PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on "OP" Characters

Huttmunkkeeeys
01-06-2017, 03:57 PM
After looking around on the forums, I have found many posts of people saying "OMG *Insert Paladins Character Here* Is OP AF! PLZ NERF!" I have decided to create a thread giving my thought on the supposed OP characters. Just for reference, I have 100+ hours in game, level 33, and have all character at Lv 4 + with exception of Drogoz, Cassie, Sha Lin, Androxus, and Mal Damba. My opinions are going to be based on my experience playing the character and playing against the character.

FRONTLINES:
Starting off with frontlines, I have seen people complain about Fernando. To be honest, I don't play much frontline. Considering I am a trash frontline, I'd much rather play support or damage. So I wouldn't consider myself "qualified" to give an objective opinion on them. With that said, thee main problem I hear about Fernando is Flanknando. Is Flanknando annoying? Yes. Is it OP? Honestly I don't think so.

SUPPORTS:
The main gripes I hear under the support class are Mal Damba and Pip. Starting with Mal Damba, the main complaint is with is Dreaded Perma-stun loadout. Honestly, it's a very gimmicky loadout that's, from my experience, rarely used. I have only seen 3 perma-stun Mal Dambas, 1 was my friend, which was hilarious, and the other 2 I was playing against, and was very easy to deal with. Once my team discovered that the enemy was using a perma-stun loadout, we just focused their Mal Damba. Also, there's and item known as Resilience that pretty much counters the Stun-lock so I wouldn't consider it OP. Annoying? Defiantly, but not OP.

Now for Pip. Everyone seems to have this misconception that supports have to be healers, and that's just untrue. Supports are a utility class that focuses and Offence and defence with the intention of providing support for those capturing the point. With that said, Pip fulfills that role perfectly. He's designed to harass and distract enemy damage dealers to turn their attention away from your fronliner, giving your tank and damage dealers ample time to deal with the enemy frontliner and healer. Also, as a bonus, a slight alter to his loadout and he becomes one of the strongest healers in the game. Now, if you're sitting there scratching your head trying to figure out why I said all that, it's because there are people who think Pip should be reworked into a flank, simply because the flank loadout for Pip is fairly common. With all that said, I'd say that Pip is perfectly fine where he's at, with the only tweak being that his Reload card's cooldown should be decreased from 5 seconds to 4 seconds.

DAMAGE:
Now for the apperantly OP class of the Damage Dealer. The common ones I see from this class are Tyra (obviously), Drogoz, Sha Lin, and the ever popular Victor. I'm going to start off with Drogoz. Honestly, I'm complete trash with Drogoz. The only time I played him, I got 1 kill, 20 deaths and I think 10K damage? So yeah, I don't have much experience playing him. However, I have played against him quite often, and from that experience, I'd say he's fine. He tends to be easy to deal with and I've never had major issues with him. In most games, we tend to have a hit-scan and champion and, if he's competent, will focus the drogoz. So from my own experience, I wouldn't consider him overly powerful.

And now for Victor. Do I have to really point this out? He's a balanced character, end of story. However, with that said I have seen someone make the suggestion of increasing the damage falloff to eliminate sniping victor and force him into medium range combat. So that's a thing.

Sha Lin. He is in an odd state right now. With his massive learning curve, very few players main him. But for those few who do, holy shit. Honestly I think his Planted ability should be nerfed. Considering the fact that, if in the hands of someone who knows how to use him, can easily deal with any up close flanks pretty much negates his biggest weakness. I remember a game I played where we were against a diamond tier Sha Lin at Lv 15 and he, single handedly, wasted our team. Any time our flank or damage dealer tried killing him, he just killed them instead. In the end, that Sha Lin got ~200k damage. The next highest I think was a frontline with like 80K damage. As stated above, He's not OP in the sense that anyone can pick him up and insta-win, he does have that massive learning curve. I'm entirely sure though.

And finally Tyra, the whipping of the forums. First off, I have played a lot of Tyra, currently LV 10 Plat., and I've played against a lot a Tyras. IMO, she is one of the most underpowered champions in the game currently. She is easy pickings for flanks and damage dealer, and don't get me started on her Ach-Nemesis, Makoa's hook. Her damage is fine, but I think she needs a buff in either speed or health. Considering the fact the she's meant to be a glass cannon, I'm leaning more towards increased speed. Probably a boost of about 10-15% increase to base speed. Side note, might make a post about how Tyra needs a buff just to see all the butthurt noobs come out the woodwork to complain that she's too stronk. :D

FLANKS
Finally the flank class. The major ones I here from this class are Evie, Buck, and the other whipping boy Skye. Starting off with Evie, she's pretty solid where she's at. I've seen the suggestion of decreasing her damage while increasing her projectile speed. My friend, who mains Evie, actually approves of this idea. Other then that, she's fine where she's at.

Buck. A lot of people have complained that Buck is OP. Honestly, he needs a bit of tweaking but he's not OP. One suggestion I've seen is buffing his Recovery. Honestly, I think his Recovery is fine. If you buff it, you'll have to increase the cooldown of the move to avoid it being too powerful and I don't think many Buck mains will appreciate that. Honestly I think they should increase his reload speed by 10-15%, decrease the weapon spread, and decrease his health by about 200. With that, it'll make his damage a bit more consistent, increase his DPS slightly and decrease his bulkiness.

And Finally Skye. Oddly enough, before OB40, Skye was easy af to deal with. However in the recent update, she is one of the most difficult characters to deal with. This is what they should do: Buff her health from 1800 to 2000, decrease her projectile hit detection on the poison bolts by 100%, decrease minimum accuracy of her wrist crossbow from 90% to 84%, increase the accuracy lost per shot with her wrist crossbow from 1% to 2%, and Increase Ninja card from 8/16/24/32 to 15/30/45/60. Then she would be perfect.

KicksBrickster
01-06-2017, 04:05 PM
I agree with everything here, except...

And Finally Skye. Oddly enough, before OB40, Skye was easy af to deal with. However in the recent update, she is one of the most difficult characters to deal with. This is what they should do: Buff her health from 1800 to 2000, decrease her projectile hit detection on the poison bolts by 100%, decrease minimum accuracy of her wrist crossbow from 90% to 84%, increase the accuracy lost per shot with her wrist crossbow from 1% to 2%, and Increase Ninja card from 8/16/24/32 to 15/30/45/60. Then she would be perfect.

This is basically asking for a total reversion. Skye was extremely weak before the buffs she got, and she's still not perfect. She needs more work, not a reversion back to the terribly Skye we had for so long.

Other than that, good post.

Huttmunkkeeeys
01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I agree with everything here, except...

This is basically asking for a total reversion. Skye was extremely weak before the buffs she got, and she's still not perfect. She needs more work, not a reversion back to the terribly Skye we had for so long.

Other than that, good post.

Honestly, I have heard a lot of skye mains said that the buff to her accuracy was a needed buff. The only reason I made that is purely due to frustration. As I've stated, before OB40, she was easy to counter, but post OB40, if you don't spot her, well you're dead. I know she still needs work but it's just get irritating.

KicksBrickster
01-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Honestly, I have heard a lot of skye mains said that the buff to her accuracy was a needed buff. The only reason I made that is purely due to frustration. As I've stated, before OB40, she was easy to counter, but post OB40, if you don't spot her, well you're dead. I know she still needs work but it's just get irritating.

As someone who really likes Kinessa, I get how frustrating Skye can be. But as someone who also loves to play Skye, the buffs were absolutely necessary. She's still kinda weak, actually, but now she can actually kill enemies rather than knocking them down to half health then dying cos half her shots missed.

Unfortunately, that seems to annoy people. Apparently some people don't want Skye to be able to kill anything, which I don't understand. She might be infuriating, but she should still be viable.