PDA

View Full Version : Does Buck REALLY need a nerf?

MintyCoffee
01-09-2017, 05:15 AM
It seems among the casual community aside from poor old Evie, our favorite lovable dork Buck always seems to garner the bad graces of the community in some form or fashion. It's basically every day I see a "Nerf Buck!" thread, almost always in relation to his health funnily enough. And as a long time Buck Main... I really don't see the reason why at this point in the game he deserves a nerf. Let's take a look at his kit and explore why/why not...

Firstly, his 3000 health base. This is quite a large pool of health for a flanker. At face value, yes, you might consider it too much. IF it was someone more frail and vulnerable, like Skye or Evie. What separates Buck from the other flankers is that he trades monstrous damage and frail longevity for a mix of the two. Buck has very respectable longevity with his health pool and health recovery options, and a moderate pool of damage. A way to put it is that unlike the other flankers, Buck is mid-risk, mid-reward. You have to put yourself in dangerous situations like all flankers, yes, but thanks to having much more health recovery options, this compensates for Buck, because he is slow and bulky. This is what makes his health pool balanced. Unlike the other flankers, Buck is slow and bulky! He has a massive hitbox and is far easier to deal with than the other flankers. Now considering that, let's take a look at Buck's kit.

Buck's Shotgun
Speak's for itself really. Has to be up close and personal to do any real damage, doing an average of anywhere between 500-700 damage per shot (headshots taken into account), with a slow rate of fire and moderate reload speed. This again makes Buck different from the other Flankers as he isn't putting out massive amounts of damage in just one seconds. He takes a bit more time to be whittling down his foes, yet he's not as frail himself, and his shotgun complements this quite well. MY only irk is that IT DOESN'T FEEL POWERFUL BECAUSE OF THE FIRING NOISE ;3;
Plz Hi-Rez, give us a REAL shotgun firing noise, hell even BARIK gets one ;3;
But back into the realm of seriousness...

Recovery
This ability gives Buck a steady 1000 health recovery over 4 seconds (effectively 250 health a second), this ability is the kingpin to Buck's survivability. Normally there's 2 conventional uses for this card - to pop it just after a dangerous fight to get a quick "recovery" (hue), or to pop it just as you enter combat to keep up your bulk. The latter playstyle is made even stronger with a card that grants up to 40% lifesteal on basic shots while recovery is active, adding to Buck's insane longevity, meaning you can effectively be getting up to 500 or so health a second if recovery is popped just right and your aim is on point, which is very fair, it's rewarding good skill with good reward. And it only lasts 4 seconds. The thing is, Buck is still easy to kill while in this recovery state, because if you're maneuvering around him as well as shooting him yourself (Most champ's case at least), you can be whittling his own health down and reducing the effectiveness of his lifesteal, so it's not as overpowered as you'd expect. I only bring up this card because it's the one that makes players against Buck cry when they use it with recovery at level 4, but it really makes sense and is balanced in hindsight. Moving on!

Heroic Leap
This is a lovely little beauty that gives Buck his flanking potential, allowing you to make tremendous leaps and bounds across the map in seconds, and also adding a lovely impact damage of 350 if you land on the head of an unsuspecting foe, making it a perfect opening blow as well as an escape mechanism. This ability isn't called OP in comparison to Buck's other abilities, and none of its boosting cards really push it to be overpowered.

Net Shot
Now this is where we come into the commonly called OP territory. Buck's net shot is a devastating cripple that halves an enemy's movement speed for 1.5s, and doing an impact damage of 150. Ontop of this, during that 1.5s, this enemy takes 30% increased damage from your shots. Now if Net Shot lasted longer, I could understand why this would be seen as OP, but it only lasts 1.5 seconds, which you can only fit as much as 2 shots into before it wears off. There is a card to boost its duration, yes, but only by a small margin, and its overshadowed by the usefulness of another key card that gives you up to 32% lifesteal on a netted target. That plus level 4 Giga Siphon with Recovery popped will give you as much as 72% lifesteal on the netted target, plus the 30% increased damage. Now remind me... Why is this combo called OP exactly? Buck is a FLANKER. He is SUPPOSED to have some kind of very damn powerful combo that makes him a prominent threat, otherwise there'd be no point in using him over Androxus or Evie (Andro arguably being a better hitscan flanker at higher tiers). Also, considering the tiny duration of net shot, this combo is very split-second, so it really doesn't deserve the "OP" tag.

Buck Wild
This is that one Ult that people never quite know what situation to use in, yet it's arguably one of the most simple. You reset all your cool downs, refresh your ammo, and do double damage for 6 seconds. It's honestly a lot simpler than it seems, the kind of situation would be to use it on an unsuspecting team to get a number of finishing blows. It's pointless to use it to whittle down a tank, or even a full health player. Buck Wild's best application is when there are a number of enemies in a small area with lingering health, you pop Buck Wild and combine your cooldowns to lay the smackdown and get some epic finishers. You might as well call it the POTG Ultimate.

Agree or disagree with my analogies into why Buck isn't overpowered? Let me know below, and as always, keep it respectful.

Huttmunkkeeeys
01-09-2017, 05:26 AM
Honestly, I agree, Buck is a fairly balanced character at the moment. However I can see where some players come from. Buck, if in the right hands, becomes one of the most annoying characters to deal with. If they want to nerf his health, we have to buff some other aspect of him to keep him balanced.

MintyCoffee
01-09-2017, 05:27 AM
Honestly, I agree, Buck is a fairly balanced character at the moment. However I can see where some players come from. Buck, if in the right hands, becomes one of the most annoying characters to deal with. If they want to nerf his health, we have to buff some other aspect of him to keep him balanced.

That's the point though, isn't it? A good flanker is SUPPOSED to be annoying, to draw the attention of the enemy team to the rear so that they are too busy focusing on you to kill your team's frontline.

Huttmunkkeeeys
01-09-2017, 05:34 AM
That's the point though, isn't it? A good flanker is SUPPOSED to be annoying, to draw the attention of the enemy team to the rear so that they are too busy focusing on you to kill your team's frontline.

That's true, but considering that Evie and Skye are more hit and run characters and Androxus is more kill focused, players would argue that he does "fit" the Flank class like the other 3. Granted those are probably the same people who complain that Pip shouldn't be a support character. XD

EvieIV
01-09-2017, 06:16 AM
buck is not getting nerfed, move on

MintyCoffee
01-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Exactly what I wish people would understand. Buck doesn't need a nerf just because he has high health for a flanker.

PTLagger
01-09-2017, 08:54 AM
I agree. That's what Hirez can do to balanced shotgun. IRL all shotgun are monster in close range, capable of 1-shoot-kill any squishies. Shotgun are usually used by Recon class, fast and deadly. With TTK in this game, shotgun should deal at least 1000 dmg per shoot. Even a Flank champ who use it have 2000HP, it's even more OP than Buck with that dmg because how easy to aim with shotgun. And Hirez have a way to balanced this shotgun is made his shotgun's dmg more like a nerf gun, and increase his HP for trade-off

sinosleep
01-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Flanks don't generally have the staying power to be drawing attention away from the point . I think the purpose is to stop the enemy damage from getting to the point in the first place so the front liners and damage don't have to deal with them and can capture with ease.

Zeraphine
01-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Yes, because with the right card combination focused on healing (lifesteal, lower cooldown, hp) he literally lives forever while doing lots of damage PLUS he can jump right into your face and you are doomed.

MintyCoffee
01-11-2017, 04:21 AM
Yes, because with the right card combination focused on healing (lifesteal, lower cooldown, hp) he literally lives forever while doing lots of damage PLUS he can jump right into your face and you are doomed.
Hi there, person who only read the title instead of the whole post.
TL;DR for you, no, Buck doesn't need a nerf. With the right card combo, any champ is powerful. Buck's combos are not OP. He does not liver forever while doing it, because with slow-fire rate, a very short interval for any life steal at all, and the easiest flanker to kill, it is not OP at all.
Also he has no cards that give him more base health.
What's wrong with him jumping in your face? That's the whole point of playing Buck, to be playing hyper-aggressively and being right up in the face's of people. Actually try playing the class for more than 2 bot lobbies before calling them overpowered.
Also, read the whole post next time, not just the title.

VetVel
01-11-2017, 05:02 AM
Lol "literally lives forever"...shame, Buck does not need at nerf, i sh$t on Buck with Cauterize. But then again, you probably take aggression and complain that he just heals/lifesteals.