PDA

View Full Version : Mal'Damba Impressions

Laserman
10-13-2016, 10:02 AM
To start off, I haven't played him that much yet and because you don't start with free cards on him I haven't made a custom deck yet.

Now lets get right into it.

Due to the projectile curve of both the reload snake and the basic globs of venom, I feel like Mal'Damba has to be played very close to the enemy team. This seems kind of awkward for a healer since usually they'll be further away than you are, thus putting you in a situation where you have to keep turning around to heal your allies or attack the enemies. If he was intended to be close to the enemies, I suppose you've succeeded. If it wasn't the case, you might want to do some alterations to allow him to shoot further, maybe add a card for this purpose?

I feel like the reload snake needs a very slight buff in one specific situation. I noticed that the easiest target to hit reliable was Ruckus, because he's very obvious to spot around corners and such due to his constant firing. Due to this I was often targeting him with the reload snake, however something really annoying I noticed was that the stun was too short to reset his firing speed. As such, I think making reload snake reset Ruckus's minigun firing speed would help him out a lot.

Mending spirits feels nice and not too strong or weak, however I feel like there needs to be an instant feedback for whether or not you actually hit an ally. I know you can see the little green + signs appearing when they start regenerating but you need to stand and look at a character to see that and it can be hard from further away. Thus a glowing outline on the character you hit and/or an audio cue would go a long way.

I feel like slither is practically useless in the current state due to the fact you can't control it and how short it is. If you're out in the open, due to how short it is, you'll still be able to get hit. If you're in a more closed area, you'll often get stuck on walls and thus not be able to escape. So unless you're extremely comfortable with the maps I feel like it can't be used as an escape and is instead a chasing tool or a very very short invulnerability. If you're afraid it'll be too similar to Grohk's spirit form, allow a slight steering of the movement, similar to Sion's ultimate ability in League of Legends.

Gourd feels sort of weak on its own, but I don't think it's supposed to be too strong. However I feel it should have a slight slow on enemies, so you can toss it at your feet when you're being chased to enlarge the gap. This could again be added as a card. 5/10/15/20% movement reduction to the enemies in the gourd seems perfectly fine in my opinion, though that might make everyone pick the card so it might have to be a bit lower.

Dread Serpent seems like the best tweaked ability, it does exactly what it seeks to do. If I had to suggest a change here, I'd say make the outside edges stand out slightly more, I've accidentally walked into it before not knowing where exactly it started.

Overall, I'd say at the moment he's a slightly underpowered character riding the unfamiliarity to victory. I expect him to be picked rather little (atleast in regular pub matches) after the initial hype calms down.

Hesphaestus
10-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Due to the projectile curve of both the reload snake and the basic globs of venom, I feel like Mal'Damba has to be played very close to the enemy team. This seems kind of awkward for a healer since usually they'll be further away than you are, thus putting you in a situation where you have to keep turning around to heal your allies or attack the enemies. If he was intended to be close to the enemies, I suppose you've succeeded. If it wasn't the case, you might want to do some alterations to allow him to shoot further, maybe add a card for this purpose?

I feel like slither is practically useless in the current state due to the fact you can't control it and how short it is. If you're out in the open, due to how short it is, you'll still be able to get hit. If you're in a more closed area, you'll often get stuck on walls and thus not be able to escape. So unless you're extremely comfortable with the maps I feel like it can't be used as an escape and is instead a chasing tool or a very very short invulnerability. If you're afraid it'll be too similar to Grohk's spirit form, allow a slight steering of the movement, similar to Sion's ultimate ability in League of Legends.

His kit felt awkward to me at first. But im starting to develop a playstyle of being a semi-flanker/support. That means you position yourself at the side of the team, use your heals to keep your team but you try to go for any overextended character. Mal damba is great at getting into the enemy's face with slither so use that to your advantage. but you've got to be careful with how you do it. The mentally is kinda similar to Ying where on ying its more of a when to heal and when to shatter, but on Mal damba its knowing when to play the role of a flanker and when to support your team

I feel like the reload snake needs a very slight buff in one specific situation. I noticed that the easiest target to hit reliable was Ruckus, because he's very obvious to spot around corners and such due to his constant firing. Due to this I was often targeting him with the reload snake, however something really annoying I noticed was that the stun was too short to reset his firing speed. As such, I think making reload snake reset Ruckus's minigun firing speed would help him out a lot.

I feel that the reload should be difficult to hit. I mean he kinda has 1 more ability than all other champions so this stun should be difficult to hit. Granted ive missed the stun myself many times

Gourd feels sort of weak on its own, but I don't think it's supposed to be too strong. However I feel it should have a slight slow on enemies, so you can toss it at your feet when you're being chased to enlarge the gap. This could again be added as a card. 5/10/15/20% movement reduction to the enemies in the gourd seems perfectly fine in my opinion, though that might make everyone pick the card so it might have to be a bit lower.

I find the gourd good as an aoe heal. Not so much as a direct heal meant to sustain my team more of a to prop everyone and myself up. I think its just nice where it is and shouldnt be buff as it can both heal and kill enemies

Mending spirits feels nice and not too strong or weak, however I feel like there needs to be an instant feedback for whether or not you actually hit an ally. I know you can see the little green + signs appearing when they start regenerating but you need to stand and look at a character to see that and it can be hard from further away. Thus a glowing outline on the character you hit and/or an audio cue would go a long way.

Dread Serpent seems like the best tweaked ability, it does exactly what it seeks to do. If I had to suggest a change here, I'd say make the outside edges stand out slightly more, I've accidentally walked into it before not knowing where exactly it started.

Totally agree with all this

Overall, I'd say at the moment he's a slightly underpowered character riding the unfamiliarity to victory. I expect him to be picked rather little (atleast in regular pub matches) after the initial hype calms down.

I think, in the right hands, he can be powerful, being able to save a teammate from halfway across the map gives him alot of power. I dont think he's underpowered, i think he just requires a high skill cap and knowledge on positioning to do well

Laserman
10-13-2016, 01:38 PM
I feel that the reload should be difficult to hit. I mean he kinda has 1 more ability than all other champions so this stun should be difficult to hit. Granted ive missed the stun myself many times

Well what I requested wasn't to make it easier to land, but making it actually interrupt Ruckus' miniguns. As it stands, he just springs up from the stun and is straight back to wrecking everything with max firing speed miniguns

I think, in the right hands, he can be powerful, being able to save a teammate from halfway across the map gives him alot of power. I dont think he's underpowered, i think he just requires a high skill cap and knowledge on positioning to do well

Well, if you need high skill to perform equal to another character, that means he's underpowered, since worse players on other characters will do the same or better.

But yeah, I don't think it's time to get out nerfs & buffs immediately, think a change to slither & the aforementioned reload snake stun "buff" will put him in a good spot