PDA

View Full Version : Hard Counter - Cauterize

CountCarrion
09-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Burn Cards in general, in their current state, feel like placeholders; filling space where a deeper system should be. But I'm not going to talk about the whole system now, just one card: Cauterize.

Cauterize is one of four Attack cards, which creates a debuff on players you hit, reducing healing they receive by 30/60/90% for 2 seconds; costing 300/600/900 for each level, respectively.

See the table below for the actual in-game numbers.

Support Champion
Healing @ Cauterize 0
Healing @ Cauterize 1
Healing @ Cauterize 2
Healing @ Cauterize 3

Pip

Grohk
340/s
238/s
136/s
34/s

Grohk Ult.
1000/s
700/s
400/s
100/s

Grover

Grover Ult.

Ying*
400/s
280/s
160/s
40/s

*Ying's Ultimate has the same HP/s as her Illusion.

Needless to say, this seems a little unfair towards Supports; for a relatively meager 900 credits you can effectively cut their healing by more than half, greatly reducing the value of that Champion's presence. Not completely of course, but still by a relatively huge amount, and this is my problem with it at the end of the day: no other class of, or individual Champions can have such a large part of their kit be countered so wholly and easily by a Burn Card which anybody can take.

A Barik, Fernando, Ruckus, Kinessa or Grohk buying up Cauterize can reliably keep the debuff going on multiple enemies at once, if not the whole team, and this makes any healing on that team not completely, but often effectively useless.

So I think that, at least as a temporary solution, the card should be changed so that:
Cauterize reduces healing by 15/30/45%, and its price changes to 200/400/600 to reflect the reduced strength.
I feel that this would move it away from being such a hard counter against Supports, and more towards being a viable utility to hinder the enemy's sustain.

Thoughts?

VarenWolf
09-28-2016, 04:39 PM
lol 900 gold really, nice you forgot to add the starting 300 then add the 600 so in reality for a (meager) 1800 you can counter a healer amazingly. Now lets think about leaderboards I rarely see people top 2000 (thats pushing it) So if someone full on went through Cauterize tada they have 200 gold spend on something else. Give them the bonus for only buying that item. To be honest you kinda triggered my dumb alert.

CountCarrion
09-28-2016, 04:42 PM
lol 900 gold really, nice you forgot to add the starting 300 then add the 600 so in reality for a (meager) 1800 you can counter a healer amazingly. Now lets think about leaderboards I rarely see people top 2000 (thats pushing it) So if someone full on went through Cauterize tada they have 200 gold spend on something else. Give them the bonus for only buying that item. To be honest you kinda triggered my dumb alert.

Very helpful. I didn't forget anything; the price for getting Cauterize to Level 2 is 300 + 600, and it provides a 60% reduction in healing, which is, amazingly, more than half.

VarenWolf
09-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Very helpful. I didn't forget anything; the price for getting Cauterize to Level 2 is 300 + 600, and it provides a 60% reduction in healing, which is, amazingly, more than half.

I'm not really bothered by it because 1. Not many people have dedication to use all gold to buy Cauterize in a match 2. Healing is rather strong considering the supports put out a high dps themselves to be honest 3. It keeps healers having to play a bit safer instead of being like yeah midline and I'll take damage and tada half hp back. (Pip) Who literally bounces around then heals himself just to bounce around again and tada he almost healed himself full.