PDA

View Full Version : Ying Too Risk Free

TheManlyFairy
10-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Whenever I play Ying, I feel like she doesn't do as much work as her own illusions and she lacks posing as a real threat in the game. Sure she's probably the best healer, but from what I can tell by other supports, Paladins doesn't aim to give this class such a passive gameplay style, but Ying does exactly that. Here's why:

For starters, Ying is the only support class without any form of crowd control in her abilities or cards, and therefore only poses a threat in her sustained healing capabilities. This takes me to the second point - her illusions are TOO reliable. I can increase their duration and health, and with the ability to create new ones every 4 seconds and actually reduce that short cooldown with her loadout, I almost never have to take any risk and get near a fight. Take a look at these two cards:
1. Encouragement - eliminations reduce all active CD by 1/2/3/4 seconds.
2. Spring Bloom - illusions killed by enemies reduce the CD of Illusion by 0.5/1/1.5/2 seconds.
These two cards together give me the ability to recast Illusion at insane speed, and when combined with the Brittle card to reduce the CD of Shatter by up to 2 seconds, I can also deal potentially very consistent high damage, all of this with very minimal enemy engagement myself. Smart Ying players could probably get through a game without taking much damage and give their team an endless supply of healing, and all they need to do is keep calm and make sure there are 2 illusions on the field.

I think a good way to fix this is to give Ying an active healing mechanic in her basic attack to keep her closer to the team, reduce illusions healing per second to 300 and reduce the bonus health from Squadron to 50 per level. This way Ying would feel more proactive and she will have to skillfully make sure her illusions are around to help heal the team with her.

Demonbane
10-17-2016, 08:06 AM
The reason why ying looks like that now is because her previous skills and builds in closed beta is very OP, her leftclick is insane and the shatter damage does more damage than the bomb king right now( he is bit op back then too).

CookieLady666
10-21-2016, 07:40 AM
When you look at loadouts of top players, these cards aren't actually as popular, shifting in favor of the duration and health of illusions instead, combined with buffing Ying's personal survivability.

I admit, if you manage to explode 3 illusions on someone, the damage is monstrous, and it feels weird to be able to 1-shot Androxus as Ying, but then again it has its minuses. You trade off your healing when you use Shatter, and it has a big window of time to destroy the illusions, or kill you before they explode. Illusion assault is a cheese tactic that will work on people who don't know what they're doing, but otherwise it's not that amazing and your healing becomes abysmal if you are trying too hard to do damage.

I personally think Ying's ultimate is not as impactful as others, since healing shards are destroyable, and the heal is hardly felt by characters like Fernando or Makoa. It's a decent ultimate, but I think you'd agree it's not really that game-changing compared to other ults. I think her Illusions are rightfully strong. Without them she'd feel lackluster.

Ying is still prone to flanking, and her Dimensional link is nicely countered by characters with supreme moblity, also known as Flankers.
Slap some Cauterize on your attacks and you're good to go.

Remember - if you make the choice to do 5% increased damage, instead of more than halving the enemy's tens of thousands points of healing, it's your own mistake and you shouldn't blame the character you've willingly refused to counter.

I can't express enough how absurdly painful it is to see yet another blasted Viktor picking Aggression when the enemy has Grover, Makoa, and Buck. He really thinks his tiny increase in damage will cut through their insane sustain. Seeing this poor tank trying to make some use of lvl 1 Cauterize he could barely afford, because none of the damage dealers thought it's a good buy, is just sad. Don't be that damage dealer. Buy heal reduction. It's a game-winning choice.

Rivx
10-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Being far away from the fight doesn't mean that you're 'risk free' because flankers in this game are pretty good at their job. Your best bet is spreading your illusions far enough apart to escape but not too far so they can still heal the tanks, which doesn't really allow you to stand too far back or you won't have line of sight on those 'sweet spots'.