PDA

View Full Version : Character Balance

Ixim
11-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Now I won't act like I'm a Comp player(I play for fun first anyhow), but it seems that my huge experience with MOBAs and etc paid off after all. Never mind that, these are my impressions with the characters:

SUPPORT:

Ying: She's a very nice character which just evokes the sense of Illusions with her every skill. I'd just change the Ult, not only is it kinda useless, but it's not creative as well. Maybe some form of Wall of Illusions like Ish'Kafael has in DoTA? Would suit the character, no doubt. Besides that, her healing is very high, but she has NOTHING beside it, so I think that she shouldn't be touched. Cards are ok as well.

Grohk: He's a very nice Support, but is very dependent on the team composition. He's practically useless without two tank setup. But with that setup, he's a beastly healer. If there is one thing I'd like to see buffed is his ult. Either double the damage done or increase Area + # of targets struck. Cards are ok.

Pip: A very nice fire support, not so much of a healer. He's overall nice, isn't OP...one of those Paragons of balance in Paladins imo.

Grover: He has a VERY weird design, but still manages to be effective. If I could ask for a thing is if he had more hp? I mean, he has to go everywhere with a pack and that makes him perhaps the most vulnerable Healer. I'd like to see the Blossom CD redux card buffed though. -2s is NOTHING on 16s skill. Besides that, I feel he's an ok character. Very weird though.

Mal'Damba: Yet another support who can do a lot of things, yet isn't completely broken. I like the design of his Gourd(you've to choose whether you want to zone someone or heal someone) and he is overall nice. Not terribly effective though. But he can get the job done.

FRONTLINE: Frontliners are currently dominating the scene of Paladins. While I as a primary Tank player shouldn't really complain about this, auto wins when you pick duplets(2x Tank / 2x Healer) are...nonsense stemming mostly from the fact how actually powerful the Tanks are.

Fernando: The (self appointed) king of Paladins. He is so very effective in protection and tank duties and can harass nicely too. After the nerf of Charge, he's no longer Flanknando, but still can pressure nicely. DPS is abysmal though...which just shows how balanced he actually is currently. The problem is not within him but in other things(items, compositions etc). Perhaps buff the Fireball to +75%? Or do it via a card so he gets back +100%, but has to pick a lvl 4 card?

Makoa: Something's off with this character. I mean, besides his hook, he is...kinda useless. The point is his shield has a huge cooldown which isn't impacted with its duration(like Barik's is). This is highly problematic because a) that shield has only 6k base(7k buffed) b) it doesn't block people from passing like Fernando's does c) it lasts 6s TOPS(the shortest amount iirc). I'd change just one thing about Makoa: Make the cooldown for his shield start when he ACTIVATES the shield, not when the shield ENDS. This'd mean that with a bit of skill and a certain card / item combo, you could've perma shield(just like Barik can). Cards are ok but kinda weird.

Barik: I like how customisable the Dwarf really is. You can have Bunker Dwarf, Turret Dwarf and various other nice gimmicks. He isn't hard to deal with too due to a presence of Bulldozer. I feel like he's overall very nicely balanced. Tho, perhaps he doesn't really fit in Paladins design(same as Kinessa): TOO STATIC.

Ruckus: Ah yes, the DPS Tank. I don't like him that much, but that's because he can't really do what he's meant to do(Capture points, protect people etc). Meanwhile, he does have quite some damage, but he's so easy to counter and outplay. I don't know about him. A buff, a redesign of some things, perhaps a whole rework...? I mean, he alternates between completely useless and iWin mode. Those are some huge amplitudes.

DAMAGE:

Cassie: She's what I'd call an OP character. Has huge damage, no matter the range, full visibility of field(unlike Viktor or Kine in their Sniper modes), huge accuracy, huge mobility, TWO knockbacks, a HEAL...I mean, the only two things that are missing are Stealth and a Shield. I mean, you open on her as a Flank and what happens? KB -> Arrow Cushion. GG. Try to snipe her? Get sniped back in 2x the speed. Chase? nope. She definitely needs a whole soft rework imo. This is not working. Actually it is working too good. That's the problem.

Kinessa: I somehow feel like she doesn't really belong in Paladins. I mean, yes she's very effective and what not, but she's so...static. And one trick pony, it's the same deal with her as it is with Ruckus imo. Based on team comp, she either obliterates enemies or doesn't do squiggly shit. I'd rework her Teleporter if nothing else. 2s to teleport out of danger is...nonsense.

Viktor: The noob character. VERY low recoil, very good accuracy, very good damage etc. But he isn't really OP(in fact he's very easy to defeat). His cards could be though. They really need some looking into. Is he annoying(when you play at the edge of your seat and give it all you've got as a Tank while a Vik just rolls his face on keyboard and wins)? YES. Doubly so when your Flank doesn't know what he's supposed to do. But he's so vulnerable. A good entry point Damage character imo.

Drogoz: Such a potential, lol! Only his wombo combo deals like 2,5k AoE damage! :O . He also contests points too easily. But is vulnerable as shit. There is just one think I'd DEFINITELY look into: the rate of his ult charging. So, the counter to him is Fernando, right? Why is it that on an average game, Fernando will have 2-3 ults and Drogoz like 4-6? This needs looking into. Oh and the double spit card too. Everything else is fine imo.

Bomb King: A very tactical character. Not for everyone. Still very effective in the right hands. Meh in the average hands. Nothing else to say about him really.

FLANK:

Skye: Ah yes. I don't feel like she's that powerful. Her bolts are woefully inaccurate outside of practically melee range(making her VERY easy to counter), she is countered by TWO blue items(either Haven or Illuminate will do), ult is kinda useful-ish etc. Still, she can counter the damagers and healers just nicely. Would I change something about her? Yes. I'd merge the increased MS while invisible cards into one card. I feel like this way doesn't accomplish anything and is ineffective to boot. With this simple change, she could be very nice, yes.

Evie: A wickedly fun character to play. I love the blink play style. But I feel like she's kinda powerless to actually influence the teamfights and other important things(Skye at least has her bomb). The Ice Block skill is stupid, change it to Frost Nova skill(either PBAoE or GTAoE, the same really). Her ult is like an offensive version of Grohk's ultimate, but the difference is that...Grohk can just hide within a group and Surge it with power(healing, hasting etc), while Evie has to blink in and do a VERY DANGEROUS maneuver with practically nothing that important happening(tho, the Cripple is nice, I guess). She needs to be really looked upon. Even if it means toning down the blink style, which I'd be very sad to see go, it still needs to happen.

Androxus: He is practically a Damage character and a Flank in one. Very, very strong. Ult is game changing too. I feel like he could use some nerfs, but I don't really know where. Maybe just one or two dashes? Even two is wickedly powerful...three is obscene. Sorry to say this, but imagine Nemesis with a triple dash...yeah right. He does require quite some skill, but he's too powerful imo.

Buck: The scapegoat. Look, I don't play him. But I don't necessarily consider him a threat too. He's a far weaker version of Hercules, really. Just look, his AA is 600 damage(and not guaranteed to be even that lol!). The only thing he has is his hp and his heal skill. The heal is simple to deal with(Cauterise?) and hp...I wouldn't touch it. He isn't that powerful, people just need to realise some things. His ult is also...very lol. One of the worse ones for sure. Compare it to Andro, Drog, Skye etc ults and see where you end up.

OVERALL: I'd say that the overall state of a game is healthy as long as gimmicks aren't present(triple tanks, the duplets etc). Should those gimmicks be possible to happen? Perhaps. But should be easier to counter. Just imo.

oTecx
11-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Idk about the supports, i used to play pip/grover but i stopped. I still pick grover now and then since he's not that squishy, but he's boring and weak when caught in a 1v1.

Frontlines for me, from best to worst. Makoa-Fernando-Barik-----------Ruckus
Nando is good, but if they get wrecker, almost useless. Barik is, as you state, static. But he's ok.

Makoa: Something's off with this character. I mean, besides his hook, he is...kinda useless. The point is his shield has a huge cooldown which isn't impacted with its duration(like Barik's is). This is highly problematic because a) that shield has only 6k base(7k buffed) b) it doesn't block people from passing like Fernando's does c) it lasts 6s TOPS(the shortest amount iirc). I'd change just one thing about Makoa: Make the cooldown for his shield start when he ACTIVATES the shield, not when the shield ENDS. This'd mean that with a bit of skill and a certain card / item combo, you could've perma shield(just like Barik can). Cards are ok but kinda weird.

That's because makoa isn't meant to be played like fernando/barik. I stay behind the point and dredge anchor anyone who comes on it, pull him close into a crossfire next to my team and take the enemies apart one by one. I only use my shield when the enemies come back from spawn and we are on the point, not when they are close. Nothing wrong with makoa imo.

Cassie: She's what I'd call an OP character. Has huge damage, no matter the range, full visibility of field(unlike Viktor or Kine in their Sniper modes), huge accuracy, huge mobility, TWO knockbacks, a HEAL...I mean, the only two things that are missing are Stealth and a Shield. I mean, you open on her as a Flank and what happens? KB -> Arrow Cushion. GG. Try to snipe her? Get sniped back in 2x the speed. Chase? nope. She definitely needs a whole soft rework imo. This is not working. Actually it is working too good. That's the problem.

Yes, and huge hitboxes for her arrows.

Ruckus: Ah yes, the DPS Tank. I don't like him that much, but that's because he can't really do what he's meant to do(Capture points, protect people etc). Meanwhile, he does have quite some damage, but he's so easy to counter and outplay. I don't know about him. A buff, a redesign of some things, perhaps a whole rework...? I mean, he alternates between completely useless and iWin mode. Those are some huge amplitudes.

Yep, but i haven't really had problem dealing with him tbh. His shields are useless against dredge anchor because they don't block the skill like fernando's shield.

Kinessa: I somehow feel like she doesn't really belong in Paladins. I mean, yes she's very effective and what not, but she's so...static. And one trick pony, it's the same deal with her as it is with Ruckus imo. Based on team comp, she either obliterates enemies or doesn't do squiggly shit. I'd rework her Teleporter if nothing else. 2s to teleport out of danger is...nonsense.

Well, if she can deal huge damage and escape perfecly, she's the next OP hero in this game.
No danger in playing her then.

Viktor: The noob character. VERY low recoil, very good accuracy, very good damage etc. But he isn't really OP(in fact he's very easy to defeat). His cards could be though. They really need some looking into. Is he annoying(when you play at the edge of your seat and give it all you've got as a Tank while a Vik just rolls his face on keyboard and wins)? YES. Doubly so when your Flank doesn't know what he's supposed to do. But he's so vulnerable. A good entry point Damage character imo.

Yes, but indeed as you say, very weak in close range.

Drogoz: Such a potential, lol! Only his wombo combo deals like 2,5k AoE damage! :O . He also contests points too easily. But is vulnerable as shit. There is just one think I'd DEFINITELY look into: the rate of his ult charging. So, the counter to him is Fernando, right? Why is it that on an average game, Fernando will have 2-3 ults and Drogoz like 4-6? This needs looking into. Oh and the double spit card too. Everything else is fine imo.

Yep on the vulnerable, yep on the ult.

Regarding flanks, not enough experience of this to comment.
You seem to have played them alot more then me ;).
Nice post though, alot of good points.

Ixim
11-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Idk about the supports, i used to play pip/grover but i stopped. I still pick grover now and then since he's not that squishy, but he's boring and weak when caught in a 1v1.

Frontlines for me, from best to worst. Makoa-Fernando-Barik-----------Ruckus
Nando is good, but if they get wrecker, almost useless. Barik is, as you state, static. But he's ok.

That's because makoa isn't meant to be played like fernando/barik. I stay behind the point and dredge anchor anyone who comes on it, pull him close into a crossfire next to my team and take the enemies apart one by one. I only use my shield when the enemies come back from spawn and we are on the point, not when they are close. Nothing wrong with makoa imo.

Yes, and huge hitboxes for her arrows.

Yep, but i haven't really had problem dealing with him tbh. His shields are useless against dredge anchor because they don't block the skill like fernando's shield.

Well, if she can deal huge damage and escape perfecly, she's the next OP hero in this game.
No danger in playing her then.

Yes, but indeed as you say, very weak in close range.

Yep on the vulnerable, yep on the ult.

Regarding flanks, not enough experience of this to comment.
You seem to have played them alot more then me ;).
Nice post though, alot of good points.

Thank you. Every bit of constructive criticism is very welcome.

I'd just cut the sniper from Kinessa and make her into a fire support Carbine user. I just...it doesn't really feel in place here. But then again, it didn't in UT either and they always had a Ltng.Gun / Sniper Rifle etc. The only type of a shooter where it DOES feel in place are highly tactical shooters like BF(at least used to be) or R6: Siege. Because, guess what? A Sniper IS a highly tactical weapon, quite unlike a Carbine and the like. Strategic even. Yeah, it is strategic, not tactical. My bad.

PTLagger
11-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Agree with Drogoz, his Ult rate charge up extremely fast if he use Fire Spit combined with Morale Boost card. A FlankNando (always deal dmg to gain Ult) only have enough 1 Ult without Morale Boost and 1,5 if maxed Morale Boost in a round, this even 2x worse for DefendNando build while Drogoz with Morale Boost can has double amount of Ult, mean he can perform Ult 3-4 times in a round, and if Drogoz doesn't hit anybody, he still have 30% Ult left then gain Ult back fast by double Fire Spit combo

Ixim
11-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Agree with Drogoz, his Ult rate charge up extremely fast if he use Fire Spit combined with Morale Boost card. A FlankNando (always deal dmg to gain Ult) only have enough 1 Ult without Morale Boost and 1,5 if maxed Morale Boost in a round, this even 2x worse for DefendNando build while Drogoz with Morale Boost can has double amount of Ult, mean he can perform Ult 3-4 times in a round, and if Drogoz doesn't hit anybody, he still have 30% Ult left then gain Ult back fast by double Fire Spit combo

Yeah, I play Tank Fernando and it is painful going vs Drogoz. It's like 3:1 in ults in his favour O.o . Or 2:1 if a guy doesn't know what he is doing. It is...ugh.

TheCheesemaster
11-02-2016, 11:48 PM
I just gotta point out that the counter to Drogoz is not Fernando, it's Ying, she's the only one that can counter Drogoz's ult, with her illusions.

Mundal
11-04-2016, 02:23 AM

Man that spit-blast combo charges ultra like every 30 seconds with morale boost. LOL

Tsuraika
11-04-2016, 02:38 AM
I just gotta point out that the counter to Drogoz is not Fernando, it's Ying, she's the only one that can counter Drogoz's ult, with her illusions.

He's not a counter but he can counter drogoz ultimate with his own reactively, it's just most the time drogoz has his ult up more.