PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about self damage?

Miragen
09-21-2016, 06:49 PM
There was a topic a little bit earlier about this, and I would have posted it there but the purpose from OP was different so I don't want to derail that.

So first off, how do you feel about self damage? Affecting a few champions, Pip, Drogoz, Bomb King and Evie as far as I know.
Do you think these champions need self damage, does it balance them out in any way, should they be punished for attacking or defending close quarters?

Secondly, I tested the self damage from these different champions with their main weapon (without self damage reduction cards) and it came out like this:

Pip- 400 self damage
Bomb King - 225 self damage
Drogoz- 200 self damage
Evie- 100 self damage

This is all point blank, below your own feet damage, so not taking AoE falloff damage into consideration here, which I assume won't make a lot of difference either way.

Now Pip seems to take a significant amount of self damage here, even though he has the lowest damage output at 600, taking a whopping 66% of self damage.

Pip 600 damage - 66% self damage.
Drogoz 950 damage, 21% self damage.
Evie 930 damage, with only 11% of self damage.
Bomb King 1000 damage - 22.5% self damage
(although I believe in practice he hits for 900, and not the listed 1000, which would make it 25%)

I personally do not understand this spread of self damage, as it's very inconsistent, and Pip takes a huge chunk of damage for which I cannot find a good explanation.

Would love to hear your thought on the whole concept of self damage, and how you feel about these statistics regarding them.

ChineseCopy
09-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Get gud. you're a support as pip, you have zero reasons to be near any damage source that isn't an evie or skye flanking you.

Miragen
09-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Get gud. you're a support as pip, you have zero reasons to be near any damage source that isn't an evie or skye flanking you.

So he should take 400 damage for trying to defend himself against Skye and Evie?

yifflord
09-21-2016, 09:27 PM
i've never had an issue with self damage and i like playing 3/4 of these

it's a nonissue

Trizzdog
09-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Makes these champions vulnerable in close quarters, which I prefer as a design choice. And if all but Drogoz want to brawl, they can take a card to negate the self damage.

That said, normalizing the self damage might be a good idea.

Miragen
09-21-2016, 09:56 PM
i've never had an issue with self damage and i like playing 3/4 of these

it's a nonissue

Then should it even exist? And shouldn't they all be treated equally?

I agree that it's not a huge deal, but with Pip I hit myself often enough with the invisible hitboxes around the payload, and why would Pip take tons of damag whilst Evie barely takes any?

Chofranc
09-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Well, i think that they put that like that to incentive the long range combat of those champs but i agree that is a little unnecessary.

Maybe they run out of an idea for a new card for those champ and they decided to let they the self damage as an forced excuse to create a card that reduce their self-damage.

Is not a big deal but reducing your own life is a little annoying.

yifflord
09-21-2016, 11:51 PM
Then should it even exist? And shouldn't they all be treated equally?

I agree that it's not a huge deal, but with Pip I hit myself often enough with the invisible hitboxes around the payload, and why would Pip take tons of damag whilst Evie barely takes any?

well
evie needs to be right on top of someone to hit what might be the slowest moving projectile in the game, and it's her only reliable source of damage, and pip should never be close enough to what hes shooting at to hurt him

it simply raises the skill caps of the champions slightly, because at higher levels positioning can probably be punished harder

Madye
09-22-2016, 07:26 AM
I've played with them, and I don't think it's an issue (I don't even bother to reduce self damage in my loadouts), but the fact that the damage they receive from their own shot is that different, is pretty unfair. They should choose a % of self damage afflicted by explosive, and apply it to every champ using 'em.
We also need to keep in mind that those champions all have a mobility skills, allowing them to distance themselve from the target if they need to.

Miragen
09-22-2016, 08:24 AM
I personally don't feel it adds a lot, but the current spread seems unfair at the very least if they do want to keep the mechanic. 66% for Pip seems a whole lot.