PDA

View Full Version : A game I want to like...

BeoXS
09-30-2016, 05:17 PM
While I have only played for 79 minutes, I have some thoughts on my experience that I hope can add to the development of Paladins.

First let me say this, there are good things and bad things about every game and I understand that. So I do not believe there ever will be a perfect game...ever. The good of Paladins shines through pretty brightly. It's action is paced well, good range of characters for a Beta, art design is nice, and though I have only had a few fun moments it's really fun experiencing them. But I have some real issues with some parts of the game play.

My biggest issue is a tactical one. A few of the matches that I've played have been slaughter-fests, total decimation by the other team. In these situations I have wanted so badly to change my character to something else to see if I can help out my team in a different way. It' so frustrating when you are being so dominated by the other side and the only thing you can do is take the punishment. Paladins, to say the least, is not fun in these moments. (Can you say rage-quit?:mad:) Now I know that I have only played for a short time and there is the possibility that there may be a way to do this that I simply missed, but this brings up another thing, clarity.

Paladins has a clarity issue. I went through the training tutorial and thought that I was supposed to go through a series of exercises to learn how to play, but instead I get an endless number of NPCs to kill...and kill...and kill...and kill...get the idea? There was no mention of what to do. It kinda sucks as a "training" area. What's the point? It's not to learn how to play. You just walk from room to room kill an endless number of respawning enemies.

Getting back to tactical issues, why can't I reload my weapon? Better yet why do I have to reload a bow? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. To be honest it looks like lazy design to me. I can understand that you would need to reload Victor's assault rifle, but Cassie's arrows......really?

Now let me get into some of the things that you may be tired of but may be helpful. I absolutely want Paladins to be fun. While I missed the Overwatch Beta, I was able to play the free weekend Blizzard had a couple of weeks ago and it was some of the most fun I had playing online multiplayer in a very long time. In 3 days I think I logged about 20 hours. This is very unusual for me. Needless to say there is an interest. Also, I grew up in GA and I like to support "local" companies as much as I can. I don't want Paladins to be a clone of Overwatch, and I don't think it is, but I think there are some lessons to be learned from what they did:

1) Smooth game play. Paladins has it's moments but there have been some lag issues when I get to the capture points. And I have Gigabit Internet.

2) Distinctive maps. Everything looks the same to me. If you see the same thing over and over again things get boring.

3) Unique weapons. While there are some unique looking weapons, they are too similar in play. Tracer and Junkrat are very distinct.

4) Tighter hitboxes. Nothing is more frustrating that having someone miss you on screen and you still die. Just sayin'

Other than that, I believe you guys at Hi-Rez are on a good path, there just needs to be a lot of tweeking along the way. Unfortunately, at the moment it's just too frustrating for me. I'll have to wait until things get a little tighter....or else I will have to replace a few keyboards. I can't afford that right now.

Jusey1
09-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Ori & The Blind Forest: Definitive Edition is a perfect game, just saying.

Anyways, I do agree with some of the points mention but we're still in Beta, so who knows! They might be addressed or already planned to be addressed.

Lavtekk
09-30-2016, 05:32 PM
My biggest issue is a tactical one. A few of the matches that I've played have been slaughter-fests, total decimation by the other team. In these situations I have wanted so badly to change my character to something else to see if I can help out my team in a different way. It' so frustrating when you are being so dominated by the other side and the only thing you can do is take the punishment. Paladins, to say the least, is not fun in these moments. (Can you say rage-quit?:mad:) Now I know that I have only played for a short time and there is the possibility that there may be a way to do this that I simply missed, but this brings up another thing, clarity.

No. Just no.
This is not Team Fortress 2.
What you choose, matters. So think before picking, there's no way back and there shouldn't be. It's and strategy game (besides action-shooter), you have to think, before doing.
If you get totally rekt because of picks, then you're not making the right choises, you or your team. And that's why there is a Lobby chat, so you can coordinate BEFORE doing anything.

Paladins has a clarity issue. I went through the training tutorial and thought that I was supposed to go through a series of exercises to learn how to play, but instead I get an endless number of NPCs to kill...and kill...and kill...and kill...get the idea? There was no mention of what to do. It kinda sucks as a "training" area. What's the point? It's not to learn how to play. You just walk from room to room kill an endless number of respawning enemies.

That's because you're joining Shooting Range, you can practice with AI to learn the basics while playing. Altough there's not much to learn, it's pretty basic, capture the objectiv then push the payload. Anything else you learn by playing.
Training is not the same than Tutorial, there's no tutorial.

Getting back to tactical issues, why can't I reload my weapon? Better yet why do I have to reload a bow? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. To be honest it looks like lazy design to me. I can understand that you would need to reload Victor's assault rifle, but Cassie's arrows......really?

I kind of agree with this, perhaps Cassie should be like Grover. I think that the developers gave her ammo because she's damage healer and infinite ammo would be kinda OP. Anyway it doesn't really changes much, the reload speed is pretty low and you can buy a card to make it even faster.

Zeleen
09-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Keep playing. Everything will make more sense and fall into place within 3-5 hours of play. Ideally if you get founder and build a couple decks too.

FenexDragonis
09-30-2016, 07:57 PM
My biggest issue is a tactical one. A few of the matches that I've played have been slaughter-fests, total decimation by the other team.

welcome to hi-rez matchmaking... smite has had this exact same problem for almost 2 years and they refuse to acknowledge any problem, much less do anything about it... so i wouldn't expect it to be handled any differently here

Teamstack get easy wins... Solo queue = have a bad time

KuroDWalker
09-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Perfect Game! Perfect Life!

LenniePlop
10-03-2016, 02:55 PM
I totally agree with it all, except the hitboxes, because tighter hitboxes can be a nightmare for characters like androxus