PDA

View Full Version : Servers staying up?

scarfino
11-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Noticed the servers stayed up a lot later than 12EST last night. Is this going to be a regular thing? :D

Kenneloth
11-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Let's hope so.

Ashi
11-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Well, here is the thing, They don't really have a particular reason to shut them down if they are not working on them, (And by not working on them, I mean rolling out a new update or installing new servers, working on the server component itself or stress testing) So I am certain they leave them up. They don't have much to gain by turning them off.

How I would interpret it is: The times stated are the times where it is Guaranteed the servers will be up. Just be warned that if you are playing Past Midnight EST, They are allowed to shut down the servers in the middle of your game without consulting you first for maintenance and updates.

Basically: I'm certain that they will leave them up most of the time, But don't count on it. If the game shuts off while you are playing, you already know why.

Kenneloth
11-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Well, here is the thing, They don't really have a particular reason to shut them down if they are not working on them, (And by not working on them, I mean rolling out a new update or installing new servers, working on the server component itself or stress testing) So I am certain they leave them up. They don't have much to gain by turning them off.

How I would interpret it is: The times stated are the times where it is Guaranteed the servers will be up. Just be warned that if you are playing Past Midnight EST, They are allowed to shut down the servers in the middle of your game without consulting you first for maintenance and updates.

Basically: I'm certain that they will leave them up most of the time, But don't count on it. If the game shuts off while you are playing, you already know why.

Solid answer. I was wondering for why they would shut them down. I mean they don't need to shut them down to get the data.

Hero
11-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Solid answer. I was wondering for why they would shut them down. I mean they don't need to shut them down to get the data.

Besides the ability to make changes. I know other companies have done this to save money on bandwidth costs before they started collecting payments. Probably not an issue for HiRez though. :)

Ashi
11-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Besides the ability to make changes. I know other companies have done this to save money on bandwidth costs before they started collecting payments. Probably not an issue for HiRez though. :)

It is very much possible they could do that, But it would not save them a whole lot of money. Most companies keep things on in house server, or, the most likely option, A Data center.

A Data center is literally a building that is lined with Rows and rows and rows of servers in whole room ventilation systems, redundant electricity tracks, and advanced Fire suppression techniques, and high speed cables to handle massive traffic loads. All of this complete with a lightly armed Security detail on site to ensure that no company secrets are stolen from the multitudes of companies that house servers there, and outfitted with a lot of firewalls and protection to protect from script kiddies around the world. (This is how they can have East coast and west coast servers. You get space in respective data Centers)

Simply put: Shutting off the servers doesn't do much to save them money, they still need to pay for space in data centers, as I don't believe that Hi-Rez would contain there servers On site.

DeejayKnight
11-19-2015, 02:13 AM
I was wondering about this too, but my buddy and I just kept on pushing and playing!

Valid points @Ashi. Hoping this remains the case!

Ashi
11-19-2015, 02:20 AM
Valid points @Ashi. Hoping this remains the case!

I am glad to be of service.

As a precaution, I would advise against opening card packs after 12:00 PM EST.