PDA

View Full Version : Item Balancing Ideas

Vampragon43
11-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Paladins has many different Burn Cards, also known as Items.
However, not all of these Burn Cards are very balanced. On top of that, there are perhaps not enough items in the game for all champions' playstyles.
As such, I have many ideas of how some items should be changed, and what new items could be added.
NOTE: This thread was originally here in the "Balance Feedback" sub-forum, but I have reposted it the "Card Concepts" sub-forum because I think it fits much better due to its focus on Items/Burn Cards. The name was also changed from "Item Balancing Ideas" to "Burn Card Ideas".
Click here (http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?29530-Burn-Card-Ideas) for the new thread.

Before I show you all the items, let me explain how this list works: every single item is on this list, even if it is not changed at all. Each item has a tag next to its name, and these tags are:
(UNCHANGED!) -Items that have not been changed. Other than a few which have slight name changes, these items are exactly as they appear in the live version of Paladins.
(BUFF!) -Items that have been strengthened in some way. These items are often considered to be too underpowered in the live version of Paladins.
(NERF!) -Items that have been weakened in some way. These items are often considered to be too overpowered in the live version of Paladins.
(BUFF/NERF!) -Items that have been been both strengthened and weakened. These items have mixed reception from players in the live version of Paladins.
(REWORK!) -Items that have been redesigned. These items are reworked completely to fit a better role than they currently have in the live version of Paladins.
(NEW!) -Items that are completely new concepts which I designed based on various champions' playstyles. These items are not in the live version of Paladins.

Anyways, here are my own ideas that I think could help the game.

Attack Items

Bulldozer(BUFF!): Your weapon shots against enemy deployables deal 50% more damage per tier.
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)

Cauterize(NERF!): Your weapon shots against enemy champions reduce the effect of healing by 25% per tier (Formerly 30% per tier).
The effect of Reduce Healing lasts for 1.5 seconds.
Cost: 300/600/900 Credits

Wrecker(UNCHANGED!): Your weapon shots against enemy shields deal 75% more damage per tier.

Aggression(REWORK!): Your weapon shots against enemy champions with less than 50% of their maximum Health deal 5% more damage per tier.
This bonus is doubled against enemy champions with less than 25% of their maximum Health.

Deft Hands(UNCHANGED!): You reload 20% faster per tier.
Cost: 400/800/1200 Credits

Trigger Happy(NEW!): Your weapon fires 5% faster per tier.
For Grover, Sha Lin, and Maeve, this instead decreases the weapon animation times by 5% per tier (Grover will throw his axes faster, Sha Lin will draw his bow faster, and Maeve will toss her knives faster).

Immolate(NEW!): Your weapon shots against enemy champions will now burn them, dealing 10% of your weapon shot's damage over 0.3 seconds. The burn duration stacks from successive weapon shots (For example, if a Viktor with Immolate shoots 25 rounds into the same target, the target will burn for a total of 7.5 seconds).
Immolate only has 1 tier.
Cost: 750 Credits
You cannot buy Immolate if you already have Life Rip.

Defense Items

Illuminate(UNCHANGED!): The range at which you can see stealthed enemies is increased by 50% per tier.
Additionally, name changed from "Illuminate" to "Illumination."
This change is aesthetic.
Cost: 200/400/600

Resilience(REWORK!): The duration of certain harmful status effects is reduced by 20% per tier.
This affects the following: Disarm, Cripple, Fear, Mark, Polymorph, Reveal, Silence, Slow, Stun, Reduce Healing, Attack Speed Slow(Unused), Confusion(Unused), Daze(Unused), Freeze(Unused), Hex(Unused), Root(Unused), and Zombie(Unused).
Cost: 300/600/900 Credits (Formerly 200/400/600 Credits)

Blast Shields(UNCHANGED!): Damage taken by area-of-effect attacks is reduced by 7% per tier.

Haven(UNCHANGED!): Damage taken by single-target attacks is reduced by 7% per tier.

Immunity(NEW!): The potency of certain harmful status effects is reduced by 20% per tier.
This affects the following: Burn, Poison, Slow, Knockback/Knockup, Attack Speed Slow(Unused), Bleed(Unused), and Daze(Unused).

Unbreakable(NEW!): All of your shields (including those granted from Cards) have 10% more health per tier.
Unbreakable can only be bought by Front Line champions.

Life Bonds(NEW!): All damage dealt to allied champions within 50 units of you is reduced by 10%, which is instead redirected to you. Life Bonds does not take effect if you have less than 10% of your maximum Health.
Life Bonds only has 1 tier.
Cost: 1000 Credits
Life Bonds can only be bought by Front Line champions.

Healing Items

Kill to Heal(REWORK!): Upon getting a kill or elimination, you regenerate 25% of your maximum health per tier over a period of time.
The total healing time depends on your current tier of Kill to Heal.
Tier 1: 1 second per 250 healing.
Tier 2: 1 second per 375 healing.
Tier 3: 1 second per 500 healing.
(e.g.: At Kill to Heal tier 1, an Evie regenerates 450 health over 1.8 seconds; while at Kill to Heal tier 2, an Evie regenerates 900 health over 2.4 seconds)
Each individual kill or elimination can only restore up to a maximum of 750 health at tier 1, 1500 health at tier 2, and 2250 health at tier 3.
This limit is in place because champions with large health pools such as Fernando would otherwise heal thousands of their health for each elimination at only tier 1.

Rejuvenate(UNCHANGED!): All healing received by teammates is increased by 10% per tier.
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits

Veteran(REWORK!): After 3 seconds of being out of combat, you regenerate 5% of your maximum health every second.
Note that Veteran stacks with the usual out-of-combat healing.
Veteran now only has 1 tier instead of 3.
Cost: 650 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)
You cannot buy Veteran if you already have Agility.

Life Rip(UNCHANGED!): Your weapon shots gain 10% lifesteal per tier.
You cannot buy Life Rip if you already have Immolate.

Grand Adherent(NEW!): All healing granted to teammates ignores 10% of Reduce Healing per tier.
Grand Adherent can only be bought by Support champions.

Stamina(NEW!): All healing that you give to yourself is increased by 10% per tier.
Utility Items

Master Riding(BUFF/NERF!): Your mount moves 40% faster.
Additionally, name changed from "Master Riding" to "Master Rider."
This change is aesthetic.
Master Rider now only has 1 tier instead of 3.
Cost: 400 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)

Morale Boost(BUFF/NERF!): Your ultimate ability charges 25% faster (Formerly 15% faster per tier).
Morale Boost now only has 1 tier instead of 3.
Cost: 750 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)

Nimble(BUFF!): You gain 10% additional Movement Speed per tier. This stacks with other Movement Speed gains (Formerly did not stack with other Movement Speed gains).

Chronos(UNCHANGED!): Your skills' cooldowns are reduced by 10% per tier.

Agility(NEW!): After 3 seconds of being out of combat, you gain 20% additional Movement Speed per tier while out of combat. This stacks with other Movement Speed gains.
Agility only has 2 tiers.
Cost: 400/800 Credits
You cannot buy Agility if you already have Veteran.

Acrobatic(NEW!): You jump 20% higher per tier.
Additionally, you also have 10% more air control per tier.
(If you are playing as Drogoz, then this item instead increases the maximum vertical speed and distance of your thrusters by 5% per tier).
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits

Altruist(NEW!): Normally, performing actions for your champion's role rewards more credits than usual. Having Altruist greatly increases the amount of credits gained from performing these actions for your champion's role.
Flank champions gain 80% more credits for eliminations on enemies when they are behind enemy lines.
Damage champions gain 60% more credits for dealing damage to enemy champions.
Support champions gain 40% more credits for healing allies.
Front Line champions gain 20% more credits for standing near an objective.
Altruist only has 1 tier.
Cost: 600 Credits

Thanks for reading this all the way through! I'm sure it must have been kinda like finishing a novel.
Anyways, if you have any ideas, be sure to write them.
Tell me what items you think should be balanced.

EnsignTuna
11-11-2016, 09:13 PM
A have an issue with a few of these:

Immolate: It would be borderline broken. Kinessa would be the destorier of worlds with a plus 25% damage bonus, compounded on her already good damage she wouldn't take much recoil damage as only a few shots would kill a target. Compare to to say, grohk, who damages really quickly would take so much recoil damage it would actually be depressing. Broken for high damage, single shot characters (Droko please, no more death) and terribad for constant stream damage chars (Grohk, Fernando, ying, etc.)

Agility: It's just bad. On paper, it's great. People run out-of-combat to heal up (which takes forever) and that extra boost to get you back in the fight helps plenty but consider this: Would you honest pick it over Chronos, Nimble, or even Altruist (which is pretty awesome. Early game shall fear me.)? It just doesn't compare to the amazing usefulness of the other utilities.

DragonNinja386
11-12-2016, 01:35 AM
My thoughts on these changes:

The only current damage burn cards that needs changes are wrecker and cauterize, and immolate is too much damage scaling

Resilience costs too much to be useful, and there are not enough strong damage over time effects to have immunity scale by 10%

Kill to heal would be broken because of the amount of healing for the low cost. I like the change to veteran but the healing should reduced to 3% and heal continuously.

Master riding should have slightly less movement speed or cost slightly more. Agility would be broken on flank champions. Altruist doesn't provide enough impact to justify getting it and there already is a system in place for giving roles additional credits for certain tasks.

Vampragon43
11-12-2016, 12:12 PM
I have just updated the balancing list. I've slightly toned down Immolate and Kill to Heal.
Immolate is now Flank-exclusive.
Life Bonds is now Front Line-exclusive
Agility got some varying changes.

Immolate(NERF!): Slight nerf to the damage scaling of Immolate.
Immolate damage boost changed to 20% (formerly 25%)
Additionally, Immolate is now only purchasable by Flank champions.
As pointed out by EnsignTuna, Immolate would be horribly overpowered for long range/high damage champions such as Kinessa.
It is made for Flank champions, as to make flanking more of a high risk/high reward situation.
Immolate is made to synergize very well with Kill to Heal: when you flank behind someone, you will only get health by going all-out and successfully killing your target. Either you die, or they do, and you will be greatly rewarded when you win a fight.

Kill to Heal(NERF!): Slight nerfs to the healing of the new Kill to Heal.
Kill to Heal duration, as well as the health regeneration per second has been changed to 200/325/450 healing per second (formerly 250/375/500 per second)
Maximum health regen for kills and eliminations changed to 675/1350/2025 health (formerly 750/1500/2250).
-The new Kill to Heal might have been a bit much. I just toned it down ever so slightly.

Life Bonds(BUFF/NERF!): Life Bonds is now only purchasable by Front Line champions.
This change was made for obvious reasons. The item is clearly made exclusively for Front Line champions.

Agility(BUFF/NERF!): Now has 2 tiers, and with reduced costs. Slight buff to out-of-combat move speed.
Maximum tier changed to 2 (formerly 3).
Movement speed while out of combat changed to 25/50% (formerly 22.5/45/67.5%).
Cost changed to 250/500 Credits (formerly 300/600/900 Credits).
Agility was one of those items that has no place among most players, especially since it costed so much for so little. Not to mention that all those Credits spent were just going to an item that essentially has zero difference in combat.
It is only useful for flankers and supports, so the cost is being reduced and you can now only get 2 tiers.

mrpenguin19
11-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I think Aggression needs a rework to even make it worth picking over any other Attack item. I think that it should mark any enemy you hit and then they take 5/10/15% more damage from all sources. That makes it a more team-oriented item and gives it a purpose that's different than the other damage items.

PTLagger
11-12-2016, 04:36 PM
People said nerf Wrecker when it was 50/100/150% but Hirez didn't hear, they just made a buff to 75/150/225%, I have no idea it will be nerfed again
Tenacity: We don't need this card because Resilience also provide both CC and knockback/knockup reduction + cheap price but still rarely to use. If both cards work like you said then they will become totally useless cards in game because noone pick them
After fixed, Veteran now is bad card, need buff to 5/10/15%
Immunity: We used to have this type of card but removed because of how useless it is
Trigger Happy: Increase RoF make someone become more broken, this is a game breaking card
Bulldozer is almost noone pick so don't need a nerf
Aggression should become armor penetration type: Nullified the effect of Blast Shield & Haven by 25/50/75%
Unbreakable I prefer shield should take 10/20/30% less dmg

Azurion
11-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Aggression(UNCHANGED!): Your weapon shots deal 5% more damage per tier.

Your text was nice to read,also very well done. I would like for aggresssion to be 10/20/30% to counter haven. but i guess it was to lower the ttk so i dont know

EvieIV
11-12-2016, 07:01 PM
use 450 credits on an item so that at it the end of the day you get 400 credits for it

yeah i'm taking that

Vampragon43
11-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Honestly, I think Aggression needs a rework to even make it worth picking over any other Attack item. I think that it should mark any enemy you hit and then they take 5/10/15% more damage from all sources. That makes it a more team-oriented item and gives it a purpose that's different than the other damage items.

Although this is a good idea, it would make Aggression into an entirely different card.
I myself have reworked many of the cards in the list, but I think that this sort of "expose weakness" effect that you are thinking of should actually have its own card instead of being put onto an existing one.

In the next update for this list, I will probably add this as a new card.
But I do agree with you, Aggression probably needs a rework, and I have a few ideas that I might put in later.

Vampragon43
02-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Okay, so let me start off by saying that this thread has been outdated for a very long time now. I have decided that it is time to finally update this. As such, without further ado, I bring a massive update to the thread. Almost everything has changed in some way. It might be better to just read the main thread. Regardless, here are the changes:

Attack Items

Bulldozer(BUFF!): Reverted the deployable damage bonus, and reduced the cost.
Changed bonus damage against deployables to 50% per tier (Formerly 40% per tier).
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)

Cauterize(BUFF!): Slight buff to Cauterize.
Changed the Reduce Healing effect to 25% per tier (Formerly 20% per tier).

Wrecker(REVERTED!): Reverted the shield damage bonus.
Changed bonus damage against shields to 75% per tier (formerly 40% per tier).

Aggression(REWORK!): Completely reworked Aggression.
Your weapon shots against enemy champions with less than 50% of their maximum Health deal 5% more damage per tier.
This bonus is doubled against enemy champions with less than 25% of their maximum Health.
Aggression has been the joke of the community ever since it was released. People like Kinessa players would always rush it, thinking it to be a good item. It was such a bad item that it was removed in Open Beta Patch 42 (OB42). Drybear has stated that it could come back later, and I think that this rework could be a great way for it to be re-added into the game.
Cost: 300/600/900 Credits (Formerly 400/800/1200 Credits)

Trigger Happy(BUFF!): Trigger Happy now affects Grover, Sha Lin, and Maeve.
In addition to making your weapon fire 5% faster per tier, Trigger Happy also decreases the time it takes for Grover, Sha Lin, and Maeve to fire their weapons by 5% per tier.
This change was made because at the moment, there are no good Attack Items for any of these three champions. Sure, Sha Lin could get Wrecker, but it's completely situational nonetheless. This change would give those three champions a modest Attack Item that can help them out a bit.

Immolate(REWORK!): Completely reworked Immolate.
Your weapon shots against enemy champions will now burn them, dealing 20% of your weapon shot's damage over 0.3 seconds. The burn duration stacks from successive weapon shots; for example, if a Viktor with Immolate shoots 25 rounds into the same target, the target will burn for a total of 7.5 seconds.
The problem with the old Immolate was that it was only useful for high damage burst champions. Not only does this rework fix that problem, but its damage-over-time effect makes Immunity fit into the list much better than before.
Immolate only has 1 tier.
Cost: 750 Credits
You cannot buy Immolate if you already have Life Rip.

Defense Items

Resilience(BUFF/NERF!): Slight changes to the CC reduction.
Changed the hard CC reduction to 35% per tier (Formerly 25% per tier).
Changed the Reduce Healing reduction to 25% per tier (Formerly 35% per tier)
Resilience only has 2 tiers.
Cost: 450/700 Credits

Immunity(BUFF!): Reduced the cost of Immunity.
Cost: 200/400/600 Credits (Formerly 300/600/900 Credits)[/SIZE]

Unbreakable(BUFF!): Reduced the cost of Unbreakable.
Cost: 300/600/900 Credits (Formerly 400/800/1200 Credits

Healing Items

Veteran(BUFF/NERF!): Several changes to Veteran.
Changed Veteran's unique out-of-combat timer to 3 seconds (Formerly 4 seconds).
Changed the health regeneration rate to 5% of your maximum health every second (Formerly 4% of your maximum Health every 0.85 seconds).
Veteran is now cancelled upon firing your weapon, just like the normal out-of-combat healing.
Veteran only has 1 tier.
Cost: 400 Credits
You cannot buy Veteran if you already have Agility.

Life Rip(BUFF!): Slight buffs to Life Rip.
Changed the effect of Life Rip to 13% Lifesteal per tier (Formerly 10% Lifesteal per tier).

Grand Adherent(REWORK!): Completely reworked Grand Adherent.
All healing granted to teammates ignores 5% of Reduce Healing per tier.

Utility Items

Morale Boost(BUFF/NERF!): Reduced the cost of Morale Boost.
Morale Boost only has 1 tier.
Cost: 750 Credits (Formerly 1000 Credits)

Nimble(BUFF/NERF!): Nimble received a few changes.
Changed bonus to 10% additional Movement Speed per tier (Formerly 12.5% Movement Speed per tier).
Nimble now grants additional Movement Speed, which means that it stacks with other Movement Speed gains (Formerly did not stack with other Movement Speed gains).

Altruist(NEW!): Greatly buffed credit bonuses of Altruist, but increased the cost.
Flank champions gain 80% more credits for eliminations on enemies when they are behind enemy lines (Formerly 20% bonus for Flank champions).
Damage champions gain 60% more credits for dealing damage to enemy champions (Formerly 10% bonus for Damage champions).
Support champions gain 40% more credits for healing allies (Formerly 15% bonus for Support champions).
Front Line champions gain 20% more credits for standing near an objective (Formerly 5% bonus for Front Line champions).
As stated by EvieIV, the original Altruist would be a very ineffective item. So, I have massively increased the bonuses provided by it, and clarified on how the bonuses work.
Altruist only has 1 tier.
Cost: 600 Credits (Formerly 500 Credits)

Vampragon43
02-15-2017, 03:23 PM
So, everyone, I've decided to move this thread to the "Card Concepts" sub-forum. This is because while this does focus on balancing, it also is a massive concept for Burn Cards all on its own with many new additions to the item store.

Click here ("http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?29530-Burn-Card-Ideas&p=174827) for the new thread.