PDA

View Full Version : Torvald's auto aim mechanics are terrible

xRevy
01-26-2017, 12:30 PM
I created a post here in reddit about it and people seemed to agree, but I will paste it here as well so we can discuss it some more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paladins/comments/5q7n4e/torvald_his_auto_lock_abilities_are_aids/

After using Torvald for a few matches, I found the auto aim to be more of a hindrance than an advantage. I can't tell you how many times I missed an almost dying target just because some got slightly closer to me so my gun snapped to the other person. I honestly do no understand what is the point of all the aid to this character. His ability to give shields to allies also has a snapping feature. No I do not want to attack the full HP Tank I want to kill the almost dead healer behind you. Jesus Christ. Can we please stop dumbing down the champions??????? With all these snapping features it is such a restricting way to play. One of my favorite thing about Paladins is how free flowing all the characters feel and how it really all comes down to skill, well timed shots, well timed dodges etc. Trovald just seems to go in the complete opposite direction than the rest of the champions. The solution? Remove the auto-aim from his gun and extent the range to maybe something like Ying range. Remove the Snaping on the shield giving ability and make it sort of Mending Spirits from mal'damba. I want to always have the choice to give the shield to the person I want not the random team mate close to me. Sure it might be a little harder to land those shields but hey what is the point of playing if everything is so easy? Any one else agrees?

QcDiablo
01-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Yes, it's true.
In my opinion, the auto-aim should be a little bit less powerful and centered targets should be shot in priority instead of the closest one.

Brodeo
01-28-2017, 02:17 PM
I think it's supposed to be more of a hindrance than a helpful auto-aim. His shield control is incredibly powerful, and he can leave an enemy tank with nothing to speak of for defense. But he can't chase and his LMB can be blocked by an enemy's teammates if they are playing well. That seems to be the intended strategy.

If you can't keep up with different gameplay mechanics, maybe he's just not your champ.

Miyonala
01-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Next you will complain about how you can't make Barik turret attack who you want, or how you can't make Ying illusion heal the teammate you want. It's part of the mechanics, and I believe that both the pros and cons are intentional: just like turret can be misdirected by sending a front line in first, Torvald gun can be disabled by sending a giant target to his face, or with smoke screen; and I am starting to believe that these are deliberate design choice by HiRez. If you want to complain, you need to consider it as part of character balance as a whole, and no longer in isolation.

PyrealRabbit
01-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Its short range but I also find the target-snapping a nuisance. I think either they need to ditch it altogether or make the lock less strong so it snaps to the closest to the reticle.

WarMongger
01-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Torvold is not that hard I kill him many times his auto aim can't kill well he nerd to be close its like walking suicide tank you can getaway easily many character had escape skill except tyra for this For auto aim is OP you are bunch of noobs you got escape skill use its I'm using for many ties I've seen player snipe me stop complaint on his auto aim you got rang use that noobs

xRevy
01-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Next you will complain about how you can't make Barik turret attack who you want, or how you can't make Ying illusion heal the teammate you want. It's part of the mechanics, and I believe that both the pros and cons are intentional: just like turret can be misdirected by sending a front line in first, Torvald gun can be disabled by sending a giant target to his face, or with smoke screen; and I am starting to believe that these are deliberate design choice by HiRez. If you want to complain, you need to consider it as part of character balance as a whole, and no longer in isolation.

Those are both terrible examples you are comparing apples to oranges here. We are talking about his primary attack. You should be able to choose you to attack. He has potato range the least that he can have is the ability to choose who to attack. Don't get me wrong I do like everything about him. The auto-snaping just seems more of a gimmick they wanted to try than a balance mechanic.

I think it's supposed to be more of a hindrance than a helpful auto-aim. His shield control is incredibly powerful, and he can leave an enemy tank with nothing to speak of for defense. But he can't chase and his LMB can be blocked by an enemy's teammates if they are playing well. That seems to be the intended strategy.

If you can't keep up with different game play mechanics, maybe he's just not your champ.

I'm diamond Torvald so I can definitely "keep up" with different game play, nevertheless, it doesn't stop it from being a nuisance. His shield control while is good is not broken. Because he is a very pacifist FL sort of like a Support/FL Hybrid which I love. So, I don't see how being able to hit who you want to hit would make him unbalanced in any way.

PyrealRabbit
01-28-2017, 11:18 PM
As I play him I dislike the lock-on more and more. :\

It feels, easy mode. I don't think it should be there.

rixinthemix
01-28-2017, 11:54 PM
It is easy mode on some cases and utter hell when the enemy team comp is composed of deployable champs (Kinessa, Ying, Barik, Bomb King).

LimaB
01-29-2017, 06:20 AM
You do not have to be nervous just his aim. You have to freak out the Champion, the strangest ULT I've ever seen. Shield almost unbreakable. You play a competitive having the other team a Turvald and some other tank and almost impossible to win. Champion totally unbalanced in relation to the others. Hi-rez rode a ridiculously OP

PyrealRabbit
01-29-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm still surprised about how few players buy Wrecker when they see Torv or any 2 tank set up.

EpplZ
01-30-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm still surprised about how few players buy Wrecker when they see Torv or any 2 tank set up.

Nah man, deft hands are so much better!

#defthandsisthenewaggression

I'm still baffled, its like some people will purposefully chose anything but wrecker or caut, if you remove deft hands they will all chose bulldozer.... you know, helping the team is so 2016.

lenex
01-31-2017, 04:00 PM

You can't compare the ai of pets to the auto aim of Torv's main attack it's much worse. Atleast those pet's target players. On the other hand Torv's main attack will target any thing. Being forced to destroy bombs at your feet instead of Bomb King who is 2 feet away is just bad and annoying mechanic's. A easy fix is to just lock on target while your holding down the channel so long as they are in range.

Miyonala
02-01-2017, 12:20 AM
You can't compare the ai of pets to the auto aim of Torv's main attack it's much worse. Atleast those pet's target players. On the other hand Torv's main attack will target any thing. Being forced to destroy bombs at your feet instead of Bomb King who is 2 feet away is just bad and annoying mechanic's. A easy fix is to just lock on target while your holding down the channel so long as they are in range.

What are you talking about? Torvald attack does lock-on as long as you are holding down the button and is aiming at target, no matter what get in between you and the target. If it fails to lock-on, 3 reasons: a) target move out of range, even if only for a fraction of a second; b) you failed to track the target with your aim (funny enough for a weapon that don't need aim, you do need to track your target properly with your aim to keep your lock-on when there are many targets around, even though your aim can be bad when there is no clutters); c) you're inside a smoke screen, or running through one.

lenex
02-01-2017, 03:30 AM
What are you talking about? Torvald attack does lock-on as long as you are holding down the button and is aiming at target, no matter what get in between you and the target. If it fails to lock-on, 3 reasons: a) target move out of range, even if only for a fraction of a second; b) you failed to track the target with your aim (funny enough for a weapon that don't need aim, you do need to track your target properly with your aim to keep your lock-on when there are many targets around, even though your aim can be bad when there is no clutters); c) you're inside a smoke screen, or running through one.

Incorrect in fact you do not even have to be aiming at a targetthere is a auto aim but there is not lock.

Miyonala
02-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Incorrect in fact you do not even have to be aiming at a targetthere is a auto aim but there is not lock.

There is auto-aim, and there is lock-on; BUT they do NOT work together. To get lock-on, you need to aim. The auto-aim don't lock-on.

Here are 3 scenario:
1) You are alone with your target. You aim close enough to the target for it to start. Target run around, even completely far away from your crosshair, it will still stay on. This is auto-aim.
2) Your target are together with other stuff. You managed to catch the target with the beam. Target run behind a whole bunch of deplayables/other people. As long as your crosshair keep staying on your target, your beam will still lock-on target. This is lock-on.
3) Your target are together with other stuff. You managed to catch the target with the beam. Target run behind a whole bunch of deplayables/other people, while trying to get out of your crosshair. If you failed to keep the crosshair on the target and there is something else between you and the target, the beam will switch target.

Auto-aim doesn't lock-on. If you want lock-on, you need to aim.

SnowTamer
02-02-2017, 01:54 AM
No, I like Torvald. His auto-aim is unique, and do you want champions to be all the same? If you don't like him, simple. Don't play him.