PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaking

Nam1co
09-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Hello, i guess mm of this game a little broken. I has been played this game about 1 month and already matched vs top players in casual mode. I looked ladders after macthes and there are guys from top-20 and even top-1 per champion. And they are matched versus me, usual casual player. I think it is broken system, they have to play vs the same opponents. And btw they ruin my fun of this game.

Raptoriuzz
09-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Welcome to HiRez game based on matchmaking system.

FenexDragonis
09-25-2016, 03:44 AM
Welcome to HiRez game based on matchmaking system.

i could not have said it better myself...

well the issue according to hi-rez (and has been the same thing though out closed beta).. the problem is due to a lack of active players online in queue at any given point and time... yet with the game now moved into open beta more players are coming in.... yet the problem is getting worse?!?!

TBH its sad but refrencing back to hi-rez previous game smite, the matchmaking there has the EXACT same problems as the matchmaking here does.. whats funny about this is... smite diddnt always have this problem.. infact it really diddnt start becoming serious untill the start of season 2.. yet this game which is still in closed beta already has this problem...

allow me to list a few REAL reasons the problem exists (along with a gurantee hi-rez will never address ANY of them)
#1 Forcing Solo players to share a queue with Partied players- all this really does is create an incentive to play in partys due to the high likely hood of getting matched against a pick up group... thus it becomes a means creating an unfair playing field.. furthermore, these partys arent going to just consist of 5 random players.. there going full of players who are typically communicating and understand the game.. these players dont want to constantly get stuck carrying weak/refuse to learn players.. as such you end up with a solo queue where the number of less than capable players drastically out number the capable ones..
- the solution is to create a optional casual queue for Solo players

#2 the esports disease.. every game thats built around the esports concept shares this problem (Dota2/lol/smite/paladins)... which basically is a huge skill level gap in the community... one one end you have the less than capable players (TEAM SHORTBUS).. on the other side you have the Tryhards/"im gunna be the next esports superstar" delusional players/ and the "its not my fault we lost my team sucks" guy on the bottom of the scoreboard..
long story short.. the middle ground is the adverage skill level casual players.. who get basically chased off by both these groups, god knows it gets really old when matchmaking expects you to carry 4 players whom are playing Team deathmatch or were raised on a diet of lead based paint, or having to deal with the kiddies who cry and complain about how its everyone elses fault that the game was lost... i hate to say it but this problem exists in most of the more popular esports titles.. and with hi-rez trying to force feed this game into esports its only going to get worse..

sadly the same matchmaking problems have plagued smite for over a year and a half now.. hi-rez refuses to acknowledge any problem.. much less do anything about it.... and sadly with the exact same problems manifesting here this early in this games life... and hi-rez's past with these issues, i think its safe to assume its only going to get worse.... but when it comes to this game as someone whos been around since the middle of closed beta.... hi-rez loves to lack foresight and do everything as backwords as they possably can..

oversite #1.. steam barik skin- problem here isnt the promotion. its the execution and the skin itself.... way to encourage people to think all barik does is drop turrets and is just engineer.. (god knows every time i see a barik player doing this it just makes me want to go afk in spawn)... further more they could of made it "get 5 wins with a barik on your team" "Play 5 games as bairk"... but no they had to make it "get 5 wins AS barik" only resulting in people fighting over him and throwing fits and queue dodging when they dont... i havent seen so much queue dodging since victors release..

Oversite #2.. 5man partys are okay in casual queue.. but partys of any size are not allowed in ranked... i understand ranked was just released and there is testing to be done... BUT REALLY?!?!?!?! you will allow players to use teamstacking as a means of gaining a handicap in casual... but in ranked the place where it actually belongs its wrong..

long story short.. its another game that will only survive due to hi-rez and there wonderful focus on "catering to the lowest common denomnator within the community.. and catering to esports" instead of focusing on esports and the adverage casual player (CASUALS ARE WHERE THE MONEY IS IN FREE TO PLAY HI-REZ)...

The absolute best thing hi-rez could do for this game is create a Matchmaking queue for SOLO players.... but they wont for 2 reasons
#1 it would result in longer queues.. and god forbid i spend 5 minutes in queue for a quality match versus 2-3 minutes in queue for a completely one sided game..
#2 (this is half serious half satirical) the people running partys would cry because there queue times would be longer.. and there would be a higher chance of getting matched against another party.. and they loose their handicap.

Point is.. are there things that can be done to improve matchmaking... yes, but sadly hi-rez seems to value match quantity(Queue times) over match quality..

its so simple if they were to create a solo queue.. they could use that as a means of gathering more accurate data.. to find the holes in matchmaking to fix them...

ImTrash
09-25-2016, 06:19 AM
Well, as he said, there are few players to be matched agasint so they match you with better players etc. Maybe someday they will make a level based MM or W/L based MM etc.

Nam1co
09-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Guys from top 100 every champion should play between themselves... Not like now they are gonna stomp casuals and stream or youtube this like super pro skill. Why dont they matches vs equal skill players? Or why they dont stay at the ranked queue? Afraid of losing their placement? So make the system to decrease rank for inactive. Why should we, casual players, get rekt vs guys who plays 10-15 hours every day? This is ridicolous.

brutam0ntes
09-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Yeah, the matchmaking here is really bad.. It looks so unorganized..

SenatorBird
09-25-2016, 03:39 PM
According to steam charts we have around 40k players playing... Do we really have a few players to be matched against?
I've seen this happen to games that have a peak of 200 people... but not 40k.

Albert2006xp
09-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Honestly I've come here just to complain about this, I've been playing for 20 hours, and I never really fail hard in a game, but somehow there are players in my game either on my team or the enemy's that clearly shouldn't be there. Players that don't even buy items, at all, or that do something like 8k damage all game, buy all the wrong items if they buy any. Forget the really good players, at least I have something to learn from them, the problem is these people that should be in a very low MMR range, and shouldn't be matched in my games. I was accepting of it in the first 5 or so hours, because sure, in any game at the start, it will match you with all kinds of people since you all started playing. But it's getting ridiculous. I want to get to competitive and I'm almost there with the levels but I lack the will to deal with this stuff.

FenexDragonis
09-26-2016, 01:45 AM
Honestly I've come here just to complain about this, I've been playing for 20 hours, and I never really fail hard in a game, but somehow there are players in my game either on my team or the enemy's that clearly shouldn't be there. Players that don't even buy items, at all, or that do something like 8k damage all game, buy all the wrong items if they buy any. Forget the really good players, at least I have something to learn from them, the problem is these people that should be in a very low MMR range, and shouldn't be matched in my games. I was accepting of it in the first 5 or so hours, because sure, in any game at the start, it will match you with all kinds of people since you all started playing. But it's getting ridiculous. I want to get to competitive and I'm almost there with the levels but I lack the will to deal with this stuff.

count yourself lucky.. as your play time gets higher.. and your account level grows it will get worse and worse... eventually to the point matchmaking will expect you to carry 4 idiots...

the point i was making in my wall of text.. is basically explaining how it seems they just converted the smite Matchmaking formula to fit paladins.. furthermore hi-rez is more concerned with match quantity(short queue times) than match quality.. meaning they would rather have 150 games an hour and every one be a complete onesided steam roll ... than 75 games that are evenly matched..

all i am saying is given hi-rez's past track record with this issue.. only expect it to get worse... i cant speak on the side of players that play in partys regularly but lets be real here... if the solo players are having this issue most likely the party players are getting onesided games.. the fact of the matter is...hi-rez DOES NOTHING to try to even the playing feild... infact they encourage the playing feild to be uneven... refer a friend rewards = LETS REWARD TEAMSTACKING... great idea hi-rez.. lets encourage the BIGGEST contributing factor to matchmaking issues...

if hi-rez was smart, what they would do.. is create a No-party Casual queue bracket.... use that for data collection then use that data to find the problems in matchmaking and try to resolve them... but hi-rez does not deem that worth there time... they would rather you play spend 2 minutes in queue for a game thats a complete blow out and ends in 10 minutes... than spend 5 minutes in queue for a game thats actually a challenge and lasts 20 minutes...

its quantity over quality when it comes to hi-rez and matchmaking... and they wonder their casual player base is a revolving door...

Kadurkel
09-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Matchmaking only seems to take into account your account level, but not skill level :S

I highly doubt all players in my game are even within 500 MMR of me. Let alone 100 MMR like it should be.

FenexDragonis
09-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Matchmaking only seems to take into account your account level, but not skill level :S

I highly doubt all players in my game are even within 500 MMR of me. Let alone 100 MMR like it should be.

wont matter as long as Players are allowed to run premades.. and solo players are forced to share a queue with premades the problem will never go away....

lets be real here.. who likes playing with those players who are playing Team deathmatch(flankers are partly immune to this)...not siege? anyone who grasps the game... who enjoys constantly getting placed with players who TDM or refuse to learn the game... or want to be solo artists? no one.. so what happens is these players who grasp the game, and actually want to try and win games.. resort to building 5 man partys (well lets be honest matchmaking seems to reward this behavior by matching premades against pugs) so what ends up happening so you end up, end up with a queue full of players who grasp the game running premades... as such newer players(or those who refuse to learn) most of them wont be running partys as there trying to learn the game and get a feel for it.... but because most of the time there getting stuck with the Team deathmatchers and "its everyone elses fault i refuse to learn" crowd.. they get sick of constantly loosing games... eventually getting so fed up they quit playing..
so in a nutshell you have a system that rewards party play..and at the same time punishes solo play.... im not saying this is the only problem but its the main one...

like ive said before if you have any expectation that hi-rez will address matchmaking... you dont know hi-rez, the for almost 2 years smite has had the EXACT same issues with matchmaking.. but hi-rez refuses to say or do anything about it...despite massive community outcry on the issue.. so to expect them to do any diffrent here is unrealistic...

again we need to band together and petition and push for a Casual solo queue... instead of the clusterfuck that casual is in its current state... as all hi-rez will ever say is "the problem with matchmaking is due to not having enough players in queue"... yet since this game went into open beta.. the player base has skyrocketed... and the problem has only become worse..... I recall back in Closed beta, when the payload game mode also existed.. for an average player siege was literally unplayable.. because it was over run with premades, so i can only immagine its going to become really bad once payload comes back into the game... seige will return to being the game mode that runs on "teamstack and steam roll or solo queue and get steamrolled"...

Albert2006xp
09-27-2016, 04:32 AM
I agree team stacking should never be allowed in a competitive game. But as long as it's not allowed in competitive, eh, I can live with losing a few casual games because the enemy team is too good. What I can't stand is the blatant disregard for MMR on both teams. Even with premades, you'd have to have a really high MMR player to balance it out, but I doubt that's the case.

Look at this screenshot I took yesterday

http://i.imgur.com/mfuGF9Z.jpg

There is no way those 10 people are all within even 1000 MMR/ELO of each other. I call bull. I played mobas and competitive games for years, I know having a bad game, but I also know when someone is clearly in over their head. If I play against Bronze in LoL I go 50/0, want to know how often that happened ever since I started ranked in season 1? Never. Because not even in normals, that game doesn't let me play against Bronze.

Look at that. Evie bought 3 upgrades into the "heal outside of combat" and no aggressive stuff. 3 26. That Pip's damage is ridiculous for Pip in a 20 minute game. Drogoz was afk parts of the game and still did fine damage.

Then there's the enemy, their Ruckus basically didn't turn on their shield all game except for two times? Just because they're on both teams doesn't mean it's balanced. This is just incompetence from Hi-Rez, this match shouldn't happen unless it was literally the first ~5 matches since you started playing and it had nobody's MMR right, but it isn't. I have over 100 I'm sure.