PDA

View Full Version : What makes Paladins... Paladins?

RyuKaiser
09-25-2016, 11:48 AM
First and foremost, I'm not going to sit here and say "PALADINS VS OVERWATCH!". We've seen that stuff a million times. My message is, where the heck is Paladins' identity in all of this? Sure, fine, I do enjoy the Time To Kill on the game now, it's made matches a lot more faster and fun, but the defining trait of the game, the cards/decks feel incredibly lack luster, and the burn cards/whatever they're called now don't feel like anything fresh or new, just like some cheap add-on just to say you have it.

I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on the game earlier, still not now. I look at the old cards with a twinkle in my eye, they're glorious, they felt impactful, and let me build a character a certain way. I remembered when I could turn Skye from a ninja stealth crossbow girl into a poison-bolting harasser that could poison enemies down rapidly.

Now? Now I don't even know why Evie has an ice theme to her. Her shots don't chill, her abilities aren't all ice themed, she feels like two characters smashed together that never fit in the first place. Her soar, for instance, should have something chilling or freezing. Her shots should do the same, building frost on enemies or summons. Blink should lay a field of ice at her feet, or freeze enemies around her. Something fun, something INTERESTING, but instead she feels incredibly bland and lifeless. Hell, I remember when she had the skill to create 3 of herself that could burst her foes down with ice magic, but you took out several parts of her interesting kit to put in Ying, and increase your roster.

I just don't get it. I know that your community asked for this change. They said "we want more characters, less cards". Now the cards are just tacked on and have tiny bonuses that don't feel like they do jack or change your build in any unique ways. I'd even wager to say Battleborn did this aspect better than you, yet they went with leveling during the game, which made them fail pretty hard with that system. Yet that game has an identity, that game has a specific feel to it, everything feels like it fits, and the systems they have in place have impact and fit the game nicely, changing how your character acts during combat if you change enough.

Paladins... doesn't have that. At all.

It feels like it's in some weird middle ground of trying to have cards, yet not really mess with the characters in any way and have a ton of them, in this weird mix of Overwatch and Battleborn. Overwatch's TTK and focus on multiple heroes, but Battleborn's "You're stuck with that hero for the rest of the game" and attempt and extra customization via cards

I'm not trying to scream "OMFG PALADINS SUCKS!". But I will say I just don't feel any attachment to it beyond liking some of the character designs/costumes, and that the game just has no idea of what it wants to be or where it's going, and that genuinely concerns me as a player. I see a shooter with promise, but it takes everything bad from MOBAs, like burn cards, which feel like leveling returning to the game, and "only one hero at a time/this is your hero the entire game, and melds it with shooters, all while boasting customization that doesn't feel impactful at all.

I want Evie to scream I AM ICE to me when I'm using her, countering area control of enemy, or debilitating the enemy with slows and weakness. For Drogoz to feel like an incarnation of Fire, where he can be explosive Area of DAmage of Burning DOTs with incendary hell. To have my Skye back who could either go "backstabby" stealth assassin with high power shots from the rear, or harassing with powerful poisons meant to make enemies scramble. These characters CAN be cool, but the cards, and their skills, just have no UMPH to them, y'know?

Sorry for the rant, but after seeing all the "Paladins Vs!" bullcrap going on, I wanted to finally give my take that wasn't just "such a bad game!". So many people just throw a bunch of negativity and don't give any actual depth, or ideas to help fix what's wrong.

Jusey1
09-25-2016, 11:56 AM
The VS crap is always going to happen, and with Overwatch finally making the team-based shooter genre a huge success, this is going to happen a lot more with Overwatch than other games... Fresh meat and all.

naturespirit
09-25-2016, 12:07 PM
I don't see how the cards are lackluster, I have a different barik loadout than the default now and it makes him so much better and way more of a frontline hero.

Different loadouts will completely change how you play a class.

BearfangTuskcarver
09-25-2016, 12:19 PM
I agree, I think the cards are one of the best things about this game. The idea that I can gain mobility and trade AoE heal range off on Pip, or sprint better in exchange for grenade power on Viktor, is a lot of fun. I feel the cards are well priced, so I can earn the ones I'm interested in at a good clip.

I'm always excited to go the Loadout Screen and try out a new build, and I think that says a LOT about the game. I would be interested in seeing more cards that allowed you to break role, like swapping out a damage power for a Self-buff, getting always on passive heals on a DPS so you can flank, ect. Even if certain cards can't combo to help balance, for example not being able to give Viktor no recoil, max speed, and passive regen.

DontClickMe
09-25-2016, 12:40 PM
First of all, the biggest thing that makes me enjoy Paladins is Sky's ult. I just love how it makes games so fun!.... (JK)

For me, Paladins is Paladins because I can bring friends in from mobas such as Smite and League without any pay walls, unlike Overwatch. THAT is the most important thing for me when it's about bringing friends who are new to the game to try it out.

Secondly, the awesome art style. I have over 1400 hours of TF2 logged on Steam and the art style of Paladins brings me right back to the good times of TF2.

Thirdly, the cards. Enough said there.

Anderen
09-25-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't see how the cards are lackluster, I have a different barik loadout than the default now and it makes him so much better and way more of a frontline hero.

How often during a match do you switch out to a different deck? Barik is a front line fighter, so that's not a complete change of his game play, it's not even a change.

The cards are what made Paladins stand out and they should have remained very important. By now characters should be referenced by a deck name like Bunker Barik, Booster Barik, or Assault Barik. No one ever does that because the decks don't alter the character that much.

The decks should be changed often in a match and part of the game's strategy should be building decks to adapt characters to the changing situations of a fight. Having trouble holding the point? Well perhaps your team has decks to help. Does the Enemy team have a very good Skye who's dominating? Perhaps you have a deck that's good against her. Not enough support? Ying used to be able to alter between heals and DPS with her decks, now it seems we'll have less of that instead of more. :(

FenexDragonis
09-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Simple... hi-rez's pathetic matchmaking... Allowing, encouraging, incentivizing.. teamstacking as a means of gaining a handicap.... the lack of concern for casual players... a ranked bracket that doesnt allow party play, but a casual that does... lack of foresight all over the place.. i could go on and on

PGNAdmonish
09-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Based on your forum join date Im guessing you are a rather new player to Paladins, and by that I mean you most likely joined sometime after patch 30. If this is not the case I apologize for the assumption.

However if it is the case then I can understand why you might take this stance on Paladins card system. That reason being that you were not here to witness Paladins old loadout (aka cards) system. If that is indeed the case then you wouldn't understand just how much customization they removed from the loadouts system. Before you could literally totally change the characters focus. Now they have just taken all of those separate focuses and built them directly into the character. This means that the champs specialize in a general area (flank,damage,etc) in a specific way, but that way cannot be changed. Only stats can be changed now. Not the core focus of a champ.

ChaosAnimagic
09-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Originally Card System, but that's practically revamp into regular Talent system.

So... current Paladin is just another regular Hero Shooter no different from any of the other ones. Maybe except for being F2P.

Protekt1
09-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Paladins is a hero shooter with loadouts and some in game progression. That's the identity. What else is required?

VikingWarrior
09-26-2016, 07:07 AM
http://s13.postimg.org/i6fl353gn/CT6_Kx8r_Ws_AAKfmg.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ivydfi403/)

RyuKaiser
09-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Based on your forum join date Im guessing you are a rather new player to Paladins, and by that I mean you most likely joined sometime after patch 30. If this is not the case I apologize for the assumption.

However if it is the case then I can understand why you might take this stance on Paladins card system. That reason being that you were not here to witness Paladins old loadout (aka cards) system. If that is indeed the case then you wouldn't understand just how much customization they removed from the loadouts system. Before you could literally totally change the characters focus. Now they have just taken all of those separate focuses and built them directly into the character. This means that the champs specialize in a general area (flank,damage,etc) in a specific way, but that way cannot be changed. Only stats can be changed now. Not the core focus of a champ.

Pretty much. It's not necessarily that I want a complete and total "role change", but I want to feel like I can control the way some of my abilities work, that I have choices, rather than tiny lil buffs that lower cooldowns or give me a little extra HP.

Also, personally, the heroes feel very lackluster, both in character and in traits that define them, that make them feel powerful. Like I stated, half of Evie's kit has nothing to do with ice, yet her entire backstory focuses on a being of ice that she sealed/absorbed/whatever and got her thrown out of the group she was working in. She has two escape abilities, blinking forward and soaring, and her one ice ability... is an ice block where she just stands there and heals, Blizzard ability not witstanding.

Kadurkel
09-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Paladins??