PDA

View Full Version : Paladins is nothing like Overwatch; Makoa means Fearless Warrior!

Phoenixgamez
07-29-2016, 08:43 PM
I swear, I've seen this too much. Paladins is nothing near a copy of overwatch and I assure you I've done my research. Lets be honest, if paladins came first everyone would be saying overwatch was a paladins copy! I have done all I can to prove you all about why this is "Paladins is just a overwatch copy" is false.

Before I want to get into specific characters I just want to point out the few obvious! For starters Paladins is in BETA (More like ALPHA but doesn't really matter) This means it isn't finished and comparing it to a game that has more money and people put into it's work which has been polished and heavily advertised is unfair. Not to mention Paladins has some very obvious differences like its card system, unique characters and art style and the way both in game and real life economy works. This game is free while you have to purchase Overwatch which is something that Paladins has over overwatch!

Now before I get to the characters that are already in game lets discuss the new kid in school, Makoa. He isn't even out and people are already calling him a roadhog copy... what? How can you when you've only seen one ability and not even his main attack! Yeah he has a hook but roadhog wasn't the first to have this ability! Out of the two games it was fernando who first had a hook like ability. Yeah sure it was more like a fire rope but its pretty much the same thing. Also his weapon is not a shotgun, that weapon belongs to Buck. It looks like a cannon but who knows. Also have you seen the names of his other datamined abilities? Ancient Rage, Shellspin, Dredge, Smash and Whirlpool? Nothing like roadhog here that is for sure! Now the last thing is his name: Makoa. Oh Roadhog's real name is Mako? That must been they are copying overwatch right? I mean adding an A at the end of Mako? NOPE! If you were bothered to search it up, Makoa is a very popular name in HAWAIIN. It means Fearless Warrior! To me this is just pure brilliance on Hi-Rez's part. Not only is he hawaiin themed but that name not only suits his class but his appearance! A big bulky warrior! Makoa = Fearless Warrior in Hawaiin. Don't believe me? http://www.behindthename.com/submit/names/usage/hawaiian or just search up 'Makoa in Hawaiin'.

Viktor. Yes he seems like a soldier 76 copy but nope... In fact you could say soldier 76 is a copy of basic call of duty characters... and well they both are! These characters are both designed to make people coming from classic FPS games to feel comfortable playing a whole new game, to make them use to it! That's how they are designed! Not to mention Viktor has 3 different abilities to soldier 76. I don't have much else to say about him.

So please stop this ridiculous nonsense! Because Drogoz isn't copied from Pharah or Junkrat. Androxus isn't copied from Reaper. Barik isn't copied from torbjorn and so on. Please do some research before even saying that they are similar to one another! Because I have had enough and I am sure Hi-Rez has too!

SpideyP00p
07-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Careful dude, you're poking the bee hive with this post haha

Phoenixgamez
07-29-2016, 09:27 PM
But it's true and needs to be said!

ZionPulse
07-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Here that? It's the collective sound of OW fanboys getting their minds blown across the internet, aaaaaaahhh, so good!

Izekio
07-29-2016, 09:45 PM
The older players under stand this. New players don't. It comes to the point where you just have to ignore the players who don't understand. Like I said in a previous post, generic things about characters are consider copy of other games since its not original. However its nearly impossible to make a completely original game.

Phoenixgamez
07-29-2016, 10:08 PM
Here that? It's the collective sound of OW fanboys getting their minds blown across the internet, aaaaaaahhh, so good!

Yes, Yes it is!

The older players under stand this. New players don't. It comes to the point where you just have to ignore the players who don't understand. Like I said in a previous post, generic things about characters are consider copy of other games since its not original. However its nearly impossible to make a completely original game.

Of course. But ignoring them doesn't do anything to help the company and game grow in fact it's making Paladins look bad and driving away these newer players! Not everyone will understand but they need to stop spreading around messages that harm the company. Like I said I did my research and found out why these characters are designed to do what they do. I saved everyone time by telling them why Hi-Rez created them like this and hopefully newer and younger players will read and understand/think about this and stop comparing or at least see it from another perspective. If they don't then it is going to affect the company. That is why I wrote this.

KicksBrickster
07-29-2016, 11:31 PM
There are definitely similarities, but the same can be said of any game of the same genre. I mean, look at Terraria and Minecraft for a great example. Both are block-based sandbox adventure games. Both include mining, fighting monsters, and collecting resources to survive. Both use a pixel-based art style. Are they similar? Yes. Is Minecraft a blatant copy of Terraria? No. Both are inspired by each other, and other games of a similar genre.

I think it is safe to say that Paladins is inspired by Overwatch. Overwatch is in turn inspired by TF2. All three have similarities, because to fit into the team FPS genre you must have certain things. Despite the similarities, Paladins is still it's own unique game, and definitely has it's own take on the genre.

Phoenixgamez
07-29-2016, 11:35 PM
There are definitely similarities, but the same can be said of any game of the same genre. I mean, look at Terraria and Minecraft for a great example. Both are block-based sandbox adventure games. Both include mining, fighting monsters, and collecting resources to survive. Both use a pixel-based art style. Are they similar? Yes. Is Minecraft a blatant copy of Terraria? No. Both are inspired by each other, and other games of a similar genre.

I think it is safe to say that Paladins is inspired by Overwatch. Overwatch is in turn inspired by TF2. All three have similarities, because to fit into the team FPS genre you must have certain things. Despite the similarities, Paladins is still it's own unique game, and definitely has it's own take on the genre.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself! Not to mention these two were in development at the same time so none could have really copied each other. Inspiration is definitely there, for both sides. But none are copies, they are their own takes on the concept of the new 'hero shooters' genre. Also there are always going to be basic character characteristics such as a rocket launcher, sniper, tank etc

Izekio
07-30-2016, 06:48 AM
Another way to deal with these players is to tell them to look up Chinese Over Watch rip off. It is exactly the same game right down to the hud but reskin basically. That right there is a rip off of a game.

iPatriot
07-30-2016, 10:20 AM
It's your opinion. I have another opinion!

MasterTeisel
07-30-2016, 11:05 AM
Are we back in the 90s when Ryo from Art of Figthing was accused of being a copy of Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter? Come on, who really cares if the game is fun. In all classes based games some roles get so characteristics that they become mandatory.

We got a champion with turrets, because that was sucessful in TF2. We got someone with a explosive jump, because rocket jumping was a thing in classic arena shooters. And we got many stuff directly taken from MOBA games, because that's what rocks nowdays in the competitive world.

dusan4
07-30-2016, 11:52 AM
The thing is: the game from a less popular company is AAALWAYS a copy. AAALWAYS!!! Cause people are idiots. Hi-Rez plus is always in touch with the community and cares about it (100 times) more then overwatch. Blizzard just makes you buy lootboxes everyday to get skins and you have a high duplicate chance, plus their game costs 60 freaking dollars. And people don't care. But hey, it's just us, paladins fans (sarcasm, it sounds stupid cause I'm saying this but some people won't actually realize that).