canceled by enemy fire.

SlurWin
02-11-2017, 12:02 AM
The reason she is VERY Over Powered is how easily you can combo her knive throws with her quick dash slash attack.

So this what people playing her do, throw knives 900 dmg then quick slash attack 600 dmg , and then another knive throw on for another 900 dmg which = 2400 dmg. Now they hit Q which resets there prowl and slash attack and they can immediately do the combo again which Totals 4800 damage in about 5-7 seconds. On a Tank cuz well every other champion is allready dead at this point for the most part.

On top of her mobility and HUGE hit box which makes her knive throw very easy to land, which also has very little drop off of damage compared to other Flankers like Androxus or Buck. She has way too much range with her knives and the damage bearly goes down on far throws. Oh Yeah I also Forget on Top of all that She doesnt have to reload. Her Knive throw is much faster than Grovers Axe Throw and much stronger. Oh I could go on and on. Shes OP enuff said.

She is game breaking in IMO, There is no reason to play as another Flanker. I actually will not be playing Paladins until she is nerfed.