PDA

View Full Version : I think it's safe to say Ruckus is OP

KicksBrickster
12-18-2016, 08:37 PM
I've been going through trying to level up enough champions to get into ranked mode, and I'm rapidly realizing that Ruckus is OP. Since I usually play Pip or Cassie, I had just assumed Ruckus was a counter to those champions and thought nothing of it. However, going through and leveling Androxus, Sha Lin, and a few others, I've yet to find someone who doesn't have trouble taking out Ruckus once he's established on the point, even taking Wrecker.

The issue his a combination between effective range, damage reduction, and his shielding.

I won't vouch for his damage at range, but his ability to spray down enemies at range rivals that of Viktor. On more open maps like Frozen Guard, he can easily shoot enemies off their horses halfway across the map while sitting comfortably on the point. I'm still not sure how he managed to kill me as Sha Lin from halfway across the map when I had half health, but he did that too. Meanwhile...

...every 10 seconds he can reduce the damage he takes by half for 3 seconds, with a 7-second down time in between. He can also use this to heal, or generate more ammo to keep firing longer, and the damage reduction affects his allies too, making them nigh-unkillable every ten seconds. Coupled with a good healer, Ruckus can't die. Meanwhile...

...he also has a 3000 health shield that also slows nearby enemies. He can use this when he's about to die to have enough time to easily get in the last few shots he needs to kill the person shooting at him. Using cards he can also get one that appears when he gets to low health, making him even harder to kill.

On top of this, you have 1325 damage per second and an ult that does even more even at long range.

Ruckus is a front liner, and like the others like Fernando and Barik he should be able to hunker down on the point and be a strong presence there. His abilities definitely let him do that, with damage reduction available when on the objective and a lot of shielding. However, his effective range should be limited to the battle in the point's immediate vicinity. Ruckus should not be able to sit on the point and still be able to deal enough damage to discourage the Kinessa or Sha Lin taking shots from long range. For this reason, I propose that we increase his spread, and decrease the distant his shots travel.

I don't think he needs much of a nerf, but he definitely deserves a little one.

ChaosAnimagic
12-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Ruckus has always been very good... a lot of top players can use him to change the game.

The only reason why most people don't play him... is cause he requires absolute Team Play due to his [Q] ability... and it can only be used on the objective.

You need to have coordination to have Team all head to Ruckus at same/right time to get the buff and get out before you're targeted by a large AoE (IE: Drogoz or BombKing) that would wipe out your team.

Hobinm
12-18-2016, 09:14 PM
ruckus is no where near over powered. but if people support him that only make him seem that. if a team doesn't support their frontline chars as most do not. then ruckus and the rest of the front line chars are among the weakest in the game. if any char is over powered its skye and victor. and victor is a double edge swords as he is the primary character used by aim boters and when we is used that way he does seem very over powered.

KicksBrickster
12-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Then how does one effectively counter him? Cos even when he doesn't have good team support I have trouble, and every time I lose it usually ends up being an enemy Ruckus on the other team regardless of what the rest of their team was.

I'd like to think he has some counter, but if he does I haven't found it.

Knightenstein
12-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Ruckus melts like hot knife through butter against even Wrecker at 1 which is a 75% damage boost against shields.
Poor fella can't defensive tank for jack shit after that steroid level Wrecker buff.

Also Ruckus can't move much while firing. He's really immobile so heavy hitter and explosives have the best chance against him. Since he can't move much you can hit him more.
Stack on Haven and focus him down.
Kill off his healer first before you kill him whenever possible.
Otherwise he might have his shields recharged up and be healed up easily.

Also because of his immobility, you want the enemy Ruckus to be ambushed and away from the cart of the objective/capping point as much as possible. Whatever you do, keep the enemy Ruckus away from the objective!
http://image.prntscr.com/image/1c603600a49746c4a9a5aa529acb42f5.png
Otherwise he'll just casually pop this move as soon as his Emitter shield goes down and him and his teammates will take 50% less damage from everything for the duration!
His Repulsor Field also detects stealth.

Arcie
12-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Ruckus is definitely not OP. He can't usually hold a point solo when in a good team matchup. He needs a strong shield to keep him alive when his shield and reduction are on cooldown. Running Ruckus usually means you are running one of the other three tanks as "Main Tank", leaving him as the damage dealing supplemental tank. He cannot shield other characters like Fernando, Barik, or even a good Makoa can, so healers are often left in the open with no protection. The fact that he needs to be ON the point to get his damage reduction means he can be countered by Master Rider allowing a team to setup at the point quicker than he can establish himself or any ability that knocks him off the point such as Bomb King. Any hard CC drops him quick. Makoa leading a well focused team will shut him down every time and there is no reason you can't take him down with Sha Lin planted with Wrecker.

I am getting a little annoyed at these "Champion X is OP" threads. Calling out skills which are too strong and explaining why is one thing. But by my count, every character has been given an "Overpowered" callout thread in the last month or so except for Skye, Grohk, and Grover. Now, if everyone is OP, doesn't that just mean that everyone is equally P? Remember, Casual gameplay usually sees less coordination because no one communicates. Try using the chat and the voice callouts to coordinate your team. It's not that difficult to shut down any champion with the right coordination.

I do think that Casual play should include the same Draft mode option as competitive play. I am getting sick of full heal team builds with one Flanker running against my solo-queue teams simply because there is no counterpick. Same goes for damage ball teams. Let us draft casual! It's the way the game SHOULD be played!

ThatOthell159
12-19-2016, 02:23 AM
Finally someone understands that Ruckus is slightly on the strong side.

Very simple reasons.

-Doesn't rely on shield. (After Wrecker buff, all tanks considerably became much worse with the exception of Makoa and Ruckus because it's not their bread and butter.)
-Has high hp, high damage and superior point control.

The only counters I can think of for him is Dragoz's ult and Pip's ult.

If you watch the tournaments, you will realize that Ruckus has a significantly higher pick rate in the competitive scene recently, it is because the pros are realizing that he is very strong and has very minimal counters.

KicksBrickster
12-19-2016, 05:43 AM
I am getting a little annoyed at these "Champion X is OP" threads. Calling out skills which are too strong and explaining why is one thing. But by my count, every character has been given an "Overpowered" callout thread in the last month or so except for Skye, Grohk, and Grover. Now, if everyone is OP, doesn't that just mean that everyone is equally P? Remember, Casual gameplay usually sees less coordination because no one communicates. Try using the chat and the voice callouts to coordinate your team. It's not that difficult to shut down any champion with the right coordination.

The difference being that I actually did my homework. And, unlike a good number of these kinds of topics, actually put off posting it until I knew what I was talking about.

As far as coordination goes, get back to me when Hi-Rez adds voice chat. I can't memorize the VGS, and believe me I tried. And if it takes the entire team to effectively take someone down, doesn't that make them too strong in the first place?

If Ruckus is not OP (which I still don't believe is the case), then why can't anyone just tell me what his counters are so I can get back to winning games? I'm willing to listen.

Wallachia
12-19-2016, 09:24 AM
"Ruckus is OP".

Bomb King disagrees.

EvieIV
12-19-2016, 09:32 AM
he gets countered by any damage champ pretty much
cassie stays shooting at him out of his range, easy kill, and same for many others. he can't move, he will only stay in the point for 3sec then die cause his q went off.
Same way sha lin q deals 4800 dmg and will 100% hit ruckus so that's another death
bomb king loves ruckus aswell
and drogoz is drogoz

sinosleep
12-19-2016, 09:40 AM
If Ruckus was op he'd get more play in tournaments.

Over the last two major tournaments from over 150 games these are the usage stats

Left column Evie Winter classic rift column champion circuit

nando 100% ---------- nando 100%
cassie 100 -------- cassie 100%
makoa 91% -------- evie 97%
andro 87% --------- andro 94%
evie 83% --------- barik 94%
drogoz 82% ---------- ying 89%
barik 69% -------- viktor 89%
maldamba 67% --------- makoa 89%
ying 58% --------- drogoz 87%
buck 51% --------- BK 35%
sha lin 50% --------- grohk 33%
vik 39% ------------- pip 28%
BK 28% ----------- buck 23%
pip 26% ------------- damba 10%
ruckus 25% -------- kinessa 7%
kinessa 16% -------- ruckus 7%
grohk 16% --------- grover 0%
grover 0% ------- skye 0%
skye 0%

FumbleBunny
12-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Ruckus is strong when his team plays around him.
I've had matches against teams that made every possible effort to babysit Ruckus and keep him alive, which basically meant he could stand on the point/cart and spray shots in every direction all day long, while handing out damage reduction to his team every so often.

This is very difficult to deal with because it allows Ruckus to lay down suppressing fire in every possible direction, making it diffcult for anyone to approach him or his team without taking some damage. This bascially shuts down any attempt at flanking and nothing short of a coordinated attack will force him to move or stop shooting.

Just like a Ying/Barik combo, you cannot let Ruckus get too comfortable in any one spot or he will never move.

Eurorial
12-19-2016, 10:39 PM
you cannot let Ruckus get too comfortable in any one spot or he will never move.

Yeah basically. Ruckus is rather strong due to the amount of damage and damage reduction he can give without really needing much skill to do it. He's not a serious main tank, but with support from his team he can basically wreck faces and assure the point is captured. Get the team to focus him down or keep him away from the point so Repulsor Field can't be used, and he won't be able to set up and shred. Wrecker also melts his Emitter quickly. Metaphorically speaking, Ruckus is a glue that groups a team together on a point, but wipe off that glue before it dries, and the rest of the team won't be able to stick together for long.

dave111
12-20-2016, 02:35 AM
Ruckus too OP? Pls... He is the only tank that relies heavily on his team to assist him otherwise he just melts down in no time. He can't contest the point alone against 2-3 ppl cuz they will wreck him instantly unlike Nando or Barik or even makoa.

IAmSleeping
12-20-2016, 07:56 AM
increase his spread, and decrease the distant his shots travel.
I think it's a fair change. He is a frontline after all. But i often see ruckus who snipes from the backline and never goes on the point not only in casual, but in competitive too. This change would punish such playstyle and hopefully more people will play him as a frontline.

SeYr0
12-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Ruckus too OP? Pls... He is the only tank that relies heavily on his team to assist him otherwise he just melts down in no time. He can't contest the point alone against 2-3 ppl cuz they will wreck him instantly unlike Nando or Barik or even makoa.

Pretty much this.

JewelThief1
12-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Ruckus is as tough as Nando but Ruckus shoots with his shield up. It's not balanced.

XFARWARX
12-21-2016, 03:35 PM
no he does not need it