PDA

View Full Version : I think Torvald is balanced

Muminette
01-24-2017, 02:24 AM
So this is a topic for discussion. Prove me wrong or support my arguments.

I don't think Torvald is too weak and here's why I think that:
1. He deals 50 dmg every 0.1s with his basic attack. That gives 500 dmg in 1s. It autolocks on the enemy champ. Fernando's flamelance deals 30 dmg every 0.1s plus there is 200 dmg after burn. That gives 200 dmg for sure (by just tagging the enemy) and 300 dmg in 1s. Overall 500 dmg in 3s. I'd say those are comparable numbers. So his left click isn't that weak as some people claim IMO. Plus Torvald has a pretty similar range to Fernando. So why Nando's left click is not weak and Torvald's is?
2. Torvald is quite powerful crowd controller (silence, ult). Especially his silence can be very, very strong ability, because it's aoe. He can disarm entire team for 1.5s in one, fast hit. His ult is dope and the only counter to it I can think of is resilience. No F ability will save you from it, like in case of BK's poppy. It can be a real game changer if used at the right moment.
3. Torvald is one big, walking shield wrecker. On lvl 3.
4. Shielding allies - as far as I'm concerned his projecting Shields ability doesn't have any range limitations. Kinda like Mal'Damba's healing beam. Which is awesome, because he can save literally everyone as long as the champ is in his sight view.

I don't think Torvald is OP and here's why I think that:
1. Even though he seems tanky as hell he has a hard time against team with wrecker. It forces you to manage your shield recharge very carefully.
2. No special movement ability.
3. His left click. If it would be stronger, then it could make him OP IMO.
4. Shielding allies is single target and lasts only 2s.

NekonataM
01-24-2017, 02:41 AM
*2. No special movement ability*
How can that be balanced? He will be stunned by BK grumpy bomb and will not be able to escape from Skye or Drogoz's ult. The other frontlines can avoid them if they're good enough but no matter how good you are with Torvald you won't be able to avoid them.

Besides, you can do pretty well with Fernando in 1vs1, you can flank, chase kinessas and etc. but with Torvald, you can't win in 1vs1, you can't go for Kinessa, you have no chance against everyone who has movement ability and higher range than you.

PTLagger
01-24-2017, 03:57 AM
I don't think Resilience can counter his Ult good if he fires his Hyper beam at you continously, look at Torvald's push strength to 2 maxed Resilience Grover & Makoa here: https://youtu.be/XD1HnfaB_7Q?t=9m14s

Btw, I hear someone said his auto-lock also is his weakness to fight against deployable champs (Barik, Ying, Grohk) because if you block his beam by a deployable, the beam will auto-lock at that deployable until you stop firing

Amynue
01-24-2017, 04:05 AM
It's hard to tell from PTS if he is balanced. There is always Torvald in both teams and fights between them are kinda akward, they just pass their shields back and forth.
The real test will be competitive matches, when he will get to fight other front liners.

I once menaged to get into a game at PTS where there was no Torvald in the other team, just Barik (no idea how no one picked Torvald in the other team). Whenever he put up his shield I would suck it in and move on to destroying his turrets and him. It felt like he didn't stand a chance. He keept geting killed and lost 0-4.

Torvald have some clear downsides like - no way to evade or doge ults and stuns, low DPS and low range, but ability of stealing shields, when facing other front liners (expecialy fernando) may be enough to make up for the downsides.

SnowTamer
01-24-2017, 04:36 AM
Hmmmmm, the shield siphoning seems rlly good

SnakeNox
01-24-2017, 07:31 AM
Hopefully Torvald is balanced against 1 tank setups, and OP as hell against 2 tank setups.

BlueDust13
01-26-2017, 08:34 AM
I have concerns about his ulti. In a map like frog isle or fish market he could cause a lot of issues by knocking out of the map many members of the enemy team. It would be interesting to see how the positioning will change though.

RogueRifler
01-26-2017, 04:34 PM
I think he is weak.

Responses:
1. He does 500 dps to a single target. Nando does this in an aoe and the DoT continues after he stops firing.
2. His silence has an incredibly short range, without the aid of a speed buff from a teammate there's absolutely no reason that you'd get hit by this unless you do tactically unwise things.
3. He does 2k dps to shields for a maximum of 2.5s every 12.5s at extremely short ranges. This is also the only major way for him to recharge his shield. If you pressure the Torvald he's likely to use this to survive and then you can freely use your shields. This ability doesn't scale with Wrecker and btw BK does >2.5k dps to shields with wrecker 1.
4. This is a strong ability, but it doesn't seem strong enough to warrant him to be out of combat range and in view of his team acting as a support. Even with cards and chronos 2 you are putting out a 2k shield every 4s = 500sps. This is literally all you can do from range and it's very hard to support in this fashion when in the faces of the enemy team.

Samwyse
01-26-2017, 04:50 PM
I actually agree. I have played 70 games with him alone now. He can't do anything to a character with range. He has to be in your face to actually do something.
He is more of a support frontline than anything. All he can do is drain shields and protect other's for 2 seconds and that is assuming you have the other players in your line of sight.
His weapon is incredibly weak, as it should be. His shield must be re-charged, and he lacks mobility.

I really don't get all the people complaining that he is owerpowered just because he has a good symbiosis with other tanks (Ruckus).

Jusey1
01-26-2017, 05:02 PM
I personally consider Torvald to be very balanced. The problem is, people are use to having only one extremely tanky character (Fernando) and now we have two. People need to get use to this.

RangerWolf
01-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Hmmmmm, the shield siphoning seems rlly good
Kinda looks like the guy below xD
http://funnystack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Funny-NOM-NOM-NOM-61.jpg

rixinthemix
01-26-2017, 05:39 PM
His LMB is unreliable in combat since you can "confuse" the beam into targeting stray deployables like Bomb King bombs.
His lack of movement speed also makes him a definite non-pick in very high levels of play (i.e. tournaments).

That said, I do think he's okay as a champion.