PDA

View Full Version : The scoring system

Dvelop
09-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Been playing since CB 2 and the only time i've ever come on the forums to create a thread and give feedback is when the way to win a game is broken. Last time i suggested winning off defense should be removed it was implimented the next patch. Coincidence? Probably, but it just goes to show that Hi-Rez may need a little help along the way to get some common sense every now and then.

Some people ask me, "Geeze Dvelop, explain like I am 5 as to why the scoring system is a clown fest to laugh at"

Team A wins 3 neutral objectives

Team B wins 3 advantageous objectives (Defenses)

Yet both teams receive same amount of points.

Team B wins 1 neutral objective 90-100 and wins the game.

How is this at all a balanced way to score any game? An attacking team has to run further to an objective as they advance and a defending team gets to spawn closer to the same objective. How is it balanced that a defending team is rewarded just as much as a team who won a neutral objective where spawns are the same distance away.

Bring back something like the old scoring system:

8 To win
2 for a nuetral
1 for a succesful attack
1 for a defense
no winning off defense.

It just makes more sense.

ZionPulse
09-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Wuuuuuuuut CB2? wut lvl are U?

Kadurkel
09-18-2016, 08:25 PM
I noticed exactly the same thing lately. Always losing the capture point and you know the whole time your team could never get it. The last 5 or 10 minutes of the game are basically a waste of time since it's inevitable.

I personally would like to see a much more consistent scoring system that doesn't rely on capturing the point too much. A possible implementation:

Both teams attack and defend alternately, 3 rounds on each side, for a total of 6 rounds
1 point will be scored for every 2% completion of the current phase, for a total of 50 points per phase and 100 points total per attacking round
100 bonus points for actually delivering the payload
The attacking team first has 2 minutes to capture the point
If the point hasn't been captured, the round ends and the attacking team misses the opportunity to earn the second 50 points of this round
If the attacking team has captured the point successfully, the attacking team receives the full 50 points and the payload spawns. The attacking team now has 3 minutes to push the payload to the enemy base
The need for overtime has been eliminated with this scoring system

If there are 3 attacking rounds for both teams, both teams have the potential to earn 600 points. The system needs to calculate every scoring update if the other team still has the chance to at least tie, if not then the attacking team won the game.

Other idea's that would make it even more fun and skill-intensive:

Add more objectives and/or buffs to the maps
You could also do things like give the defending team a head start of 20 seconds to take positions

BDra
09-19-2016, 04:45 AM
CB2 didn't exist... Patch 7 was the first Closed Beta patch, everything before that was alpha...

Anyway, there's lots of ways to handle points. They've been put before Hi-Rez multiple times and they've even changed it a few times. Are there better ways to handle scoring? Yes, but there will be a problem with all of them.

Thiau
09-19-2016, 05:16 AM
yep totaly agree . Scoring system makes no sense at all , especialy when defending is so advantageus . btw on defense you have longer death timer , not that it makes a difference .

The biggest problem i have with it is the condition not to win on defence .

Team A Won Raund 1 and Got 2 points .

Team A captured round 2 , failed at pushing . Score 3-1 .

Team B captured and failed the push Raund 3. score 3-2.

Team B captured and failed the push Round 4 . Score 3-3 .

Team B captured and won Raund 5.

Team B got 1 free point from round 2 witch team A never got . This is litteraly a free point in game that didint exist for the other team , why have 2 different scoring mechanics for each team ...

Not winning on defense is fine (that mechanic just approves that defending is easier), but not when the points dissapear and enemy team benifited from it at the start of the game .

BDra
09-19-2016, 05:21 AM
yep totaly agree . Scoring system makes no sense at all , especialy when defending is so advantageus . btw on defense you have longer death timer , not that it makes a difference .

The biggest problem i have with it is the condition not to win on defence .

Team A Won Raund 1 and Got 2 points .

Team A captured round 2 , failed at pushing . Score 3-1 .

Team B captured and failed the push Raund 3. score 3-2.

Team B captured and failed the push Round 4 . Score 3-3 .

Team B captured and won Raund 5.

Team B got 1 free point from round 2 witch team A never got . This is litteraly a free point in game that didint exist for the other team , why have 2 different scoring mechanics for each team ...

Not winning on defense is fine (that mechanic just approves that defending is easier), but not when the points dissapear and enemy team benifited from it at the start of the game .

Well that can be solved by putting in a 2 point difference system. But if you do that it can go on forever unless you put a maximum (for example 7-7, with a possibility to win 8-6) and have the game end in a Tie after that.

But all systems have problems, some people don't like a possibility to end in a Tie.

Thiau
09-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Well that can be solved by putting in a 2 point difference system. But if you do that it can go on forever unless you put a maximum (for example 7-7, with a possibility to win 8-6) and have the game end in a Tie after that.

But all systems have problems, some people don't like a possibility to end in a Tie.

Tie would be fine , especialy in competitive . Cs go has that .

Kadurkel
09-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Are there better ways to handle scoring? Yes, but there will be a problem with all of them.

I guess you haven't read my implementation yet :p

Dvelop
09-23-2016, 01:14 PM
CB2 didn't exist... Patch 7 was the first Closed Beta patch, everything before that was alpha...

Awe yes you are right; none-the-less i thought Nov 18 was CB2 which is entirely wrong it was just the second day of CB.